PDA

View Full Version : Whale death - should the rescue have been attempted?

chance
23-01-2006, 09:24
In a way i think no as if they hadnt of done it would the whale of survived and maybe foulnd his own way out but then he may of died anyway then we would all be complaining because we didnt try,so yes i think they had to attempt it.

Angeltigger
23-01-2006, 09:29
The whale was in the wrong kind of water so he/She would have died anyway. But i am glad that people try to help him/she. but than i don't know the whole story as i don't live in London no-more:crying:. i think that there was not enought water for the whale

Luna
23-01-2006, 09:33
it was confirmed this morning that it was a she!!

i think they done the right thing they tried their best to save the poor thing

Debs
23-01-2006, 10:10
yes i think they should have rescued her it a shame she died but at least they tried ot help her

di marco
23-01-2006, 10:15
yes i think they should have rescued her it a shame she died but at least they tried ot help her

yeh i agree, she would probably have died anyway if they didnt attempt to rescue her

Angeltigger
23-01-2006, 10:44
she would have done- like i said before- she was in the wrong type of water

JustJodi
23-01-2006, 10:51
My hubby said as soon as he heard,, they are gonna kill the whale,, I said huh,, he said when u mess with nature and try to HELP it only has a fatal result.. just like when u see a butterfly struggling out of its pod,, u dont go getting scissors to help it out,, nature takes its own course,,
Poor thing was confused and took a wrong turn. Also the whale died basically crushed by its own weight,, it was out of the water too long,, if these folks want to save a whale in the future then keep it IN water not out of water and keeping it wet,, just my HUMBLE OPINION AND 2 EURO CENTS WORTH:hmm:

Debs
23-01-2006, 10:53
My hubby said as soon as he heard,, they are gonna kill the whale,, I said huh,, he said when u mess with nature and try to HELP it only has a fatal result.. just like when u see a butterfly struggling out of its pod,, u dont go getting scissors to help it out,, nature takes its own course,,
Poor thing was confused and took a wrong turn. Also the whale died basically crushed by its own weight,, it was out of the water too long,, if these folks want to save a whale in the future then keep it IN water not out of water and keeping it wet,, just my HUMBLE OPINION AND 2 EURO CENTS WORTH:hmm:

what i didnt understand was why they took it out of the water??? it was in water on the little boats couldnt they have just kept it on that??

Angeltigger
23-01-2006, 10:56
Yeah see she needed to be in water- anyone would know that

JustJodi
23-01-2006, 10:59
what i didnt understand was why they took it out of the water??? it was in water on the little boats couldnt they have just kept it on that??

like i said they have to come up with a MUCH BETTER idea .. a whale is not like a dolphin or a porpoise,, a whale weighs a hugeeeeeeeee amount more,, they depend on the water for bouyancy for their weight......some of these DO GOODERS have to rethink what they are doing !!!!:mad:

di marco
23-01-2006, 11:55

thats what i thought too debs, surely any idiot knows a whale needs to be in water!

Behemoth
23-01-2006, 13:04
I'm glad they attempted to rescue the Whale because it would have died if they hadn't. Didn't anyone see it's skin? It was all cut because of all the junk in the Thames so I think that's why they had to take it out.

Angeltigger
23-01-2006, 13:06
whales Have to be in water

Behemoth
23-01-2006, 13:08
whales Have to be in water Well they were pouring water on to it. I'm sure they knew what they were doing - it's not like they are just some random people off the street.

lollymay
23-01-2006, 13:17
i think everyone did the best they could have done in the circumstances

Behemoth
23-01-2006, 13:19
i think everyone did the best they could have done in the circumstances Exactly.

I don't think any of us are in any position to judge the rescuers on the action they took. They knew what they were doing and they gave the whale the best possible chance.

JustJodi
23-01-2006, 13:21
I'm glad they attempted to rescue the Whale because it would have died if they hadn't. Didn't anyone see it's skin? It was all cut because of all the junk in the Thames so I think that's why they had to take it out.

Lets just hope that the wildlife rescue squad re thinks the next time they take another animal out of the water ! A completely different rescue plan should be implimented..for something as large as that whale. The moment they hoisted that poor creature out of the water that was the end of it,, :( AS I said before a whale is not the same size of a dolphin or a porpoise,,:(

dddMac1
23-01-2006, 14:56
i don't know but the the whale would of died anyway

squillyfer
23-01-2006, 15:56
I think they did right in at least trying to help but they maybe didnt go the best way about it

eastenderfan_91
23-01-2006, 16:19
i dont want to be ride not at all but i must say that the whale didnt have a chance it would get beached if it hadnt been moved and it was just an unfortunate result that it didnt survive i do agree with what they did because other wise the whale would have just been at the Thames for little children to after it had died it was best that the whale was out of sight from children when it died because no body wants their child to see a dead body at that age sorry if i have offended any one i have my opinion and i respect others

.:SpIcYsPy:.
23-01-2006, 16:19
Could it have died in filth prehaps? Yes I think so.. but maybe more care and water should have been given..

Kim
23-01-2006, 16:20
I said yes because that was the only chance the whale had of surviving.

Kim
23-01-2006, 16:21
Could it have died in filth prehaps? Yes I think so.. but maybe more care and water should have been given..

I agree about the more water and care thing.

Tori
23-01-2006, 16:30
it needed care and attention, and thats what they were trying to give

chance
23-01-2006, 17:41
they should have given jesse and randolph a bell :o

CrazyLea
23-01-2006, 17:58
i think they should have found a way of moving it in the water, to give it a better chance of surviving.

whos jesse and randolph haha

Cornishbabe
23-01-2006, 18:40
there was nothing to loose it would have died anyway. at least buy trying they gave it a go

di marco
23-01-2006, 20:06
i think they should have found a way of moving it in the water, to give it a better chance of surviving.

yeh thats what i thought too

Chloe-Elise
23-01-2006, 20:18
I think they had to try and save it at least, they did their best.

Abbie
23-01-2006, 22:19
I think they had to try and save it at least, they did their best.that is exactly what i was going to say!!! i think its a digrace they didnt try

Amz84
23-01-2006, 23:43
they couldnt of kept it in the water, as it would of drowned, as the water would of gone into its blow hole. unlike a fish it doesn't have gills therefore unable to filter water out. the only way she had a chance of surviving is by doing what they did. the bdmlr and other agencies involved are highly trained in these situations.

the whale would of been unable to find its own way out as her sonar would not be working properly as the thames is such a small enclosed space compared what the whale is used to.

Behemoth
24-01-2006, 07:27
the bdmlr and other agencies involved are highly trained in these situations.

Thank you! I'm glad someone has said that because it's exactly what I think.

How can any of us decide what the best course of action was when we have no knowledge of Whales except for what we've picked up in school or from the paper/tv? The rescuers knew what they were doing and did what they thought was necessary to give the Whale the best possible chance of survival.

myra129
24-01-2006, 12:18
They tried their best and you have to respect them for that.

Abbie
24-01-2006, 20:54
They tried their best and you have to respect them for that.yer its just so sad that the wahle doed did they come up with a name for the whale?

di marco
24-01-2006, 21:05
did they come up with a name for the whale?

erm probably not

Daisyduck
24-01-2006, 23:34
I was sad for the poor whale. the mod did this, we forget about all the sonar and bomb testing that goes on at sea what about the poor fish.
And what about all the people who give up there time to save the whale, and they all got bloody parking tickets all along the embankment the council should has not cashed in on this.

hazey
25-01-2006, 14:32
I was sad for the poor whale. the mod did this, we forget about all the sonar and bomb testing that goes on at sea what about the poor fish.
And what about all the people who give up there time to save the whale, and they all got bloody parking tickets all along the embankment the council should has not cashed in on this. The M.O.D are doing testing all the time and don't tell us, there must have been something going on as they found a dead porpuss,Dolphin type creature at Putney Bridge. Once again the traffic warden, had to leap in and make some money,out of a sad event, so typical of the local council.

Behemoth
25-01-2006, 15:43
All the traffic fines were waived.

chance
25-01-2006, 21:46

jesse and randolph were the guys n free willy,who saved willy!!

chance
25-01-2006, 22:00
the thames whale died from severe dehydration,muscle damage and kidney problems a post mortem has revealed