PDA

View Full Version : Equality for Everyone?

di marco
09-01-2006, 08:02
we had to have this discussion about equality in one of our lessons the other week, and so i was wondering, what are your views on equality. should everyone be completely equal, so that everyone gets the same income, owns the same property, goods and services are distributed on a needs not a wants basis? or should people just be equal in the fact that everyone gets education and health, then what they do with their life is up to them, and if they want to earn a lot and they work for it then thats fine? just wondering what everyone thought about this issue thats all

Siobhan
09-01-2006, 09:42
I agree with the second part, equal education and health and that it is up to the person what they do with there lives. Equal wealth is not possible as some people work harder that other eg doctors, nurses, firemen etc... if it was equal wealth than people would not understand the value of money.. I also think that things should be more affordable and that some countries should not have higher prices on things...

I don't think there can be equality among the sexes as there are things men can do that women can't and vice versa... it doesn't mean that some men/women can go and do each other jobs just that men are better at some things and women at others

dddMac1
09-01-2006, 15:53
i believe everyone is Equal regardless of Sex/Age/Religion/Disability

pops110874
09-01-2006, 16:47
i believe everyone is Equal regardless of Sex/Age/Religion/Disability

I agree with that.

Dont think the equal income thing is a good idea.

People spend years training to become doctors, laywers and accountants etc. Do you really think they should earn the same as a bin man or a checkout assistant?

Siobhan
09-01-2006, 17:00
I agree with that.

People spend years training to become doctors, laywers and accountants etc. Do you really think they should earn the same as a bin man or a checkout assistant?

binmen get paid a lot more than you think.. it is called "dirt money" cause nobody wants to do that job and it does involve a higher risk job

Katy
09-01-2006, 17:12
The thing i disagree with most is that if you get more money your kids can get a better education, and te whole private school fiasco. I think that fair enough everyone works for there money. But i thnk everone should get equal healtcare.

Emma-Lou
09-01-2006, 18:31
I think everyone should be treated equally no matter there race/religion etc but there income should be different.i agree of what has been said above its not fair if you have trained for years to be a doctor or lawyer etc and you get paid the same as someone who works in a shop.We were discussing this in a class also a little while ago.

Jade
09-01-2006, 20:19
Well comunism doesnt work! ie China, Russia, maybe on a smaller scale like with tribes, but you still have to have a person/people to distribute the wealth (and ends up as a dictatorship/tyrancy)

Equal pay for gender/race/disability I agree with and I hope were going in the right direction with this, although we still have a way to go.

I really dont think people should be paid the same across the board, but certain prfessions need to be paid more, for example nurses.

The minimum wage also needs to be raised

crazy_purple
09-01-2006, 20:42
A communist-type system where everyone is supposed to be equal doesn't end up working because there has to be someone at the top in charge of it all, and they get all the money etc. and are often corrupt. "All animals are equal - but some animals are more equal than others".

Abi
09-01-2006, 21:33
I think that public services, such as Education, Health care etc should be avalible to everyone, and in that respect, everyone should be equal. But as far as housing and wealth goes, no way! From the past, we've learnt that it cannot and will never work. secondaly, some people do work a lot harder, and deserve more money for this extra work.

In an ideal world, sure i'd love everyone to be equal, but this isn't. People dont work as hard as each other, theres always people who work hard, people who dont, and then the middle group. Why should the people who work hard get the same who dont? It doesn't make sense. In a society like this, everyone shouldn't be equal, unless its from a public service POV, in that respect we should.

Meh
10-01-2006, 00:47
George Orwell summed it up best in Animal Farm:

"All animals are equals. But some animals are more equal than others"

alan45
10-01-2006, 00:49
I agree with that.

I think its ridiculous that popstars and footballers get paid more than Doctors and surgeons

Meh
10-01-2006, 00:55
I agree. I mean, wtf has that talentless, anorexic stick Victoria Beckham ever done to deserve the fortune she has?

alan45
10-01-2006, 00:59
I agree. I mean, wtf has that talentless, anorexic stick Victoria Beckham ever done to deserve the fortune she has?

Please dont get me started about her. I detest her :angry: She has zero personality and flaunts her wealth

Meh
10-01-2006, 01:05
I'm all for equality, but the reality is that it wouldn't work because we have its nemesis: greed.

The people that really make a contribution to society e.g. nurses get screwed by the govt. A nurse can't afford to buy a house, but a sponger on benefits claiming everything can live life like a king. Equality my ****.

~charlie-lou~
10-01-2006, 01:50
In some ways, there should be more equality, but we just have to face up to the fact that some of us are born into better circumstances than others.

And surely, if everyone in the world had equal rights etc., the place would be havoc?

I'm perfectly happy with there being a social hierachy in this country. Nice to be perched near the top, as well! :D :D

I do agree that it is sickening that people who have slaved all their lives at various jobs are paid so little, when common, talentless, surgically enhanced morons like Victoria Beckham can throw hundreds of pounds into the gutter without a second thought.

Jade
10-01-2006, 08:38
While we're on the issue of equality. Why is it that if a women sleeps around or even dresses provocatively she's labled a slut but a bloke sleeps around and he's not? he is probably congratulated on it, or a the very least its perfectly socially acceptable.

JustJodi
10-01-2006, 09:21
Please dont get me started about her. I detest her :angry: She has zero personality and flaunts her wealth

I have to agree with u on this Alan...there are so many women out there who are like HER :angry:

JustJodi
10-01-2006, 09:33
Well comunism doesnt work! ie China, Russia, maybe on a smaller scale like with tribes, but you still have to have a person/people to distribute the wealth (and ends up as a dictatorship/tyrancy)

Equal pay for gender/race/disability I agree with and I hope were going in the right direction with this, although we still have a way to go.

I really dont think people should be paid the same across the board, but certain prfessions need to be paid more, for example nurses.

The minimum wage also needs to be raised

In the states nurses make quite good money ( my DIL has a double Masters degree in nursing ) the higher your education is the better your take home pay is.. the average nurse ( RN ie registered nurse ) makes 35 dollars an hour with a full benefit package, no wonder alot of nurses are going to the states to work.. but again alot of other 3rd world country nurses are immigrating into the UK and other countries to work as well.
In Holland if you have a nursing degree when you move to this country it is automatically CANCELLED until u are fluent in Dutch and you have a Dutch nursing degree so equality does not always work..this is just my 2 euro cents worth,,,

Katy
10-01-2006, 17:23
i really disagree with the whole 100 000 a week for some plonker like Rio Ferdinand, which is more than a nurse gets in like 3 years and they save peoples live. I have so much respent for the public services.

di marco
10-01-2006, 19:57
While we're on the issue of equality. Why is it that if a women sleeps around or even dresses provocatively she's labled a slut but a bloke sleeps around and he's not? he is probably congratulated on it, or a the very least its perfectly socially acceptable.

dont get me started on that, it annoys me so much! :angry:

Jade
10-01-2006, 20:59
dont get me started on that, it annoys me so much! :angry:

Yep me too, you wear a pair of knee high boots and a short skirt, you get labled a slapper :angry:

di marco
10-01-2006, 21:00
Yep me too, you wear a pair of knee high boots and a short skirt, you get labled a slapper :angry:

i know you should be able to wear what you like! though i do think that people who sleep around are sluts (hope im not offending anyone here!) and that includes boys as well as girls!

Jade
10-01-2006, 21:05
i know you should be able to wear what you like! though i do think that people who sleep around are sluts (hope im not offending anyone here!) and that includes boys as well as girls!

I wear what I like, I'm not worried about what people think. Although its a shame and a refelection on todays society I think it's dangerous to go down town on a Saturday night with it all hanging out, no matter how good you look.

Recently there has been suggestions in the press that its a womens fault if she goes out dressed up has a few drinks and ends up getting raped :angry:

di marco
10-01-2006, 21:08
I wear what I like, I'm not worried about what people think. Although its a shame and a refelection on todays society I think it's dangerous to go down town on a Saturday night with it all hanging out, no matter how good you look.

Recently there has been suggestions in the press that its a womens fault if she goes out dressed up has a few drinks and ends up getting raped :angry:

yeh i know, people should be able to wear what they like without being harrassed or abused cos of it, sadly though not everyone sees it like that. and i think its disgraceful that its a girls fault if she gets raped cos shes wearing a short skirt or whatever, so what, that doesnt give some scum of a man the right to think its ok to rape her! :angry:

Jade
10-01-2006, 21:20
I think its more a combination of dress and drink, but your right its disgusting