PDA

View Full Version : Soap Review 2005

Bryan
30-12-2005, 21:18
To accompany Birk's thread of your opinions of Eastenders this year i thought id start this thread to delve into more detail about certain elements of the soap this year. Discuss your favourite and least favourite in the following catagories.

Best/Worst Character

The best character this year has to be Chrissie Watts played by the terrefic Tracy Ann Oberman, despite Sharon and the Mitchells being my favourites any fan of the show would have to say that Chrissie deserves the title this year. She's been the cataylst for the biggest storyline of the year that has kept us fans glued from start to finish! SHe has appeared in nearly every episode from the death episode to her imprisonment, and for that she deserves the title! Chrissie Watts you will be sadly missed!

The worst character would have to be Tina Stewart, or "Johnny's Bird" as she was more commonly known. I thought she has potential here, descriped by the media as "sassy" "independant" dont make me laugh! She was weak and dreary! She moaned and moaned and ruined the character of Johnny Allen. He arrived in January the vicious gangland mobster, throwing people off bridges and alike, and then for a fair few months in his "Tina Era" she domesticated him, and it was useless! The fans were bored rigid and so was Billy Murray (he decided to quit!) which means that we are loosing let another great character. The past few months have proved just what we will be missing out on!

Best/Worst Storyline

Best storyline without a doubt is Den's storyline, as well lets face it, it lasted the longest, had us all gripped and envolved half of the square: Chrissie, Zoe, Sam, Kat, Den, Sharon, Dennis, Jake, Stacey, Johnny, Peggy, Phil, Grant, Ian...the list could go on and on... it allowed us to have plausible exucses for some of our favouroite characters to leave and it paved the way for the Mitchells to return! The best soap family on the box!

Lets face it folks, if we are honest we have had some really bad storylines this year! But the worst has to be the Rebecca/Chloe storyline...i mean at the moment now i can see it working and am liking it, but when it was revisted in the summer it was a yawnfest! When we had high calibre storylines like Den's death going on, it had to be ruined with a dull storyline with some of the shows most unintresting characters: Pauline, Martin, Sonia. That was certainly a thumbs done! :thumbsdow

Best/Worst Newcomer

When you look back we have had a fair few new ones come havent we? Well the best by far has to be Johnny Allen, he has only been with us for just under a year and what an impact he has had! He killed off the plastic gangster! He ran the dreadful character of Danny Moon out of town! And slammed an old womans hands in the door! He is a fantatsic character and has been such an asset to the show in the last year (minus the "Tina Era")

The worst newcomer has to be Joe Macer, im sorry but i just have not made a single connection with this bloke. I cant stand Pauline as it is, so the fact that she will be in more storylines as a result of this character is just a no no to me! I dont like the idea of anyone replacing Arthur and he is too much like Derek, someone who i was glad to see the back of this year!

Best/Worst Exit

The Best Exit had to be Zoe Slaters! She left in the centre of the action! Just as her ex lover and his lover (who happens to be his sister) returns and all the den stuff is about to kick off, she does a runner and leaves everyone else to deal with the **** that she created! :lol: Only spoilt brat Zoe would do that! And what scenes we had in her final episode with Jessie Wallace! Superb! Superb! Superb!

Getting rid of the Ferrerias could be described as the best exit in a way, but in terms of storyline this was the worst! Talked about rushed...one minute they are hear boring us to death and the next they are leaving walford crabbed into a mini with no luggage! Leaving behind Sasha who myseriously dissapeared with no explantion at all! Maybe she will wake up one morning and ask whats been going on? :rotfl:

Best/Worst Return

Best Return has to belong to the one and only "Dutchess". My favourite character of all time! I was anticapting her return for so long and she didnt disapoint. Within a week she was throwing greavign widows into graves, bantering with Pat Evans (comedy at its best!) and gererally thinking she owns Walford when she didnt even own a teakettle at the time!

The worst return for me was Dennis! I havent liked him from day one! He has done nothign but ruin Leitia Dean and her character Sharon WATTS (yes i remian adamanrt that she shall only ever be called that!) Sharon left in 04 reasonably normal, she comes back in 05 with an orange tan to rival David Dickinson, fake nails and hair extensions and clothes that are not black! ( :eek: ) finally Dennis is dead and the show can move on to better things!

Best/Worst Episode

Whether you love the pillock that is Alfie Moon or not, you have to admit that the episode between him and Nana in Normandy was sheer brilliance! It was a fantastically written episode that just proves why Eastenders is the nations most loved soap! Such an emotional and moving episode! Full brownie points to Shane Rithcie and Hildra Braid!

The worst episode..well we have had a fair few this year havent we!? I suppose it would have to be one of the episodes that was revolved around Leo and Demi. The pair of chavy idiot teens that thought they were in "love" Romeo and Juliet style really did my head in! The one upside to that whole fiasco was that chance to see the fantastic acting talents of David Spinx (Keith) and Gerry Cowper (Rosie) as well as Leo's mother Trisha.

Best Dramatic Moment

The best dramatic moment of the year would have to be that which took place in the kitchen of the Slaters residence this summer. When Little Mo and Kat argued like 'Kat' and Dog (not that im calling Kacey a Canine! :lol: ) It was written by the superb Tony Joradn and just showed Eastenders at its best! Filled with raw emotion and just an overdose of drama! Loving it!

Best/Worst Cliffhanger

Best Cliffhanger, well anyfan of the show would agree with me I'm sure: "Hello Mom"...Grant and Phil's exit from the Black Landrover to save the day and the shows ratings!

The worst cliffhanger...i dont know weve had a few that any one who wasnt avidly commited to the show would think that it wasnt worth the bother of ever watching again...id probably say Friday the 23rd December when Sonia burst into tears at seeing her daughter (come on Sonia! the poor child isnt that ugly!) A shame really as precisley a year before we had Sam being kicked out of her home by Andy after being conned by Den and Marcus...what a reversal eh?

Best Quote

So many quotes were fantastic this year, but this one had the edge over the others:

Dot: What!? They've arrested Betty!

sorry if youve lost intrest, but as an avid fan i need somewhere to post my obsessive thoughts! :D

.:SpIcYsPy:.
30-12-2005, 21:24
Best/Worst Character - Stacey/Derek

Best/Worst Storyline - /Kalfie and Molfie Triangle

Best/Worst Newcomer - Dawn/Naomi

Best/Worst Exit - Den/Nana (I think?)

Best/Worst Return - Phil and Grant/

Best/Worst Episode - /

Best/Worst Comedy Moment - Phil and Grants running and look hard thing :rotfl:/Erm Garry and Minty's lines?!

Best/Worst Dramatic Moment - /

Best/Worst Cliffhanger- /

Best/Worst Quote- /

CrazyLea
30-12-2005, 21:43
Best/Worst Character best: stacey worst: naomi

Best/Worst Storyline: best: den thing worst: dunno

Best/Worst Newcomer: best: dawn worst: naomi

Best/Worst Exit: best: dennis :( or nana :( or den

Best/Worst Return: erm none

Best/Worst Episode: best: ermm sam digging up den was good.

Best/Worst Comedy Moment: best : anything with stacey

Best/Worst Dramatic Moment: when nana died :p

Best/Worst Cliffhanger: ermm dunno cant think

Best/Worst Quote: cant think.

il add more when i see what people have put lol

feelingyellow
30-12-2005, 21:43
Best/Worst Quote: Easy - they've arrested Betty! :rotfl:

Bree
30-12-2005, 21:48
Best/Worst Character chrissie watts / juley smith

Best/Worst Storyline dens murder/ french storyline

Best/Worst Newcomer honey/dawn

Best/Worst Exit dennis dies/sam mitchell

Best/Worst Return grant and phil mitchell/peggy mitchell

Best/Worst Episode chrissies coffin fit/zoe gets pregnat

Best/Worst Comedy Moment chrissie coffin fit/french eppies

Best/Worst Dramatic Moment dennis gets stabed/---

Best/Worst Cliffhanger ---/---

Best/Worst Quote den: your'll never get me out of the vic/---

Bree
30-12-2005, 21:48
sorry posted twice

Jada-GDR
30-12-2005, 22:03
Best/Worst Character Minty and Nana/Ian and Johnny

Best/Worst Storyline Sonia and Martin, cus its the most realistic storyline there/Kalfie and Molfie (because it DRAGGED :mad: )

Best/Worst Newcomer Rebecca ^_^ /Naomi

Best/Worst Exit Danny/Tina and Sasha

Best/Worst Return The Mitchell Boys!!!:D/(ironically)phil, when he returned for, like, one episode

Best/Worst Episode Rememberance day/the episode where rosie told someone i cant remember that her mum tried to kill herself, cause all they did was TALK

Best/Worst Comedy Moment Dot, "They've arrested betty!"/ruby, "i got you a cactus to apologise for being prickly, it's supposed to be a sort of joke"

Best/Worst Dramatic Moment The Mitchell boys return/Kat saying "Hello alfie"

Best/Worst Cliffhanger Billy anouncing Molfie/Demi being told leo was dead (not exactly a cliffhanger, but i couldn't think of anything else)

Best/Worst Quote "They've arrested Betty!"/"Ohhh, me back!" -Jim and Keith, who both seriously annoy me when they say this :angry:

Johnny Allen
30-12-2005, 22:37
Best/Worst Character

Best Character this year has to be Johnny Allen, and I will tell you why, he wiped out Andy, he got the Mitchell clan running scared, he got rid of Dennis and in the process has brought much needed menance to the square, yes Johnny Allen was the character of the year simply for his ruthless and downright villianous streak

Worst Character? Ruby, she ruined the real true hard edge of Johnny, she moans and whines all the time, she is considerably dull and lifeless and completely pointless, and her posture is so badly hunched it's downright of putting.

Best/Worst Storyline

Best: Den's Demise. Sam with a pick axe unearthing Den's body was by far the best thing on EE this year as was the night Den got smacked over the head with the door stop. Not only that it left me gripped from start to finish wondering if Chrissie would get away, and what would happen to Sam, and of course it allowed the mighty Mitchell clan back onto the square.

Worst: Alfie/Kat/Mo. Badly overdone and prolonged far too much by the end I just didn't care who Alfie went with, and as if we were to believe he and Mo would make a good couple, Kat and Alfie were meant to be, at least the characters of Alfie and Kat reached a satisifactory conclusion, but it was dreadly longwinded.

Best/Worst Newcomer

Best: Good old Johnny Allen, why? because Albert square just wouldn't be the same without him now, and Billy Murray is a truly great Actor

Worst: Naomi, I mean what's the point in her, she has no charm and can barely speak, her speech is awful, another pointless character who will soon be for the chop surely.

Best/Worst Exit

Best: Den, brought back from the dead but not again, Den was finally killed for good in a spectacular exit, what a way to go out.

Worst: Tina, glad to see her go but it was hardly an exit, one minute she's a main character the next she's leaving in a cab, although good riddance really.

Best/Worst Return
Best; The Mitchell clan, Albert Square wasn't the same without them, returning with all the menace and humour you would expect, they breezed back without a care in the world and soon had everything under control, The Mitchells were back with a bang and it was my most anticipated storyline of the year.

Worst: Going to agree with Bondboffin Dennis' return, was he needed back? not really, I certainly didn't miss him and as for his hard man image forget it.

Best/Worst Episode

Best: Tie, The normandy episode and Grant and Phil breaking into the Vic. The Normandy episode was wonderfully acted and generally very moving, and beautifully written a firm reminder when Eastenders is at it's best no one can compete. Grant and Phil breaking into the vic was comical, and a firm reminder The Mitchells ruled the roost.

Worst: umm well some episodes have been pretty poor this year, particulary the one where Ruby found out about Johnny having a long lasting affair with Tina, woefully acted by the two women, as if she would only react like that, I would go flippin livid, it just wasn't very good at all.

Best Dramatic Moment

Nana's death

Best/Worst Cliffhanger
Best: Chrissie killing Den only to see that Sam saw it all.

Worst: Can't think of any

Best Quote
Dot: They've arrested Betty!

Dennis: Don't make me hurt you
Grant: That's hardly likely to happen now is it?
Priceless

Kim
30-12-2005, 23:15
Best/Worst Character - Kat/Naomi

Best/Worst Storyline - Kat's return/Anything to do with the Ferrarias

Best/Worst Newcomer - Dawn/Naomi

Best/Worst Exit - Den/Derek

Best/Worst Return - Kat/Peggy

Best/Worst Episode - Christmas eppi/

Best/Worst Comedy Moment -

Best/Worst Dramatic Moment - /

Best/Worst Cliffhanger- /

Best/Worst Quote-They've arrested Betty / Look on the bright side, if Billy Mitchell can pull there's hope for the rest of us.

Tamzi
31-12-2005, 00:05
Best/Worst Character

Got to be Stacey Slater for me. She reminded me of Kat at first, but she is different. She isn't like Ruby, always allowing a guy to fall at her feet, she has a lot of common sense and she's such a spunky character.
The worst character would have to be Any of the ferreiras. They were the most boring family in the history of eastenders. They never had a good storyline and they were just "yawn"

Best/Worst Storyline

Best storyline has got to be the Den saga. Though everyone complained about him coming back the whole of his death onwards was brilliant. Though it did drag out a bit towards the end.
Wost storyline would probably be Ian being bitten by Wellard or Kalfie/Molfie. They were both very boring, though the Wellard thing is a good way of involving Deano. So I'd probably have to Kalfie/Molfie was the worst storyline.

Best/Worst Newcomer

Best Newcomer has to be Dawn. She's the best Miller/ Swann and she is one of the best looking girls on the square. Her and Honey are really funny together and I am glad she was brought in.
The worst newcomer has to be Naomi. I hate her. She sticks her nose into Martin and Sonia's marriage, she was meant to be brought in to liven up the looks in the show, which she has not. The idea of the lesbian kiss was pointless and I don't see the point in her being in the show.

Best/Worst Exit

I loved a lot of exits this year. Andy's I thought was very good because you thought he would get away then suddenly he's over the bridge. Then there was Den's the classic hit over the head with a doorstop and Sam's was very good. She finally gets all her family back and then she has to run.

Worst exit has to be the Ferreiras. Kareena suddenly deciding to join them with no clothes etc. Johnny running them out of town? Get real. Dennis, I get, Danny and Jake, I get, Andy I get. The Ferreiras, just don't get it! Also Kalfie's exit was a bit impratical. How were they getting to America with £83. They don't have any skills so they couldn't really get jobs very easily. Plus I don't think you can just start living in America.
Best/Worst Return

Best Return has to go to the Mitchells. Grant and Phil turning up in the car, Peggy acting like she owned the square. Eastenders isn't eastenders without the Mitchells.

Worst return I fell was Jake's.I loved it when he returned, now I see it was pointless and a bit confusing. Nothing really seemed to fit together, like the fact Alfie didn't know he wa back, yet he had no bags. He hardly ever mentioned his own brother and the line was just cheesy 'i thought it was only me who got into trouble, Come here' Please! Can't believe I used to be into him. I can't believe I spent part of my life discussing Jake's scarf. That was time I wasted and will never get back! Anyway worst return, Jake's.

Best/Worst Episode

The Normandy episode was just amazing. It was so sweet and it really gave us the chance to know Nana. Shane and Hilda were bost amazing in it and it was such a sweet and moving episode.

The worst episode...so many to choose. There were points inn ee this year when I could not be bothered to watch. Leo and Demi was quite bad or the episode where Alfie had to have dinner with Kat and Mo. Pathetic.
Best Dramatic Moment

The best dramatic moment has to be the bit I think where chrissie goes downstairs and Grant appears and also when the Mitchell brothers turned up.

Best/Worst Cliffhanger

Best Cliffhanger has just got to be "hello mum" no doubt about it. Two words which changed ee's ratings completely. It was such a small sentence but it gave so much away. Brilliant.
The worst cliffhanger I have to agree withbb was Sonia crying. Any time Sonia or Martin or Pauline get a cliffhanger is a big mistake. Have to agree on the fact that we had the whole Sam/Andy/Marcus thing going on last year. Loved that bit when Andy sat down and started eating the christmas cake while listening to Wizzard, leaving Sam out in the cold. hee hee.

Best Quote

Dot: What? They've arrested Betty

Andy's Lawyer: and to my wife I leave my wedding ring so she can sell it get her roots done and still be the blondest woman I ever met

BlackKat
31-12-2005, 11:39
Best Character: Jake. :wub:

Worst Character: Ruby. *hates her* She’s whiny, petulant and self-involved. Horrible little brat.

Best Storyline: Jake and Danny. I just thought the bond between the two brothers was built up well, and where it eventually led them was inevitable. (Not in a predictable way, in a tragic, set on the train tracks they couldn't get off way)

Worst Storyline: Kalfie/Molfie

Best Newcomer: Dawn *loves her*

Worst Newcomer: Naomi. *yawn*

Best Exit: Dennis.

Worst Exit: Derek. So random and...has anyone noticed he's gone??

Worst Return: The Mitchells. I liked the first episode they were back but after that it was just super Mitchells to the rescue and I resented it. They put no effort into Grant’s character – he had no motivation, or depth, he was there to be ‘Grant’. At first I thought they were putting more effort into Phil with him missing Ben, but now he’s just a pantomine villain.

Best Episode: Johnny's house fire (The Friday of that week)

Worst Episode: That dire episode where Alfie was having dinner with both Kat and Little Mo and spent the entire episode running from one house to the other. :rolleyes:

Worst Dramatic Moment: Ratboy's death. Absolutely f**cking hilarious. "Go towards the light Leo!," the doctor actually telling us it was a waste of life, cos, gee thanks, I couldn't figure that out for myself. The two sets of parents were good, but not enough to save it.

I can't think of the others so I'll edit later if I think of some more. :)

Emma-Lou
31-12-2005, 13:02
Best/worst Character
Best:Chrissie Watss agree with everything bondboffin said she was played fantastically by Tracy-Ann Oberman
Worst:Naomi she boresme and there is no point in her.

Best/Worst Storyline:
Best:The whole Den thingfrom his death on wards was great even if it dragged out a bit but it did not bore me like other things that were dragged out.
Worst:Kalfie/Molfie

Best/Worst Newcomer
Best: Dawn
Worst:Naomi

Best/Worst Exit
Best: Den
Worst:Ferreiras the were just bad on a whole

Best/Worst Return
Best:The Mitchell's
Worst:erm do not know

Best/worst Episode
Best:The Normandy episode itwas very moving