PDA

View Full Version : Giving Blood

emma_strange
28-12-2005, 15:51
Eek am off to do that in 1 hour.

Has anyone given blood before? What are your views on it, I have a few friends who say they woulnt give blood because they dont want their blood inside someone else.

What are your views, is it right ot wrong to give blood? Would you?

Abi
28-12-2005, 15:55
My mum has given the equalivalent to a whole bodies worth of blood (at different times obviously, not all in one go!). I think its a great idea, as one day you might need it yourself. I'm terrified of needles, but i;'d love to donate all the same, if i wasn't so scared. Maybe if i get over it i will one day, but i'm still for it.

shannisrules
28-12-2005, 16:19
never given blood before id probably freek out at all the needles

Debs
28-12-2005, 16:20
i never have and never will just because i am so scared of needles.

Katy
28-12-2005, 16:22
im terrified of needles. I passed out last time i saw one so i guess i wont be giving blood. My mum and dad have done it in the past before though. I think its a great thing to do.

Tori
28-12-2005, 16:33
i think it's a good idea, but even the mention of the word blood makes me sick, so although i would love to, i don't think i could!

lollymay
28-12-2005, 16:35
i would but im really scared of needles and the last time i went for a blood test i nearly passed out after it.

Tori
28-12-2005, 16:36
i see a needle and i'm like argh and get all hyped up!

shannisrules
28-12-2005, 16:39
when youve had it done tell us all how it went good luck

the_watts_rule
28-12-2005, 18:03
I can't stand needles. Good Luck!

hazey
28-12-2005, 19:30
Giving blood is a great thing to do, try and get over come your fear of needles,think of all the little babies you could help,or the accident victim,or your favourite Auntie that having a operation,and you will get over your fear.I am Rehsis Negative and they are short of R N donors.we can't be given your ordinary O P blood so if you are R N please give it a try.

willsmummy
28-12-2005, 19:41
Giving blood is a great thing to do, try and get over come your fear of needles,think of all the little babies you could help,or the accident victim,or your favourite Auntie that having a operation,and you will get over your fear.I am Rehsis Negative and they are short of R N donors.we can't be given your ordinary O P blood so if you are R N please give it a try.

I am RHneg too. I might look out for the blood donor van next time it's local.

Chloe O'brien
28-12-2005, 19:50
i used to give blood until about 12 years ago but then i went to egypt on holiday and waas not allowed to give blood for a year because i was visiting an african country. I would not mind giving blood again as i don't have a fear of needles but its finding the time to go and give blood. I also have got 2 tatoos and i thought that you could not give blood once you had tatoos. I am also R-NEG blood.

shannisrules
28-12-2005, 20:00
i think i might try and give blood how long does it take?

di marco
28-12-2005, 20:24
my dad gives blood regularly, hes been doing it for as long as i can remember

hazey
28-12-2005, 20:36
i used to give blood until about 12 years ago but then i went to egypt on holiday and waas not allowed to give blood for a year because i was visiting an african country. I would not mind giving blood again as i don't have a fear of needles but its finding the time to go and give blood. I also have got 2 tatoos and i thought that you could not give blood once you had tatoos. I am also R-NEG blood. You can give blood if you have tattoos, they say that you must allow one year from when you had it done,then you can give blood.

feelingyellow
28-12-2005, 20:42
I couldn't give blood. It would be too hard - I would really, really love too do something as helpful as that - but there's just some things I really can't do and needles is one of them. I would however pick a scab off a million times and collect the blood from it! I'm alright with a bit of pain - but a whole load of pain like needles - I would faint!

.:SpIcYsPy:.
28-12-2005, 20:46
Me and my mum was talking about this for some reason and mum said she'd love to too but she's not going to because some people might not have cleaned the needles or whatever and we could get diseases/infections like that.. so that's why..

feelingyellow
28-12-2005, 20:49
Me and my mum was talking about this for some reason and mum said she'd love to too but she's not going to because some people might not have cleaned the needles or whatever and we could get diseases/infections like that.. so that's why..

yeah but it'd be ok from a proper doctor wouldn't it??

di marco
28-12-2005, 21:02

they would use sterilised needles if you went to the proper place, just like when you have injections done

Stevie H
28-12-2005, 21:11
Giving blood is a good thing to do especially if you have rare blood. But I wouldn't myself. I had to have a drip put in my arm and it took ages for them to find a vein to put it in. So that's freaked me on most needles.

emma_strange
28-12-2005, 21:15
It went well, though my arm started to feel really tired so I wasnt flexing my fingers as much, then my blood slowwed down and they made me flex quicker! It didnt hurt though, and I'm glad I did it!

emma_strange
28-12-2005, 21:20
i think i might try and give blood how long does it take?

You have the needle in you for about 10 mins, but you cant feel it, your arm just feels tired.

28-12-2005, 21:20
Well you have seen them shows like Britain's Worst Doctors or something like that/shows like that... Gives me the creeps!!

Debs
28-12-2005, 21:24
i heard that you cant give blood if you have asthma?? is that true?

feelingyellow
28-12-2005, 21:24
It went well, though my arm started to feel really tired so I wasnt flexing my fingers as much, then my blood slowwed down and they made me flex quicker! It didnt hurt though, and I'm glad I did it!

wow! sounds quite cool now actually, lol - well done :clap:

di marco
28-12-2005, 21:38

my dads arm can never stop bleeding once hes given blood, cos his blood is really thin!

shannisrules
28-12-2005, 21:38
i bet you feel a good feeling inside you now because you know your blood will help someone else

emma_strange
28-12-2005, 22:03
Yep I do =)

Behemoth
28-12-2005, 22:06
I totally agree with giving blood; it could save someone's life!

Luna
28-12-2005, 22:15
i give blood when ever i can i have one of they rare types that they are always crying out for. The sometimes phone me if the are short to see if i can come in.

lollymay
29-12-2005, 10:53
im not allowed to give blood at the moment because im anaemic

willow
29-12-2005, 20:12
for the first time in ages i can give blood!!!!!.......i better had as i want a new tattoo done and i have to wait about a year after i have that done!!!

Daisyduck
29-12-2005, 20:37
Giving blood is a good thing to do especially if you have rare blood. But I wouldn't myself. I had to have a drip put in my arm and it took ages for them to find a vein to put it in. So that's freaked me on most needles. don't be such a baby, :rotfl: go and give blood.

29-12-2005, 20:41
i give blood when ever i can i have one of they rare types that they are always crying out for. The sometimes phone me if the are short to see if i can come in.
Wow!! That's really good!! :bow: I bow down to you hun!!

29-12-2005, 20:42
You have the needle in you for about 10 mins, but you cant feel it, your arm just feels tired.
Woooh.... :eek:

I might do this... do you go every now and then because your blood multiply or something?! :searchme:

samantha nixon
29-12-2005, 20:47
i would but i think you have to be a certain age to do so

di marco
29-12-2005, 20:51

i thought you had to be 16 but im not sure?

di marco
29-12-2005, 20:52
Woooh.... :eek:

I might do this... do you go every now and then because your blood multiply or something?! :searchme:

lol spicy! your body makes new red blood cells!

Oh really.. I got time then!!...

lol spicy! your body makes new red blood cells!
Yeah that's what I meant :moonie:

emma_strange
29-12-2005, 22:58

you've got to be 17

Carrie Bradshaw
30-12-2005, 06:36
I've given blood. I'm not that squemish about needles though it is a bit weird seeing a bag full of your own blood sitting next to you.
They are really strict about who can give blood. Your blood iron levels have to be above a certain level which they test on a day. If you are below a certain weight, have a cold, have had any vaccinations in the last month or many other reasons then they won't let you give so if they do let you then you know that you are likely to be fine.
An added bonus is that you get heaps of free chocolate biscuits afterwards to make sure that your blood sugar levels are high enough!!

Chris_2k11
30-12-2005, 06:40
My mum gives blood on a regular basis. She always seems quite comfortable about doing it :)

30-12-2005, 11:11
An added bonus is that you get heaps of free chocolate biscuits afterwards to make sure that your blood sugar levels are high enough!!
:rotfl: Now I can't wait till im 17!! :lol: Joking!!

Kim
30-12-2005, 11:35
I wouldn't, because I'm scared of needles. I couldn't anyway because I've had jaundice (sp?) Once when I had an injection and was so scared of the needle that I fell off the chair!

30-12-2005, 12:15
I just go... omg omg omg omg omg over and over again lol!! :lol: And then I just can't stand still before the needle touched my skin lol.. but having it 10 minutes inside woooh... :eek: I might give it a go when Im older seeing as it does change someone's life!! I wonder what bloody type I am... :p

Abi
30-12-2005, 14:25
I had a blodd test when i was little, because we have this skin defect in my family, and they wanted to see if i have it (I dont- yey!). I'm a really wierd blood type though....O or something like that...

feelingyellow
30-12-2005, 16:28
I just go... omg omg omg omg omg over and over again lol!! :lol: And then I just can't stand still before the needle touched my skin lol.. but having it 10 minutes inside woooh... :eek: I might give it a go when Im older seeing as it does change someone's life!! I wonder what bloody type I am... :p

probably the weirdest type there can be... :p - i didn't say that, my dog did :rolleyes:

30-12-2005, 18:59
probably the weirdest type there can be... :p - i didn't say that, my dog did :rolleyes:
Wow!! Your dog can type!? :eek:

Not..

Abi
30-12-2005, 19:24
Thats amazing!!!!!! I think...

di marco
30-12-2005, 19:52

according to my mum, im blood type o

Kim
30-12-2005, 19:54
I had a blodd test when i was little, because we have this skin defect in my family, and they wanted to see if i have it (I dont- yey!). I'm a really wierd blood type though....O or something like that...

I don't think that's a wierd type. I thought it was quite a common one?? I think I'm O but I'm not sure.

willow
30-12-2005, 20:36
i am B not sure how rare that is?????????????????

feelingyellow
30-12-2005, 21:37
Wow!! Your dog can type!? :eek:

Not..

yes she can... :rolleyes:

willow
30-12-2005, 21:40
WOW!!!! is your dog lassie???

feelingyellow
30-12-2005, 21:49
WOW!!!! is your dog lassie???

:rotfl: yes... :rolleyes:

willow
30-12-2005, 21:50
:rotfl: yes... :rolleyes:

aaawww how cute i love lassie dogs!!!:rotfl:

is she in the new film they are doing??:rotfl:

Jade
30-12-2005, 21:51
Please stay on topic, this thread is about giving blood not dogs! thanks!!!!

willow
30-12-2005, 21:51
sorry jade!!

feelingyellow
30-12-2005, 21:52
sorry jade!! i will pm you all about my dog lassie willow :rotfl:

Jade
30-12-2005, 21:53
sorry jade!!

No worries! it makes me laugh though, giving blood to dogs in one thread!!

03-11-2008, 18:54
Hey guys, so now I am 17 I was just wondering about the whole giving blood business again..
I am interested in doing so.

Now I have never really payed much attention in Science class but.. By giving your blood to someone else, does it affect the other person's DNA or whatever? *feels stupid and hides!*

Also.. How can I find out my blood type?

Abbie
03-11-2008, 18:59
erm Im not sure if it affects their DNA I wouldnt think so since we have already been 'created' of you like

and once you give blood they can tell you what your blood type is

03-11-2008, 19:04
Ahh okay, that's good haha..
It's just that if I have a rare blood type I would be more willing to do it than if I didn't.. I think I will talk to my mum and see what she says (as in if she will come with me :p) :)
Thanks x

*-Rooney-*
03-11-2008, 19:04
it doesnt affect your dna, thats in your chromosomes and your genes

A routine blood test could tell you ur blood type, although if you are on any type of medication u will not be allowed to donate blood

Abbie
03-11-2008, 19:05
Ahh okay, that's good haha..
It's just that if I have a rare blood type I would be more willing to do it than if I didn't.. I think I will talk to my mum and see what she says (as in if she will come with me :p) :)
Thanks x

Yeah thats good, but even if you havent got a rare blood type, and you were still thinking of giving blood you should still do it :)

Perdita
04-11-2008, 06:31
Donating blood is a very good thing to do, you will receive a donor passport which states your blood group and they also test your blood for a number of illnesses, which is good imo. You need to declare whether you have taken any medication within the last 6 weeks (I think), they might not use your donation for a blood transfusion but for testing and other laboratory trials. Good on you for wanting to do so. :clap:

Siobhan
04-11-2008, 09:54
I am no longer able to give blood in Ireland.. as I was living in the UK for a year between 1990 - 1996 they don't allow anyone to donate blood in Ireland.. something to do with mad cow disease been in the blood for up to 25 or something.. I am raging as I was a regular donor..

Trinity
04-11-2008, 11:12
I don't give blood anymore, although I used to be a regular donor. For some reason they cannot get a pint out of me anymore - my vein seems to collapse when they try and I get faint.

Perdita
04-11-2008, 11:22
I don't give blood anymore, although I used to be a regular donor. For some reason they cannot get a pint out of me anymore - my vein seems to collapse when they try and I get faint.

The same is happening to me too :( I found donating blood quite a social event, met some lovely people.

di marco
04-11-2008, 15:24
my dad gives blood regularly. ive never done it, id like to, but they always have problems finding a vein to get blood out of me

*-Rooney-*
04-11-2008, 22:01
my dad is a regular blood donor and 22 yrs ago a blood transfusion saved my mums life after giving birth to my brother. So i wanted to give blood and as soon as i reached 18 i called to find out what i had to do only to find out i wasnt allowed since i am epileptic, and take regular medication - i know now i should have realised but i just wasnt thinking about that.

Abbie
04-11-2008, 22:46
I signed up a few months ago when they came to our college so people could enroll, and I couldnt do it last year when I was 17 but now I can :D I went a long to one with an appointment cos I found out about it last minute but they were under staffed and the wait was really long and they said cos it was my first time it would be best not to that day. Anyway Ive booked an appointment for 10th december to gove blood

*-Rooney-*
05-11-2008, 01:34
well good for u,

Abigail
08-11-2008, 23:56
my dad is a regular blood donor and 22 yrs ago a blood transfusion saved my mums life after giving birth to my brother. So i wanted to give blood and as soon as i reached 18 i called to find out what i had to do only to find out i wasnt allowed since i am epileptic, and take regular medication - i know now i should have realised but i just wasnt thinking about that.

You can donate blood if you have been off medication and seizure free for three years.

CrazyLea
09-11-2008, 00:01
I'm hoping to give blood on the 17th/18th of this month. They're at college. Hopefully they can find a vein this time!!!

CrazyLea
17-11-2008, 17:24
Well it was today, and I gave it :D Was crapping myself before I went in :lol:. So glad I did it though. My arm is a little numb though haha, like I can't put much pressure on it and stuff... hope that's normal haha!!!

I'd deffo give again anyway.

StarsOfCCTV
17-11-2008, 19:00
Well done! :D :D

I don't know when I will be able to give blood I can't do any of the dates they do near me!

Abbie
17-11-2008, 19:05
Well done Lea :D
I have mine on the 10th december, the day before my drama performance exam, so I hope it goes ok :lol:

CrazyLea
17-11-2008, 21:20
Just took my bandage off and I'm still bleeding a little lmao! Not much.. but hey :p Enough.

Abbie
30-11-2008, 22:23
Theyve canceled on me, I got a phone call about it, they canceled that day so Im gonna have to find another day

Abbie
05-01-2009, 22:23
Right well since the last one was cancelled im now doing it on the 17th Jan.
I made my appointment a few days ago
I have a question though, will I get something in the post confirming my appointment and something to take with me?

StarsOfCCTV
05-01-2009, 22:42
You will get a letter confirming and a questionnaire to fill out. :)

Abbie
17-01-2009, 16:01
Ive just come back from giving blood, I feel good about myself now :)

It really wasnt how I expected, I thought it would hurt more but it didnt
BUT they had to take it from the right arm, instead of left, cos you know how they take from the arm you dont right with. Well it took them a while to find a vien and they told me I have small viens so when I was donating it would flow slower. It took just over 10 minutes

I feel fine though, im arm just feels heavy and slightly tired :p

parkerman
17-01-2009, 18:39
Hi Abbie. Laser eye surgery is a lot less painful than giving blood and if you're happy with that...go for it!

Abbie
17-01-2009, 18:40
Its not just that, its the cost

parkerman
18-01-2009, 09:55
Ah, yes, that's more understandable.It is a lot of money.

Abbie
02-02-2009, 18:21
I got my card today, my blood type is O+
So my blood type can be donated to anyone in the + blood type categories :D

Other than I have very common blood :lol:

parkerman
02-02-2009, 18:54
My blood group is the same as my motto in life:

B Positive! :lol:

Abbie
02-02-2009, 18:56
Ooo thats cool, 8% have your blood type :p

Kim
02-02-2009, 21:19
I got my card today, my blood type is O+
So my blood type can be donated to anyone in the + blood type categories :D

Other than I have very common blood :lol:

Very common indeed, snap. Hardly anyone has a - type.

Abbie
02-02-2009, 22:09
The rarest blood type is AB-
To be fair though if you have a negative type blood they are all pretty rare

Abigail
03-02-2009, 01:54
My mum and dad are AB- :( Probably means I am too.

I wish I could donate blood but I'm not going to risk my health for it. I'm on the organ donor register so I hope I can be of some use when I die.

parkerman
03-02-2009, 09:28

Yes. It's ok when you're giving it but not so good if you need a transfusion!

*-Rooney-*
03-02-2009, 11:13

I wish I could donate blood but I'm not going to risk my health for it. I'm on the organ donor register so I hope I can be of some use when I die.

how are you risking your health by giving blood?

Abigail
03-02-2009, 11:49

how are you risking your health by giving blood?

Because I'd have to come off all my medications. I rang them up and they said I'd have to wait three years before I can donate after coming off them.

Trinity
03-02-2009, 15:59
My blood group is the same as my motto in life:

B Positive! :lol:

Mine, too. If you have an accident give me a shout, lol!

Abbie
03-02-2009, 17:08

I think your blood type is the rarest accroding to the leaflet they gave me

Yes. It's ok when you're giving it but not so good if you need a transfusion!

Yeah true, but thats why loads of people need to donate who have your blood type, but its doesnt matter cos your a + blood type you can recieve O+ blood :D which is the most common :D
And you can recieve O- blood cos that can be donated to anyone
Its not that bad

Its O- blood that can ONLY recieve O- blood

di marco
04-02-2009, 18:48
i dont know what blood type i am, i think my dad said he was a- though

Abbie
04-02-2009, 18:49
If you know your mums you'll be one of theirs :D

di marco
04-02-2009, 18:57

i dont know my mums, dunno if my mum does either!

Abigail
04-02-2009, 20:36

Or a combination. If one parent is A, one is B then you could be A, B or AB.

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:13
Im hopefully gonna give blood again on thursday, but im not sure since Ive been to Turkey this summer

Abigail
05-09-2009, 19:15
I might be able to give blood now I'm not on medication :hmm: Will have to investigate it.

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:18
I might be able to give blood now I'm not on medication :hmm: Will have to investigate it.

Call them up, they will be able to tell you.

Or go online and fill out the medical enquiry form, I have before and they get back to you, really quickly

Abigail
05-09-2009, 19:20
I used the online form a while ago and they said because I was on medication I wasn't allowed to donate until a certain number of months after my body was 'clean'

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:22
How long have you been 'clean', lol, they make you sound like a druggie :lol:

Abigail
05-09-2009, 19:25
lol, I was a bit worried about saying I'm clean on here :p.

I think it's been a couple of months. I really should have noted the date.

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:26
Ive looked on my form and there isnt really a time thing for that, its best to call or email them
Although when I asked about the Turkey thing by email, they told me to call, so I did