PDA

View Full Version : What do you class as an alcoholic?

xCharliex
16-12-2005, 19:37
Im curious, i need to know others opinions as well as facts, im slightly concered about a "friend"

Chloe O'brien
16-12-2005, 20:29
i'm not far from it but only because i don't get the chance to get out and drink more and i hate drinking in the house alone. but i used to have a friend at college who used to drink a bottle of wine each night. If you are really concerned about your friend maybe you could talk to her about your worries

xCharliex
16-12-2005, 20:32
Well * holds hands up * not a "friend" more like me, i mean i drink every night like 3-4 glasses of wine, or 4-5 glasses of vodka, lemonade and lime. Its more of i need it to wind down and get to sleep, used to smoke pot all the time but i packed that in, and ive changed from that to drink, my uncle is an alky so i dont know if its because its in the family, but i feel i need at least 1-2 drinks a night. It does worry me but if im honest yeah i feel like i Have to have one and cant go without, is that normal?

Chris_2k11
16-12-2005, 20:34
Well what's the longest you think you could go without a drink for Charlie?

Chloe O'brien
16-12-2005, 20:39
i wouldn't say you were an alky but i do think you have a problem. My sisters ex husband used to drink a bottle of vodka or 12 cans of larger for breakfast

xCharliex
16-12-2005, 20:43
Well what's the longest you think you could go without a drink for Charlie?

Not longer than one day, but i need one at the end of the day, whether its after college, or if im jus at home ill have one

xCharliex
16-12-2005, 20:43
i wouldn't say you were an alky but i do think you have a problem. My sisters ex husband used to drink a bottle of vodka or 12 cans of larger for breakfast

Well i dont do that i cant afford to, and i dont have the time to

Chris_2k11
16-12-2005, 20:46
I don't think you have a problem yet Charlie, but it looks like it's gradually getting that way... I'd try and stop or get help now before it starts to get worse...

xCharliex
16-12-2005, 20:48
I don't think you have a problem yet Charlie, but it looks like it's gradually getting that way... I'd try and stop or get help now before it starts to get worse...

But thats the thing, i cant stop not having a few drinks, i find it terribly hard to go without one drink each night. I keep saying to myself each night "oh im not gonna have a drink tomorrow, or im gonna go tee total for a week to lose a few pounds" but i cant

Abi
16-12-2005, 21:01
I dont think you have a problem, but i'd try and cut it down a little bit, even if its just the amount of vodka that you put in the lemonade and lime. Otherwise in the future, you might have more and more, and then get a problem.

willow
16-12-2005, 21:49
you sound like me!!! i drink just about every night, i normallyy have about 2 glasses of wine or a couple of bottles of lager a night, to me it is a habit but if ii have to work late or go somewhere i can't drink (if ii have to drive) i really don't worry. but i always have in my head that my mum, 2 of my uncles and my aunt have a drink problem

bubblegum_fairy
19-12-2005, 13:31
I would say an alocholic is someone who gets completly parayletic every night and i'm totally parayletic

Siobhan
19-12-2005, 13:32
Well * holds hands up * not a "friend" more like me, i mean i drink every night like 3-4 glasses of wine, or 4-5 glasses of vodka, lemonade and lime. Its more of i need it to wind down and get to sleep, used to smoke pot all the time but i packed that in, and ive changed from that to drink, my uncle is an alky so i dont know if its because its in the family, but i feel i need at least 1-2 drinks a night. It does worry me but if im honest yeah i feel like i Have to have one and cant go without, is that normal?

do you hide drink around the house???

Jojo
19-12-2005, 13:38
It sounds like you need to be careful you dont become too reliant on it Charlie. Having a glass to wind down at the end of the day isn't too bad, so long as it doesn't turn into 1 or 2 bottles every night. As you become more reliant on it to help you sleep, the mount you will need to drink to have the same effect will gradually increase and then you will get into a situation you dont want to be in. Try and make yourself go without for a day or 2 or substitute the alcohol for something non-alcholic - just see if you can do it....

Siobhan
19-12-2005, 13:40
It sounds like you need to be careful you dont become too reliant on it Charlie. Having a glass to wind down at the end of the day isn't too bad, so long as it doesn't turn into 1 or 2 bottles every night. As you become more reliant on it to help you sleep, the mount you will need to drink to have the same effect will gradually increase and then you will get into a situation you dont want to be in. Try and make yourself go without for a day or 2 or substitute the alcohol for something non-alcholic - just see if you can do it....

I agree with you Em... Charlie, try read a book or watch TV to unwind.. as Em says, switch to non-alcholic drink to see if you can go without or sleep ok with it.. (don't drink tea or coffee before going to bed)...

Sam Nixon Fan
19-12-2005, 14:16
How do u fieel when you have a drink, ? it doesnt sound like you are an alcoholic but ot sounds like you have become pyschologically reliant on the need of a drink.

There are a few things you could try, this may include

Negative association with alcohol, eg when ever you have a drink think its going to move you up a dress size so everytime you drink it you will then question whether you actually want to,

Will of mind, giving yourself a goal such as a new top or summat daft like that if you survive 2 days with out any alcohol!

Can i ask how old you are please?

Skits
19-12-2005, 15:46
ask yourself why do you drink? is it to help you wind down only or are there other reasons e.g lonliness

xCharliex
19-12-2005, 16:20
Thats the bad side the fact drink does make ya put on weight! Grrr. I drink when im watching TV, it doesnt help when ya work in a pub but i do love working there.

I dont hide drink around the house, and i have tried substituting alcohol for a non-alcoholic drink but i cant i always have the taste for a vodka or wine. I think its gonna be my new years resolution to drink less!

Im 20 Sam Nixon

It can be down to loneliness i mean i live in my mums house by myself, she lives with her bf up the rd, but its also out of boredom i think as well, i only ever drink when i get in from college at about 6, but then i go up the pub at lunchtimes as well sometimes. I only ever used to drink at the weekends but now its everyday.

Sam Nixon Fan
19-12-2005, 18:15
can u pour a drink away??

Could you imagine leaving some of your drink, and chucking it away or do u finish it no matter what....?

hazey
19-12-2005, 19:06
I think you should be careful, there is a fine line between drinking a few drinks, and being a drink dependant,people drink to sleep,when it has been proved that it actually keeps you awake,

A drink dependant: Has to have a drink every day,usually in the evening
" " Still eats food
" " only drinks what they can afford
" " can not go more than a day without a drink

An Achoholic Has to drink every day, starting with a drink for
breakfast

" Don't bother to eat have drink instead
" Steals from friends and family to pay for drink
Hids bottles etc,so family can't find it
Falls behind with work or college,and eventually has to give up,so has no money or outside interests.
Only drinks alone
Lies about the amount they drink
Say they will stop tomorrow

Drink finally takes over your life, you cant sleep, cant eat. loss your friends,loss your looks,It makes you depressed and eventually if you don't take control you die.

If you think you have a problem seek help now before you,can't control it

xCharliex
20-12-2005, 23:08
I think you should be careful, there is a fine line between drinking a few drinks, and being a drink dependant,people drink to sleep,when it has been proved that it actually keeps you awake,

A drink dependant: Has to have a drink every day,usually in the evening
" " Still eats food
" " only drinks what they can afford
" " can not go more than a day without a drink

An Achoholic Has to drink every day, starting with a drink for
breakfast

" Don't bother to eat have drink instead
" Steals from friends and family to pay for drink
Hids bottles etc,so family can't find it
Falls behind with work or college,and eventually has to give up,so has no money or outside interests.
Only drinks alone
Lies about the amount they drink
Say they will stop tomorrow

Drink finally takes over your life, you cant sleep, cant eat. loss your friends,loss your looks,It makes you depressed and eventually if you don't take control you die.

If you think you have a problem seek help now before you,can't control it

Well from reading that then im gonna say im 'drink dependant' as ive answered yes to all them sentances, although i can afford drink

hazey
20-12-2005, 23:24
Well from reading that then im gonna say im 'drink dependant' as ive answered yes to all them sentances, although i can afford drink glad you are only a dependant, but just keep a check on yourself that you don't slip further down the ladder.As I now from a family member it is hard to pull yourself back up again.

xCharliex
20-12-2005, 23:26
glad you are only a dependant, but just keep a check on yourself that you don't slip further down the ladder.As I now from a family member it is hard to pull yourself back up again.

Yeah i know, ive only ever known my Uncle as an alcoholic and everyone has given up on him except my mum, so i know what the concequences can lead to

Kim
20-12-2005, 23:34
I don't think you have a problem.

Jojo
21-12-2005, 11:37
Just look after yourself Charlie.....

xCharliex
21-12-2005, 16:38
Just look after yourself Charlie.....

I will dont worry, its probably just a 'young persons's' thing, a lot of people my age drink a lot, well most binge drink but i dont do that, i dont think!

But i know what you mean thanks for the concern

Sam Nixon Fan
21-12-2005, 19:31
Yeah thats true, im 19 and i drink alot but not everyday!! Whenever im going out which is 4/5 times a week i will drink loads that evening but then nothing the days i stay in ( normally because im too hungoiver) So i supose ifyou measured it out in units you would proberly drink less than people who go out all the time!

If you recognise that you are drink dependent then at least you realise and are thinking about it and not denying the poblem!

Jade
21-12-2005, 22:28
Yep hands up I go out about 4/5 times a week and have a few beers, but it's more of a social thing, as I dont normally drink at home and I can go for a night out and not drink. Its more circumstance that dictates if I have a drink or not.

Chris_2k11
25-01-2006, 14:36
How are things now Charlie?

alan45
25-01-2006, 15:13
An alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor. :)

nicole28
02-02-2006, 20:58
I thikc an alchaholic is not being able to not have a drink in your hand about 4-6 times a day. Someone that always wants one, and will do nearly anything to get one.

Angeltigger
02-02-2006, 21:10
alcoholic is when you need a drink as soon as you wake up until you go to bed- so you are not one- they lie- they hide alcohol

nicole28
03-02-2006, 20:01
alcoholic is when you need a drink as soon as you wake up until you go to bed- so you are not one- they lie- they hide alcohol#
Yes, you don't want anybody to know because you drink so much

crazygirl
04-02-2006, 18:10
my neighbour never stops drinking she has always got her can in her hand everyday from around 11am

Angeltigger
06-02-2006, 10:23
Another way is that alcoholic know where every pub/bar is in their area- they know where they can get drink.(i know another people know where drinks are) but alcoholic know more.

LUSHLOOKE69
06-02-2006, 22:18
I think there are lots of different forms of alcholoism and you have a lower form of what a true alcoholic is maybe you should see your Gp or a practice nurse who could help you to find ways so that maybe you could only drink every other night which would help with your weight loss :)xx

annaz
06-02-2006, 22:20
I think you are an alchoholic when you find yourself having a drink throughout the day everyday. Please, I don't really know so I can't really say.

Cornishbabe
25-02-2006, 15:48
My mum was an alcoholic and my dad is. You dont always try to hide how much you drink. But you do drink excessive amounts.If you cant go more than a niht without alcohol you may have a problem, Its important that you get help asap, as it can cause probelms for you and your family in the long term.Its harder to get out of the cycle the longer youve been in it.

You can have 1 drink a day or 20 drinks a day it makes no differnce if you NEED it then you are likely to have a problem

leanne27
25-02-2006, 16:42
my dad's an alcoholic he just doesn't know it

Cornishbabe
25-02-2006, 17:09
my dad's an alcoholic he just doesn't know it

Yeh because my mum was one I reconise the signs and behavour thats how I know my dad is even tho he doesnt.

Im sorry about your dad. You'll just have to support him when he realises

leanne27
25-02-2006, 21:43
I cant stand my dad he keeps trying to contact me but im just ignoring him at the moment, he let me down a lot in the past and i hate him now- i know its a awful thing to say but its true, he's incredibly selfish and he can drink himself to death for all i care now

Bryan
25-02-2006, 22:38
as far as id imagine it to be charlie is

someone who is totally dependant on alcholo... and drinks whenever... in the morning, alone... generally drinking is done socially or ocassionaly on your own to relax yourself but if its constant drinking regardless of time or circumstances id imagine that to be a sign of alcholism

plus ive only just realised how hard it is to spell alcohol, alcholic and alcholism!

Cornishbabe
25-02-2006, 22:50
I cant stand my dad he keeps trying to contact me but im just ignoring him at the moment, he let me down a lot in the past and i hate him now- i know its a awful thing to say but its true, he's incredibly selfish and he can drink himself to death for all i care now

I know exactly how you feel. everyone is telling you you should care because hes your dad. But you cant foregt whats happened in the past? Your worried it will happen again. in the past too much has happened for you to just forgive and forget

Cornishbabe
25-02-2006, 22:51

I know exactly how you feel. everyone is telling you you should care because hes your dad. But you cant foregt whats happened in the past? Your worried it will happen again. in the past too much has happened for you to just forgive and forget.

It definatly does not sound selfish of you!

xCharliex
26-02-2006, 00:17
Well i dont feel the need to drink like i used to, ill drink socially etc, i think its just when i have a long, stressful day i need one! So i dont feel i have a problem anymore :)

Jojo
26-02-2006, 01:00
Well i dont feel the need to drink like i used to, ill drink socially etc, i think its just when i have a long, stressful day i need one! So i dont feel i have a problem anymore :)Good on you Charlie!! :clap: I think we can all do with a drink when we've had a stressful day :D

Chris_2k11
26-02-2006, 02:36
Well i dont feel the need to drink like i used to, ill drink socially etc, i think its just when i have a long, stressful day i need one! So i dont feel i have a problem anymore :)Well done Charlie :clap: You proud of yourself?

leanne27
26-02-2006, 10:36
yeah thats just it emma, he has put everyone through so much and is really selfish, when i was little i used to idolise him, now when i see him he just reminds me of the past and i dont want to be reminded of that, he still believes he is the innocnet party he is the most selfish person i unfortunately know.

Angeltigger
26-02-2006, 11:14
alcoholic do think they innocnet party, they think the people who are not the alcoholic have the promblem and no them and it does effect everyone as it is a family disease as everyone in the family will get affected.

Well done charile!!! Hoped that quiz help that i send you

Cornishbabe
26-02-2006, 14:58
Is alcholism herditary? Im sure someone once told be it was im nit sure in they ment behavoural or genetical?