PDA

View Full Version : Nana's royal cup of tea

Dutchgirl
27-11-2005, 22:18
26 November 2005
NANA'S RIGHT ROYAL CUPPA

Considering that dear old Nana Moon is regarded with the same kind of affection once reserved for the Queen Mum, it seems only appropriate that she should want to have tea with Her Majesty.

‘You could set my hair for me,’ she tells a bewildered and concerned Kat on Friday. ‘Cos you see, darling, I’m going to meet the Queen, and I want to look my best. Don’t I, Alfie?’

Diagnosed with a terminal illness, this is the latest challenge she gives her devoted grandson in fulfilling a long list of things she wants to do before she finally dies. While he has arranged for her to be arrested, visit her late husband William’s grave in Normandy for the superb Nana’s Remembrance Day episode, host a curry night and play poker, this dream tests even Alfie.

But, with Kat’s help, he pulls it off.

Packed with poignancy, it is one of the year’s most moving soap stories, not least of all for Shane Richie’s understated sadness, and the endearing qualities the delightful Hilda Braid brings to her role as frail Nana.

And both are struggling to come to terms with her imminent death.

‘She looked after me when I was a kid, when I really needed her,’ Alfie says at one point. ‘An’ I wanna look after her – ’cos she’s my nan.’

Yes, it’s that simple. And when the Palace refuses Alfie an audience, Kat arranges for them to eat cucumber sandwiches and drink tea in the Royal enclosure at Madame Tussauds. And it’s a magical experience for them all.

‘Hey, we ’aven’t just got one HRH,’ says a laughing Alfie, pointing out Princes Philip and Charles behind them. ‘The whole family ’ave turned up for us.’

Now that’s what you call waxing lyrical. Don’t miss a minute of it…

Mirror Soapbox

Dutchgirl
27-11-2005, 22:19
Sorry did not see the other thread>