PDA

View Full Version : laptop

chance
15-11-2005, 21:16
right guys i am a right thicko when it comes to pc kinda things so be nice!

bought a laptop today and a rooter??
how exactly do you connect to the net? is that what the rooters for? its wireless but how does that work? is the rooter to charge it?
help me im a dumb ass when it comes to these things

Debs
15-11-2005, 22:09
you and me both chance! im dead jealous wuld love a laptop!!!!!

alan45
15-11-2005, 23:19
you plug the router into your telephone socket and after running its program on your laptop you should be able to access the net friom antwher in the house or garden

Jojo
16-11-2005, 08:51
Alan is totally right chance. Like he says, you plug your router into your phone socket (with the filter supplied), and run the installation program that came with it. Once you have done that, it should be fine and working - its what I've got, so I can wander around whilst chatting - its great!! :D :cheer:

chance
16-11-2005, 09:18
you plug the router into your telephone socket and after running its program on your laptop you should be able to access the net friom antwher in the house or garden
so do i not need to get a internet provider to send me out a kit thing me jig to gain access to the net? or does this router thing do it all?

alan45
16-11-2005, 09:58
so do i not need to get a internet provider to send me out a kit thing me jig to gain access to the net? or does this router thing do it all?

You use your existing connection to the net. Instaed of the modem you previously used the router acts as your new modem and all your names and passwords remain the same. **** Set up security on the router so as neighbours cannot access the net using your router. *******

Most of the manufacturers have a UK helpline number if you need help

Alan

chance
16-11-2005, 10:08
You use your existing connection to the net. Instaed of the modem you previously used the router acts as your new modem and all your names and passwords remain the same. **** Set up security on the router so as neighbours cannot access the net using your router. *******

Most of the manufacturers have a UK helpline number if you need help

Alan

help?!! i need a miracle! im so thick when it comes to this kinda thing and i havent got the patience to sit there and do it.alan,come to my house please! il pay you well! :o

so ok im with wannadoo on this pc right? so how do i use it on the laptop? how is this router thing going to know im with wannadoo?what do i have to connect it to so it knows if ya get me? am i makin a complete idiot of myself yet?

alan45
16-11-2005, 10:26
Right slow down. First thing to do is to connect your existing PC to the router. Your wanadoo connections are on there. What make is your router??

chance
16-11-2005, 21:15
omg!im on! sat here on my settee on a laptop!its dead weird!
thanks ever so much for your help alan!
got hubby to take it to a mate of his and he told him how to doit!

alan45
17-11-2005, 15:06
omg!im on! sat here on my settee on a laptop!its dead weird!
thanks ever so much for your help alan!
got hubby to take it to a mate of his and he told him how to doit!

It shows how sad we all are when whe can sit with a laptop watching tv, eating dinner and talking to our spouses at the same time. :D

Jojo
17-11-2005, 15:12
It shows how sad we all are when whe can sit with a laptop watching tv, eating dinner and talking to our spouses at the same time. :DAre you really female then Alan, coz men can't do more than one thing at a time :rotfl: :D :D

Rain_
20-11-2005, 09:03
Does anyone have the BT wireless connection? I've ordered it because i've bought my son a laptop with wireless connection for xmas becuase i don't want wires running up the stairs but can i still hardwire my downstairs PC and xbox? I don't have a wireless card in either.

alan45
20-11-2005, 10:32
Does anyone have the BT wireless connection? I've ordered it because i've bought my son a laptop with wireless connection for xmas becuase i don't want wires running up the stairs but can i still hardwire my downstairs PC and xbox? I don't have a wireless card in either.

I have a wireless network in my house. The main PC was originally hardwired into the phone socket but I bought a wireless network adapter for it which plugs into the usb port (£15 in PC World). It works great :)

Kim
20-11-2005, 10:57
you and me both chance! im dead jealous wuld love a laptop!!!!!

The only computer I have is a laptop lol. Ours is connected to the internet via a wireless that is connected to the digital set top box.

Rain_
20-11-2005, 19:36
I have a wireless network in my house. The main PC was originally hardwired into the phone socket but I bought a wireless network adapter for it which plugs into the usb port (£15 in PC World). It works great :)

Thanks for the input...i'm going to PC world tomorrow. Have to be sneaky though otherwise he'll cotton on to what i'm doing!!

chance
21-11-2005, 22:38
so can you only go out with it if you have a card? i think this goes ten miles or so before i need a card?