PDA

View Full Version : Eastenders getting to depressing

angelblue
14-11-2005, 10:14
I just thought i would start a thread a about ee getting depressing i personally think tptb are pushing it at the moment with all these deaths in a space of a year we have already had 4 death and a another two on the way i understand that viewers want explosive storyline and drama this is what tptb want to and to make high rating to beat their rival but in order for this to happen does someone alway have to die what is going on cant we get drama without someone dying for once i personally dont constantly want to see someone dying or grieving for once i just want christmas without something bad happening cant we have happy ending for once isnt real life hard enough i am all up for drama and explosive storyline but constant deaths is just depressing i know it only tv but this kind of things happen in real life i dont think we need constant reminders

thanks rant over sorry :o

crazygirl
14-11-2005, 10:18
ee is always depressing it always has been so whats new

Florijo
14-11-2005, 10:29
I know what you mean but all the soaps have become more depressing and shocking over the last few years, not just EE. It seems that soap producers think that the only way they can beat their rivals is to have death and destruction. If you look at the highest ever ratings for episodes of EE, most of them contain death, misery and heartache. Death and depression = High ratings for EastEnders.

I think there should be a balance in EE between depressing and miserable storylines, and happy and uplifting storylines, especially at Christmas time. I think EE do need to cut back on the deaths (which I think they will do next year) but EE has always been about the gritty, hard reality of life, mixed in with warm cockney humor. I never want EE to change and become Corrie, Neighbours or Hollyoaks-like. I have nothing against those shows but personally I find them too silly sometimes and they have too much humor in them. Before Louise Berridge, EE was always the most gritty soap with warm humor mixed in (i.e the great one-liners from Dot and Pat etc) and I feel that that is what Kate Harwood is trying to do for the future.

Luna
14-11-2005, 11:16

I agree thats what makes it so interesting

p.s loving your banner :D

Chloe O'brien
14-11-2005, 12:24

I agree ee has always been depressing I personally think that all the soaps should be taken off at christmas and the air time be given to decent programmes

callummc
14-11-2005, 13:54
LB made 2 excellent christmas episodes last years and the year beefore which saw den v phill and phill v kate while the wedding in the vic was going on,which ended with all the familys coming together in the square to dance in thw snow,somthing for everyone,really happy ending for all,for me the best christmas since the old den and angie years-no death for christmas-no misery well done LB

crazygirl
14-11-2005, 13:59
its always a misrable xmas on eastenders but thats what makes it exciting

Jessie Wallace
14-11-2005, 14:00
They have to do these story's line to keep it interesting to give us the impact storylines we want, as we still conplain if they are to boring and nothing happens, so they can't win really!

Jojo
14-11-2005, 14:02
Here, why are you invisible then Dawn?? lol

Anyway, I agree with what you have said, they're trying to give us what we want, and if was all happy go lucky, no doubt we would complain that nothing really happened. And this to me, goes for all soaps, not just EE - they all have a nice storyline and a not so nice one running concurrently for xmas and new year - and because we are the gruesome lot we are, we HAVE to tune in to watch what is going to happen, and then its the ratings war again!! :D

Jessie Wallace
14-11-2005, 14:10
Here, why are you invisible then Dawn?? lol

Anyway, I agree with what you have said, they're trying to give us what we want, and if was all happy go lucky, no doubt we would complain that nothing really happened. And this to me, goes for all soaps, not just EE - they all have a nice storyline and a not so nice one running concurrently for xmas and new year - and because we are the gruesome lot we are, we HAVE to tune in to watch what is going to happen, and then its the ratings war again!! :D

Coz that's the way i like it invisable - plus i forgot i had it on that! lol

I can't wait to see how they'll play things, i would be far to boring if they didn't have the dramatic storylines.