PDA

View Full Version : Problem with being shy

angelblue
09-10-2005, 17:28
hi i just wanted to ask does anyone else have an problem with shyness i am okay an around people i know but people i dont i get all self concious and paraniod i know i shouldnt but i do feel like they are staring at me and i worry what people of me :o

willow
09-10-2005, 17:30
i am ok at work as i am behind a counter, but i am pretty shy and i hate using the phone!! i start shaking and get sweaty palms

angelblue
09-10-2005, 17:33
I just dont want people to see me incase they dont like me :)

willow
09-10-2005, 17:35
then they are not the sort of people that you want to know!

Luna
09-10-2005, 18:00
i like to think that im not that shy but when it comes down to metting new people i freeze!!! I started a new job just about a year ago and one oof the girls told me that i didn't talk for the first three months!!!

angelblue
09-10-2005, 18:03
Oh i dont know whats worse starting an new job or meeting people i feel sick :sick:

Luna
09-10-2005, 18:05
but the funny thing is i thought i was doing alright - chatting to people!!

Before i went in i thought to myself - none of these people have ever met me before so they dont know anything about me. I can act differently (not shy) around them and they would never know the difference, so i guess it didn't work

squillyfer
09-10-2005, 18:07
Im ok with public speaches and stuff like that and I'm not actually a shy person but i hate asking for things

Jade
09-10-2005, 18:08
I'm almost loud with people I know but with people I dont i'm always quiet or in large groups, I guess I just need to sus people out before I get to know them, and I dont really like large groups of people.

Luna
09-10-2005, 18:08
i can be quite forceful in shops and stuff if i dont get the right service but am shaking inside when im putting my point forward

willow
09-10-2005, 20:17
i can be so confident when i am at work, i had to refuse to serve a man a while ago and i was totally shaking when i did it!! but it is my job to. he was a man of about 50 ish trying to buy a case of lager for 2 15 year old girls!!! witch is totally illegal i had to sit down and have a fag after that one!!!!

Tori
09-10-2005, 20:19
i'm loud with my friends but shy with teachers! but they hear me shouting etc and say that i have 'inner confidence'. that means they make me speak in class.

i wanna join rangers but i can't bring myself to do so because i'm shy- it's annoying as my parents keep pestering me to do it!

Jade
09-10-2005, 20:19
i can be so confident when i am at work, i had to refuse to serve a man a while ago and i was totally shaking when i did it!! but it is my job to. he was a man of about 50 ish trying to buy a case of lager for 2 15 year old girls!!! witch is totally illegal i had to sit down and have a fag after that one!!!!

When I used to work in a pub I used to have to do things like that, it was especially hard when I had to refuse to serve people who were very drunk as your not supposed to and they got aggressive

willow
09-10-2005, 20:24
When I used to work in a pub I used to have to do things like that, it was especially hard when I had to refuse to serve people who were very drunk as your not supposed to and they got aggressive

i work in an offlicence and i am the licencee too, so it is my neck on the line if the law is broken, it is really scary when you have to id someone or refuse, as i am so small it is really hard but i try and remember that the law is on my side and we have panic buttons!!!

when i am not at work though i am very shy and i hate talking to people i don't know, or walking in to a room and not knowing who is going to be in there!!

Tori
09-10-2005, 20:26
yeah... i'd hate to be a licensee. i can stand up to my friends and have liuke a mega argument, because i'm good at that. but i couldn't do it to a stranger

willow
09-10-2005, 20:28
it is very difficult, as i am only 5ft 3 i have to look up to everyone to ask for id!!!
my confidence has grown a lot in the last few years

.:SpIcYsPy:.
09-10-2005, 20:30
hi i just wanted to ask does anyone else have an problem with shyness i am okay an around people i know but people i dont i get all self concious and paraniod i know i shouldnt but i do feel like they are staring at me and i worry what people of me :o
Im like that!! I get self concious most time time.. how I look, do I look ok, is my hair still stiraght or looks like I got out of bed!!

Jade
09-10-2005, 20:30
it is very difficult, as i am only 5ft 3 i have to look up to everyone to ask for id!!!
my confidence has grown a lot in the last few years

I'm the same hight I wish I was taller it would help in confrontational situations

Tori
09-10-2005, 20:31
i'm about that height... all the year 7s are bigger than me so it doesn't help with confrontations on door

Luna
09-10-2005, 20:31
im only 5ft so when i worked in the bar they hated me trying to resolve a fight....apparently im too tiny to be doing that

09-10-2005, 20:32
yeah... i'd hate to be a licensee. i can stand up to my friends and have liuke a mega argument, because i'm good at that. but i couldn't do it to a stranger
I used to be a little angel in school but then now when I am still studying but having fun and when my freidns say im a 'rebel' apparently I makes me confident. No not 'cause they are saying it its cause Im having fun!! Boosts my confidence it does :p I like having mini fights but not that big.. I can but just dont bother lol

Tori
09-10-2005, 20:36
tut tut spicy.... i go off the rails occasionally but i've never had a detention!

09-10-2005, 20:39
I never had a detention, either!!

Chris_2k11
09-10-2005, 20:54
I never had a detention, either!! :eek:

09-10-2005, 21:07
:eek:
Well yes only in Maths this year I got told of like 10 times for doing nothing.. and I complained about her.. When it comes to complaining I am not shy... thanks for remiding me Chris :p

Tori
09-10-2005, 21:08
i can complain like nobodys business... i;m not shy at that either

dddMac1
10-10-2005, 15:47
i am shy around people i don't know but as soon as i get to know them i'm ok

Tori
10-10-2005, 17:08
same here.... teachers wonder though how i can be loud with other teachers. its because i know them...

Abi
10-10-2005, 20:00
I've only hda a few detentions.... the most recent one was for being on here during ICT!!!

Tori
10-10-2005, 20:19
lol! haven't you learnt your lesson???

pip_kin
10-10-2005, 20:46
i have had dentention this year, for telling my teacher he was a loner and had no friends!!!lol!!! i told my i.t teacher he had issues!!! i dont know if im shy, im very loud all the time i never shut upp, but im easily intimidated, cause im only '4ft 11', i hate arhuements but im gona have words with some people at school soon cause they startin to annoy me!!!lol!!!

xsoftladybugx
11-10-2005, 16:02
I've never had a detention in the whole 2 and a bit years i've been at secondary school.... oh god im sure a goody goody lol!! :p

Tori
11-10-2005, 16:40
yousaid that to your teacher ????

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 18:02
lol yeah he is so aragant (sorry i cant spell) he thinks he is something special, when he aint, and the other teacher was being pathetic!!!!

Tori
11-10-2005, 18:04
right lol! i would never do that.... the othger week we were teasing a teacher and someone sent a love note claiming to be from another teachwer and the teacher passed it onto the head!

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 18:25
lmao, im abit cheeky sometimes, i get so wound up with teachers, my dance teacher really hates me, everything that happens is my fault, if someone is talkin over the other side of the room she will tell me!!!!

CrazyLea
11-10-2005, 18:54
im really loud infront of my mates. but when it comes to strangers/people in my class im realyyyy quiet. like in key skills im supposed to be doing a discussion witha mateand this girl and im so nervous ive been putting it off for weeks lol. and then after that i have to do a 5 min presentation in front of the whole class on my own. im so gunna be shaking and mumbling and not knowing what to say.... im scared lol >.< lol

xXxJessxXx
11-10-2005, 19:20
Oh i dont know whats worse starting an new job or meeting people i feel sick :sick:

lol i know how you feel. i used to be like that. infact i still am a bit. i hate meeting new people and i'm dreading getting my first job though i should really start thinking about that as i am 16 now. lol. the thought of it makes me feel all weird and paranoid and scared. lol

I used to be a lot worse with people. i used to be so shy and worried and self conciousl but as i've got older i just dont seem to care. i'd think it'll get lot better when i leave school, but now i've learnt to forget about people who i dont like,know or even care about. if they dont like me or think things about me then so what i ignore them. i'm more confident and outgoing now than i used to be, i still dont like large groups of people nor do i like doing presentations infront of people etc. i never used to like one to one conversation with people i didnt really know, i never knew what to say. but its gettign a lot better now, they cant shut me up! lol

My advise is just be your self and forget every other bugger who puts you down for it. youll get over it time as you get older, i think its somehting most people learn tp grow out of it as they face different responsibilitys and options in life. Shyness is a horrible thing, but once you get over it a little bit at a time you'll soon learn to get rd of it completly. it just takes time. :)

xXxJessxXx
11-10-2005, 19:22
i have had dentention this year, for telling my teacher he was a loner and had no friends!!!lol!!! i told my i.t teacher he had issues!!! i dont know if im shy, im very loud all the time i never shut upp, but im easily intimidated, cause im only '4ft 11', i hate arhuements but im gona have words with some people at school soon cause they startin to annoy me!!!lol!!!

I've said worse to teachers before i think. lol especially when they wind me up! lol. i've never got a detention neither i dont think over the 4 and a bit years i've been there. lets see if i go go the rest of the nine or so months with out gettign one. :D

i've been sent out of class a few times etc but never detentions. :angel:

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 20:50
lol, im such a rebel though!!!! i wasnt really ever in my maths lesson before, i was always outside but it didnt help so all you well behaved people please stay well behaved!!! but now we have a new teacher im fine so yay!! im so scared of leaving school, what if people dont like me and i end up with no friends!!!AHHHHHHH!!!!

Penguin8191
11-10-2005, 22:16
I'm actually quite loud wi ma mates but i hate meeting new folk! i hate phoning people n going to peoples houses! it makes me feel sick and my voice trembles n everything! i always think that they r judging me n they all hate me etc! its such a scary thing!

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 22:23
aww, im not that bad, i hate public speaking, cause i have a bit of a lisp everyone says its cute, but i hate it soo much!!!!

Penguin8191
11-10-2005, 22:29
my mate thinks i need to see a shrink! lol!

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 22:36
aww lol im sure you dont, just think on the positive side, dont think that people are automatically gona hate you and just be yourself and you will be fine in any situation!!!

angelblue
11-10-2005, 22:38
Dont worry i have that problem to because i dont like myself i feel eveyone i am going to meet are going hate me so i prefer not to meet :)

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 22:40
aww, why dont you like yourself, the people in the year above me dont like me they were takin the mick out of me today but i was just like ' omg i wish i was as cool as you, not' and got over it they all planks, and if people dont like you then they aint worth the effort!!!

angelblue
11-10-2005, 22:42
I am just not confident thats all

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 22:45
im not really, im not with boys at all, but if people dont like me then its their problem and their loss, just dont let little things get to you, i think there is something wrong with me as im always second best to someone else!!!!

angelblue
11-10-2005, 22:49
im not really, im not with boys at all, but if people dont like me then its their problem and their loss, just dont let little things get to you, i think there is something wrong with me as im always second best to someone else!!!!

I am sure their is nothing wrong with you i actually think you are really nice person as an first impresssion :)

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 22:52
aww thanks, you seem nice too, i think thats my problem im to nice, so people think they can walk all over me, all my friends are being really wierd at the moment but hey its time like these when you realise who your real mates are!!!

angelblue
11-10-2005, 22:54
yep its an shame how being nice person does that to you

pip_kin
11-10-2005, 22:58
it is a shame, i hate stuck up people, they make me mad!!!! shyness is sweet though, i think it is!!!

Emma-Lou
16-10-2005, 12:54
i'm fine around people i have known for a while and friends but when i first met people i don't talk to them unless they ask me a question.At school i'm shy and hate talking to teachers ,at parents evenings teachers every year tell my parents i'm quiet but i am getting a bit better now.when i first came on these boards i did not comment incase i said the wrong thing and people got angry seems silly now as everyone is so nice.

Tori
16-10-2005, 17:27
same here. i was the same when i firsrt came here

Sam Nixon Fan
17-10-2005, 23:37
Thinkof it this way! You are who you are, your not who your not!! If meone whether its a boyfriend or just a mate doesnt accept that then they aint worth knowing!

Penguin8191
18-10-2005, 22:01
i hate shyness coz all i wanna be is liked but how can people like me if i dont talk to them lol i sound like such a sad case! lol

Kaydie
19-10-2005, 21:15
Im very shy, but id rather be shy than a big gob,I can't stand people who are in your face,they think the world revolves around them.Im proud of being shy its sort of mysterious

pip_kin
19-10-2005, 22:45
everyone likes to be liked though, i have been lucky i have been popular all the way through school, im kinda shy but im really loud to and i have a messed up sense of humour, but hey people seem to like me so i aint gona change!!!

di marco
13-11-2005, 08:55
im ok round friends and people in my class, but other people i know and im likely to see again i never know what to say incase i say something wrong, im ok with people im never going to see again as it doesnt matter what they think of you. i dont like the phone cos i never know what to say and the other person might ask a question which im not prepared for and also i cant express myself as easily on the phone as i can when i speak to someone face to face. my mums cousin finds it weird cos i want to do something in performing arts when im older and i dont have a problem with performing to people as im not being me so it doesnt matter, if i perform things ive made up i dont like it, but if im in a play that someone else has written im fine cos the lines are written so i know what to say and im not me so i wont seem stupid!

pip_kin
15-11-2005, 19:36
awww, i only really get shy around older people and guys im go really quiet around guys when i first meet them, cause i dont want them to think im a t**t!!!! do you want to be an actresser??!! i get so nervous when i do my little dance performances!!!

di marco
15-11-2005, 21:05
awww, i only really get shy around older people and guys im go really quiet around guys when i first meet them, cause i dont want them to think im a t**t!!!! do you want to be an actresser??!! i get so nervous when i do my little dance performances!!!

yeh id like to be an actrees. and i get shy around guys when i first meet them, unless theyre going out with one of my mates then its ok. i just dont want them to think im flirting with them so i normally dont say anything lol!

MADHATTER
16-11-2005, 19:40
When i first started High School i was quite shy because i didn't know anyone, but thankfully for me i made gr8 friends who helped me open up, and know it's difficult to shut me up, but i do still get shy in some situations and my legs start trembling, especially wen i'm meeting new ppl or i have to stand up in front of loads of people and talk, but recently i've started volunteering for things at uni and that has helped me become even more confident.

pip_kin
16-11-2005, 21:50
awww wow, id love to do that but i cant act lol!!! i dont know when im flirting, i dont think i do really!!! awww, MADHATTER thats just like what has happen to my friend she used to be so quiet till she met me lol her mum said i have helped her become more confident yay!!!!

MADHATTER
17-11-2005, 10:59
Then your a great friend pipkin, because I thank god I met my best mate when I did because I don't think i'd be the same without her, because her non-judgemental attitude towards me is what made me so confident and self assured.

I am usually a little wary around guys that I find attractive but if it's just someone my mate fancies I am talkative and maybe a little flirty with them because I know I don't have nothing to lose, but once there was someone I fancied and instead of getting shy around him I used to joke around with him in a flirty way, but he was 1 of the few guys I felt kinda relaxed around even though I fancied him.

pip_kin
17-11-2005, 19:37
yay, she is one of my many best mates, and she is great we are going to prom together this saturday i cant wait, she has changed so much but its good change!!!

the guys in my year are all horrible and i dont like alot of them to be honest, and the guys i do go out with arent very nice to me or about me, im one of the only single ones now!!!!!

***sharon rules***
12-01-2006, 16:47
i feel just the same as you.i cant even go to the shops on my own because i feel like someone will say something about me or just star at me i hate it.

dragoneye454
20-01-2006, 12:25
I am really shy too. It drives me mad. I have problems talking to new people and I always feel people are going to put me down for something I say or what I look like.

***sharon rules***
20-01-2006, 17:37
i feel the same.

adorableangel
31-01-2006, 23:14
i think that all people are shy to an extent, but some are better at masking their shyness then others. the best thing you can do if you feel shy is to control it by not letting it get in the way of things, just take a deep breath and get on with things, the more you do things the less shy you will be! you just have to believe in yourself and be the first to make converstion! trust me its a personal tried and tested technique! i also think that the older you get and the more life experiences you have the less you worry about being shy.