PDA

View Full Version : Recycling/Composting

Jojo
04-10-2005, 11:14
Ok - I have a bit of a moan here, and am wondering if anyone else has encountered these problems...

I am all for recycling etc and make sure that I do it but 4 weeks ago, we were finally delivered brown wheelie bins to put compostable waste in. We aren't allowed to use bags or anything, it just has to be put straight in the bin. Well this worked fine for one/two days but on day three, we had a bit of a rainstorm and this is what I opened the lid to the following day:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/324/img0122ne.th.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0122ne.jpg)http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4854/img0131pu.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0131pu.jpg)

I have emailed our council about this, cause we are supposed to keep these bins in our back gardens and I'm sorry, but I am not having maggots crawling around my back garden with my children playing out there etc, and they are supposed to be getting back to me on it, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has had the same problems if this type of scheme is operated in your area. I don't want to stop recycling and I think its not really an option now anyway, but I certainly don't want to be dealing with maggots either - HELP!!!

Debs
04-10-2005, 12:20
OOh yuck no i wouldnt want that either! horrid little maggots!

im all for recycling but i just wouldnt do that one!!

willow
04-10-2005, 12:22
i am all for it too but that is gross. and if you can't use bags are the council going to get people in to clean the bins or are you going to have to do it???
we don't have the scheme here we just recycle glass, plastic and paper

Jojo
04-10-2005, 12:25
We used to do just glass, paper, card and tins, though we had to seperate everything otherwise we'd get nasty stickers on everything and they wouldn't collect it. And they are expecting us to wash the bins out etc - its disgusting!!! :angry:

willow
04-10-2005, 12:29
thats not on, how do they expect you to do that? the bin men round here are ok, if we mix it up they do sort it out, as i normally have about 3 bin bags full of plasic as well as the baskets full (they only collect every 2 weeks) and the glass is collected once a month, its taking the mick that you have to clean it out yourself if maggots were on it after 3 days they are going to be minging!!!

Jojo
04-10-2005, 12:35
They don't take plastic here - the bin men are pretty good and take most of it but the other recyclers (yes for some reason, our district council employs 2 different "gangs" to collect 2 different types of recycling!!) are so finicky - everything has to be separated, washed etc - I wonder what I am paying my council tax for sometimes!!

Hubby has to wash the bin out each week to stop it from stinking and contaminating everything around - its just so gross, especially watching them wriggling down the pavement in search of a food source :sick: :sick:

I'm sure Gil Grissom would love it, but I certainly don't and think its soooo unhygenic.

willow
04-10-2005, 12:38
They don't take plastic here - the bin men are pretty good and take most of it but the other recyclers (yes for some reason, our district council employs 2 different "gangs" to collect 2 different types of recycling!!) are so finicky - everything has to be separated, washed etc - I wonder what I am paying my council tax for sometimes!!

Hubby has to wash the bin out each week to stop it from stinking and contaminating everything around - its just so gross, especially watching them wriggling down the pavement in search of a food source :sick: :sick:

I'm sure Gil Grissom would love it, but I certainly don't and think its soooo unhygenic.

i wonder what we pay it for sometimes!!!

i started paying a bloke to wash mine but it was 3.50 a time so i decided to do it myself what a horrid job!!
i really hate maggots, see if you can find someone who goes fishing that wants them!! eeeww!!

chance
04-10-2005, 13:10
ewwwwwwwwwwwww! :sick:

Richie_lecturer
04-10-2005, 13:27
Jo, are you sure someone hasn't been eating super noodles over your wheely bin, rather than it experiencing an infestation of maggots? :searchme:

Jojo
04-10-2005, 13:34
Jo, are you sure someone hasn't been eating super noodles over your wheely bin, rather than it experiencing an infestation of maggots? :searchme:lol - Richie, I take it you did look at the pics and last time I remember, supernoodles didn't morph into flies when a bin lid was opened!! :lol:

willow
04-10-2005, 13:34
Jo, are you sure someone hasn't been eating super noodles over your wheely bin, rather than it experiencing an infestation of maggots? :searchme:

he he reminds me of the film the lost boys!!! so it could be a joker with some egg fried rice!!!!

crazygirl
04-10-2005, 17:02
i got maggots had maggots once in my wheelie bin they were so nasty they made me cringe!!
how often do the rubbish men come to empy yours we get ours emtied once a fortnight

Tori
04-10-2005, 18:17
omg, we've never had this problem!!

we have green for compost and we also do paper, cans and glass... we should do cardboard like macclesfield do, rather than offloading all out stuff onto him!

Trinity
04-10-2005, 18:25
We have 3 weelie bins
Blue for paper card board plastics cans etc - emptied once every 4 weeks
Brown for composable waste - garden clippings, vegetabel peelings, tea bags coffee grounds and egg shells but no left over cooked items - emptied once every 4 weeks
black for everything else (except glass, this has to go to the bottle bank) - emptied once evey two weeks.

We have had this system for over 5 years and I have never had maggots in my brown bin! Had you left the lid open at all? Maggots are the larve of bluebottle flies so I wouldn't want that too near my back door!

The bins are never cleaned out, just emptied, and I don't have a problem really. Although you really have to do all the recycling because the normal bin is only emtied once a fortnight and the bin men will not take away anything that is not in a bin so it would get really full really fast. Also if the wrong stuff is in the bin they won't emty that either as if effects everything in the bin lorry that is going for recycling.

Tori
04-10-2005, 18:27
tha loads! its like in manchester where they have loads of bins because such a huge area is needed to be done. i think they have 5!!

crazygirl
04-10-2005, 20:07
i have 2 blue boxes for glass and cans they soon fill up with carling!!

hazey
04-10-2005, 22:54
Ok - I have a bit of a moan here, and am wondering if anyone else has encountered these problems...

I am all for recycling etc and make sure that I do it but 4 weeks ago, we were finally delivered brown wheelie bins to put compostable waste in. We aren't allowed to use bags or anything, it just has to be put straight in the bin. Well this worked fine for one/two days but on day three, we had a bit of a rainstorm and this is what I opened the lid to the following day:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/324/img0122ne.th.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0122ne.jpg)http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4854/img0131pu.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0131pu.jpg)

I have emailed our council about this, cause we are supposed to keep these bins in our back gardens and I'm sorry, but I am not having maggots crawling around my back garden with my children playing out there etc, and they are supposed to be getting back to me on it, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has had the same problems if this type of scheme is operated in your area. I don't want to stop recycling and I think its not really an option now anyway, but I certainly don't want to be dealing with maggots either - HELP!!! Do you not have a normal waste collection as well, as were I live we have to buy black bags for normal waste, and have compost bins for the gardens, and a green box for paper,card tins etc.The only way you get maggots is from rotting flesh eg chicken bone,fish bones etc,surely you dont have to put this sort of waste in the bin, without being able to put them in bags. If you do why don't you wrap any meat waste in newspaper,before putting in the bin then the flies wouldn't be able to lay the eggs,and newspaper is composable.

Jojo
05-10-2005, 11:54
Well, I shall quote my leaflet which tells me exactly what to put in the brown bin, but I have alternate collections - recycling inc brown bin one week, and other household the following week. I have never left the lid open and we are not allowed to put newspaper in the brown bin.....my leaflet says:

Brown Bin
Garden Waste - hedge clippings, grass cuttings, weeds, leaves and small branches up to 4 in thick
Kitchen Waste - all raw and cooked food waste, tea bags, vegetable peelings, egg shells, bread, kitchen towels, meat and fish
Cardboard - cardboard packaging, cereal boxes, envelopes without plastic windows.

No plastic - if you need to wrap food waste please use card, do not use plastic bags

Other recycling (seperate collection) - newspapers, magazines and other paper, glass bottles and jars, tins and cans, cardboard drinks cartons, foil, plastic milk cartons, plastic carrier bags, clothes and shoes.

Please seperate all materials in your boxes using carrier bags

Anything else please put out as non recycleable refuse etc etc

I'd scan the leaflet in if I thought you'd be able to read it. And now I have these maggots - the lid is never left open, mostly because of the disgusting stench that comes from it, so the only way I can see them getting in is by laying just under the lid, so when its opened they are free to wriggle their way to freedom :sick:

Trinity
05-10-2005, 11:59
I am amazed that they are telling you to put eft over food and raw meat in - no wonder there are maggots!

I would say it is a problem with their instructions.

Jojo
05-10-2005, 12:09
Well, I have emailed them and included the pics I took, so waiting for them to come back to me...... I just really angry about the whole thing though :angry: