PDA

View Full Version : Characters leaving

Florijo
30-09-2005, 12:17
I may be in a minority here (which is ok, as I love debate :) ) but personally I will be glad to see the back of some of these characters that are leaving in the next few months (except Chrissie, I love her hair :wub: :D )

In my opinion, part of EE's problem after the last 2 - 3 years has been that they have been relying on select characters and made everything about them. Kat, Alfie, Sharon and Dennis have been over exposed so much that the writers never spend the effort developing other characters, which given better things to do could be interesting characters. Kat, Alfie, Sharon and Dennis (and in my opinion, the dreaded concept of 'Shannis' and 'Kalfie' :angry: ) have become bigger than the show itself and I don't think that is good for EE. The other soaps seem to have a more balanced cast, which I think makes for a better soap as storylines are spread out more and characters have a longer shelf life.

Take Minty and Garry for example. Granted, they have been given the 'honour' of a trip to France this week, but that is about it. For the rest of time, they are relegated to working in the garage and talking about women.

I know EE has always had its more central cast members (Steve, Lisa, Phil, Mel etc) but it makes the cast seem so unbalanced. Personally I would love the writers to do more with Jane and Ian but they will always be ignored because of the likes of Sharon, Dennis, Alfie and Kat and their hogging of everything that it EE over the last year. Although obviously Dennis and Sharon are central to the Den being killed plot, I don't think it would have hurt the writers to have at least given other characters more to do.

What does everyone else think? :)

i_luv_dennis
30-09-2005, 16:05
everyone is leaving

Sam Nixon Fan
30-09-2005, 16:17
These characters have been given all the storylines because they are the ones who can pull them off! If you think about this Den murder stroyline, it wouldnt have been as interesting if some of the new characters had been involved as opposed to Chrisse and Sam who have both been strong characters! I do agree that when these types of characters leaves EE has left itself with nothing. Theyl ahve a great few months while all the 'elite' leave but after that what are we going to be left with Martin n Sonia? n thats about it really! People like Jesse Wallace and Shane Ritchie are over used but as much as i dont like Alfie if io reafd that theres a 2 hander between them i know itl be good! If i read there was a 2hander between Gary n Minty i wouldnt be watching! Only my opinions tho!!

_lil_hunni
30-09-2005, 17:26
Im not glad that sharon,dennis,kat,chrissie are leaving because theyr my favourites. But the biggest loss 4 me is chrissie, theres more 4 her character to give.:( its a shame about kat too but she has done so much it might be good for a long break so she cud come back fresh in a coulple years.

Flozza
30-09-2005, 17:38
i'm going to miss them all so much :)

Carrie Bradshaw
30-09-2005, 18:06
This week EE writers gave more minor characters (including Gary and minty which you mentioned specifically) more major storylines and made them the main focus of the episodes. I haven't watched that much of them, to be honest, so I can't judge but the general consensus in the episode discussion from the majority of people is that this week is pretty boring.
I agree that it seems like some of the actors and actresses think of themselves as bigger than the show, but I think that EE will definitely suffer with the loss of so many central characters. These are the characters that have made the show exciting and encouraged viewers to tune in week after week, and they are clearly very popular.

sarah21
30-09-2005, 22:05
I may be in a minority here (which is ok, as I love debate :) ) but personally I will be glad to see the back of some of these characters that are leaving in the next few months (except Chrissie, I love her hair :wub: :D )

In my opinion, part of EE's problem after the last 2 - 3 years has been that they have been relying on select characters and made everything about them. Kat, Alfie, Sharon and Dennis have been over exposed so much that the writers never spend the effort developing other characters, which given better things to do could be interesting characters. Kat, Alfie, Sharon and Dennis (and in my opinion, the dreaded concept of 'Shannis' and 'Kalfie' :angry: ) have become bigger than the show itself and I don't think that is good for EE. The other soaps seem to have a more balanced cast, which I think makes for a better soap as storylines are spread out more and characters have a longer shelf life.

Take Minty and Garry for example. Granted, they have been given the 'honour' of a trip to France this week, but that is about it. For the rest of time, they are relegated to working in the garage and talking about women.

I know EE has always had its more central cast members (Steve, Lisa, Phil, Mel etc) but it makes the cast seem so unbalanced. Personally I would love the writers to do more with Jane and Ian but they will always be ignored because of the likes of Sharon, Dennis, Alfie and Kat and their hogging of everything that it EE over the last year. Although obviously Dennis and Sharon are central to the Den being killed plot, I don't think it would have hurt the writers to have at least given other characters more to do.

What does everyone else think? :)

Couldn't agree with you more! They have pushed these characters in our faces and totally left out, what are to me, the backbone characters of EE. When they leave, we will then have to spend time getting to know the better characters again. EE started to have its problems when this started to happen. So, we finally have a storyline that is bringing back a few more viewers, but it was all the Kat/Alfie and Shannis rubbish that had people turning off last year.

And before anyone is more insulting about Sonia and Martin, if we actually saw them instead of them disappearing for months on end and then only having the casual few seconds of a storyline, we might give a damn. I've read comments about them being boring. How can they be boring when we never see them? Sonia, in particular, has had very good storylines in the past and Natalie has more than proved herself, winning awards along the way. Unfortunately, she has been pushed aside for the less competent Michelle Ryan playing pretty little Zoe. Ian and Jane also need more storylines and thank God they are bringing in a family for the wasted Pat.

Sorry, if this sounds a little harsh, I'm not getting at anyone here but I'm more than a little annoyed at the way EE has become. They have ruined my favourite soap, and despite it starting to get a little better, it still has a long way to go.

Florijo
30-09-2005, 23:15
The thing is though, we don't know if the other characters could pull off the bigger storylines because they are never given the chance. How did the writers and producers know that Jessie Wallace would be able to pull off the 'I'm Your Muvver' storyline', which was after all, her first major storyline? They did'nt, it could have been a disaster, but they gave Jessie a chance and trusted in her acting ability and it paid off.

I'm so happy that they are bringing in a family for Pat, she is part of EE's history and she has been shamelessly ignored. Pat may not be the most exciting or intresting character, and she does not scream, shout, pout or sulk every five minutes like some characters I could mention, but she is a good character and she is a traditional Walford women - strong and independent, especially as I always thought that EE was at its best when it had strong women at the centre of its storylines.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Kat, Alfie (well ok, I hate Alfie), Sharon or Dennis. I'm just fed up of them hogging the screen the whole time.

Johnny Allen
01-10-2005, 12:21
I'm not bothered about any of them leaving, actors and actresses come and go in soaps all the time, and if you ask me half of them characters aren't great anyway, Alfie is boring now, Kat shouts too much, Dennis annoys me and I'm not always convinced by Nigel Harman's acting.

I will miss Chrissie abit, although I guess her character has run it's course. For me it's not these couples and characters that make the show it's classic characters like Dot and Jim, now Eastenders would be a sham if they ever left.

MiTcHeLlS_rOk
01-10-2005, 15:25
m already missing Kim even though she only left on the 22nd Sept!
holz x0x

melanielovesdennisrickman
03-10-2005, 16:53
Hiya!!
I'm really gonna miss Chrissie,Sharon,Dennis,Kalfie,but there are a lot of new people coming into EastEnders,wich can also be a good thing.
But can't they just keep the fabulous Chrissie??

Love
:heart: Melanie :heart:

MiTcHeLlS_rOk
07-10-2005, 17:13
i think they should keep chrissie because her character still has a lot more to give!
she has been a brilliant character even thought she left poor Sam in the nick!
holz x0

melanielovesdennisrickman
07-10-2005, 19:05
Yeah,i also think that they should keep Chrissie,she is absolutely fabulous!!
I hope that she Might return one day,as EastEnders has said that the door has been left open for Tracy-Ann!!

alkalinetrio
07-10-2005, 19:15
only caracter i liked out of the ones leaving is dennis

.:SpIcYsPy:.
07-10-2005, 21:00
Isn't this a total spoiler..