PDA

View Full Version : How To Use Hair Straightners

Debs
24-09-2005, 00:50
I have just discovered the joys of the hair starighteer neve used one before but my hair has got a bit wild lately and my hairdresser decided to straighten instead of blow dry for my brothers weddingsince then ive beem hooked i love my really straight hair

bought some the other day so if like me your a hair straightening virgin i found some tips that help

Debs
24-09-2005, 00:51
The gospel according to Antoinette Beenders, British Hairdresser of the Year and Aveda's global style director, goes like this:

1. Straighteners are designed for occasional, not daily use, as they work at a high temperature and can cause damage.

2. Don't rely solely on straightening irons – blow-dry hair smooth first.

3. Always use a styling spray before heat straightening – this acts as a barrier between hair and heat.

4. Steam straighteners add moisture to the hair, allowing for glossy, silky results.

5. Don't try to straighten too much hair at once – keeping the sections small will avoid ridges forming at the roots.

Wearing pin-straight styles should be reserved for special occasions, such as a job interview, where hair needs to ooze polished professionalism, or a date where you likewise want to shine. It's the flat surface, reflection ratio for all you Eva Longoria-type science lovers out there - aquaholics on a beach holiday shouldn't even try.

Remove some of the hard slog involved in taming rogue locks with products specifically for straight finishes, such as L'anza's Strait-Line salon-quality quartet of smooth operators, from £8.95 and Lee Stafford's Poker Straight Shampoo and Poker Straight Conditioner, £3.99 each, www.leestafford.com (http://www.leestafford.com/). Post-towel-drying, detangling tamers TRESemmé Silk Shine Straightener, £3.99, Wella High Hair Sleek Wonder, £7.45 and Aveda Hang Straight, £14, www.aveda.com (http://www.aveda.com/), each encourage wet hair to straighten up and lie right.

With the crucial blow-dry the correct hairbrush is key. Medium or large radial brushes with natural bristles and flat paddle brushes with rubber pins are best. Comb through first and then roughly blow-dry for a couple of minutes. The Vogueti Pro Ceramic Thermal Straightening Brush, £7.85 (01296 390590) has ceramic plates, which heat up to dry and straighten simultaneously. Clip the top sections of hair out of the way and select brush-wide underneath sections, starting from the back of the head and working forwards. Ensure each one is completely dry before moving on to the next. Do it right and you should only need to use straighteners through the top sections, leaving your style with more vitality. Use a heat-protection product, such as Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide, £13.45, www.redken.com (http://www.redken.com/) first. Remington's Wet2Straight irons, £79.99, www.remington.co.uk (http://www.remington.co.uk/), work on damp hair, converting water into steam and actively increasing moisture content compared to locks that have been left to dry naturally. Use a smooth action from root to tip and two or three strokes each time and go straight to gorgeous.

crazygirl
29-09-2005, 10:17
they damage your hair, but i still couldnt live without mine!!

Debs
29-09-2005, 11:00
I can do one half of my hair but then itry the rest and i just cant do it!! my lovely hubbie does it for me!!

Gabby
29-09-2005, 17:36
I cant imagine my dad or brother straightening my hair..lol

xXxJessxXx
29-09-2005, 17:52
I cant imagine my dad or brother straightening my hair..lol

:lol: me neither. i dont actually think i would even let them near my starightners, especially not my brother i've seen him with a hairbrush on long hair, dont good! lol, i think i'd be scarred for life. literaly wiht all those burns! lol i dont think i'd let my boyfriend near me wiht them either. lol

xXxJessxXx
29-09-2005, 17:58
1. Straighteners are designed for occasional, not daily use, as they work at a high temperature and can cause damage.

I straighten my hair every day. i know you shouldnt but i just cant help my self!(Little obsession i have) or leave the house wiht unstraightend hair! lol

i've tried to limit my hair straightening to only when i go out. (I dont mean going out out somewhere nice. i mean out anywhere!leaving it all natural while lazying about the house) i use a heat defnese spray so its all completely damaging my hair but it certainly aint doing it any good either.

i've tried curling it naturaly(For less damaging results) or with the straightners(Back ot my obsession) but it never seems to stay in.(or look very nice for that matter) i've tried to scrunch it when wet and it looks ok for a wehile but then as it dries it dries wavy and frizzy! lol

i've had it curly a couple of times but its horrible. so i dont have no choice but to damage my hair straightening it. i dearnt even leave it unstraightend, unless i blow dry it really well making it go straight. lol

.:SpIcYsPy:.
29-09-2005, 18:28
My hair suits better striaght.. for the last two weeks and still (ever since I had my hair cut) I been striahgtening it.. Every single day... I know its very bad mum keeps repeating everday I love my hair and I know Im damaging it but I don't really straighten it when its long as I can do other things with it.. my hair is up to my shoulders and a bit longer but I keep on striaghtening my hair.. I need to stop!!

xXxJessxXx
29-09-2005, 19:12
My hair suits better striaght.. for the last two weeks and still (ever since I had my hair cut) I been striahgtening it.. Every single day... I know its very bad mum keeps repeating everday I love my hair and I know Im damaging it but I don't really straighten it when its long as I can do other things with it.. my hair is up to my shoulders and a bit longer but I keep on striaghtening my hair.. I need to stop!!

me too , even the hairdresser told me i need to stop. but i cant. but hair just does not suit curly nor does it suit the natural sort of wavy look its got going on. my hair is natursly straight, but wiht the layers i have its no longer dead straight like it used to. tryuing to grow them out a little so its a bit starighter naturally. lol

Layne
29-09-2005, 20:51
Thanks for those tips!!!

I have naturally curly hair so most of the time i just have my hair curly, but my lovely mummy just bought me some decent Straightners (like GHD's but they ain't the same, but still as expensive) so the ti[ps come in handy, !

My friends all striaghten there hair everyday! I just do mine now and agen, well i look better with curly hair anyway! But i do straighten the front bits quite a bit!!!

Tamzi
30-09-2005, 19:05
Thanks for them.
I bought some £50 straighteners today, so now I need to use them. I am going to wash it and everything on Sunday
xxx

~*~Leanne~*~
07-10-2005, 17:59
i use hair straightners every day as mine is naturally curly but every noun and then i leave it as it kinda restores its healty look

Tori
07-10-2005, 18:10
yeah, some people do and it looks really nice and then they go back to straightening it and it goes back to being horrible and split etc

xsoftladybugx
07-10-2005, 19:35
i use hair straightners every day as mine is naturally curly but every noun and then i leave it as it kinda restores its healty look

How curly is it? like proper curls or just waves?

Emma-Lou
30-10-2005, 16:21
I straighten my hair every 2-3 days(rather my mum does as i can't do it) but sometimes longer as i have naturally curly hair and leave it like that.

pip_kin
30-10-2005, 16:28
my straightners aint to good, so i dont really straighten my hair anymore, but im gettin some ghd's and im gona give my hair a make over!!!

Sam Nixon Fan
02-11-2005, 18:26
i have naturally curly hair but i straghten it everyday, everynow and again i leave it curly tho just to stop burning it.

xsoftladybugx
02-11-2005, 18:29
i have naturally curly hair but i straghten it everyday, everynow and again i leave it curly tho just to stop burning it.

Same here

Layne
02-11-2005, 18:34

I have naturally curly hair and i only straighten mine now and again! I usaully wear my hair curly, and plus curls are coming back into fashion! :p *well my hairdresser said!*

Sam Nixon Fan
02-11-2005, 18:38
i dont like mine curly tho, it gets on my nerves and doesnt really go with the clothes i own( ino that sounds daft but it doesnt lol)

samantha nixon
12-01-2006, 20:12
my hair is really curly so mostly straighten mine once then it stays straight untill i wash it next (well my mum or sis do) but i have wet to dry straightenes and normal ones so i mostly do it with wet 2 dry

and someone said there husband does the other half then others said they wouldnt let there boyfriend/husband/brother/dad do there hair but my dad has highlighted mine before

annaz
29-01-2006, 10:29
I try and straigten my hair but it's no use. My hair will always be wavy :( I love straight hair too.

Angeltigger
29-01-2006, 11:10
I have the lovely thing that my hair just go straighter-or i just need to blowdry it

annaz
29-01-2006, 12:21
My friend Heather has long hair that goes down to her waist and it naturally straight. I go green with envy every time I see her.

nicole28
02-02-2006, 20:13
Oh yes anna! I know heather as well but her hair is so static! it sticks to you every time you go near her! Its is so straight and she doesn't straighten it! I have some advice for you! If you want to straighten your hair, always use straighteners! Never think that an iron does a better job! It wrecks you hair!