PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Exchange

JustJodi
28-08-2005, 23:45
hey girls...and guys too

Thought I would start something for recipes.. Since I am an American living in Holland I thought it would be fun to see how many recipes we could collect and exchange:)
the ones I will post are ones I have tried and use often :thumbsup:

Remember if there is something I list that is not familar to you ask me and I can give you an exchange item that will work :)

JustJodi
28-08-2005, 23:52
Jodi's Cheese Ball

2 bars Philladelphia cream cheese
1 cup grated SHARP cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cream frache( thick sour cream)
1 envelope of Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Dressing mix
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

in a bowl let cream cheese soften
mash in dressing mix
add sour cream
add grated cheese
with ur hands form it in a ball
it will be sort of wet..
cover with cling wrap
refridgerate for 3-4 hours
spread chopped pecans on a plate
roll cheese ball mixture in nuts
chill until ready to serve
spread on crackers

this is a great holiday party appetizer
JJ:cool:

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 09:00
I will try that. Right, I am going to think of some, and put them on here :)

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 09:06
Jodi's company chicken

4 boneless chicken breasts( semi frozen is best to cut in cubes)
1/4 cup real butter
2 bell peppers
1 large onion
2 cans chopped tomatoes/in tomatoe paste
4 large spoons chopped garlic
curry powder
salt and pepper
4 cups cooked rice

in a big sauce pan melt butter and add chicken pieces
cook until chicken is done
add pepper strips
chopped onion
garlic
tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
simmer for 30 min
then the last 5 min add as much curry powder as u like
spoon over cooked rice
ENJOY
Jodi:heart:

Luna
29-08-2005, 09:16
Oh this is a great idea...might teach me how to cook :lol:

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 09:23
Oh this is a great idea...might teach me how to cook :lol:

Luna ... I will be happy to help...just ask :-D JJ

Luna
29-08-2005, 09:25
Luna ... I will be happy to help...just ask :-D JJ

Thanks Jodi. I think i will give these a try and i'll let you know how i get on.

The only thing i can do at the moment is ding dinners :rotfl:

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 09:32
Thanks Jodi. I think i will give these a try and i'll let you know how i get on.

The only thing i can do at the moment is ding dinners :rotfl:

DING DINNERS ???? I presume these are pre prepared meals u NUKE ???:rotfl:

.:SpIcYsPy:.
29-08-2005, 09:33
I can cook stuff like Biscuits, cookies, cakes, types of desserts but ask me something like this and I get kind of stuck :rotfl: Hey I got a long way to go still but I enjoy being in the kitchen when I can :p

Luna
29-08-2005, 09:35
DING DINNERS ???? I presume these are pre prepared meals u NUKE ???:rotfl:

Yup thats it microwave dinners :rotfl:

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 09:38
I can cook stuff like Biscuits, cookies, cakes, types of desserts but ask me something like this and I get kind of stuck :rotfl: Hey I got a long way to go still but I enjoy being in the kitchen when I can :p

OK Spicy post me your favorite cookie recipe,, then a cake,, then some biscuits and a dessert or two ( not all at once LOL ) I am always looking for new recipes to try out,, come on sweetie :D

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 09:39
Yup thats it microwave dinners :rotfl:

Awwwww I get it :lol: try that chicken dinner and see if it works for u..its so easyyyyyyyy to make :p

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 12:06
"Pineapple Upside Down Biscuits"

Preparation Time 25:00

Ingredients:
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple, drained, juice, reserved
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
5 maraschino cherries, cut in half
1 (12oz) can Texas style refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 count)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray 10 cup muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the pineapple, sugar and butter and mix well.
Divide the pineapple mixture into the muffin cups.
Add 1/2 cherry, cut side u p in the center of each muffin cup.
Place one biscuit in each cup on top of sugar and pineapple mixture.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool for about 2 minutes and invert the pan onto a plate to release the biscuits.
Serve warm.
Yields 10 biscuits.

Jade
29-08-2005, 12:18
Scones

Ingredients
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
55g/2oz butter
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk

Method
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream.

Jade
29-08-2005, 12:22
Ingredients
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
560g/1¼ lb beef mince
400g/14oz can tomatoes
290ml/10fl oz beef stock
1 bay leaf
fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
2 tbsp tomato purée
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
parsnips, potato and horseradish mash
750g/1½ lb potatoes, peeled and chopped
225g/8oz parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 tsp creamed horseradish
75g/2½oz butter
55ml/2fl oz milk

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add the minced beef and cook for 3 minutes to brown.
4. Add the tomatoes, purée, beef stock, bay leaf and thyme.
5. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
6. Make the mash: boil the potatoes and parsnips in water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Stir in the horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.

NB - you dont have to use parsnipps for the mash on top, it tasts good without them and you can use whatever vegies you like to put in the main dish

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 15:08
Ingredients
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
560g/1¼ lb beef mince
400g/14oz can tomatoes
290ml/10fl oz beef stock
1 bay leaf
fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
2 tbsp tomato purée
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
parsnips, potato and horseradish mash
750g/1½ lb potatoes, peeled and chopped
225g/8oz parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 tsp creamed horseradish
75g/2½oz butter
55ml/2fl oz milk

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add the minced beef and cook for 3 minutes to brown.
4. Add the tomatoes, purée, beef stock, bay leaf and thyme.
5. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
6. Make the mash: boil the potatoes and parsnips in water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Stir in the horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.

NB - you dont have to use parsnipps for the mash on top, it tasts good without them and you can use whatever vegies you like to put in the main dish

Lordy lordy Jade this sounds yummy,,, gonna send this to my daughter in law she is going to go nuts over this,,, thanks babe...Jodi

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 15:10
Scones

Ingredients
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
55g/2oz butter
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk

Method
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream.

I presume you do not work the dough too much ??? cos some times it makes the finished product "tough" ???? Jodi( who has all the stuff to make a batch of these for tonight )

Jade
29-08-2005, 15:56
I presume you do not work the dough too much ??? cos some times it makes the finished product "tough" ???? Jodi( who has all the stuff to make a batch of these for tonight )

no not too much, if you dont do it enough though they fall apart!

Good luck let me know how it goes!!!

Also Strawberry Jam goes really nice!!! have you tried making your own jam, thats good fun and tasts lovely, totally different from the Jam you buy in shops!!!

Jade
29-08-2005, 15:58
Lordy lordy Jade this sounds yummy,,, gonna send this to my daughter in law she is going to go nuts over this,,, thanks babe...Jodi

Yep cottage pie is lovely!!!! you can also use minced beef or lamb (lamb is called sheppards pie!!) also if you were a vegie you could use Quorn mince. The good thing is you can make it with what ever vegies you like!!

emma_strange
29-08-2005, 20:32
Orange and Carrot Cakes

4 ounces butter
4 ounces self raising flour
4 ounces caster sugar
2 eggs
1 grated carrot
1 orange zest grated

Method
Preheat the oven to 190oc
1. Combine the eggs and sugar
2. Add the eggs and beat until creamy
3. Add the flour
4. Add in the greated carrot and orange zest
5. Divide into fairy cases and cook for 15 mins.

Luna
29-08-2005, 20:37
1 sheep's stomach bag plus the pluck (lights, liver and heart)
1 lb Lean mutton
6 oz Fine oatmeal
8 oz Shredded suet
2 large Onions, chopped

Salt and pepper about 1/4 pint beef stock. Soak the stomach bag in salted water overnight. Place the pluck (lights, liver and heart) in a saucepan with the windpipe hanging over the edge. Cover with water and boil for 1 1/2 hours. Impurities will pass out through the windpipe and it is advisable to place a basin under it to catch any drips. Drain well and cool. Remove the windpipe and any gristle or skin. Mince the liver and heart with the mutton. (Add some of the lights before mincing if you wish.) Toast the oatmeal gently until pale golden brown and crisp. Combine with minced mixture, suet and onion. Season well and add sufficient stock to moisten well. Pack into the stomach bag, filling it just over half-full as the stuffing will swell during cooking. Sew up the bag tightly or secure each end with string. Put an upturned plate in the base of a saucepan of boiling water, stand the haggis on this and bring back to the boil. Prick the haggis all over with a large needle to avoid bursting and boil steadily for 3 to 4 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Just in case you feel the need jodi :D

hayley
29-08-2005, 21:07
1 lb Lean mutton
6 oz Fine oatmeal
8 oz Shredded suet
2 large Onions, chopped

Salt and pepper about 1/4 pint beef stock. Soak the stomach bag in salted water overnight. Place the pluck (lights, liver and heart) in a saucepan with the windpipe hanging over the edge. Cover with water and boil for 1 1/2 hours. Impurities will pass out through the windpipe and it is advisable to place a basin under it to catch any drips. Drain well and cool. Remove the windpipe and any gristle or skin. Mince the liver and heart with the mutton. (Add some of the lights before mincing if you wish.) Toast the oatmeal gently until pale golden brown and crisp. Combine with minced mixture, suet and onion. Season well and add sufficient stock to moisten well. Pack into the stomach bag, filling it just over half-full as the stuffing will swell during cooking. Sew up the bag tightly or secure each end with string. Put an upturned plate in the base of a saucepan of boiling water, stand the haggis on this and bring back to the boil. Prick the haggis all over with a large needle to avoid bursting and boil steadily for 3 to 4 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

i'm not sure i will be trying this, lol! (sorry if i offended you!)

Luna
29-08-2005, 21:07
i'm not sure i will be trying this, lol! (sorry if i offended you!)

Never tried it myself lol

hayley
29-08-2005, 22:23
Never tried it myself lol

i think i'd pass as well if i ate meat! (im a veggie!) lol!

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 23:51
1 lb Lean mutton
6 oz Fine oatmeal
8 oz Shredded suet
2 large Onions, chopped

I think I will pass on this however I am forwarding this recipe to my buddy who loves fixing exotic foods,, Luna thanks for sending it
JJ:love:

Meh
29-08-2005, 23:55
Anyone want a recipe for authentic indian curry? I could get my mum/sister to do one.

Luna
30-08-2005, 20:20
Ingredients:
8oz/250g or two cups of self raising flower (Or "all-purpose" flour with 3 teaspoons baking powder in North America)
1 oz/25g (¼ stick) of butter or margarine.
¼ pint (140ml or half to ¾ cup) sour cream
One beaten egg
Pinch of salt

Method:
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas Mark 6.
Sift the dry ingredients together and then rub in the butter. Pour in the sour cream and then the beaten egg in the centre of the mixture and mix to obtain a soft elastic dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to about ½ inch (1.2cm) thick. Prick over with a fork and cut into small rounds with a cutter about 1½ inches (3.8cm) in diameter. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
Scones are delicious if served warm. Cut in two and spread with butter and/or jam (preserves) to add even more flavour and moisture.

JustJodi
30-08-2005, 23:46
Anyone want a recipe for authentic indian curry? I could get my mum/sister to do one.

Yes please NB . sorry I have been gone all day... so i am just now trying to catch up with my 300+ e mails and posts :rotfl:
Please post any recipe u like :)

JustJodi
30-08-2005, 23:55
ONE VERY LARGE HALF ROUND LOAF OF BREAD( un sliced )
3 small containers cream frache
1 package of dry dressing mix ( Hidden valley RANCH style/or Knorr dry DILL dressing mix)
1 red onion chopped fine
1 large table spoon fresh dill

with a serrated knife cut the middle out of the loaf of bread. put the bread u just cut out in an air tight bag for later
in a bowl put in all the cream frache
dressing mix
onion
dill
mix well
put the mixture in the middle of the bread
sprinkle the top with fresh drill
cover
chill
take the bread out of the bag and tear into bite sized pieces..
U can also cut up some bite sized veggies ( like carrot sticks, cauliflower, broccolli etc) and put it aroound the bread bowl along with the bite sized bread pieces.. use a piece of bread and dip into the mixture and EAT IT yummy
Hope u guys like this cos this is a perfect party recipe.. been in my family for a long time :-D
JJ:cheer:

JustJodi
04-09-2005, 14:50
Taco Pie
1 1/2 lb. hamburger 1c. sour cream
1/4 c. chopped onion shredded lettuce
1 pkg. taco seasoning tomatoes,chopped onion
1/2 c. water taco sauce
1 can crescent rolls black olives
2 c. crushed Doritos/or nacho chips

Brown hamburger and onion and add taco seasoning and water. Place crescent rolls on greased 9x13 inches pan. Sprinkle 1/2 Dorito chips on crust. Put meat mixture over chips layler sour cream, shredded chesse and Doritos on top. Bake at 375 degree for 20 mintutes. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, taco sauce and black olives.:moonie: