PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

Jade
27-08-2005, 21:12
What are your views on it?

find out more here (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp)

Behemoth
27-08-2005, 21:18
Completely agree. I want to be an organ donor when I die, people can take what they need!

alan45
27-08-2005, 21:25
Its one of those things you intend to do but never actually get round to

.:SpIcYsPy:.
27-08-2005, 21:34
I don't like the idea of me missing when I die..

Behemoth
27-08-2005, 21:38
I don't like the idea of me missing when I die.. But you could save a life!

Jade
27-08-2005, 21:40
lives! even

Jojo
27-08-2005, 21:42
I've signed up, I'd rather help someone live than let me go to waste!!

alan45
27-08-2005, 21:42

What good will your organs be when you are six feet under

Jade
27-08-2005, 21:43
or burnt to a crisp!

27-08-2005, 21:44
Mum's done it... I shouted at her.. I was like I don't want my mum dying without some organs.. but then mum as Rob said but your saving someone's like.. I need to think about this when Im older!!

27-08-2005, 21:44
What good will your organs be when you are six feet under
Hmm true...

emma_strange
27-08-2005, 21:45
I agree and since I want to be cremated a few missing organs wont matter

Behemoth
27-08-2005, 21:46
I agree and since I want to be cremated a few missing organs wont matter I want to be cremated as well. I really, really want my organs to be used to save lives when I die.

Jade
27-08-2005, 21:47
I beleive when you die your soul leaves your body anyway.

If they do an autopsy they cut you up and remove things the only difference is they put them back in you and not someone else!

My friend who is 27 and has two kids is waiting for a kidney at the moment she has to go to hospital three times a week there will also come a point where dialysis will not be effective anymore, this could be a long way off but it could also be next week, her youngest child is not even a year old. I would encourage people to at least look into it and form an informed opinion on the subject rather than just disagree without looking into it.

Jojo
27-08-2005, 22:05
I beleive when you die your soul leaves your body anyway.

I agree with this and what use is your body if it has no soul.

xlxstaceyxlx
27-08-2005, 22:12
ive picked agree but done nothing.

i will sign up but one the site it says if your parents agree and im only 14 so ill ask them sometime when we have loads of time and then i can sign up.

i want to because i could save someones life everyone could!

Luna
27-08-2005, 22:47
I have had a donor card since i was first able to get one and have informed my family they can take anything but my eyes (i have a thing about my eyes)

My nephew was really ill when he was younger and i understand how important it is to have donors.

hazey
27-08-2005, 23:15
I too sign up to be a donor in 1982, I also believe that my soul goes,so the last kind thing I can do is help someone else. My hubby is on the list waiting for a transplant,I am not a match for him,other wise I would have given him one of mine.(a live donorship its called)

Behemoth
27-08-2005, 23:25
I'm not as sure about being a live donor. I probably would if it was someone I knew though and I definatley would if it was a family member.

Jade
27-08-2005, 23:29
no i'm not sure about that either, with family though I would do it without hesitation

chance
27-08-2005, 23:49
i have had a card since i was about 13-14 which ive signed and marked what i would and would not be willing to give but ive never actaully registered if thats what you have to do? :searchme:

Jade
27-08-2005, 23:53
i have had a card since i was about 13-14 which ive signed and marked what i would and would not be willing to give but ive never actaully registered if thats what you have to do? :searchme:

doner cards are still valid, also if your next of kin knows what you want to happen they get a say as well

Jessie Wallace
28-08-2005, 00:01
I'm on the list and totally agree with it, but my dad is totally against it, which is hard.

chance
28-08-2005, 00:08
doner cards are still valid, also if your next of kin knows what you want to happen they get a say as well
my other half doesnt agree with it but hey i gotta card!

Tamzi
28-08-2005, 10:14
I'm going to sign up on the list, though my comouter has a problem so I will have to go to the cyber cafe tomorrow. I am specifying they do not take my eyes, I don't like the idea (I know I'm dead, but). I am also going to get a card.
xxx

$sTaCeY$
28-08-2005, 10:55

I don't like the idea of that either

Layne
28-08-2005, 11:18
I totally agree with it! I'm all signed up and my mum and dad know that i want them to be used so if anthing happens then you no!

I agree with what spicy said i don't tlike the idea me missing, but then i thought about the lives you could save and things!

I mean if i ever needed a transplant then i would be using some elses organs, so its kind of like put your selfs in there shoes!!

Rach33
28-08-2005, 11:31
Signed up yonks ago I also give blood regularly I hate the thought of something good going to waste

Meh
28-08-2005, 11:48
The only problem with organ donation is that you don't have a say in whose gets your organ. Imagine your healthy liver goes to someone who has abused theirs from years of drink. Normally, a new liver will extend a persons life by about 20 years+ (but you'll be on drugs for the rest of your life), but its going to be wasted on an alcoholic

Debs
28-08-2005, 11:54
I havent got a card, it is a brilliant idea but i just dont like the idea of me being chopped up when i die. it is the same with being cremated i dont want to burn!!! i know i will not know the difference i just dont like the thought of it.

Jade
28-08-2005, 13:27
I havent got a card, it is a brilliant idea but i just dont like the idea of me being chopped up when i die. it is the same with being cremated i dont want to burn!!! i know i will not know the difference i just dont like the thought of it.

you'll be chopped up if they do an autopsy anyway

Jade
28-08-2005, 13:28
The only problem with organ donation is that you don't have a say in whose gets your organ. Imagine your healthy liver goes to someone who has abused theirs from years of drink. Normally, a new liver will extend a persons life by about 20 years+ (but you'll be on drugs for the rest of your life), but its going to be wasted on an alcoholic

Thats true, look at George Best. I guess its a risk you have too take

Meh
28-08-2005, 13:39
Thats true, look at George Best. I guess its a risk you have too take

I know the surgeon that made the comments about Best not deserving a liver :lol:

Debs
28-08-2005, 13:44
you'll be chopped up if they do an autopsy anyway

true

didnt think of that!

Jade
28-08-2005, 13:46
I know the surgeon that made the comments about Best not deserving a liver :lol:

I cant remember what he actually said

There should be some guidelines

Meh
28-08-2005, 13:54
I cant remember what he actually said

There should be some guidelines

Here's the article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3321153.stm).

Jade
28-08-2005, 14:07
Thats a difficult one, also I dont think i'd be too happy if one of my organs went to a peodphile or a rapist either

Jemma
28-08-2005, 17:21
Never thought about that, but I do think I would want to be an organ doner, just that I've never really got round to doing it or anything. And I kinda think that if you were brought into hospital critically ill the doctors wouldn't try to save you as much as if you weren't going to donate your organs.

Jade
28-08-2005, 17:24
Never thought about that, but I do think I would want to be an organ doner, just that I've never really got round to doing it or anything. And I kinda think that if you were brought into hospital critically ill the doctors wouldn't try to save you as much as if you weren't going to donate your organs.

OMG thats so not true, they only look into it once you've got no hope

Jemma
28-08-2005, 17:27
I suppose so but you'll never really know will you.

di marco
29-08-2005, 06:53
Thats a difficult one, also I dont think i'd be too happy if one of my organs went to a peodphile or a rapist either

thats exactly my mums view. she said she would want her organs to go and help someone but she doesnt see why they should help someone like a rapist or murderer or wife beater etc. she would want them to help someone else other than them but you dont get the choice and youd never know what happened to them

Behemoth
29-08-2005, 07:25
I would be willing to take the risk of my organs going to a murderer etc if there was a chance that a decent person might get them. There are more nice people than there are evil ones after all!

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 08:16
I have carried an organ donor card for 10 yrs,, I figure by the time I go most of my organs will probably be rubbish,, I do hope my corenas are good enough for some one to have their vision restored..
They did have a good program on DO Nation Sat nite when they merged Holby and Casuality .. I think alot of people feel the way Rob does and some people do not want to do it due to religous belief.. or they just do not want to be CUT UP or the family doesn't want the deceased cut up,, the excuses or reasons are endless.. I have told my Dutch hubby about this in advance ..so he is aware of this,, weither or not he honors my wishes is another thing...its a very PERSONAL CHOICE...:)

Luna
29-08-2005, 08:20
I do hope my corenas are good enough for some one to have their vision restored..

Thats one thing i cant or wont be able to do. I have a thing about my eyes. As my sister says, and i agree with her, they can take anything they want apart from my eyes, i want to see where i am going.

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 08:25
Interestingly enuff there is nothing to be donated to restore a deaf persons hearing :(

Layne
29-08-2005, 09:06
Thats one thing i cant or wont be able to do. I have a thing about my eyes. As my sister says, and i agree with her, they can take anything they want apart from my eyes, i want to see where i am going.

its the same with me, they can have any of my organs, but NOT my eyes!!!!

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 14:05
That's strange, as loads of people I have talked to about donating their organs, all agreed to anything but their cornea's, which goes for me too.

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 14:08
That's strange, as loads of people I have talked to about donating their organs, all agreed to anything but their cornea's, which goes for me too.
tANG... you are going to come across alot of this when you become a full fledged Doctor...JJ:)

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 14:09
Yeap, I sure will, and will have to witness many dying due to a lack of organs, including children, which is going to be heart-breaking :(

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 14:12
Yeap, I sure will, and will have to witness many dying due to a lack of organs, including children, which is going to be heart-breaking :(

Yep and to have to put your emotions aside and do your job..:(

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 14:15
Very true! :(

Abi
29-08-2005, 15:27
I completly agree with organ donoring. I have a thing with needles, so havent given blood, and probably never will, so i like the idea that i will be able to help a person and maybe save their life, but in a different way.

I want to be cremated as well, because when my mums best friend died she was buried, and because you have to wait for the ground to settle, she only got a proper gravestone after over a year. I know that its that first year when its hardest, so i would prefer my family and friends to have a proper place to go, rather then a wooden cross. Also, its too expensive to be buried now a days (in my area anyway), so i wouldn't want it to be a burden on my family just to bury me. I dont want my ashes to be scattered though. What we did with my dad is he was cremated, then we buried the ashes. Then we have somewhere to go, but it wasn't really really expensive.

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 15:36
I completly agree with organ donoring. I have a thing with needles, so havent given blood, and probably never will, so i like the idea that i will be able to help a person and maybe save their life, but in a different way.

I want to be cremated as well, because when my mums best friend died she was buried, and because you have to wait for the ground to settle, she only got a proper gravestone after over a year. I know that its that first year when its hardest, so i would prefer my family and friends to have a proper place to go, rather then a wooden cross. Also, its too expensive to be buried now a days (in my area anyway), so i wouldn't want it to be a burden on my family just to bury me. I dont want my ashes to be scattered though. What we did with my dad is he was cremated, then we buried the ashes. Then we have somewhere to go, but it wasn't really really expensive.Abi that is personal choice :) My dad died in Arizona( in the states) we lived in Illinois, so it was cheaper for us to have him cremated than having his body shipped to us.. It is quite common for people in Holland to be cremated, but again that is personal choice,, same goes with organ donors and blood donation as well,, :)

Abi
29-08-2005, 15:39
it's the cost really in my area.There isn't hardly any space in the graveyards anymore. so it costs thosands and thosands to be buried there. I wouldn't want to be buried miles away from my home, and i also wouldn't want the cost to be a burden on my family, so being cremated just seems the best option. As you said, its a personal choice

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 16:01
I have not really thought about whether I want to be buried or cremated?

Jade
29-08-2005, 16:03
I'd go for cremation, dont like the thought of being eaten by maggotts or my body being dug up in 100's of years time.

I like the idea that Abi said about buring ashes or planting a tree somthing along thoes lines

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 16:05
I'd go for cremation, dont like the thought of being eaten by maggotts or my body being dug up in 100's of years time.

:sick: True! Plus, after so many years of being buried, others will be buried on top of you.

Jade
29-08-2005, 16:08
:sick: True! Plus, after so many years of being buried, others will be buried on top of you.

:sick: :sick: yew!. Yep going for cremation. I've never told my family/boyf what I want, I think I will though. Its a difficult thing to have to think about when your 25 but you never know whats around the corner

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 16:10
That's so true! After watching Cas-holb, on saturday, I ended up getting into this conversation with my husband. We are only 26 and 27, but I think these things need discussing.

Jade
29-08-2005, 16:12
That's so true! After watching Cas-holb, on saturday, I ended up getting into this conversation with my husband. We are only 26 and 27, but I think these things need discussing.

Yea think i'm going to have that conversation soon, as I'm not sure what he wants either.

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 16:16
It's hard to bring something like that up, isn't it? The only reason why we got into it, was due to the nature of the programme. I suppose none of us want to think, yet alone talk about dying.

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 16:26
It's hard to bring something like that up, isn't it? The only reason why we got into it, was due to the nature of the programme. I suppose none of us want to think, yet alone talk about dying.

I think the program was to get people talking about it,, people tend to get uncomfortable talking about it,, but its REAL,, and its there,,, and its part of life.. no matter what.. ( dying )

Abi
29-08-2005, 16:28
I think that it would be better if it was assumed that everyone wants to organ donate, then you carry cards if you DONT want to, or you have specific parts of you that you dont want to be taken. I think it would save a lot more lives, and i've heard it works well in other countries

Jade
29-08-2005, 16:29
I think the program was to get people talking about it,, people tend to get uncomfortable talking about it,, but its REAL,, and its there,,, and its part of life.. no matter what.. ( dying )

I've got no problem talking about it, as you said dying is part of life weather you like it or not!

Jade
29-08-2005, 16:30
I think that it would be better if it was assumed that everyone wants to organ donate, then you carry cards if you DONT want to, or you have specific parts of you that you dont want to be taken. I think it would save a lot more lives, and i've heard it works well in other countries

I think thats and excellent idea, as all the people that agree with it but have done nothing will donate and if you feel really strongly about it you will opt out of it.

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 16:38

True, there's one thing in life you can guarentee, death.

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 17:20
I came from a state called Illinois,, when ever you re new your drivers license.. they ask if you want to be an organ donor,, if you say yes,, they have it embossed into your new drivers license on the back,, so if i am a DOA they can find that info on my DL,, here in Holland I have no clue about how they set things up.. what about in the UK ???

Abi
29-08-2005, 17:23
Theres nothing like that here. It would be good though

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 17:24
They ask it here too, when you send off for it. But, I don't think they imboss it on the card though.

JustJodi
29-08-2005, 17:44
They ask it here too, when you send off for it. But, I don't think they imboss it on the card though.

I think it was all set up in the computer then its sort of embossed on the back,, on the front is basically your personal info.and a photo and a hologram of our State seal ( the USA has a state seal for each one :rolleyes: ) Each state in the USA is different,, :cool:

Dr. Tangliss
29-08-2005, 22:04
We don't have that here.

samantha nixon
30-08-2005, 11:47
i agree with the organ donation but as im only 13 i havent really thought muich about it

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:17
Sorry to drag this thread up but the other day when I was filling out my form to send off for my provisional there was a box to sign up for organ donation which I put a cross in it so I could sign up.
Ive been meaning to do it for ages cos I really support this but at the same time, I felt really werid crossing the box, I just dont like to think about when Im dead, so even though I wanted to do it, I felt a little nervous and sick filling it out.
But Im glad I did it
Do I need to carry round a donor card? Im a bit confused about this?

Abigail
05-09-2009, 19:19
No, you'll be added to the national donor database. When your time comes, the database will be accessed to see if you have registered for organ donation and your next of kin asked for final consent.

That may change by the time you die (hopefully you won't die too soon).

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:21

That may change by the time you die (hopefully you won't die too soon).

lol, thanks for that :p

Aww I sorta wanted to carry a card around with me, I like having cards in my purse :p, yeah I know, Im pretty sad

Abigail
05-09-2009, 19:23
You can carry a card with you, it would make things quicker when you die. I can't remember if there is a donor card included in the driving license application.

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:25
No there wasnt but I have a card when I got a leaftlet like a year a go, its just a paper thin card

So its easier if I carry a card as well as being regesterd

Abigail
05-09-2009, 19:27
I suppose if you carry a card it makes it harder for your next of kin to refuse your organs. It's an open and current statement of your wishes, whereas you could register for organ donation, change your mind at a later date but forget to notify the database.

Abbie
05-09-2009, 19:27
Hmm, well I would like to be as helpful as I can, so I think I will carry the card around as well :)