PDA

View Full Version : billy murray quits (again, according to the mirror)

Bad Wolf
24-08-2005, 08:02
24 August 2005
EASTENDERS BILLY BOWS OUT
EastEnders villain to go with a bang as another star quits
By Nicola Methven, Tv Editor

EASTENDERS star Billy Murray is to quit as gangster Johnny Allen, it was revealed last night.

The actor, who made his name as Det Sgt Don Beech in The Bill, will bow out next spring after a year of terrorising the residents of Albert Square.

Announcing his departure, 64-year-old Murray said the decision to leave had been agreed with the show's executive producer Kate Harwood.

He explained: "I sat down recently with the boss and we decided it would be much better for Johnny to go out with a bang than to hang around the Square for years, ageing gracefully."

An EastEnders spokesman commented: "Billy has been a fantastic asset to the show and we wish him all the best for the future."

His exit comes amid a string of high-profile departures from the BBC1 soap.

Jessie Wallace, who plays Kat Moon, will leave in an explosive plot at Christmas alongside screen husband Alfie, played by Shane Richie. They will be followed shortly afterwards by a second Walford couple - Dennis and Sharon. Actors Letitia Dean and Nigel Harman will bow out in a big New Year storyline.

Allen's girlfriend Tina, played by Charlotte Avery, has already been axed and will appear in her final scenes in October.

The raft of farewells gives bosses the chance to build plots around the departing characters to boost viewing figures and, in the longer term, introduce new stars in a bid to overtake Coronation Street in the ratings battle.

Murray arrived in the Square as gangland boss Allen in January.

Viewers learned Allen had lost his wife Stephanie and daughter Scarlet in a fire, but he was soon joined by his other daughter, Ruby.

His first task was to take the Moon brothers, Jake and Danny, under his wing - and then he had to sort out the evil Andy Hunter.

Hated by viewers for blackmailing Kat into sleeping with him and wrecking her marriage, Hunter was pushed to his death from a bridge by Allen.

Johnny later took over the bar known as Angie's Den and renamed it Scarlet after his late daughter.

After Murray's departure, hard man antics in the Square will be left to the Mitchell brothers, who will return in the autumn.

Jojo
24-08-2005, 08:05
So this will probably mean the end of Ruby too then?? Its a shame, they could have done so much more with Johnny's character, though I do think its a bit much, saying that he had spent a year terrorising the residents - yep they were all really scared weren't they.....

Bad Wolf
24-08-2005, 08:09
i hope she moves in with the slaters, her and stacey could cause so much trouble

the_watts_rule
24-08-2005, 08:10
The whole cast is going to be gone by the new year if they keep doing all this axeing

the_watts_rule
24-08-2005, 08:13
I hope Ruby doesnt leave

JustJodi
24-08-2005, 08:52
So this will probably mean the end of Ruby too then?? Its a shame, they could have done so much more with Johnny's character, though I do think its a bit much, saying that he had spent a year terrorising the residents - yep they were all really scared weren't they.....Actually he didnt terrorize them,,, do u remember who he told off first ??? Stacey for littering the side walk ...I really wish they would keep Johnny,,he would keep the Mitchell boys in check ( they are not even going to STAY in Walford are they :searchme: )
Ruby obviously will go where daddy goes can't see Johnny allowing Ruby to hang out with Stacy..Tina may have changed how Johnny views the 2 girls friendship...:p

Jojo
24-08-2005, 09:26
Actually he didnt terrorize them,,, do u remember who he told off first ??? Stacey for littering the side walk ...I really wish they would keep Johnny,,he would keep the Mitchell boys in check ( they are not even going to STAY in Walford are they :searchme: )
Ruby obviously will go where daddy goes can't see Johnny allowing Ruby to hang out with Stacy..Tina may have changed how Johnny views the 2 girls friendship...:p Sorry Jodi, I should have explained - I was being sarcastic!! :D They should have done better writing for him though - his character could have been explored and expanded so much more. Its a shame they didn't keep as the gangster he was supposed to be...

kirsty_g
24-08-2005, 09:31
I hope Ruby doesnt leave

me to

Dutchgirl
24-08-2005, 10:14
I hope they keep Ruby, she defenitely :confused: could stay with the Slaters as Kat is going. She could break away from her father.

kirsty_g
24-08-2005, 10:24
yeah

alan45
24-08-2005, 10:49
The same story is in the Sun today as well

Behemoth
24-08-2005, 10:50
Everyone's leaving! Eastenders producers must be having a right panic.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
24-08-2005, 11:03
I liked him as well... He's like a different type of gangster if anyone knows what I mean.. What's going to happen to Ruby?! I agree Os... they probably are in a panic and Im laughing :angry:

BlackKat
24-08-2005, 11:08
This is now confirmed - here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/news/news_content/news_20050824.shtml)

What the hell are they doing at Elstree? :rolleyes:

kirsty_g
24-08-2005, 11:08
I liked him as well... He's like a different type of gangster if anyone knows what I mean.. What's going to happen to Ruby?! I agree Os... they probably are in a panic and Im laughing :angry:

i like him to

JustJodi
24-08-2005, 11:23
Sorry Jodi, I should have explained - I was being sarcastic!! :D They should have done better writing for him though - his character could have been explored and expanded so much more. Its a shame they didn't keep as the gangster he was supposed to be...

I loved the gangster theme,, like I always said JOHNNY was an old fashioned gangster.. I loved his part.. hes easy on the eye too.. sorta looks like an Italian mobster :moonie: they could have done sooooo much with his character , problem those dingleberries in Elstree are too THICK to think up something COOL for the dwindling cast.:thumbsdow

ema_170
24-08-2005, 12:03
I hope Ruby stays her and stacey will get up to so much trouble. Theres nothing on the eastenders website saying ruby's contract has finishd so it looks like she will be staying

kirsty_g
24-08-2005, 12:41
its on the eastenders website now

ema_170
24-08-2005, 13:01
its on it about jonny allen but there's nothing about ruby

EDIT: TEXT TALK

Layne
24-08-2005, 13:08
Something is going on, and all the stars seem to be saying the same things 'we came to a mutual decision' 'we sat down with the rproducers and talking about it'

'we decided we could take the character no further'
Ok that one is a bit different and sometimes is true, And EE are axing charaters left right and centre, There are also rumours flying round that other members of the cast are leaving too,but at this rate EE will have no one left and will keep losing veiwers and may eventualy be axed!

BlackKat
24-08-2005, 13:12
If they carry on like this they will be axed - not because of the quality or ratings, but because they have no actors left. I know there's quite a few new characters coming in - but what are they going to do if the viewers don't take to them straight away. Yep, axe 'em, and then bring some more in and try again. :rolleyes: Repeat ad nauseam.

salem7717
24-08-2005, 13:14
That picture of jojomum28's baby stages is soooo cute. It's soooo exciting when your pregnant, no matter how many babies you have!! They should keep Ruby because she works sooo well with Stacey

JustJodi
24-08-2005, 13:24
If they carry on like this they will be axed - not because of the quality or ratings, but because they have no actors left. I know there's quite a few new characters coming in - but what are they going to do if the viewers don't take to them straight away. Yep, axe 'em, and then bring some more in and try again. :rolleyes: Repeat ad nauseam.

:wall: after 20 yrs you would think they just MIGHT get it right:rolleyes: fat chance!:wall:

callummc
24-08-2005, 13:56
Well i for one am not suprised,look back through the old posts hes not been happy from the start,only last week i said hed be next and a lot of people said no,i think if he could have got out sooner he would have,its another case of charector assasination in the form of terrible writing,EE must learn that to keep their actors they need decent scripts,at this rate they'l have more bad writers than good actors

Carrie Bradshaw
24-08-2005, 14:15
I think there was so much more that they could have done with Johnny, and he is another character that it feels like they are leaving before they have been given a chance to settle in properly.
I like the idea of Ruby as an honorary Slater though and I wonder who will take over the running of the club? :searchme:

i_luv_dennis
24-08-2005, 14:38
omg every one is leaving

kckinsmcg
24-08-2005, 15:02
Actually he didnt terrorize them,,, do u remember who he told off first ??? Stacey for littering the side walk ...I really wish they would keep Johnny,,he would keep the Mitchell boys in check ( they are not even going to STAY in Walford are they :searchme: )
Ruby obviously will go where daddy goes can't see Johnny allowing Ruby to hang out with Stacy..Tina may have changed how Johnny views the 2 girls friendship...:p

He didn't exactly tell her where he was when she came to the square looking for him. Remember he had sent her to school and was setting up house with Tina when she came into the picture. I have a feeling they will kill him off or send him to prison and that of course would mean Ruby needs somewhere to go. The square is going to be full of empty bedrooms by then, so who knows maybe they will be the new Zoe and Kelly.

callummc
24-08-2005, 15:09
if i was writing the departures i'd get dennis to find out what happened to andy,take johnny to the bridge and push him over,tina would run to help and her and dennis would fall over,one things for sure the departures will probably be linked

Bad Wolf
24-08-2005, 15:10
i think grant comes back, and dennis catches them in a tryst and runs

johnny will get killed some how

chance
24-08-2005, 15:11
who can blame the guy,theyve made him a laughing stock,good to see him getting out whilst he still has some credibility.

kckinsmcg
24-08-2005, 15:13
who can blame the guy,theyve made him a laughing stock,good to see him getting out whilst he still has some credibility.

Absolutely, gangsters do not change to that degree, especially overnight.

Johnny Allen
24-08-2005, 15:34
Absolutely, gangsters do not change to that degree, especially overnight.

Exactly, its a real shame Billy Murray is such a great actor, but they made him a joke. They should have made him the Al Pacino of Albert Square.

Oh and if he is going please could they get rid of Tina and Ruby, the pair of them are dreadful. I know Ruby has alot of fans, but I think she is awful, just watch her act alongside Lacey Turner she is knocked of screen completely. And she's so boring, she doesn't do anything. Get rid of her.

Can I suggest that if they want to add a new villian that they try to make him menancing and don't bring in a family or girlfriend. Thats where it went wrong for the character.

Note to The Bill producers: Now is your chance to bring back good old Don Beech.

P.S. Can anyone tell me if I can change my name?

callummc
24-08-2005, 16:11
he isn't the first charector the've ruined and the way things are going he not gonna be the last

alkalinetrio
24-08-2005, 18:05
phill and grant to kill johny woooooooooo i hope

Angeldelight
24-08-2005, 19:08
this is unbelievable... there not going to have any cast members left at this rate... we've got Sam, Chrissie and Jake leaving in november... Kat, Alfie and Nana in december... Sharon and Dennis in the new year... not to mention Tina's leaving too and now Johnny... what cast will be left safe????

chance
24-08-2005, 21:51
this is unbelievable... there not going to have any cast members left at this rate... we've got Sam, Chrissie and Jake leaving in november... Kat, Alfie and Nana in december... Sharon and Dennis in the new year... not to mention Tina's leaving too and now Johnny... what cast will be left safe????
none hopefully

alan45
24-08-2005, 23:24
Rats and siking ships spring to mind

chance
24-08-2005, 23:26
cant blame em can you?

Angeldelight
25-08-2005, 17:39
i think it's quite funny... i mean all we've got in return are... the Mitchells... ANOTHER Miller... a builder... and Sonia's nurse mate... the ship is sinking very very fast...

kirsty_g
25-08-2005, 18:47
i agree

kayla05
25-08-2005, 22:57
Johnny was supposed to be the hard gangsta but i think he's more of a soft touch, they could of done more with his character!

squarelady
25-08-2005, 23:08
*doesn't want Johnny to go* I hope Ruby stays!

kayla05
25-08-2005, 23:23
Yeah it would be nice to see Ruby stay, maybe her and stacey get a flat together! that would be great, they would be partying every night.

kirsty_g
26-08-2005, 17:21
that would be good

Babe14
27-08-2005, 07:50
I'm sad that Billy Murray is leaving as he is a great actor. The character Johnny is one I like most of the time but hate sometimes. I hope they give Johnny an explosive ending..

kirsty_g
27-08-2005, 08:07
yeah