PDA

View Full Version : For some of the older users on here

xCharliex
23-08-2005, 17:04
I recently got this off a friend, and its all soooo true, lol. Thought this would be a fun read for the more mature members of this board....ENJOY :D

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all.No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound,no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We played football and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock & run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ball. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have bee an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. Congratulations! Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough thought you might like to read about us.
This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face:
The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986........

They are called youth.
They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle. For them, there has always been only one Germany and
one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born.
Michael Jackson has always been white. To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year They can never imagine life before computers. They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five. They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix it or Why Don't You.

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old.

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.
5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6. You remember watching Dirty Den in Eastenders the first time around.
7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the Good Old Days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.
8. Having read this, you are thinking of sending it to some other friends because you think they will like it too... Yes, you're getting old!!

Meh
23-08-2005, 17:58
That is so true, and yes, I am getting old.

Dr. Tangliss
23-08-2005, 17:59
Lol! 1,3,5,6,7,8, all apply to me. Great stuff :)

.:SpIcYsPy:.
23-08-2005, 18:04
None apply of coruse :D

CrazyLea
23-08-2005, 18:06
likewise spicy :p

Dr. Tangliss
23-08-2005, 18:07
How old are you guys?

23-08-2005, 18:08
Me... 13.... I think Leanne 16... You Tangliss?

Dr. Tangliss
23-08-2005, 18:09
26 :)

Dr. Tangliss
Spicyspy, I thought you was older?

So they would say :p Lol thanks :p BTW call me spicy :p

Dr. Tangliss
23-08-2005, 18:10
No probs, hun :)

Meh
23-08-2005, 18:12
We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

I remember when my brother built this huge go-kart. Six wheels, and very fast. We took it to the steepest hill and by the time there were 8 of us. We all piled on and whooosh, down we went. Of course, by the time we got towards the bottom, my brother was desperately trying to brake but the momentum was too much. We all ended up in a wall, one on top of each other. I looked at my leg, and in my knee was this big white gash. Then the blood gushed out.

My brother knew he'd get the belt if my parents found out what really happened, so I lied and said I fell.

Trinity
23-08-2005, 18:15
Whyyy don't you, whyyy don't you whyyy don't you - justswitchoffyourtelevisionsetangodosomethinglessb orininstead!

Space hoppers!
Clackers!

And what do you mean no playstation or PC - I had a bright orange binatone thing that plugged into the TV. It had tennis and football - but noone could really tell the difference! After that came the ZX81, ZXSpectrum and the Atari game console (I have to be honest here, these belonged to my little brother who is 4 years younger than me!)

hazey
23-08-2005, 18:27
Whyyy don't you, whyyy don't you whyyy don't you - justswitchoffyourtelevisionsetangodosomethinglessb orininstead!

Space hoppers!
Clackers!

And what do you mean no playstation or PC - I had a bright orange binatone thing that plugged into the TV. It had tennis and football - but noone could really tell the difference! After that came the ZX81, ZXSpectrum and the Atari game console (I have to be honest here, these belonged to my little brother who is 4 years younger than me!) Oh dear after reading this I am old :rotfl: I still have zxspectrum in the loft alongside atari, we thought they were so great.It dawned on me the other day that I am old when I was telling someone it cost sixpence (2p)to go to saturday morning pictures in 1963 and I got half a crown (12p) a week pocket money,and they said what is half a crown :rotfl:

Trinity
23-08-2005, 18:32
Hazey - did you have pacman and space invaders for your atari? They were so fab, a new innovation.

I didn't really like the ZXspectrum - it was too complicated for me!

Meh
23-08-2005, 18:38
I remember chuckie egg as well. The 80s was my decade. Most of my music collection is from there as well.

My mum still talks in shillings. I can still remember her explaining to my nephew a pound was 240 pence. :lol:

hazey
25-08-2005, 01:19
Hazey - did you have pacman and space invaders for your atari? They were so fab, a new innovation.

I didn't really like the ZXspectrum - it was too complicated for me! I certainly did and spent hour playing it,I tried play pac man on here lost badly ha ha.ZXspectrum was good but took ages to load a game.

hazey
25-08-2005, 01:27
I remember chuckie egg as well. The 80s was my decade. Most of my music collection is from there as well.

My mum still talks in shillings. I can still remember her explaining to my nephew a pound was 240 pence. :lol: Sadly your mum has forgotten her pounds shillings and pence It was 12 pennys to a shilling and 12 shillings to a pound making 144 pence to the pound, I liked the old money going to buy a pair of thighs 1/11 (one shilling and 11 pence) 10p in todays terms, oh sweet memories.

Jojo
25-08-2005, 08:42
The first computer we had was the zx spectrum and then we had a commodore 64, but before that, we had THE tennis game!! I used to walk 3 miles each way to school and know I was safe, went into town on my own on the bus when I was 12 and cycled 8 miles to see to my horse, ride, muck out etc and cycle back when I was 14. No chance would I let my eldest do that now!!!

~Sooz~
25-08-2005, 10:39
Now I feel old - all of those apply to me!

The other day I had to tell 3 kids to play football somewhere else as I'm fed up of their ball bouncing off my windows and flippin eck they were mouthy - if I got told off as a kid I ran a mile, we were actually scared of adults and did as we were told - now I do sound old!!

Loved that though, seen it before but really enjoyed reading it again, it does make me smile.

chance
25-08-2005, 10:46
I recently got this off a friend, and its all soooo true, lol. Thought this would be a fun read for the more mature members of this board....ENJOY :D

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle can and no-one actually died from this.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all.No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound,no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We played football and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock & run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ball. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have bee an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. Congratulations! Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

For those of you who aren't old enough thought you might like to read about us.
This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face:
The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986........

They are called youth.
They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle. For them, there has always been only one Germany and
one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born.
Michael Jackson has always been white. To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year They can never imagine life before computers. They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five. They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix it or Why Don't You.

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old.

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.
5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6. You remember watching Dirty Den in Eastenders the first time around.
7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the Good Old Days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.
8. Having read this, you are thinking of sending it to some other friends because you think they will like it too... Yes, you're getting old!!
i posted this a month or so back. :)

Babe14
25-08-2005, 10:51
Yep this is so true, the good old days. I remember them well..no you can't do this..you must do that etc etc.. I don't think having a crafty fag has been mentioned, hoping that you didn't get caught LOL

Babe14
25-08-2005, 10:53
We didn't need a life guard either when we use to paddle in our paddling pools!

~Sooz~
25-08-2005, 10:57
We used to play "Mother May I" and "What's the time Mr Wolf" (ahh memories) from one side of the road to the other - now I'd freak if any little kids were doing that!

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:04
We used to play "Mother May I" and "What's the time Mr Wolf" (ahh memories) from one side of the road to the other - now I'd freak if any little kids were doing that!

whats thetime mr wolf!! i used to play that all thetime at school. was my fave game!!

we also used to paly skipping games all the time.

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:14
I loved that. Also elastic, please Mr Crocodile and hide and seek in the woods..sandpits in your garden..

At times you'd get a real wallop from the skipping rope, ouch.

In the gym you used to hang upside down from ropes and climbing frames, trampolene, that hurt too when you missed and ended up going down the sides.

Another one of my favs was handstands, you all used to stand in a group with someone at the front I forgot what we used to say, but if you stayed up the longest then you took the lead. It was good fun trying to keep your balance and not go over, there were cartwheels as well..ah...

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:20

Another one of my favs was handstands, you all used to stand in a group with someone at the front I forgot what we used to say, but if you stayed up the longest then you took the lead. It was good fun trying to keep your balance and not go over, there were cartwheels as well..ah...

yep handstands youd spend most of the day upside down and all the boys in your class would laugh beacuse they could see your knickers!!!! :rotfl:

cartwheels never got the hang of them!!

Jojo
25-08-2005, 11:21
And if you saw a police officer - you were scared and wouldn't say a word - these days, see a police officer and the kids automatically taunt them!

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:23
And if you saw a police officer - you were scared and wouldn't say a word - these days, see a police officer and the kids automatically taunt them!

round here they have no fear of the police. they swear and shout at them. its disgusting

Jojo
25-08-2005, 11:26
I'm still scared of the police now and I've got one for a brother in law. Immediately I feel guilty, but the younger ones now don't seem to be bothered at all - where's the respect gone (and now I really DO sound old!!! LOL)

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:26
and the police can't even defend themselves without losing their jobs or being in danger of.

~Sooz~
25-08-2005, 11:27
I'm still scared of the police now and I've got one for a brother in law. Immediately I feel guilty, but the younger ones now don't seem to be bothered at all - where's the respect gone (and now I really DO sound old!!! LOL)

lol I know what you mean, I'm the same.

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:29

we had one at our door last year and i immediatly thought **** what have i done?? what has dave done???

heart was pumping and felt really guilty!!!

thye had recieved a call saying there was a fire but they didnt know if it was our road or the same one in southampton!! they just wanted to check everything was ok!!

me and my hubbie dont do anything bad so i dont even know why i was felling guilty!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:29
yep handstands youd spend most of the day upside down and all the boys in your class would laugh beacuse they could see your knickers!!!! :rotfl:

cartwheels never got the hang of them!!

:rotfl: Yes! (some things never change LOL) and at times you'd fall out of your top too giving everyone an eyeful..all innocent fun in those days. What about kiss chase, I remember being chased round a block of flats and was so knackered I just sat on the nearest wall, I thinkhe was too as he bottled out LOL!

Re: Cartwheel neither could I, oneof my legs always stayed bent:rotfl:

~Sooz~
25-08-2005, 11:30
and the police can't even defend themselves without losing their jobs or being in danger of.

Its like with teachers - I remember one teacher at my school using the belt on kids hands, it wouldn't be allowed now (although I dont condone it, he was a swine). Even kids being mouthy with teachers nowadays, I was talkig with someone who is a janitor at a school and he told them to get off a certain area and they just stood there swearing at him and saying "what you gonna do about it" - in our day we would have shifted ourselves when told - they can't do anything, they so much as touch them the kids are threatening them with all sorts, some of the stories I've heard are crazy.

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:31

if i was a policewoman id hit them over the head with my truncheon!!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:32

Same here, I just have to see one and I feel guilty about nothing!! I'm the same with any offical in uniform, especially at the airports etc..

~Sooz~
25-08-2005, 11:32
:rotfl: Yes! (some things never change LOL) and at times you'd fall out of your top too giving everyone an eyeful..all innocent fun in those days. What about kiss chase, I remember being chased round a block of flats and was so knackered I just sat on the nearest wall, I thinkhe was too as he bottled out LOL!

I could do the cartwheel, I remember learning how to do them in the park with my mate, used to love doing them. Kiss chase, we used to call it kiss, cuddle or torture, depending on who caught you torture was the best option! lol

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:33
if i was a policewoman id hit them over the head with my truncheon!!!

LOL! I know where I'd hit the pervs..I guess we'd both en dup getting kicked out on our first day without passing the probationary period LOL

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:34

kiss chase!! yeah fab game. i used to let myself get caught!!!!

damien and nathan were the only 2 boys in our class who used to play it!!! LOL all the girls used to!!

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:35
LOL! I know where I'd hit the pervs..I guess we'd both en dup getting kicked out on our first day without passing the probationary period LOL

:rotfl: yeah we would!! the pervs?? i wouldnt just be hitting them!!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:37
Its like with teachers - I remember one teacher at my school using the belt on kids hands, it wouldn't be allowed now (although I dont condone it, he was a swine). Even kids being mouthy with teachers nowadays, I was talkig with someone who is a janitor at a school and he told them to get off a certain area and they just stood there swearing at him and saying "what you gonna do about it" - in our day we would have shifted ourselves when told - they can't do anything, they so much as touch them the kids are threatening them with all sorts, some of the stories I've heard are crazy.

Exactly. We used to get hit and called "Morons" by the teachers. A good slap is what is needed these days. Instead of the teachers doing the hitting these days it is the kids who are hitting the teachers. God what an awful world we live in.
We used to be terrified of most of our teachers especially one. If we tore pages out of our books and had to get a new one, we used to fold it over hoping that it wouldn't be noticed, didn't always work...

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:38
I could do the cartwheel, I remember learning how to do them in the park with my mate, used to love doing them. Kiss chase, we used to call it kiss, cuddle or torture, depending on who caught you torture was the best option! lol

LOL

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:39
:rotfl: yeah we would!! the pervs?? i wouldnt just be hitting them!!!

Strong itching powder with hands and feet tied..something needs to be done about them.

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:41
Strong itching powder with hands and feet tied..something needs to be done about them.

yep cerytainkly does!! itching powder! love it!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:43
Remember the compass we used to have. I loved drawing lots of pretty things with them, trouble is they used to leave holes everywhere!!

Are they allowed now???

Jojo
25-08-2005, 11:45
Yes though I am surprised that they haven't been stopped because of possible use as a weapon.

But even as parents we can't chastise our children to that extent, otherwise they divorce us or we can get accused of abuse etc - it really annoys me. Especially when Health Visitors etc say that you should just talk nicely to them and tell them that they have done wrong - WHAT!!!? No wonder they don't care about anything. I remember my mum chasing me upstairs with a schooling whip!!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:45
yep cerytainkly does!! itching powder! love it!!

A regular dose say every hour or so. I think that might sort some of them out. Mind you they're so sick in the head they'd prob get a thrill from it all..

Bring back capital punishment!

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:46
Remember the compass we used to have. I loved drawing lots of pretty things with them, trouble is they used to leave holes everywhere!!

Are they allowed now???

i used to draw loads of lowers with them!! flowers everywhere.

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:48
Yes though I am surprised that they haven't been stopped because of possible use as a weapon.

But even as parents we can't chastise our children to that extent, otherwise they divorce us or we can get accused of abuse etc - it really annoys me.

And me, I'm not a parent but I get so annoyed with how your not allowed to smack your children. I was always getting a slap and it hasn't done me any harm, it's taught me right from wrong and respect.

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:48
A regular dose say every hour or so. I think that might sort some of them out. Mind you they're so sick in the head they'd prob get a thrill from it all..

Bring back capital punishment!

oh yeah they probably would!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:50
i used to draw loads of lowers with them!! flowers everywhere.

They were great fun to do. I used to draw a crcle and then a flower or lots in the middle then colour them all pretty colours..um now what did I do with that compass LOL

I may be getting on but I'm just a big kid at heart and always will be:)

I used to like drawing what they called a french eight with a ruler, lots of lines.

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:50
And me, I'm not a parent but I get so annoyed with how your not allowed to smack your children. I was always getting a slap and it hasn't done me any harm, it's taught me right from wrong and respect.

i always got slapped by my mum and no it didnt do me any harm

i dont smack connor as i just dont think it is always necessary

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:52
They were great fun to do. I used to draw a crcle and then a flower or lots in the middle then colour them all pretty colours..um now what did I do with that compass LOL

I may be getting on but I'm just a big kid at heart and always will be:)

I used to like drawing what they called a french eight with a ruler, lots of lines.

LOL my hubbie got one in the draw if im bored later i might dig it out!! think i can remeber how to do them

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:53
:)

what is a french eight????

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:54
i always got slapped by my mum and no it didnt do me any harm

i dont smack connor as i just dont think it is always necessary

I agree, but you should be allowed to decide as parents what is right for the upbringing of your children not told what to do by the government etc.

I didn't get slapped everytime I was naughty or cheeky, just when I went OTT. Most of the time a good telling off did the trick or being sent up to my room

Debs
25-08-2005, 11:55
I agree, but you should be allowed to decide as parents what is right for the upbringing of your children not told what to do by the government etc.

I didn't get slapped everytime I was naughty or cheeky, just when I went OTT. Most of the time a good telling off did the trick or being sent up to my room

of course we should they our our kids but i suppose some parents dont just do light smacks!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:56
what is a french eight????

From what I can remember you used a ruler and drew a figure eight. It was sort of square in appearance and it was made up of lots of lines..

Babe14
25-08-2005, 11:57
LOL my hubbie got one in the draw if im bored later i might dig it out!! think i can remeber how to do them

LOL. You could always draw them on the PC!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 12:00
of course we should they our our kids but i suppose some parents dont just do light smacks!!

True, but those kind of parents have always been around. I suppose due to the fact that most of them were abused as kids it's just been passed on down the line. Plus these days there is added stress and of course drugs. I just think that things are getting ridiculous and at the end of the day you should be allowed to do what you feel is right and if a child is being excessively hit, then it is those parents who need watching.

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:02
True, but those kind of parents have always been around. I suppose due to the fact that most of them were abused as kids it's just been passed on down the line. Plus these days there is added stress and of course drugs. I just think that things are getting ridiculous and at the end of the day you should be allowed to do what you feel is right and if a child is being excessively hit, then it is those parents who need watching.

everything is getting ridiculous though. you cant take photos at your kids nativitys you cant take photos of sports day!!

i have to sign a consent form to allow my little boys teacher to put sun cream on him at school.

even taking innocent pictures of connor in the bath or nudey is frowned upon!!

My parents had loads of me and my brother in the bath and nudey when we were little.

Jojo
25-08-2005, 12:14
I know someone who had a knock on the door from the police and social because they had put their photos in to Boots to be developed and there were some of their children naked in there - they had to prove they weren't abusing them etc.

The worst thing aswell, is when my boys get loads of bruises from football, climbing etc, but a teacher is obliged to ask them where they got them from and will keep on until they are completely satisfied it wasn't me - :angry:

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:19
I know someone who had a knock on the door from the police and social because they had put their photos in to Boots to be developed and there were some of their children naked in there - they had to prove they weren't abusing them etc.

The worst thing aswell, is when my boys get loads of bruises from football, climbing etc, but a teacher is obliged to ask them where they got them from and will keep on until they are completely satisfied it wasn't me - :angry:

yeah we have to sign a book at pre school if they notice any marks or bruising. mine had a scratch on his nose and i had to log it!!

they look at you as if you guilty!!

horrible when you cant even take pics of your kids without feeling guilty

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:20

i had a friend whose little boy was realy accident prone he was alwways falling over, he was only 13 months and had only just learnt to walk. he had a massive lump on his head one day and she got reported to social services. she had them on her back for years!! she had done nothing.

Jojo
25-08-2005, 12:22
Its awful - its hard enough being a parent, without everyone assuming the worst all the time - there are permission slips for this, log books for that, notes home about anything else

I have loads of pics of my eldest, but not my youngest in case of any accusations - its like I bath them together (save water and they love splashing) but that could be construed as wrong (age gap, anatomy etc) It makes me so mad!!

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:23
Its awful - its hard enough being a parent, without everyone assuming the worst all the time - there are permission slips for this, log books for that, notes home about anything else

I have loads of pics of my eldest, but not my youngest in case of any accusations - its like I bath them together (save water and they love splashing) but that could be construed as wrong (age gap, anatomy etc) It makes me so mad!!

connor loves going in the bath with daddy and i even question that sometimes!!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 12:24
That's so awful! I remember I had a nasty graze onbmy chin, got it from the rug whilst I was doing handstands, I slipped and ending up getting rug burn.

I vaguely remember the teacher looking at me oddly and asking how I got it. When I told them I think they were instantly satisfied.. Another time I had a broken arm after falling of a climbing frame at a pub, again I don't think any questions were asked. How times have changed..

Babe14
25-08-2005, 12:25
connor loves going in the bath with daddy and i even question that sometimes!!!

It's such a shame kids just can't enjoy the closeness that we had in our days or even allowed to be kids these days..

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:26
It's such a shame kids just can't enjoy the closeness that we had in our days or even allowed to be kids these days..

i know it is very very sad.

Jojo
25-08-2005, 12:26
connor loves going in the bath with daddy and i even question that sometimes!!!Ci does too. The thing that grates is the fact that children who need watching etc by social aren't and suffer awful abuse etc, but us loving parents are watched like hawks and when something happens are jumped on straight away. The good old system again!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 12:27
I'm like a magnet with children they instantly make a bee line for me, but I feel guilty talking to them or even smiling at them.

Babe14
25-08-2005, 12:28
Ci does too. The thing that grates is the fact that children who need watching etc by social aren't and suffer awful abuse etc, but us loving parents are watched like hawks and when something happens are jumped on straight away. The good old system again!!

Let's the innocent down all the time and praises the guilty.

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:28
Ci does too. The thing that grates is the fact that children who need watching etc by social aren't and suffer awful abuse etc, but us loving parents are watched like hawks and when something happens are jumped on straight away. The good old system again!!

yep good old system dont you just love it!!!

Debs
25-08-2005, 12:30
I'm like a magnet with children they instantly make a bee line for me, but I feel guilty talking to them or even smiling at them.

i worked in a nursery before having connor and the kids would want cuddles and you just werent allowed, theyd fall over and you cuouldnt comfort them.

the worst one was the male workers couldntr have a child on their laps which was a real problem in the baby room!!

Babe14
25-08-2005, 12:35
i worked in a nursery before having connor and the kids would want cuddles and you just werent allowed, theyd fall over and you cuouldnt comfort them.

the worst one was the male workers couldntr have a child on their laps which was a real problem in the baby room!!

I bet. It is just so sad.

Trinity
25-08-2005, 12:44
Sadly your mum has forgotten her pounds shillings and pence It was 12 pennys to a shilling and 12 shillings to a pound making 144 pence to the pound, I liked the old money going to buy a pair of thighs 1/11 (one shilling and 11 pence) 10p in todays terms, oh sweet memories.

I thought that there were 20 shillings in a pound?

Jojo
25-08-2005, 12:47
I thought that - I thought 5p was the equivalent of 1 shilling. I know they changed it completely when they went from imperial to metric though (or whichever way round it goes!!)

Trinity
25-08-2005, 12:49
I thought that - I thought 5p was the equivalent of 1 shilling. I know they changed it completely when they went from imperial to metric though (or whichever way round it goes!!)

It was 12 pence to a shilling
20 shillings to a pound

.: 240 pence to a pound.

BTW, I don't actually remember this very well, I checked.

Jojo
25-08-2005, 12:55
Just remember seeing the old 5p's and it used to say 1 shilling on it. Mind you, decimalisation happened a couple of years before I was born I think, so I can't remember either lol!!

hazey
25-08-2005, 13:55
I thought that there were 20 shillings in a pound? oh I am going mad ofcourse there was sorry for my mind lapse.we went decimal on the 15th february 1971 a few days before my 17th Birthday. so mind going with age :rotfl: