PDA

View Full Version : Tahil wins right to stay in uk!

i_love_matt!
10-04-2005, 17:02
Former EastEnders actor Dalip Tahil has won his fight with the Government to be allowed to remain in Britain after 14 months of legal wrangling.

Tahil came to the public's attention when he joined EastEnders in 2003, playing tyrannical Elvis fan Dan Ferreira.

A well-known star in India, the actor originally came to Britain to appear in West End musical Bombay Dreams.

However, he was spotted by BBC producers, who cast him as the head of a new Asian family in EastEnders - the ill-fated Ferreiras.

Shortly after his debut, doubts were raised about the status of his work permit and British Asian actors were said to be unhappy that a homegrown thespian was not cast in the role. Actors' union Equity also raised objections.

As a result, Tahil was dropped from the show and his character hastily and unconvincingly written out.

Determined to fight the ruling, he launched an appeal against the Home Office, claiming they were making an unfair example of him because of his public profile.

'I'm not a criminal, I'm just a jobbing actor who, due to bad advice from my previous solicitors, has been put in this position,' claimed the actor.

Now he has received an apology from Immigration Minister Des Browne for the poor handling of the case. :rotfl:

Although he plans to remain working in the UK, the chances of his returning to EastEnders are slim, with his on-screen family having left the show :)
source- walford web