PDA

View Full Version : ee and emmerdale ratings war

chance
04-08-2005, 09:49
Tuesday August 3
Emmerdale - 7.7 million (47%)
EastEnders - 7.9 million (43%)

Emmerdale last night scored its fourth straight audience share victory against EastEnders, with the Yorkshire-set ITV1 soap attracting 47% of the available TV audience.
The soap has now had a bigger audience share than its BBC1 rival on six of the last seven nights when the two shows have both been on air.
And Emmerdale has also closed the ratings gap on EastEnders in terms of viewers in the past few days, with its average audience just 200,000 behind the BBC1 soap since Thursday.

THE LAST 4 NIGHTS WHEN BOTH HAVE AIRED
Thursday 28th, Friday 29th, Monday 2nd, Tuesday 3rd
Emmerdale average - 7.9 million (45%)
EastEnders average - 8.1 million (42%)

THE LAST 7 NIGHTS WHEN BOTH HAVE AIRED
Friday 22nd, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th,
Emmerdale average - 7.7 million (44%)
EastEnders average - 8.2 million (42%)

EastEnders executives will be hoping the past few days is just a summer blip, or a boost in Emmerdale's ratings because of the storyline about an arson attack on Andy Sugden's barn, rather than signalling a more significant shift.

Abi
04-08-2005, 09:56
Its all very close...

How oculd it be a summer blip? Its been pouring with rain for most of the past week! Somehow i doubt that the whole ofthe British public would be out in the RAIN, especially if they are devote fans. Plus, surely a summer blip would affect ALL soaps, not just Eastenders?

chance
04-08-2005, 10:05
very true good point,never thought of it like that!

Abi
04-08-2005, 10:14
Its just a really bad excuse for them to use, it really really really annoys me!

Chris_2k11
04-08-2005, 10:17
I agree actually. Im not a big Emmerdale fan, but they should just admit that they are doing badly, instead of just making up silly excuses :nono:

Abi
04-08-2005, 10:20
Precisly Birks

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:14
Its all very close...

How oculd it be a summer blip? Its been pouring with rain for most of the past week! Somehow i doubt that the whole ofthe British public would be out in the RAIN, especially if they are devote fans. Plus, surely a summer blip would affect ALL soaps, not just Eastenders?
I don't know where you're living but just because it's been raining for you it doesn't mean it's been raining everywhere else. We've got a spot of rain today but it's the first time since we had drizzle a few days ago!

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:15
Its just a really bad excuse for them to use, it really really really annoys me!
The weather is an excellent excuse actually because it's pretty consistent across the board that the ratings have dropped for everything since the start of summer 2005 are you trying to say weather doesn't affect ratings?

Bad Wolf
04-08-2005, 12:16
i'm confused??? 7.9 is a larger share than 7.7??? ee slightly win???

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:16
I agree actually. Im not a big Emmerdale fan, but they should just admit that they are doing badly, instead of just making up silly excuses :nono:
But the point is they're not doing badly in terms of actual audience they're still ahead as I've explained before the audience share doesn't mean anything and most people here don't seem to understand it anyways.

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:17
i'm confused??? 7.9 is a larger share than 7.7??? ee slightly win???
Yes 'EastEnders' have won Rach but they're mentioning the percentage (audience share) and 'Emmerdale' have an higher one. Basically this is just the amount (in percentage) of the available audience they managed to attract, it's hardly the bigger picture is it? In the big scheme of things it doesn't really mean anything atall.

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:19
Tuesday August 3
Emmerdale - 7.7 million (47%)
EastEnders - 7.9 million (43%)

Emmerdale last night scored its fourth straight audience share victory against EastEnders, with the Yorkshire-set ITV1 soap attracting 47% of the available TV audience.
The soap has now had a bigger audience share than its BBC1 rival on six of the last seven nights when the two shows have both been on air.
And Emmerdale has also closed the ratings gap on EastEnders in terms of viewers in the past few days, with its average audience just 200,000 behind the BBC1 soap since Thursday.

THE LAST 4 NIGHTS WHEN BOTH HAVE AIRED
Emmerdale average - 7.9 million (45%)
EastEnders average - 8.1 million (42%)

THE LAST 7 NIGHTS WHEN BOTH HAVE AIRED
Friday 22nd, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th,
Emmerdale average - 7.7 million (44%)
EastEnders average - 8.2 million (42%)

EastEnders executives will be hoping the past few days is just a summer blip, or a boost in Emmerdale's ratings because of the storyline about an arson attack on Andy Sugden's barn, rather than signalling a more significant shift.
You forgot to add this bit:

For the year to July 17

Emmerdale average - 9 million and 44%
EastEnders average - 10.5 million and 47%

Bad Wolf
04-08-2005, 12:20
still condused, higher number of viewers means a bigger percentage?????

anyhoo, i've gone off emmerdale, dunno why just not watching at the mo, i'm back in to ee!!

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:23
still condused, higher number of viewers means a bigger percentage?????

anyhoo, i've gone off emmerdale, dunno why just not watching at the mo, i'm back in to ee!!
No the two are not related the actual number of viewers (measured in millions usually) are how many watched the show and the audience share (measured in percentage) is the percentage of audience the show managed to attract from the overall number of viewers watching television at that time.

Bad Wolf
04-08-2005, 12:25
ahhh, cheers wq!!

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:28
IMHO the actual number of viewers a show gets is more important.

Bad Wolf
04-08-2005, 12:35
thought so, it just doesnt make much sense if a higher number, doesnt equal a higher percentage????? never mind i was always rubbiah at maths

Treacle
04-08-2005, 12:46
thought so, it just doesnt make much sense if a higher number, doesnt equal a higher percentage????? never mind i was always rubbiah at maths
That's because they're two seperate things. Say 20 million people (and that's an just an example) were watching television at 7pm and 'Emmerdale' got 9 million viewers then they would give the percentage score of the share of viewers it managed to attract and say 'EastEnders' managed to attract 9 million viewers as well the audience share could be higher or lower depending on how much that 20 million people watching television overall has changed.

Abi
04-08-2005, 14:00
The weather is an excellent excuse actually because it's pretty consistent across the board that the ratings have dropped for everything since the start of summer 2005 are you trying to say weather doesn't affect ratings?

but why is it that only Eastenders are using it as an excuse? Them ratings are quite low for Emmerdale too, but they aren't using the blooming weather as the excuse!

Abi
04-08-2005, 14:04
I don't know where you're living but just because it's been raining for you it doesn't mean it's been raining everywhere else. We've got a spot of rain today but it's the first time since we had drizzle a few days ago!

Most of the country has been in rain over the past week, and if they haven't it hasn't exactly been a heatwave. Surely if the soap was that good and the episode was that exciting, then people would look at it despite the weather, anyway?

Treacle
04-08-2005, 17:50
but why is it that only Eastenders are using it as an excuse? Them ratings are quite low for Emmerdale too, but they aren't using the blooming weather as the excuse!
Them ratings are fairly decent for 'Emmerdale' actually and not what I'd consider to be low. When they get 8 million that's considered the average even when it isn't summer.

Treacle
04-08-2005, 17:52
Most of the country has been in rain over the past week, and if they haven't it hasn't exactly been a heatwave. Surely if the soap was that good and the episode was that exciting, then people would look at it despite the weather, anyway?
If people can't stand the heat indoors they won't stay in just for a TV programme. I would though because I'm an addict but I'm not the general consensus of people.

Treacle
04-08-2005, 17:52
I've heard other people speaking about their progrmames saying the weather has affected their ratings :)

Bad Wolf
04-08-2005, 17:54
i know i would rather be in a beer garden if the weathers good! but thats just me, generally in summer more people spend time out doors, but then you get reports that we are spending more cash in supermarkets on beer than pubs, suggesting we are sitting in???????

Treacle
05-08-2005, 01:18
i know i would rather be in a beer garden if the weathers good! but thats just me, generally in summer more people spend time out doors, but then you get reports that we are spending more cash in supermarkets on beer than pubs, suggesting we are sitting in???????
I might go out but I'll never miss EastEnders I'll always come indoors for it. I couldn't sit out in the garden knowing that it was on and I wasn't watching it :)