PDA

View Full Version : How did Keith know?

Behemoth
04-04-2005, 20:32
How did Keith know that the book Darren got him was to teach him how to read and that it was for 6 year olds if he can't read??

Major Mistake!

Jade
04-04-2005, 20:33
He should be able to read numbers, what with all the telly he watches or at least 1-5!

Behemoth
04-04-2005, 20:34
But even if that's true, he still shouldn't have known what the book was for.

Jade
04-04-2005, 20:36
No very true, i'm sure i've spotted hime with a tv guide before as well although I could be imagening things

*JSW*
04-04-2005, 20:40
The book was all very colourful and child like. I bet keith has undoubtedly been able to recognice colours and themes and the odd number. He watches TV enough....

Torrie
04-04-2005, 20:40
Just because he can't read, it doesn't mean he can't recognise certain things - I mean, he obviously knows how to sign his name for example and it was fairly obvious from the cover with the big "ABC" on the front and from the layout inside it was obviously some kind of exercise book with spaces for answers. He'd also be able to recognise numbers. People who can't read can become very adept at covering up, learning to recognise certain words, etc. without really reading them if you know what I mean.

chamone256
04-04-2005, 20:42
he saw a bill which was the color red.

Jade
04-04-2005, 20:42
Yea that is very true, although when he put pen to paper in the job centre he really couldnt write a word, also I guess Rosie has been covering up for him for a while. Also I guess he can tell the time.

I thought it was good how tonight they showed him beating Gus and Ian at chess therefore showing that just because he cant read that he can still be clever.

parkerman
05-04-2005, 09:01
Well, that's the tragedy of Keith isn't it? He is very intelligent (when he wants to be!). He won the chess game and picked up the job Sam asked him to do very quickly. And that's the whole point isn't it? He just never had the opportunity when he was young to learn at school. If he had, he probably wouldn't be the layabout he is now.

What is interesting is Darren's take on all this. He is always trying to skive off school himself. Perhaps it will help him see the importance of going to school and getting a proper education.

jakki
06-04-2005, 05:24
How did Keith know that the book Darren got him was to teach him how to read and that it was for 6 year olds if he can't read??

Major Mistake!

:cheer: yay someone else picked up on it!!! i was thinking exactly the same when it was on earlier! ha ha! :)

Siobhan
06-04-2005, 09:12
Well, that's the tragedy of Keith isn't it? He is very intelligent (when he wants to be!). He won the chess game and picked up the job Sam asked him to do very quickly. And that's the whole point isn't it? He just never had the opportunity when he was young to learn at school. If he had, he probably wouldn't be the layabout he is now.

What is interesting is Darren's take on all this. He is always trying to skive off school himself. Perhaps it will help him see the importance of going to school and getting a proper education.

you would be amazed how intelligent people who can't read or write are.. they learn from watching so they pick things up quickly and they are generally good with there hands... My dad use to teach adults to read and write and he said that at times he felt like the stupid one around them

parkerman
06-04-2005, 10:17
I'm not amazed at all, Siobhan, I know what you are saying is absolutley true.

Although not quite the same thing, my own father left school at 14 because his family needed him out at work to bring money in to the family (there were 8 children to feed) so he never had much of an education but he was very clever (I'm not just saying that because he was my father!). Because of his lack of education and paper qualifications he worked all his life in manual labour. In his later years he wrote his autobiography, it was witty, funny, full of insight. He then took to writing articles for various magazines, which were always accepted and for which he was paid. If only he'd been able to stay on at school....

Siobhan
06-04-2005, 10:31
Well done to your dad.. I knew a guy who learnt to read and write in a betting office, writing bets.. he wrote a book too in the end about how he felt he should have stayed at school

crazygirl
06-04-2005, 10:58
well he was using polish the other day when he was cleaning the vic so he knew it said polish on the front of the can and not fly spray!!!!

RealityGap
06-04-2005, 11:13

Major Mistake!

My bet is since it looked like a childrens reading book, and there is no one of the age group in the house that the book would have been aimed at he put 2 and 2 together!

and for things like using polish instead of fly spray - that is simply product recognition, my 2 year old can tell which supermarket I have been to by looking at the bag as he sees the branding.

I really like this story line as it is showing that you don't have to be stupid to be unable to read/write. It also shows what tricks that people can use, like recognition.

Babe14
06-04-2005, 11:34
Me too. I am really enjoying the Miller storyline. Have to admit couldn't stick Mickey when he first appeared but he grew on me and I felt the same away about his family when they landed, but now I really like them.

Yes Keith is very clever and I think that this plus his ability to pick things up quickly will eventually put him on the fast track to success.

Siobhan
06-04-2005, 13:48
!

and for things like using polish instead of fly spray - that is simply product recognition, my 2 year old can tell which supermarket I have been to by looking at the bag as he sees the branding.

Agree with you on this.. One of the teams in Ireland have Avonmore (Dairy group here) as sponsor and at the age of 2 she called them the milkmen team... she recognised the brand