PDA

View Full Version : Bill Murray to Quit

Luna
03-08-2005, 08:29
EastEnders star Billy Murray, who plays tough guy Johnny Allen, is set to quit the Albert Square soap because he fears his character is going soft.

Murray only joined the soap last January, but insiders claim he is set to leave early next year by mutual consent.

A source told femalefirst.com that Murray is unhappy about his character's direction after Dot Cotton convinced Johnny to give up his gangster lifestyle.

The source said: "Billy didn't think the role was living up to what he'd been promised. Johnny was supposed to be this big-shot scary gangster - but here he was having a heart-to-heart with busybody Dot.

"He was becoming a wimp - it just didn't ring true.

"He was hoping to make much more impact on EastEnders, but found himself caught up in a change of direction."

From Virgin.net

Treacle
03-08-2005, 08:49
I thought it was Tina that turned him soft? And they've already denied reports about him leaving once before, by all accounts he's very happy where he is although how true that is I don't know.

Luna
03-08-2005, 08:51
Yeah i was thinking that too. But i think Dot kind of made the last push for him.

I dont really see the point to him now that he's turned into a good little boy

Treacle
03-08-2005, 08:55
Oh I agree I used to love Johnny but can't really be bothered with him now. The Square is going to be overrun with Dennis & Phil etc although Johnny is more of a gangster type I still don't think he should stick around. We just don't need them in the programme it's such a shame though because Billy Murray is a respected actor in the industry. I'm sure he's had a fab time though and met some fab people because the cast are all great and the morale on set has remained really high which is nice.

Luna
03-08-2005, 08:56
Unless something happens that make him go bad again. I hope he does go not just for the show but for himself. He is a great actor and does not need to be stuck in a dead end role

chance
03-08-2005, 09:00
they ruined his character.He was great when he first came to the square then all of a sudden they changed him in to a right wimp,so unbelievable.they should let him go back to being the gangster,then he could interact with phil and grant etc when they return.at the moment though hes just laughable which is shame as he is such a good actor.

Luna
03-08-2005, 09:02
I agree they could really turn his character around if he gotr involved with grant and phill

Treacle
03-08-2005, 09:05
The Tina storyline did not help him but the gangster theme did not help 'EastEnders' which is the bigger picture. The producers have to do what's best for the show and if he is going then I think it's for the best because they don't want gangsters anymore and if they let him have any gangster storylines just to keep him then eventually the gangster theme would destroy the whole show.

Luna
03-08-2005, 09:07
Eastender has always had a kinda of gangster theme, it think it will be kind of weird without any storylines like that in it

Treacle
03-08-2005, 09:10
It's had 'badboys' but the viewers have been able to relate to them. It's not been about guns and drugs all the way...Most of the time we've found out why they're like that and they also have a nice side which redeems them. You could say Steve Owen was a gangsterish type but everybody loved him so he worked. Right now Johnnys domestic side doesn't work for him because he started out as too much of an hardcore diehard gangster king.

Luna
03-08-2005, 09:12
I dont like the storyline about him being a pimp either it just doesn't suit him

Treacle
03-08-2005, 09:17
Yeah and his and Pats D.O.Bs don't add up right for the storyline either.

Luna
03-08-2005, 09:19
I noticed that too cause he would have to be a bit older than her for that

Treacle
03-08-2005, 10:03
I noticed that too cause he would have to be a bit older than her for that
Not really but I think the reason they don't match is because if she started when she says she did then Johnny must have started pimping girls early on in life too.

Kim
03-08-2005, 10:13
How can Billy Murray leave when he signed a three year contract?

Treacle
03-08-2005, 10:17
How can Billy Murray leave when he signed a three year contract?
Tracy-Ann Oberman signed up until next year but Chrissie is leaving in November. If the producers mutually agree with them that it's best for the show then they will go.

BlackKat
03-08-2005, 10:49
I think this has been denied, although I guess they might just want to keep a lid of things so the press don't start in with metaphors of rats and sinking ships, :rolleyes:

I think they either need to do something with Johnny's character to get him out of this rut -- not make him a total gangster but give him his edge back, which I think Tina leaving should help with, or he needs to go. I think this is maybe why Tina has being axed, as they realised she was dragging Johnny down.

Kim
03-08-2005, 11:25
Ex Eastenders producer Kathleen Hutchison was behind Johnny's gangster life, she sacked Micheal Higgs (Andy) because he wasn't scary. Kate Harwood took over when Kathleen Hutchison left the show and she has made Johnny a boring character. I too hope that Johnny returns to his gangster ways when Tina leaves, otherwise he needs to go.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 11:27
Ex Eastenders producer Kathleen Hutchison was behind Johnny's gangster life, she sacked Micheal Higgs (Andy) because he wasn't scary. Kate Harwood took over when Kathleen Hutchison left the show and she has made Johnny a boring character. I too hope that Johnny returns to his gangster ways when Tina leaves, otherwise he needs to go.
Kate Harwood is actually helping the show by not bothering with this full-on gangster nonsense.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 11:27
I think this has been denied, although I guess they might just want to keep a lid of things so the press don't start in with metaphors of rats and sinking ships, :rolleyes:

I think they either need to do something with Johnny's character to get him out of this rut -- not make him a total gangster but give him his edge back, which I think Tina leaving should help with, or he needs to go. I think this is maybe why Tina has being axed, as they realised she was dragging Johnny down.
It wouldn't be a sinking ship if he left it would just about even things out following the departure of them awful Moonies.

Kim
03-08-2005, 11:48
Kate Harwood is actually helping the show by not bothering with this full-on gangster nonsense.
Johnny's character dosen't work when he isn't a gangster though. He needs to go back to that or go, thats my opinion anyway.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 11:51
Johnny's character dosen't work when he isn't a gangster though. He needs to go back to that or go, thats my opinion anyway.
The show doesn't work when Johnny is a gangster though, what's more important?

callummc
03-08-2005, 11:52
i for 1 will be glad to see the back of hom'i think his downfall started when he started treating alfie and nanna,2 people he had never set eyes on like the king and queen of walford,him being polite to dot is different,she'd known him since birth

Babe14
03-08-2005, 11:52
It wouldn't be a sinking ship if he left it would just about even things out following the departure of them awful Moonies.

Ah but one lovely Moonie is staying:) The Moonies were/are one of the best families in Walford. Although I hate Johnny, but there again other times I like him especially with Pat, I'm saying he should stay. There is scope for some good non gangster storylines. Although he should still have that gangster edge to him.

Kim
03-08-2005, 11:54
Johnny should go then. It dosen't work when a character completely changes.
Can't wait until next year.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 11:55
Ah but one lovely Moonie is staying:) The Moonies were/are one of the best families in Walford. Although I hate Johnny, but there again other times I like him especially with Pat, I'm saying he should stay. There is scope for some good non gangster storylines. Although he should still have that gangster edge to him.
Alfie is just awful and has been for the past year or so even in 2003 he started to go downhill and lose his happy go lucky charm. Theys hould never have depressed him and don't even get me started on Spencer I'd need a month!!!!

Those two eejits are part of the Moonie clan. The lovely Moonie who's staying won't be back for very long either once they run out of things he can do on his own.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 11:56
Johnny should go then. It dosen't work when a character completely changes.
Can't wait until next year.
Minty is working at the moment and he's changed.

Babe14
I dont like the storyline about him being a pimp either it just doesn't suit him

I think that's right up his street.

Luna
oh i love minty at the moment :D

Treacle
03-08-2005, 11:57
Except the fact he must have started when he was a young teenager.

Luna
03-08-2005, 11:59

No there was just something that just didn't add up apart from the age thing

kirsty_g
03-08-2005, 11:59
wounder what his exit will be

Luna
03-08-2005, 12:01
Someone will probably through him off a motorway bridge to get their own back

Dr. Tangliss
03-08-2005, 12:01
wounder what his exit will be

Me too.

I like Johnny Allen though, I don't want him to leave.

Kim
03-08-2005, 12:02
I hope he will go to jail for killing Andy. Maybe Jake could tell the police before he leaves. I never liked Andy but no crime should go unpunished.

Babe14
03-08-2005, 12:03
The lovely Moonie who's staying won't be back for very long either once they run out of things he can do on his own.

The lovley Moonie that is staying will be round for a long time(IMO) as he is a very strong character and works very well on his own there is plenty for him to do. He has great potential and interacts with other characters very well.

Also:

He is hugely popular

An amazing actor

Easties Top Sex Symbol along with Nigel.

Easties is being sexed up and the lovely one was named in that article.

He fits in with the new planned image, re introducing hot totty

I agree about Alfie he has gone down hill but there again with the lovely Moonie he works well.

Dr. Tangliss
03-08-2005, 12:03
Oh, I agree, he should be punished for killing Andy.

Babe14
03-08-2005, 12:05
Someone will probably through him off a motorway bridge to get their own back

LMAO! Maybe Jakey will be the one to do it, afterall he has one or two issues to settle with him.

Dr. Tangliss
03-08-2005, 12:06
Or the ghost of Andy Hunter will do it, lol!

Treacle
03-08-2005, 12:07
The lovley Moonie that is staying will be round for a long time(IMO) as he is a very strong character and works very well on his own there is plenty for him to do. He has great potential and interacts with other characters very well.

Also:

He is hugely popular

An amazing actor

Easties Top Sex Symbol along with Nigel.

Easties is being sexed up and the lovely one was named in that article.

He fits in with the new planned image, re introducing hot totty

I agree about Alfie he has gone down hill but there again with the lovely Moonie he works well.
Nobody can make Alfie any better now, he's an ill character!

And Jake's fanbase mainly consists of teenage girls :p

Dr. Tangliss
03-08-2005, 12:09
Nobody can make Alfie any better now, he's an ill character!

Yes, Alfie's character can never be the same as when he first cam into EE.

I must admit, I don't see the fascination with Jake, but each to their own I suppose:)

Babe14
03-08-2005, 12:15

Oh no it doesn't:p :p

Babe14
03-08-2005, 12:18
Or the ghost of Andy Hunter will do it, lol!

LOL

Treacle
03-08-2005, 12:18
Oh no it doesn't:p :p
I think it does, he's another one for the totty factor even though I don't find him that attractive. What's with the egg head?

Babe14
03-08-2005, 12:23
I think it does, he's another one for the totty factor even though I don't find him that attractive. What's with the egg head?

That's fair enough, we don't all have the same taste. I shall ignore that last remark:p

IMO all fan bases consist mainly of teenage girls, they're the only ones who join fan clubs, us older ones just admire from a distance or from a forum LOL

Luna
03-08-2005, 12:25
i could see that he would be attractive for some people but he didn't do it for me

Babe14
03-08-2005, 12:33
i could see that he would be attractive for some people but he didn't do it for me

He really does it for me, :wub: not that you'd ever have guessed LOL

kirsty_g
03-08-2005, 12:34

nor me

Luna
He really does it for me, :wub: not that you'd ever have guessed LOL

lol no never

Treacle
It's the egg head, creased forehead, manboobs and the way he cocks his head to one side. It's complete overacting...

Kim
03-08-2005, 12:41
I agree they could really turn his character around if he gotr involved with grant and phill

Agreed.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 12:42
I disagree, Johnny and the Mitchell brothers wouldn't mix. Johnny is an OAP for starters...

soxmox
03-08-2005, 12:56
i reckon i know how he'll leave. jake comes back and gets revenge on johnny for treating danny badly and grasses him up for andy hunter's murder

Treacle
03-08-2005, 12:57
i reckon i know how he'll leave. jake comes back and gets revenge on johnny for treating danny badly and grasses him up for andy hunter's murder
But Jake would be in trouble himself for keeping the murder a secret.

Luna
03-08-2005, 12:58
Yup he'd be done for withholding evidence

Kim
03-08-2005, 12:59
I disagree, Johnny and the Mitchell brothers wouldn't mix. Johnny is an OAP for starters...
Yes, but he was ok with Jake and Danny Moon until all the buisness with the fire.

Kim
03-08-2005, 13:01
Maybe Jake does tell the police that Johnny killed Andy and they both go to prison.

Luna
03-08-2005, 13:06
Maybe Jake does tell the police that Johnny killed Andy and they both go to prison.

Maybe but i dont think it would be a very good storyline for him to go out on i guess we'll just have to wait and see

.:SpIcYsPy:.
03-08-2005, 13:25
I don't want him to leave, I think he's a good actor.

BTW everything can't be nice and bubbly, we have to have some action and gangster themes.

Johnny Allen
03-08-2005, 13:41
Jake wouldn't get revenge on Johnny, Because Johnny is in a much higher league than Jake and He probably wouldn't have what it takes to take on Johnny. Jake knows how lucky he and Danny were to survive so he wouldn't take on Johnny I wouldn't think so anyway.

Treacle
03-08-2005, 13:49
Jake couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag with his manboobs on display...

Kim
03-08-2005, 14:56
I agree that he couldn't fight Johnny but all he'd have to do is tell the police that Johnny killed Andy. Johnny couldn't exactly do much to Jake in prison.

Luna
03-08-2005, 14:57
But jake would be there too for withholding evidence

Kim
03-08-2005, 15:32
Johnny couldn't do anthing to Jake while they were in prison though, thats what i meant. Wouldn't they be in different prisons though,considering what Johnny would want to do to Jake.

Luna
03-08-2005, 15:34
Yeah but even if they were put in different prisons johnny is the kind of man who would have contacts

eastenders mad
03-08-2005, 17:20
what a waste of time bring charters into ee when they leave after 4 weeks or more.
no wonder they are going down even though ee is my fav soap i can't beleive they are doing this what a waste.

Treacle
04-08-2005, 02:02
what a waste of time bring charters into ee when they leave after 4 weeks or more.
no wonder they are going down even though ee is my fav soap i can't beleive they are doing this what a waste.A) This has not been confirmed and has already been denied previously when yet another story was run on Billy Murray being sick of his role...

B) The show is not going down...and...

C) Johnny has been in it for the best part of six months already so it's hardly 4 weeks is it? Plus I wouldn't say he's been a hit with me especially recently.

Chris_2k11
04-08-2005, 04:14
Im not bothered if he goes to be honest. I like that Tina though.

Treacle
04-08-2005, 04:16
Im not bothered if he goes to be honest. I like that Tina though.
Oh well she's definately off :)

Chris_2k11
04-08-2005, 04:21
Oh well she's definately off :)Well I suppose she'll have nothing to stay in Walford for, if he goes.

Babe14
04-08-2005, 07:46
I don't think Billy Murray is leaving, it's another rumour.

Anyway although he's a character I love to hate, he is a good character to have in the show. I think that Johnny and the Mitchells will do "business" together.

Babe14
04-08-2005, 07:47
Also with Tina leaving it would be good to see Peggy and Johnny in a romance together, although when he first came into the show I thought there was chemistry between him and Pat.

Babe14
04-08-2005, 07:51
I don't want him to leave, I think he's a good actor.

BTW everything can't be nice and bubbly, we have to have some action and gangster themes.

I agree 110%. And for the Eastend it is very realistic to have a gentelman gangster like Johnny in it plus it adds grit and drama to the show.

Billy Murray is at his best when he's being bad. Personally I don't think he's leaving, so I'm saying Yet another rumour.

Dr. Tangliss
04-08-2005, 08:53
I hope you are right, Babe14, and it is a rumour!

Babe14
04-08-2005, 09:06
I hope you are right, Babe14, and it is a rumour!

I saw an interview with Billy recently and it was mentioned then and it was said just to be a rumour. Who knows though. Easties will be stupid to let him go. I don't believe anything until I read it on the official site.

Dr. Tangliss
04-08-2005, 09:07

i_luv_dennis
04-08-2005, 09:24
I don't think Billy Murray is leaving, it's another rumour.

Anyway although he's a character I love to hate, he is a good character to have in the show. I think that Johnny and the Mitchells will do "business" together.
he wants to leave its on walford web

Dr. Tangliss
04-08-2005, 09:47
What! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

callummc
04-08-2005, 11:40
I think from what bits i've read here and there,that he's never been happy there,if he is going maybe dennis should avenge his friend andy and help johnny to fly over the flyover,dennis has already done it once so revenging andy death would be great,justice would be done,don't worry dennis fans,walford police would just assume that walford gangsta's like to jump of bridges

kirsty_g
04-08-2005, 12:47
wounder what the storyline is going to be

BlackKat
04-08-2005, 13:08
he wants to leave its on walford web

It also says on Walford Web that the article was denied. :)

Dr. Tangliss
04-08-2005, 13:12
It also says on Walford Web that the article was denied. :)

:cheer: Once again, I can breathe a sigh of relief!

Luna
04-08-2005, 13:21
:cheer: Once again, I can breathe a sigh of relief!

Until the next time lol

Dr. Tangliss
04-08-2005, 13:26
I know. One min he is leaving the next he is staying.

Luna
04-08-2005, 13:27
Wish he would make his mind up

Dr. Tangliss
04-08-2005, 13:30
Me too!

Treacle
04-08-2005, 13:37
I agree 110%. And for the Eastend it is very realistic to have a gentelman gangster like Johnny in it plus it adds grit and drama to the show.

Billy Murray is at his best when he's being bad. Personally I don't think he's leaving, so I'm saying Yet another rumour.
I don't think we need a gangster atall in a small neighbourhood.

Luna
04-08-2005, 13:39
maybe not a gangster but we always need a bad boy

Treacle
04-08-2005, 13:40
maybe not a gangster but we always need a bad boy
And we've got badboys and no doubt will be getting many more because they work.

crazygirl
04-08-2005, 13:49
to be honest i have never liked him so i wont miss him

Kim
04-08-2005, 15:56
I liked him before he went all soft but now I think that the character should go.

kirsty_g
04-08-2005, 16:00
yeh i agree

Eastenders_4ev@
04-08-2005, 17:47
if johnny leaves will ruby still stay?

i hope she does i love ruby's character, does anyone know when she is back

prettypayal
04-08-2005, 18:24
i dont think ee knows which direction they going in. they introducing alot of new chacaters at the same time

Jessie Wallace
04-08-2005, 20:50
I don't believe this yet. He was recently quoted saying he was very happy at Eastenders, so why would he want to leave?!

Luna
04-08-2005, 20:52
Walford web has now said this has been denied. I hope they do turn him back into a baddie though he's rubbish being all nicey nice

Jessie Wallace
04-08-2005, 22:11
Kool, i don't want him to leave just yet, there are already too many changes going on.

Treacle
05-08-2005, 02:59
I personally think any rumours about Johnny leaving (Billy Murray quitting) should be taken with a pinch of salt because there seems to be a lot of them and it has been denied in the past :)

Chris_2k11
05-08-2005, 03:03
I'll just wait and see...

Treacle
05-08-2005, 03:04
I'll just wait and see...
I doubt it's true but personally I want him to leave! I like Billy Murray but can't be bothered with Johnny Allen but it depends what they do with him.

Chris_2k11
05-08-2005, 03:07
I doubt it's true but personally I want him to leave! I like Billy Murray but can't be bothered with Johnny Allen but it depends what they do with him.Im not really that keen on him either, to be honest im not a big fan of Ruby, I do quite like Tina though.

Treacle
05-08-2005, 03:09
Im not really that keen on him either, to be honest im not a big fan of Ruby, I do quite like Tina though.
I don't get the obsession with Ruby either all she does is flick her fringe out of her eyes and then roll her eyes. She's hardly a brilliant actress although to be fair she is showing promising talent because she did get better the more she was in it.

Chris_2k11
05-08-2005, 03:15
I don't get the obsession with Ruby either all she does is flick her fringe out of her eyes and then roll her eyes. She's hardly a brilliant actress although to be fair she is showing promising talent because she did get better the more she was in it.Let's hope she improves some more when she returns...

Treacle
05-08-2005, 03:18
Let's hope she improves some more when she returns...
Well she should be back on-screen pretty soon Louisa Lytton has been doing her exams in real life :)

Chris_2k11
05-08-2005, 03:22
Well she should be back on-screen pretty soon Louisa Lytton has been doing her exams in real life :)How did they write her out of EastEnders for the time being??

Treacle
05-08-2005, 03:24
How did they write her out of EastEnders for the time being??
She went to boarding school again didn't she? :)

Chris_2k11
05-08-2005, 03:31
She went to boarding school again didn't she? :)Oh yeah.

Babe14
05-08-2005, 07:48
I like Ruby especially with her being paired up with Stacey, they work well together.

Louisa is a great actress showing plenty of promise and pontential.

Hate Tina and can't wait until she goes.

Kim
05-08-2005, 09:04
I like Ruby and Stacey and I used to like Tina and Johnny when they were having a secret affair but i don't like them anymore and i cant wait until they go either.

Luna
05-08-2005, 09:05
i always thought there was something not right about that affair... :hmm:

Jessie Wallace
05-08-2005, 10:12
I like all three of them, but i'm not really bothered about Tina going. Glad Ruby will be back soon, then maybe will see Stacey a bit more too.

kirsty_g
05-08-2005, 12:53
and me i like the allans

Jessie Wallace
05-08-2005, 12:58
Yeap, i don't get what people don't like about them.

Treacle
05-08-2005, 14:04
I don't like Johnny that much Ruby is better especially with Stacey.

Jessie Wallace
05-08-2005, 16:34
Yeap, i can't wait for the Ruby and Stacey show to start again.

Kim
06-08-2005, 12:03
Me neither, both Ruby and Stacey have better storylines together.

Jessie Wallace
06-08-2005, 12:04
They are great together.

Treacle
07-08-2005, 04:02
We've not seen that much of Stacey lately I want to see her cause more trouble!

Chris_2k11
07-08-2005, 04:09
We've not seen that much of Stacey lately I want to see her cause more trouble!lol, me too! :D

Treacle
07-08-2005, 04:18
I miss her :)

Babe14
07-08-2005, 07:46
Yeap, i don't get what people don't like about them.

Me neither although there are times I don't like Johnny very much but overall I do and think he is another great character who adds that special sparkle to Easties. Hope they keep him in his gentlemanly gangster role.

Dr. Tangliss
07-08-2005, 09:29
We've not seen that much of Stacey lately I want to see her cause more trouble!

Me too!

Kim
07-08-2005, 10:33
No doubt she'll be causing more trouble when Ruby returns!

eastenders mad
07-08-2005, 11:11
yeah cause Ruby is her partner in crime

Kim
07-08-2005, 11:16
Exactly, Stacey just moaps around without Ruby.

Dr. Tangliss
07-08-2005, 15:51
I can't wait for Ruby's return :)

i_luv_dennis
07-08-2005, 17:27
nor me