PDA

View Full Version : best sunscreens

chance
28-07-2005, 00:06
1. Nivea Sun Moisturising Lotion SPF 15 (Available at Tesco; £8.99/200 ml)
My Grandma always used to have a pot of Nivea cream to hand, so the smell always brings back comforting childhood memories. Although the scent is the same, it is obvious that a lot of modern technology has gone into making this a reliable sun care product. The cream is quite thick and feels like it is conditioning as well as protecting the skin. As Nivea provides this product in a whole range of sun

protection factors, from 4 to 35, most people should be able to find a lotion to suit their skin type.

2. Tesco's Skin Wisdom Firming Anti Ageing Sun Protection for face SPF 25 (£5.99/50ml)
This cream has a fantastic scent. The combination of grape, white tea and green tea makes for a very refreshing, summery smell. Despite the thick, rich consistency the cream is easily absorbed in to the skin - this was great for my skin type, which is quite dry, though it may feel a little too heavy for someone with more oily skin. The high factor meant I felt protected all day and the stimulating fragrance is nice first thing in the morning.

3. Ambre Solaire Moisturising Protection Milk SPF 15 (Available at Tesco; £8.99)
An old summer faithful, Ambre Solaire remains the market leader in sun care products. This particular product is a safe bet for protection from sun exposure as you can buy high factors that should be enough to shield even sensitive pale skin from sun damage. The milk can be quite hard to rub in properly, so watch out for white smears, and it can feel a little greasy on the skin as well. The advantage of this formula, however, is that you feel that it's quite hardy - I was in the water for over half an hour without getting burnt and without having to reapply.

4. Boots No. 7 Body Sun Protector SPF 15 (Available from Boots; £9.75)
A lightweight, gently fragranced sun cream. This product is easily absorbed into the skin and feels like a good moisturiser. Although it did provide adequate protection and I couldn't see any skin damage, it felt like I had to reapply fairly often, and used quite a lot of lotion in one sitting. This may have been because I have quite dry skin and generally use thicker creams that I can really feel. The range of protection goes from factor 8 to 25.

5. Banana Boat Oil SPF 15 and Aloe Gel (Available from Tesco; £5.99)
I find sun oils slightly disconcerting as it feels like you are frying your skin. I did tan much faster wearing this product and I wouldn't recommend it for the best sun protection. On the other hand, it does really feel like it's doing some serious moisturising; even my skin, which is normally quite dry, felt supple and soft after dousing it in oil. The Aloe Gel that comes with it also feels soothing after you've been in the sun for a while.

Treacle
28-07-2005, 00:12
Don't wear them, they're too oily. If I really have to when my skin is bad then it has to be a spray as opposed to a cream.

Abi
28-07-2005, 20:26
I use Nivea religously, i couldn't do without it!

willow
28-07-2005, 20:32
i don't use it on myself really, but niall has nivea sun spray and niamh has pampers sun wipes

Abi
28-07-2005, 20:51
how do you manage to go without it, and not burn or wrinkle?

di marco
15-08-2005, 08:17
used sainsburys own make sprayon suncream this year and it was good, when i remembered to put it on i didnt burn!

Tori
23-08-2005, 15:44
i use ambre solaire and this year i used a spray- must easier than rubbing oncream because i find i put too much out and then i end up with it white all over my body.

di marco
24-08-2005, 07:22
i use ambre solaire and this year i used a spray- must easier than rubbing oncream because i find i put too much out and then i end up with it white all over my body.

lol! same here, the sprays so much easier and its not as sticky either

Tori
24-08-2005, 11:11
yeah and and although its more expensive, its easier

annaz
28-01-2006, 23:20
I use ambre solaire, I think it works well. I need to wear more

Chloe O'brien
28-01-2006, 23:24
i used p20 last year in greece it's about £18 a bottle but you only need to put it on once in the morning and wait about 1 1/2 hours before you go out in the sun. it goes on clear but it smells a bit and watch your clothes because it dies them orange and it doesn't come out