PDA

View Full Version : Bill Roach "Corrie Is Superficial"

Bryan
26-07-2005, 10:58
From Digital Spy:

Bill Roache: Corrie is 'superficial'
Monday, July 25 2005, 15:13 BST -- by Kris Green

Coronation Street veteran Bill Roache, has admitted that he is unimpressed with what the cobbles have to offer nowadays.

“I don’t like so much of what the Street is these days,” the actor told The Sun. “It’s more superficial then it used to be. When it started in 1960 it was a drama serial and a very serious one. It was highly respected. Now it’s quicker, the scenes aren’t as deep and the whole thing is lighter."

Roache, who plays old-timer Ken Barlow, continued: “Its outlook used to be serious with occasional comedy. Now it’s more comedy with occasional tragedy. But whether I personally regret that or not, I realise that if it hadn’t changed it would have become a dinosaur and died.”

Detailing his opinions on the size of the cast, he said: “It’s very demanding work these days. There are no rehearsals, you have to be word perfect and just go in a do it… The size of the cast is too much, I think.

“But because of the amount of hours we do, you need a big cast. We only had about 15 people in my day and the characters had to be well integrated before getting big storylines.”

Roache also voiced his concerns over the number of Cockney characters: “It’s a Lancashire character-based show. You don’t bet Lancashire characters in EastEnders so why have so many Cockneys on the Street?

“We’ve had Mike Baldwin long enough. And now they’re extending his family. What are they going to do, take over the Street?”

Of his life, Roache admitted that he has loved being part of the Street but would have liked to been involved in a few feature films, adding: “I think I’m too old for that now, but you never know… we’ll see.”

Bryan
26-07-2005, 11:04
Now it’s quicker, the scenes aren’t as deep and the whole thing is lighter."

which defaets the object of a soap opera, and look at Eastenders there scenes cant get much deeper!

Its outlook used to be serious with occasional comedy. Now it’s more comedy with occasional tragedy

its major problem to date its a soap opera not a sitcom! and if sharley is the best "tragedy" you can other us then give up now

The size of the cast is too much, I think

too right, it has the biggest cast but half of them are underused, and old regulars like rita and gail are being shoved to one side to make way for camp sean and dame cilla!

his concerns over the number of Cockney characters: “It’s a Lancashire character-based show. You don’t bet Lancashire characters in EastEnders so why have so many Cockneys on the Street

totally agreed! where is the realism, in an london suburb you would have loads of diffferent people but in a street in manchester it would be typically white manchester born characters

“I think I’m too old for that now, but you never know… we’ll see.”

get out whilst you can mate! thats my advice to you!

well this little bitching session has really made by day and cheered me up no end

Bryan
26-07-2005, 11:19
maybe corrie should listen to these wise words of legend bill roach and do something about that farce of a show!

Treacle
27-07-2005, 14:33
Well he can't act anyways so I don't know how he's survived for so long in the programme. Looks like he's regretting it now because he would have liked to have tried other things. Oh well, I agree 100% with what he's saying, especially about the cockneys.