PDA

View Full Version : should EE take a break

callummc
25-07-2005, 21:47
Just a thought but does anyone agree that if EE was to take say a 3 month break in the summer-like dallas,dynasty etc years ago that it could really help them,the actors writers,crew etc could all use their break for holidays or oyher work etc,anyone due a suspension would have to take it then with no holiday pay,they culd finish on a cliffhanger ie dens demise and we'd have to wait till the end of the break to find out what happened,it might help their ratings cos we wouldn't have to endure all the boring stuff in the summer which only loses them veiwers and it would help keep ome of their stars and it would also mean that they all had their holidays and couldn't just take time off when they pleased.

CrazyLea
25-07-2005, 22:49
yaeh i agree

Treacle
25-07-2005, 22:57
It really wouldn't benefit the show or the BBC. I can see your point but I think it could potentially be the final nail in the coffin. It has got to stay strong, ITV would just love it if it wasn't shown for a few months. It would be almost like admitting defeat. They should just battle on. They'll fix it, don't worry x

callummc
26-07-2005, 00:03
to be honest i don't think it would do any of the soaps any harm to all take a break,when tjey were only going out 2 nights they had much stronger storylines,how can they keep going and coming up with new idea's,corries copied a load of ee storylines maybe they could think of some of their own if they also took a break

Treacle
26-07-2005, 01:08
Well it's unfair to blame the decline of EastEnders on it's 4 episode per week schedule because the fourth episode was introduced under John Yorke's reign on the show in 2001 which was when the show was still highly successful.
I have to agree that we could do with Corrie or Emmerdale dropping an episode or two. EastEnders is only on 4 nights a week which isn't much by todays soap schedules.

Jessie Wallace
26-07-2005, 02:09
No i don't think so, if they actually gave some storylines to others cast members rather than the same ones all the time, then everyone could have a rest.

Treacle
26-07-2005, 02:41
Part of the problem is they need a bigger cast but EE have never been reknowned for having a large cast, have they?
The good points of having a bigger cast is that some of them can have a rest while others are given stuff to do. EastEnders has always had a relatively smaller cast compared to Corrie but even in the past when it kicked the poop out of Corrie for 17-18 years it had a smaller cast that got used regulary so I think it's debatable whether that's the problem. It's more to do with scripts/plotlines. Infact the only issue at the moment is Mo and Alfie and a few other things that are missing.
I can't pinpoint the exact problem(s) but I have been analysing in great depth what has been happening to my first love. I'm currently in the process of writing a very long letter to the production team. I've already filled four pages of A4. It will get back on track though, it was the best thing on British TV for so long and is in no way a finished format. It's simply a British institution, a legend in it's own right and I am extremely proud of EastEnders and I love it and am so thankful for the huge role that it has played in my life in the past 20 years.
It's always been there for me and am confident our relationship is not about to be broken. Yes it's having an off time at the moment but watch this space. The candle has not yet gone out and that is why it should not take a break.

Dr. Tangliss
26-07-2005, 08:25
No i don't think so, if they actually gave some storylines to others cast members rather than the same ones all the time, then everyone could have a rest.

:cheer: I agree with you. Every time I watch Enders, it's always the same old, at the moment, regarding characters, such a Sharron and Dennis, the Kat, Alfie and little Mo love triangle, or the Millers. As much as I love them, it would be nice to see other characters taking centre stage for an episode or two, every so often.

i_luv_dennis
26-07-2005, 11:27
no

.:SpIcYsPy:.
26-07-2005, 11:32
Yep I agree, sorry!!

Katy
26-07-2005, 11:37
i think that a break wouldnt do EE any good. Talking about the cast though if the story lines were spread out then we wouldnt see the same characters all the time. If it took a break then it might lose veiwers as they might not tune in when it comes back.

Treacle
26-07-2005, 13:34
The audience has never been this weak but it's still quite strong especially in the winter.

Here is an extract of an interview with John Yorke who has now taken full control over the soap:

What went wrong with it while you were away? "Soaps have to be character-led. It became a bit too plot-led. It was the Brookside syndrome - just pursuing sensationalism. That's very dangerous. Audiences just don't believe you after a while." Why then not kill off EastEnders, just as Brookside was terminated while you were at Channel 4? "You couldn't do that! EastEnders saved the BBC." But that was 20 years ago. "No, it is part of the BBC1's DNA now, it's vital to the channel.

Abi
26-07-2005, 19:18
I'm sorry but i have to agree that they should

EE has been on the decline for months and months, and doesn't show much sign of improving. They should take a few weeks, not months but weeks, out then come back with a socking great, sensational storyline which will knock the socks of Corrie and blast them away.

i_luv_dennis
26-07-2005, 20:38
i agree with with the people who said it would not do eastenders any good as they are losing views by taking it of people are going to get use to another soap like emmerdale then they might not bother watching eastenders

so i never want eastenders to take a breck

leo_is_so_fit!!
26-07-2005, 20:42
I disagree totally like what would i do for 3 months?

alan45
26-07-2005, 22:58
Just a thought but does anyone agree that if EE was to take say a 3 month break in the summer-like dallas,dynasty etc years ago that it could really help them,the actors writers,crew etc could all use their break for holidays or oyher work etc,anyone due a suspension would have to take it then with no holiday pay,they culd finish on a cliffhanger ie dens demise and we'd have to wait till the end of the break to find out what happened,it might help their ratings cos we wouldn't have to endure all the boring stuff in the summer which only loses them veiwers and it would help keep ome of their stars and it would also mean that they all had their holidays and couldn't just take time off when they pleased.

Not only EE but ALL the soaps should be cancelled between june and september

Treacle
27-07-2005, 00:14
If soaps become seasonal then they will be destroyed. It's not how the format works and I for one couldn't adapt to such a drastic change. They are on far too much though especially the ITV soaps.

Treacle
27-07-2005, 00:14
I'm sorry but i have to agree that they should

EE has been on the decline for months and months, and doesn't show much sign of improving. They should take a few weeks, not months but weeks, out then come back with a socking great, sensational storyline which will knock the socks of Corrie and blast them away.
It's partly sensationalism that is to be blamed for the slump.

callummc
27-07-2005, 00:47
sorry but i think it's the pathetic writing that's to blame,instead of axing the actors they should axe 90% of the writers a 10 year old could do better

Treacle
27-07-2005, 00:49
Well some of the writers who are penning pathetic episodes nowadays were working on the show when it was good so it just goes to show it depends on the material they are given to work with. The producers are also tampering with a lot of scripts and thus not leaving it down to the writer.

Abi
27-07-2005, 17:41

at least it would make it half worth watching!

Treacle
27-07-2005, 19:42
Well it's sensational now and it's cringeworthy. Look at the Mofie storyline - that's sensationalism for you.

Abi
28-07-2005, 16:27
I hardly think that that is sensational, a mass murderer or something would do it for me

Kim
29-07-2005, 10:20
It really wouldn't benefit the show or the BBC. I can see your point but I think it could potentially be the final nail in the coffin. It has got to stay strong, ITV would just love it if it wasn't shown for a few months. It would be almost like admitting defeat. They should just battle on. They'll fix it, don't worry x
I agree.

Abi
29-07-2005, 10:30
I think its partly the desperation of the producers trying to fix it, that is making it worse. Stories like Dot driving

callummc
29-07-2005, 10:41
actually i like dots driving scenes,so did a lot of older people,ie my gran who stopped watching when den left started watching a bit then,its alfies attempts at crying,and cat made up like coco the clown that for me make it cringworthy

daisy
29-07-2005, 10:58
In answer to the original question...Yes EE should take a break.

Debs
29-07-2005, 18:38
no ireally dont think that it would help it at all. it has got a lot better lately and with all the fab stuff coming up im sure everyone will want to watch it agian

Princess
29-07-2005, 19:32
no ireally dont think that it would help it at all. it has got a lot better lately and with all the fab stuff coming up im sure everyone will want to watch it agian

Yeah. Its finally starting to pick up. In my opinon a break would only make things worse as it would give people the opportunity to get into other soaps like Corrie or Emmerdale. They might get used to life without EastEnders and not want to watch it again.

Abi
29-07-2005, 19:53
Things are picking up are they?!? Thats news to me! Yesterdays was a load of tosh, as was Tuesdays. The stories comign up in the future in theory sound good, but bringing Den back from the dead sounded good at the time, and look how that ended up. Eastenders can do much, much better then what they are doing at the moment, and if a break if what they need to get back on form, then a break it will be. If they do improve, then the viewers would come back, as would the many fans they seem to have.

Debs
29-07-2005, 19:59
of course they gonna have their bad days every soap does, but as a whole the storylinees lately have been loads better so yes i think it is picking up. I really dont see how a break would make it get back on form!!! I f they were reall fans they wouldnt have stopped watching in the first place

Treacle
29-07-2005, 21:14
Things are picking up are they?!? Thats news to me! Yesterdays was a load of tosh, as was Tuesdays. The stories comign up in the future in theory sound good, but bringing Den back from the dead sounded good at the time, and look how that ended up. Eastenders can do much, much better then what they are doing at the moment, and if a break if what they need to get back on form, then a break it will be. If they do improve, then the viewers would come back, as would the many fans they seem to have.
...in your opinion...you don't have the final say on whether things ARE actually picking up or not!

Abi
30-07-2005, 15:37
What do you mean?

squarelady
30-07-2005, 16:04
What do you mean?

I think she just means that what you've said is your opinion not what is actually going to happen? :searchme: :D

Treacle
30-07-2005, 19:23
What do you mean?
The way you were shocked when someone said things were picking up. It was like you weren't allowing them to have their opinion that things were picking up.

callummc
30-07-2005, 20:22
i don't think things are picking up yet,if the up and coming storylines that are due soon are as

callummc
30-07-2005, 20:25
sorry-good as the press etc have said,well ee might be about to pick up,if it does lets hope that it can continue,veiwers will only stay loyal for so long

Treacle
30-07-2005, 21:52
You'd be surprised how loyal people can be.

Treacle
30-07-2005, 21:54
Eastern Promise

EastEnders has really come alive with the return of Sharon and Dennis. Dreary Zoe has gone, and Billy Murray's portrayal of Johnny is superb.
A few months ago, I just wouldn't have believed the soap could have improved this much. But now I hope it'll get back to the glory days.

Helen M Hall,
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear

squarelady
31-07-2005, 01:15
I don't care how bad Eastenders gets or has got. I still watch and I'm sure I'm not the only loyal fan that would say that. Well I hope I'm not! :D

Jade
31-07-2005, 14:56

That is very true. I guess it doesnt help when newspapers give away the storylines months in advance and people talk about it.

Treacle
31-07-2005, 14:59
I don't care how bad Eastenders gets or has got. I still watch and I'm sure I'm not the only loyal fan that would say that. Well I hope I'm not! :D
There's still millions of us loyal viewers.

squarelady
31-07-2005, 14:59
I don't really understand how a break would help Eastenders at all? :searchme:

Treacle
01-08-2005, 04:34
I don't really understand how a break would help Eastenders at all? :searchme:
I don't think it would infact it might make things worse.