PDA

View Full Version : Wireless LAN

Jojo
25-07-2005, 15:15
HELP!!! Can anyone help on the set up of a wireless LAN for my laptop please? Completely lazy on my part I know, but as "the company" pays for it, I'm not too worried.

I am on broadband 1mbps and have a PCMCIA card for my laptop and a modem router, but it doesn't want to connect - I have installed, uninstalled, configured, reconfigured etc, but didn't know if anyone had tried and succeeded in installing one themselves.

Any ideas?? :searchme:

Bryan
25-07-2005, 15:30
HELP!!! Can anyone help on the set up of a wireless LAN for my laptop please? Completely lazy on my part I know, but as "the company" pays for it, I'm not too worried.

I am on broadband 1mbps and have a PCMCIA card for my laptop and a modem router, but it doesn't want to connect - I have installed, uninstalled, configured, reconfigured etc, but didn't know if anyone had tried and succeeded in installing one themselves.

Any ideas?? :searchme:

You got the switch on? theres a switch that can block wireless internts being detected if it is switched on search for available networks and ti should pick it up

Jojo
25-07-2005, 15:44
Ok - I'll try that - thanks BB

Luna
25-07-2005, 15:44
We just bought one from buffilo and i cant get it to work either

Meh
25-07-2005, 15:52
Can you see the wireless network from your laptop?

Jojo
25-07-2005, 15:56
Its showing but just can't connect.....

Bryan
25-07-2005, 16:13
right click and click repair or enable or something

Meh
25-07-2005, 16:40
Its showing but just can't connect.....

Is the network security enabled?
Is mac address filter turned on?

Jojo
25-07-2005, 16:46
Is the network security enabled?
Is mac address filter turned on? Oooo, how do I find that bit out....

Heres a question, which may seem daft, but hey......do I need a wired connection to sit idle for the wireless signal to work (if you catch my drift)??

Meh
25-07-2005, 16:51
network security and the mac address filter should be on the router somewhere under the options.

Whats the model number?

You shouldn't have the wired connection plugged in at the same time.

Jojo
25-07-2005, 23:22
I don't know if the one I have got is compatible even though it works wired. Can it make a difference?? The one I have is a TrendNet router.

Meh
26-07-2005, 10:02
TrendNet? Never heard of them.
It could be a number of issues really. I'd have to see the manual to tell you what settings to have.

Jojo
26-07-2005, 16:05
Ok - thanks for all of your advice though GR. According to the boffs here (where I live that is!!) apparently I need to have a tower wired in to send the wireless signal to the laptop!? I think I may just stick to what I have for now!

kayleigh6654
26-07-2005, 23:16
I have a Wireless LAN and mine's fine :D I love it. My router goes through the computer and we connect to the internet that way, its so fast and never turned off which is brilliant! And my laptop just connects through the card, its great.

Jojo
27-07-2005, 09:20
I like the idea of it, and it would put a spare tower I have in the house to good use, so I may look at it again once I have reformatted one of the towers I have and sorted it out! I just hate all of the wires going everywhere.

Meh
28-07-2005, 12:32
Ok - thanks for all of your advice though GR. According to the boffs here (where I live that is!!) apparently I need to have a tower wired in to send the wireless signal to the laptop!? I think I may just stick to what I have for now!

You what? A tower wired in? Defeats the purpose of having a router!

Tell me what your exact setup is - router model, hubs/switches, pcs (inc laptop), wireless cards

Jojo
29-07-2005, 15:38
To be honest, I took back the router and pcmcia card when they said that I would need to have the tower right by the phone point etc, so I have nothing now! If I were starting from scratch, what would you recommend GR?

Meh
29-07-2005, 15:54
To be honest, I took back the router and pcmcia card when they said that I would need to have the tower right by the phone point etc, so I have nothing now! If I were starting from scratch, what would you recommend GR?

How about 3com and this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9282701522&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=87995) package.
I've had one and works a charm. Has the router/wireless in one unit and the pcmcia in the other.

Jojo
29-07-2005, 15:59
How about 3com and this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9282701522&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=87995) package.
I've had one and works a charm. Has the router/wireless in one unit and the pcmcia in the other.That looks excellent - and I wouldn't need anything else? Just plug in, install and go, so to speak?

Meh
29-07-2005, 16:04
It is quite easy to setup. This is the way I would do it:

1. Make sure the router can connect to the internet. Check by connecting the supplied cat5 cable to the router and pc.
2. Turn on wireless in the router
3. Install the pcmcia card and drivers on laptop
4. Check if you can browse the web on laptop
5. Turn on wep security on the router
6. Enter the key into the laptop configuration
7. Check is you can still surf the net.

As long as you follow the instructions you should be fine. You wouldn't need any other hardware as its supplied with the above kit. I'm assuming you're on ADSL, not Cable.

Jojo
29-07-2005, 16:11
ASDL, yep. So it would go: phone socket to router to laptop pretty much, and I wouldn't need a go between (the only working computer I have is this laptop) - am I getting that right (and sorry to be a pain and loads of thanks for your help with this :D )

Meh
29-07-2005, 16:27
ASDL, yep. So it would go: phone socket to router to laptop pretty much, and I wouldn't need a go between (the only working computer I have is this laptop) - am I getting that right (and sorry to be a pain and loads of thanks for your help with this :D )

almost - on each phone socket you'll need a filter.

Jojo
29-07-2005, 16:36
almost - on each phone socket you'll need a filter.Got one of those on there. I can't believe its that simple. Cause the boffs down here said I would need to have a tower permanently plugged into the router to send the signal to my laptop, I wasn't going to bother - it was going to cost a fortune, but what you have just advised me is exactly what I want - Thanks :D :bow:

Meh
29-07-2005, 16:40
Got one of those on there. I can't believe its that simple. Cause the boffs down here said I would need to have a tower permanently plugged into the router to send the signal to my laptop, I wasn't going to bother - it was going to cost a fortune, but what you have just advised me is exactly what I want - Thanks :D :bow:

Whoever told you that needs to be shot. Maybe they were trying to make extra money out of you?

Jojo
29-07-2005, 16:50
Whoever told you that needs to be shot. Maybe they were trying to make extra money out of you?I think you're probably right - I won't be going there again!!!

Jojo
01-08-2005, 09:19
Just wanted to say, got the router etc, installed and it works!! So thanks GR for all of your help, its going to make my life a whole lot easier!!

Meh
01-08-2005, 09:36
Make sure you have wep enabled otherwise people will be able to hijack your wireless connection

Jojo
01-08-2005, 09:44
OK, I'll make sure I check that is enabled - thanks :D

Jojo
17-01-2006, 14:05
Please help - we have just changed our ISP to BT Internet, and it came with a wireless router etc. Well, because our old router etc never seemed to let us leave the living room without losing its connection, we thought we would try it. So I plug it all in and install it today (using the same old pcmcia card) and guess what - it doesn't work!!!!! As soon as i go more than 3 metres away, I can't use the internet. Please help!!! I am going to be getting a card for my sons pc, so he can use the internet too, but this is starting to really annoy me with my laptop?

Do you think I should get another pcmcia card and try that or can you think of anything else???

Thanks

Meh
17-01-2006, 15:03
OK, take a step back.

You're going to install a new wireless router with a BT internet connection? Whats the make and model? Also, whats the make and model of the pcmcia card?

Jojo
17-01-2006, 16:27
OK, take a step back.

You're going to install a new wireless router with a BT internet connection? Whats the make and model? Also, whats the make and model of the pcmcia card?Yep, we changed over isp's today, from wanadoo to BT. With BT they supply a router which is a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ASDL Router

My old PCMCIA card is a linksys one like this (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/785_117420.html) bought from Comet.

I am currently having to use the BT router with the ethernet cable as it isn't detecting the router through the PCMCIA, although both are installed correctly and there doesn't appear to be any conflicts :searchme:

Meh
17-01-2006, 23:05
Yep, we changed over isp's today, from wanadoo to BT. With BT they supply a router which is a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ASDL Router

My old PCMCIA card is a linksys one like this (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/785_117420.html) bought from Comet.

I am currently having to use the BT router with the ethernet cable as it isn't detecting the router through the PCMCIA, although both are installed correctly and there doesn't appear to be any conflicts :searchme:

Simple things to check.

1. Is wireless enabled in the router
2. Does windows find the wireless connection.

Jojo
17-01-2006, 23:17
Simple things to check.

1. Is wireless enabled in the router
2. Does windows find the wireless connection.Easy to answer..

1 - Yes
2 - Did initally, then I walked 3 metres away, it lost the internet connection and now cant find the wireless connection....

Meh
17-01-2006, 23:20
Have you upgraded to Windows service pack2?

Jojo
17-01-2006, 23:23
Yes, Service Pack 2 installed

Meh
17-01-2006, 23:28
When you switch on your old router, does that get picked up?

Jojo
17-01-2006, 23:38
It did at one point, but then wouldn't pick up anything and the router kept saying it couldn't obtain an ip address and even after resetting it and uninstalling, reinstalling etc, still wouldn't. But that one didn't work past 3 metres either, which was one reason why i was wondering if it was to do with the PCMCIA card (not that i have a real clue about it though)