PDA

View Full Version : Daft Laws

Luna
15-07-2005, 18:34
I cannot believe these are still in force

The following laws are still on the statute books - be warned

* With the exception of carrots, most goods may not be sold on Sunday.

* All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

* London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.

* The severest Penaltys will be suffered by any commoner who doth permit his animal to have carnal knowledge of a pet of the Royal House (enacted by George I).

* It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).

* Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

* It is illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks (enacted by Edward VI).

* Chelsea Pensioners may not be impersonated.

* A bed may not be hung out of a window.

* It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

* Mince pies can not be eaten on Christmas day.

* Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked manequin.

* Picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.

* It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

* It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

* Interfering with the mail or sleeping with the consort of the Queen is classed as treason, and as such, carries a maximum penalty of death.
Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.

* A license is required to keep a lunatic.

* Damaging the grass is illegal.

* In Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

* In Hereford, you may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

* In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

* In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

myra129
15-07-2005, 20:54
Are these serious?

willow
15-07-2005, 21:09
i have heard a few of these before!!! i love them really funny!!!

Luna
15-07-2005, 21:30
Are these serious?

yeah they are

di marco
16-07-2005, 08:56
some of those are so stupid!

* It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).

* In Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

id heard those 2 before

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:39
lol they're wierd

di marco
16-07-2005, 12:07
weve got this weird game at our house and its hard to explain but one of the topics is weird laws, some of them are well strange, and try and post some for you

Johnny Allen
16-07-2005, 13:23
Is it true you can be arrested for collecting match boxes?

horseygal90
16-07-2005, 13:34
* London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.

That's probably from the olden days when they were pulled by horses - Animal welfare!

(I think this is the same as the Chester one, but hey) but it's legal to shoot and kill a welshman with a longbow/bow and arrow as long as he's in Wales and you're in England!

di marco
16-07-2005, 14:02

* In Hereford, you may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

* In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

i wonder if youd go down for murder if you abided by these laws! :D

Luna
17-07-2005, 23:33
i wonder if youd go down for murder if you abided by these laws! :D

yeah i wondered about that. If these laws are still in force would you be agble to murder someone and then bring this up in court?

hazey
18-07-2005, 18:13
more for your list : It is illegal to shake your carpets out the window after 6 am.

It is illegal to kiss and cuddle in a public house(pub,bar)

.:SpIcYsPy:.
18-07-2005, 18:17
smoking should be lowered

Trinity
18-07-2005, 18:18
I cannot believe these are still in force*

* It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

* Mince pies can not be eaten on Christmas day.

The top 2 are good - we can all loose weight!

Remind me not to visit York on a Sunday!

Luna
18-07-2005, 18:19
Remind me not to visit York on a Sunday!

lol yeah i was getting worried about that one too!!!!

Luna
18-07-2005, 18:23
Some more

# NY State Laws A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
# It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
# A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
# The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
# A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his or her pocket.
# While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.
# Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 P.M.

18-07-2005, 20:42
* A bed may not be hung out of a window.
Like its going to be....

* Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

* It is illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks (enacted by Edward VI).
erm ok...

* In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.
Huh!?

18-07-2005, 20:43
# The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
Oh I never knew that one...

18-07-2005, 20:44
Are these jokes... the ones lunalee said?

di marco
18-07-2005, 21:06

no theyre true! :D

Luna
18-07-2005, 21:35

Nope there are true here one of the websites http://www.dumblaws.com/

it's not the one i found these ones on though