PDA

View Full Version : EE told they are to white

callummc
13-07-2005, 13:12
according to a thread on talk walford,which includes the article The BBC have told EE they must introduce more actors of an ethnic background and they are starting with a black nurse-sonia's friend,which sounds ok,but then they are to introduce a muslim family,which if rushed like the ferrereas could cause problems for the actors in my opinion cos the people who played them i have seen on other programms and they were great,put thm intoEe and lets be honest it won't be great for their future carreers,personally i think ee should be left alone to choose what ethnic background their actors are from,ee is only a soap we all know the east end is a multicultural area,so is manchester and corrie dosn't mirror this so while ee is recovering from the terrible storylines the ferrera's were given why should they be pushed into choosing actors because of their ethnic background,i don't mean this in a racist sense,i just mean if ee rush this it could damage th careers of actors like the ferrerea's and get ee loads more bad pulicity

Treacle
13-07-2005, 14:19
I personally feel they are right but I don't think they should go about bringing characters from different ethnic backgrounds in on purpose, they need to just plan new signings. If it's a black character so be it it's all about the character not introducing them to up the ethnic numbers.

Crazzykayzz
15-07-2005, 17:19
i know this is nothing to do with what you all are talking about so sorry about that...is spencer moon coming back??? and is alfie leaving????

Debs
15-07-2005, 23:38
have a look in the spoiler sections and you will find your answers

alan45
16-07-2005, 01:02
IMHO characters should not be brought in just because of their ethnicity. Look what happened with the Borrerias who were allegedly researched fot a year. The Osmans were fantastic and felt so natural. Its daft to bring in people just to please the PC brigade

Treacle
16-07-2005, 01:04
IMHO characters should not be brought in just because of their ethnicity. Look what happened with the Borrerias who were allegedly researched fot a year. The Osmans were fantastic and felt so natural. Its daft to bring in people just to please the PC brigade
They can look for a ethnic family but they should be basing their signings on potential storylines and the talent involved. They can however look specifically for a certain culture.

volvic
16-07-2005, 01:10
i feel that EE has a good mix of ethnic race already,maybe they are going over the top

callummc
16-07-2005, 01:19
yes-i agree but it should be ee choice,when ee are ready not just cos the beeb are demanding cos if ee get it wrong again its the poor actors who get slagged of in the papers also i'm sure the actors chosen would rather be chosen for their acting ability and not their ethnic background plus if you think of the damage done to the careers of the actor who played the ferreres i'm sure a lot of good asian actors would wonders if they were being handed a poison chalice

alan45
16-07-2005, 01:28
If they had brought fewer Ferrias in it may have worked. After all Ash was a great actor on The Bill but wasnt given any decent storys on EE

Treacle
16-07-2005, 01:30
Well at the end of the day you can't like every character in the show, even when it was number one for 17 years, there was always characters I didn't like.

Angeldelight
16-07-2005, 17:54
it's stupid that they're being told to bring in more characters because they are too many white characters... you should bring characters into a show who will be interesting and can develop over a long term basis... and not for the sake of it... what happens if the viewers don't like the characters and begin to switch off???

Treacle
16-07-2005, 17:58
Exactly, there's no harm in them looking for an ethnic family though but if it's just to boost the numbers and not to give them good plotlines then it's just going to be stupid.

squarelady
16-07-2005, 18:00
I'd rather it be too white than bring in ethnic families and then get criticised for trying to over compensate. They'll never win whatever they do! :searchme: The criticism will never end, it's best ignored.

Treacle
16-07-2005, 18:04
I'd rather it be too white than bring in ethnic families and then get criticised for trying to over compensate. They'll never win whatever they do! :searchme: The criticism will never end, it's best ignored.
Exactly! If you take any notice of these critics, it makes them worse.

i_luv_dennis
16-07-2005, 18:07
i agree with them

Angeldelight
16-07-2005, 19:32
you agree with the with the critics or us??? sorry little confused by that...

hayzie
16-07-2005, 22:22
well at the end of the day, why do EE need to tell us that the east end is a mutli-culteral place to live, london is a multi-ethnic city and everyone knows it. but on the other hand i do understand that there should be more ethnic people in EE, it would be more interesting i think if there was, ok im not making much sense but basically they should do auditions for a family of a certain ethnic origin, then choose the best actors to play them people.

Treacle
16-07-2005, 23:41
There used to be loads when it first started and ruled the industry within it's first week.

Alisha
17-07-2005, 06:55
I agree with a lot of what’s been said here. Firstly Asian characters should not be introduced to make up the numbers and prove the point that 'see we are representing the east end by having asian people'. That is complete tosh and that’s where they failed with the Ferarrahs, Ethnic characters should not be token characters.

Also acting doesn't seem to be the problem as far as I’m concerned. Some may disagree but the Ferarrahs were not rubbish actors. They had some talent. It was the scripts that were dire and written by people who obviously didn’t have a clue about their culture and what storyline will benefit them. I'm Asian my self and I personally feel they were terribal and a poor representation of an asian family.

Apparently LB took 2 years researching them. Pah, she didn't have a clue!

chance
17-07-2005, 10:37
the ferrerias didnt work so why try it all over again?

Treacle
17-07-2005, 11:40
the ferrerias didnt work so why try it all over again?
There's really no harm in them looking for ethnic people to join the show but not just based on their skin tone, they got to have plans for them for their acting talent and potential storylines.

callummc
17-07-2005, 14:27
the problem with a muslim family in peticular would be hard to find storylines for them,cos they live cleaner lives than we do,they don't drink so pub scenes are out,they tend to keep their children in check,so naughty kids are out,the men don't play around on their own doorstep,and the women don't play around at all,so writing for them would be very difficlt,and if they did have them acting bad and breaking rules well then the muslim people would be up in arms about how their being portrayed,and the other storylines cheating husbands,arranged marriages have all been done before so wher do they go from there

Jade
17-07-2005, 14:29
the problem with a muslim family in peticular would be hard to find storylines for them,cos they live cleaner lives than we do,they don't drink so pub scenes are out,they tend to keep their children in check,so naughty kids are out,the men don't play around on their own doorstep,and the women don't play around at all,so writing for them would be very difficlt,and if they did have them acting bad and breaking rules well then the muslim people would be up in arms about how their being portrayed,and the other storylines cheating husbands,arranged marriages have all been done before so wher do they go from there

Thats all a bit stero typical though.

They did have Sanjay and Gita though, they were good in their time (did Gita have an affair with Sanjays brother or something). Not sure what religion they were though.

callummc
17-07-2005, 14:35
yes they were good but i don't know what religion,not sure if soaps should get involved with religious issues though