PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test!!! HELP!!!!

willow
10-07-2005, 10:41
Right i have got my driving test on friday, i am so nervous!!!
has anyone got any tips or word of wisdom that will help me!!
please please please!!!!!

thanks
katy

di marco
10-07-2005, 11:16
good luck, im sure youll be fine, sorry have no tips as i havent done mine! but do you have any tips for the theory part as im going to be taking that soon?

horseygal90
10-07-2005, 11:21
Don't crash? :)

Good luck!

chance
10-07-2005, 13:04
believe in yourself..

chance
10-07-2005, 13:05
also if you think you have done something wrong just forget it and carry on try not to let it put you off and assume you have failed already.

xCharliex
10-07-2005, 13:34
Make sure you check your mirrors everytime you change lanes, come up to a set of traffic lights, pull off, before you signal. They always get you on your mirrors, so just check them as much as you can. If you get asked to do an emergency stop, once you move on check your mirros before.
Also remember to use your handbrake at traffic lights.

GOOD LUCK

hazey
10-07-2005, 16:06
wear somthing that you feel comfortable in,so you dont feel tempted to adjust your dress. The some goes for your shoes.

Remember the rules Mirror signal manovere
Dont go over the speed limit with nerves
Listen to what you are asked to do,and dont be afraid to ask againif you didnt understand.

Make sure you have lunch/breakfast before you go,it will stop the tummy rumbling.

Most of all relax Good luck

myra129
10-07-2005, 16:31
Dont overuse your mirrors though, especially when reversing.
I got failed on my 1st test for that.

Trinity
10-07-2005, 16:44
Adjust the mirror when you get into the car. Make it slightly out so that it is more obvious when you look in the mirrors.

Hazey's comments are all spot on.

Take a deap breath and calm down. If you are too nevous you will not do yourself justice. Try herbal Calm tablets from the chemist.

Remember, you have practiced for this, YOU CAN DO IT. All you have to do it show the examiner that you can.

Good luck!

Abi
10-07-2005, 18:47
good luck, im sure youll be fine, sorry have no tips as i havent done mine! but do you have any tips for the theory part as im going to be taking that soon?

try buying one of those computer programs. Part of it is a hazards test, and they simulate what it will be like. They also have 100's of questions that they might ask.

My sister found it a god-send!

Luna
10-07-2005, 18:57
Just remember that they want you to pass aswell. I failed my first and second for doing 35 on a 40 road so try not to do that!!!

You can also now do your three point turn in up to 5 moves now so dont worry if you cant get it in three.

I also was asked to pull over a fews times for no reason at all that un-nerved me a bit bit it's all part of it.

If you need to stop at anytime because you are feeling too nervous you can ask and they will let you get out the car and walk around for a bit. I found that really helped me.

I have heard that taking two asprin and eatting a banna ill help your nerves but i never done that. I think it was actually my instructor that told me that lol

Well good luck and let us know how you get on

Debs
10-07-2005, 19:41
Good luck. hope it all goes great

di marco
10-07-2005, 20:10
Just remember that they want you to pass aswell. I failed my first and second for doing 35 on a 40 road so try not to do that!!!

they didnt let you do 35 in a 40 zone? isnt that a bit harsh?

di marco
10-07-2005, 20:11
try buying one of those computer programs. Part of it is a hazards test, and they simulate what it will be like. They also have 100's of questions that they might ask.

My sister found it a god-send!

do you know how much roughly it is and where i can buy it from?

Luna
10-07-2005, 21:03
do you know how much roughly it is and where i can buy it from?

It's about 14 pounds and you can get it from asda and places like that. Think you can also get them in computer shops like GAME! They really are a great help

Luna
10-07-2005, 21:05
they didnt let you do 35 in a 40 zone? isnt that a bit harsh?

He said i was holding up the rush hour traffic :angry:

willow
11-07-2005, 08:52
thats all fantastic thank you guys!!!
i have got some of the calming tablets called quiet life, i have been told about setting the mirror off and i do that now thats a good one!!!
the cd rom for the theory and hazard precepion are great i would not have passed mine without it!!! i was lucky i borrowed mine from a freind, my sis is gettung ready to do her theory at the mo, i thought you could do 35 in a 40 !!! its not like you were doing 45!!!!

again thanks for all the help!!!
i will let you know friday afternoon how i get on good or bad!!!!

Carrie Bradshaw
11-07-2005, 13:54
Don't rush your maneouvres - they can't fail you for taking too long!
Keep looking around you and using your mirror all the time. Remember to check over your shoulder anytime you move off.
At roundabouts etc it is better to wait until you are sure there is a big enough space and possibly get a minor for undue hesitation, than to rush out in a space that is too small and fail.
Good Luck!!
PS. Don't get too nervous - remember that the worst that can happen is that you might fail, in which case you can just resit it again!

willow
15-07-2005, 18:19
well i failed!!!

i got 22 minors!!
and 1 serious for not checking my mirrors!!!

Luna
15-07-2005, 18:23
Awwww sorry about that willow.

Better luck next time.

Trinity
15-07-2005, 18:53
A bit more practice, then sit it again. Don't leave it too long, and don't worry!

Luna
15-07-2005, 19:40
I done mine one week after the other wanted it over as soon as possible. I was lucky to get the same guy twice though....convinced that was the only reason i passed lol

Debs
15-07-2005, 20:39
well i failed!!!

i got 22 minors!!
and 1 serious for not checking my mirrors!!!

oh dear sorry to hear you failed. better luck next time!

willow
15-07-2005, 22:54
i just feel really bad that i did not pass!!!!

it was on silly things, like i did not check my mirrors enoug, but i DID!!!!

di marco
16-07-2005, 08:59
sorry willow, im sure youll pass next time. have you booked another test yet?

daisy38
16-07-2005, 09:22
I failed my driving test too on Monday (11th), don't be to down hearted! I've re-booked mine, the earliest i could get was the end of August!

I failed for not having enough observation when reversing round the corner! :D

willow
19-07-2005, 16:02
I failed my driving test too on Monday (11th), don't be to down hearted! I've re-booked mine, the earliest i could get was the end of August!

I failed for not having enough observation when reversing round the corner! :D

snap!!! that was one of my things i failed on!!!
but i was driving a brand new car i had never driven and i had to do i bay park witch i had never done until 10 mins before my test!!!
my other half is complaining to bsm and trying to get them to pay for my next test!!!
the earliest i can get my next test is 15th august

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:09
Its a bit unfair that they hadn't taught you bay parking (which luckily wasn't included in the tests when I took mine - phew!!) - I agree that BSM should either pay for your next test or at least contribute towards it. Sorry that you didn't pass though. If its any consolation, if I took my test again now 12 years after passing mine, I wouldn't pass it this time and think that probably goes for most people!

phils little sister
19-07-2005, 16:11
snap!!! that was one of my things i failed on!!!
but i was driving a brand new car i had never driven and i had to do i bay park witch i had never done until 10 mins before my test!!!
my other half is complaining to bsm and trying to get them to pay for my next test!!!
the earliest i can get my next test is 15th august

15th August is just around the corner Im waiting to here when mine is - the waiting list here is around 12 - 18 months if not longer :thumbsdow

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:12
Crikey, thats a long list.....

willow
19-07-2005, 16:13
15th August is just around the corner Im waiting to here when mine is - the waiting list here is around 12 - 18 months if not longer :thumbsdow

flipping heck thats a long time to wait!!! :thumbsdow

phils little sister
19-07-2005, 16:14
tell me about it im nearly on my 2nd provisional licence already, my licence is up in November and i doubt ill have the date for my test by then, and i i do fail ill have to wait the same lenght again :angry:

phils little sister
19-07-2005, 16:17
:searchme: i dont know if you's have the same thing on your licence but it says on mine 999 and 991 which means 1st licence and must be have a qualified driver with you when your driving - im like what am i meant to get my ma up out of bed to come to work with me its a mad system we have altogether :searchme:

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:17
That is totally ridiculous :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

phils little sister
19-07-2005, 16:18
Yeah i know they are talking about making improvements all the time but it still hasnt happened ive been waiting to hear when ill actually get the date for my test since last november

willow
19-07-2005, 16:27
i have until november next year to pass then i have to take the thoery again!!

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:30
I am so glad I took my test before this theory and practical lark came in - I don't think I could do it now!

willow
19-07-2005, 16:32
its not that bad really, its the hazard preception that is not easy!! esecially if you don't have a computer to practice on!!! its a bit unfair then

Luna
19-07-2005, 16:35
I failed my first theory test by one point and the very next day the ahzard perseption came in.....i was gutted

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:36
But to me, hazard perception is learnt more so when you are out on the road driving properly without actually concerning yourself with the mirror signal manoveur (sp?) stuff and making sure your handbrake is on etc etc. I remember how nervous I used to be when I was learning to drive and was lucky I had a dad who would take me out just for getting a feel of everything and not worrying too much about it - it more taught me to drive than taught me to pass my test. I think I passed about a year or 2 before the new laws came in - phew!!

willow
19-07-2005, 16:36
i got 3 wrong on the theory and i got 58 out of 75 on my hazard preception
i would not like to sit it again!!

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:38
So if you don't pass your practical in a certain amount of time, do you have to do the theory again then???

Luna
19-07-2005, 16:39
Yeah you've got two years

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:46
So if theres a waiting list like Phils Little Sister has got, it could take ages then - crumbs. 2 years may seem a long time but in many terms its not that long..

Luna
19-07-2005, 16:48
Yeah god that is some waiting time!!!1 I wonder if they would make allowances for that though? It's not the learners fault thats they cant sit the test

Jojo
19-07-2005, 16:51
Thats what I was thinking - its expensive enough to learn to drive what with driving lessons, test fees etc plus then getting your own car and insurance, but if you had to pay and do your theory fee each time on top, you would be spending hundreds just to be able to get a bit of paper that says, I've learnt to pass my test now, so I am going to now learn to drive!!

willow
19-07-2005, 18:57
the price they charge is totally outragous!!!

Luna
19-07-2005, 20:11
Mine was about 18 for the theory and then 100 each timne i sat my test (with the hour lesson before, paying my instructor for the hour i was sitting my test and because i could only do it on a saturday it coist more to book)

willow
19-07-2005, 20:29
i think it was 22.50 for the theory
about 45:00 per 2 hour lesson
and 42:00 for the test + 45:00 to use the car for 2 hours (1 hour lesson before 35 mins test and getting home)
its totally outragous!!!!

di marco
20-07-2005, 06:13
omg im going to have to start saving then! my mum keeps going on at me to send off for my provisional license, shes says that theres no way ill be getting a car for my bday if i dont send off for my license and sort out driving lessons before my bday gets here!

willow
20-07-2005, 07:07
its just so expensive!!!
and on top ofall the lesson prices my car cost me 1.650:00, tax for a year 110:00 ish
and insurance about 535

di marco
20-07-2005, 08:16
yeh my insurance is going to be well high!

willow
20-07-2005, 08:19
depends on the size of your engine, i am lucky i have a 1.0 ltr and i am 28 so my age is on my side!!! i get mine from tesco they are quite good, my sister got hers from admiral

Luna
20-07-2005, 08:22
im quite lucky i work for an insurance firm - before i started there my insurance was 136 per month all because i was a new driver - now it's 36 per month with staff discount :D

willow
20-07-2005, 08:23
you lucky thing!!!! i work in an off licence so i get cheap booze!!! lol!!!

Luna
20-07-2005, 08:24
well i know which one id prefer lol

Jojo
20-07-2005, 09:05
I'm quite lucky cause I am classed as a "safe" driver because I am 29 and passed my test at 17, and have full no claims. I have a 1.9dCI (which flies) and my insurance is £25 per month. But as my hubby keeps telling me, how I haven't lost my license through speeding yet is amazing. I am lucky I am long sighted and keep an eye out for the police all of the time, but I will be caught one day, I know it. I never speed on housing estates etc though in case of children, its mostly on the motorway and dual carriageways that I am at my worst!!

My lessons cost me about £15 per hour and then the test was about £50 so I am glad I only had to do it the once!!! I was 6 months pregnant when I took my test too so maybe my examiner felt sorry for me!!! :D

willow
20-07-2005, 09:32
maybe i should stuff a cushion up my jumper then!!! ha ha lol!!!

we have just bought a new car we get it on monday, its a 2.0 ltr diesel toyota verso, its got dvd players in the back for the kids!! :cheer:

Luna
20-07-2005, 09:33

Thats it short skirt low top and cushion.....knew i was missing something when i sat mine lol

willow
20-07-2005, 09:35
i tried the low cut top and that did not work, right short skirt next time!!!

Jojo
20-07-2005, 09:36

we have just bought a new car we get it on monday, its a 2.0 ltr diesel toyota verso, its got dvd players in the back for the kids!! :cheer:lol We've got a Grand Scenic (the 7 seat version) and we've installed a dvd player ourselves as renault were going to charge £1000 to do it and we've done if £200!!! Its great for the kids, they love it especially when we go up to Wales to visit the rellies! Its just about a long enough journey to watch a film!

Jojo
20-07-2005, 09:37
Thats it short skirt low top and cushion.....knew i was missing something when i sat mine lolMind you, back then I was made to feel embarrassed that I was pregnant because I was 17, so it was more baggy jumper and trousers I'm afraid!! lol

Luna
20-07-2005, 09:38
lol We've got a Grand Scenic (the 7 seat version) and we've installed a dvd player ourselves as renault were going to charge £1000 to do it and we've done if £200!!! Its great for the kids, they love it especially when we go up to Wales to visit the rellies! Its just about a long enough journey to watch a film!

It is cheaper doing it on your own i done that aswell with the dvd players and my cd player. They were going to charge me 500 for the cd player but i done it for 99

willow
20-07-2005, 09:38
i know they are fab, we are going on holiday in august and it is about a 4 hour trip to cornwall, it will be nice to have a bit of peace and quiet!!!

Jojo
20-07-2005, 09:40
The only problem comes when my eldest doesn't want to watch Postman Pat anymore or youngest doesn't want to watch a film!! It does make life a lot easier though, thats for sure!

willow
20-07-2005, 09:41
luckily niamh sleeps almost as soon as the engine starts so niall will not have to put up with bear in the big blue house!!!

Jojo
20-07-2005, 09:44
Ci has stopped sleeping too much in the car now, except on the way home from Wales anyway, but he's pretty good and enjoys films like Garfield and The Incredibles etc, so that normally keeps them both happy!

chance
25-07-2005, 00:10
More than a million people fail the Practical Test every year, so it's quite common and nothing to feel bad about. Just bear in mind that everything on the driving test you should already know. There are no secrets, tricks or surprises

It's best to book your test after agreeing a good date and time with your instructor, since you'll be using his/her car for the test. The instructor might even book the test for you if you ask.

If you want to book it yourself, applications forms are available from your instructor or from your local Driving Test Centre.

So what exactly happens on the test?

Sometimes anxiety is based on the unknown, so here's what to expect. First, you'll meet the examiner at the test centre, and he/she will ask you for three documents: Your signed provisional driving licence, your Theory Test pass certificate, and any acceptable document that includes your photo and signature (ie: passport, ID, etc).

If you can't find an acceptable document, you must provide a photo of yourself that has been signed by an acceptable person such as a driving instructor, an MP, a minister, a lawyer, a teacher or a doctor.

Next, you'll be asked to sign an insurance declaration so that your instructor's car will be covered. Then you'll accompany the examiner outside, where you'll be asked to read a number plate from 67 feet away. If you cannot do this, your tests ends there, with the loss of your fee. So make sure to have your glasses or contact lenses if you need them!

After you've read the number plate, you'll be asked to sit in the car while the examiner records the model of the vehicle and the name of the driving school, etc.

Then the examiner will get in the front passenger seat, explain briefly how the test works, and then you'll be asked to start the car and move away.

The test lasts for 35-40 minutes. During that time, you will be asked to perform two or three slow manoeuvres, and maybe an emergency stop. You may also be asked to demonstrate a hill-start and an angled start. The rest of the time is taken up by general driving.

willow
28-10-2005, 07:30
right it is nearly time for test number 2!!!

not as nervous as the last time!! but still dreading it!!!

i will let you all know the out come

Jojo
28-10-2005, 09:11
Good luck Willow - are you feeling confident about it though??

.:SpIcYsPy:.
28-10-2005, 09:44
You can do it willow!! :D

~*~Leanne~*~
28-10-2005, 11:16
good luck willow

Kim
28-10-2005, 12:43
Good luck in your test willow

Cornishbabe
28-10-2005, 16:45
Good luck in your test.

mines in 5 weeks and my instructor died last week im terrified!

Carrie Bradshaw
28-10-2005, 17:56
Good luck in your test.

mines in 5 weeks and my instructor died last week im terrified!
:eek: Thats really bad!!
Good luck to both of you! :)

Debs
28-10-2005, 17:57
good luck willow!

willow
01-11-2005, 12:45
did not pass again!!!

only 9 minors though

but failed on 2 serious

1 obervation 1 some silly moo at a roundabout did not move and i did!!!!

Luna
01-11-2005, 12:48
aaawww sorry to hear that willow - better luck next time hun xx

willow
01-11-2005, 12:51
i am going to re book it today!!!

Luna
01-11-2005, 12:54
good on you - get back there asap

I sat my second test on the friday and passed my third the following saturday

Trinity
01-11-2005, 13:13
You can do it Willow. You still have a long way to go before you beat my record of driving test attempts - but I passed in the end and you will too.

Debs
01-11-2005, 13:14
did not pass again!!!

only 9 minors though

but failed on 2 serious

1 obervation 1 some silly moo at a roundabout did not move and i did!!!!

aww sorry to hear you didnt pass again. keep trying my sister took ages and then finally she did it!

good luck for next time

Cornishbabe
03-11-2005, 18:13
good luck with your test

Behemoth
04-11-2005, 12:00
:D Got my provisional license through today! Can't wait to start lessons!

Jojo
04-11-2005, 12:00
Look out Wales!!!!! :rotfl:

Behemoth
04-11-2005, 12:01
Look out Wales!!!!! :rotfl: lol - I'm gonna be whizzing round everywhere!!

Jojo
04-11-2005, 12:04
lol - I'm gonna be whizzing round everywhere!!Whizzing around at 30 mph!! lol Ahhh, brings back memories of when I was 17 all those years ago!!

Behemoth
04-11-2005, 12:06
I'm really nervous about learning! I keep thinking I'll accidentally kill someone with the car or something!

Jojo
04-11-2005, 12:09
Or a sheep :rotfl:

Sorry - missed ya thats all lol

Naaa, you'll be fine - the best thing I did to start off when i was learning, was got my dad to take me to a large car park on a sunday and I drove round it, getting used to the clutch control and steering - once I got the hang of it there, it was so much easier on the roads

Behemoth
04-11-2005, 12:11
That's what I'm doing as well! My dad is gonna take me to the Industrial Estate so I can drive around and it will be dead quiet.

Jojo
04-11-2005, 12:17
Its definitely the best way to start - then you won't be quite so nervous when you go out on the road. The main thing though is to try and ignore other drivers when they drive close behind you - they tend to forget that they used to learn to drive. I'm pretty good and stay well back from learners - I just go close to the older generation who forget that a 30 limit means they can do 30, not 20 lol

willow
22-11-2005, 13:44
right guys its hopefully 3rd time lucky tomorrow!!!!!

keep your fingers crossed at 9:37 !!!!

22-11-2005, 13:50
*keeps fingers crossed* xx Good luck willow xx

Luna
22-11-2005, 14:41
oh good luck willow i'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Remember nad have a banana before you go :D

Jojo
22-11-2005, 15:43
Good luck Willow - My fingers are crossed for you :D :D

dddMac1
22-11-2005, 16:04
good Luck willow

Kim
22-11-2005, 16:12
Good luck:) *crosses fingers*

willow
22-11-2005, 18:09
thanks guys!!!! i will do my best!!!

i really hate bananas luna!!! but thanks!!!

willow
23-11-2005, 16:52
YAY!!!!! i PASSED!!!!!!!

11 minors!!! but i PASSED!!!!!!

Trinity
23-11-2005, 17:12
Fantastic - well done!

23-11-2005, 17:15
Omg!! :D Im so happy for you!! :cheer: Well done!!! :D:D:D

Kim
23-11-2005, 17:34