PDA

View Full Version : Home and Away Turns 30 today! Happy Birthday!

Pantherboy
17-01-2018, 04:51
Home and Away turns 30 today (17 January). Happy Birthday! BTTB has put together this excellent article for the occasion:

Home and Away - 30 Years.

Today marks 30 years since the first episode of Home and Away went to air, and to celebrate, we take you on a journey, beginning right at the start:

In the history of Australian television, there has only been one other soap opera to reach such an anniversary. Joining its celebrated rival in the history books is Home and Away – the Seven Network’s flagship drama. We, here at Back to the Bay, wish to reflect on how the show came to be, the hurdles that its hit and the eras that it’s had, whilst asking the important question: why has Home and Away continued to endure whilst many other shows have floundered?

How it all began…

If someone told you that Home and Away was born out of a desire to buy an ice cream, you’d call them crazy, but in fact, that’s how it all began.
Alan Bateman, the Head of Drama at the Seven Network, was driving through a country town in southern NSW during the mid-80s when he stopped into an ice cream shop to escape the heat and began a conversation with the locals about a new building on the town’s main street that was causing controversy.

“[It will be] a place for druggies, thieves and bludgers,” one local said.
“And prostitutes and poofters.”
“The scum of Sydney, it’ll all be here – it won’t be safe to go out after dark, you mark my words.”
Alan thought it was a gaol, but when he learnt that it was actually a home for foster children, he had an idea. In fact, he recalled that it was like he was a cartoon character, and a light bulb illuminated above his head.

“I saw then the outline for a serial,” Alan said in a 1989 interview.
“I had wanted to make a serial but I hate copycat television. I wanted to do something that really reflected the hopes, fears, challenges and ambience of young people in the 1980s. I believe young people are alienated to a certain extent nowadays. It is very tough growing up. They have to cope with unemployment and the family unit is a changing structure. Television shows were being written by middle-class, middle-aged people about what life used to be like, not what’s happening in the eighties.
Then in the country town I saw it. Nobody in the community wanted them to move in and I began to wonder how streetwise city kids would adapt to the new lifestyle. Suddenly I thought, there is my slice of life in a community. Some residents were violently opposed to what they saw as troublesome kids being dumped on their own doorstep. Others wanted to give them a go. It had all the elements of fine drama.”
From here, the idea was titled Refuge but sat in his bottom drawer as Neighbours was picked up by the Network. Despite its success later in its life, the Grundy-produced soap never hit the target numbers Seven was hoping for and they axed it…
Soon thereafter, Network Ten acquired the rights to Neighbours and successfully rebooted it. From here, it became obvious that Alan needed a series to rival it – and the idea of Refuge resurfaced!
Alan had his idea. With a group of writers around him, he began researching foster children – those who had been abused, unwanted and abandoned. Soon, the basic premise of the show had been fleshed out – and it all surrounded Tom and Pippa Fletcher and their six foster children.

However, like most series, there were some teething issues. The show had a pilot script written that was considered completely unworkable. So much so that the scriptwriter was paid in full, told thanks and goodbye, and Alan set out to find a replacement – he quickly asked Bevan Lee, the former Script Producer of Sons and Daughters, to take over.

“Having read the script, which was in my opinion appalling, I said that I could not doctor it – it was so fundamentally flawed I felt that I could only deliver them a better bad script if I used the original in any way,” Bevan said in his 2004 BTTB Q&A.
“But I said that I could write them a totally new script, with the story elements fundamentally reconfigured, if they delayed shooting by three weeks and gave me three weeks to write it. They agreed to this and I set to work.”
After the three weeks, Bevan delivered the script of Home and Away. It was new and improved, with the biggest difference being that Bobby Simpson was the outsider who, despite initially a nemesis, is accepted into the family. In the original script, she had come to Summer Bay already an established member of the family.

Despite the new script, the show could have been very different. The casting of Pippa Fletcher was one that wasn’t taken lightly. Many hours went into finding the right actress, with a shortlist of five eventually drawn up—including the likes of Debra Lawrance, whose time as Pippa would eventually come in 1990.
In the end, Carol Willesee, the wife of Australia’s most popular news anchor of the time Mike Willesee was chosen for the role. Producer John Holmes said that she had a big future in television.
The pilot began filming on a Monday in June 1987, but two days later a major problem arose. Yet to sign her contract, it transpired that Carol had underestimated the demands of a production schedule, hoping to work flexible office hours and be finished in time to pick her kids up from school. This was clearly not going to be feasible, and so John Holmes was forced to let Carol go and recast the role.
Carol’s sudden dismissal made more noise in the media than her hiring did, and the Network then had the arduous task of replacing her overnight. If it wasn’t for Vanessa Downing, another of the five shortlisted, who knows what would’ve happened.

Receiving a call late in the afternoon offering her the job, at 5:30 the next morning Vanessa was on-location at the Fletchers City Home in Balmain, sat in the make-up chair reading the script for the first time. The existing scenes were reshot and the pilot finally came together, wrapping towards the end of July.

Hard times ahead…

The movie-length pilot episode, written by Bevan Lee, debuted on the Seven Network at 6pm on Sunday, 17th January 1988.

Although the pilot was a success and had already led to the soap’s commissioning by the Seven Network in October 1987, the series wasn’t a ratings juggernaut to begin with.
Unlike Sons and Daughters and Neighbours, Home and Away was envisioned as a two-and-a-half hour weekly drama – meaning that all of the week’s stories were resolved by Friday’s episode, leaving no cliffhanger to bring audiences back the next week.
This foreign method proved fatal when the Network decided to axe the series.
“Six weeks in, the show was cancelled,” Bevan recalled.
“We begged for three more weeks, and that was granted. In that time, the things Roo did became more wicked with her pregnancy, and that was the shot in the arm the show needed – the ratings did begin to rise.”

For many years, the show went from strength to strength, however in 1994, when John Holmes returned to the Seven Network (after an absence of five years), he found that the show was in dire straits.
“The week’s major storyline was about Alf, Ailsa and Irene learning Scottish dancing,” John told the Official Home and Away magazine in 2009.
“If that is the big story of the week, then that is a big problem.
“So we [he and Louise Home, the Network Script Executive] knew we had to fix that – and fast.”
He explained that they brought in a new team, which consisted of Ray Harding and Greg Haddrick, who told strong, fast-paced stories, and from then on, the show went from strength to strength, with the occasional shot in the foot to send ratings zooming.
And despite some ups and downs in the following 20 years, the rest, as they say, is history…

Question Time

Over the years, there have been many changes behind the scenes as well. One of the most integral (and gruelling!) roles on the show is the Script Producer.
The Script Producer is traditionally the head of the in-house script department. Normally (and in the absence of a Script Executive), they are responsible for the creation of storylines and running the plotting room. The Script Producer takes the script after it’s written and edited, and has the final say over the scripts before they are released to production.
We asked a selection of former Script Producers the integral question: Why do you believe that Home and Away has stood the test of time? Here’s what they had to say:

Bevan Lee (1988-1989, 2004, 2008)

When I sat down to write the opening telemovie, it was beyond my comprehension, and I suspect that of everyone else involved, that the show would still be a healthy part of the Australian television landscape thirty years later. I believe it has survived the test of time because everyone who has worked on it has believed in the worth and value of the show, the worth and value of connecting with an audience with honesty and without pretension. I also think its survival has been helped by the commitment of the creative staff to allow the show to change with the times and remain relevant to them. And it has survived primarily through the loyal devotion of our fans, many of them not even born when the show launched. What an awesome and humbling thought that is to me, as part of the original creation.

Scott Taylor (1998-1999)

Home and Away has stood the test of time because the original premise was so well thought out. A quintessential Australian setting of a beach community, with a stable cast of adults taking in foster kids, allows a continual regeneration of young people coming of age. Summer Bay evokes holiday memories, with infinite story possibilities, and allows younger characters moving on to be a celebration, making way for the next chapter in the history of the Bay.

Dan Bennett (2005-2007, 2015-2017)

There are so many factors that have made Home and Away the long running success it’s been. Firstly, the backdrop. No other soap in the world has the stunning scenery Home and Away has to work with. From a merely visual perspective alone, the show is in a category all of its own. But that’s also especially true because of the top notch cast and crew who work on the show. Everyone wants the same thing – the best for the program – and that enthusiasm and commitment translates to the screen. The show has not been afraid to take risks and evolve as audience expectations changed across its 30 years, and avoiding becoming stagnant as so many shows often can has meant audiences have always had a reason to keep tuning in, right around the globe. To quote Kate Ritchie, because I think she said it best: “If I never did anything again, Home and Away is quite possibly the greatest thing I’ll ever do… in my heart.”

Sarah Walker (2007)

At an audience level – John Holmes always reminded us it’s about a community that pulls together against threats from the outside, a place where you would want to live, where it’s always summer. In terms of audience – it gives a sympathetic voice to people across a broad spectrum of its target audience – so different age groups can hear themselves reflected in the world. And in terms of industry – as a show it hasn’t been shackled by too many production restraints – all the crew and cast work relentlessly to make something impossible happen every week that still reflects a certain familiar slice of Australian life in a small beachside town.

Stephen Vagg (2010-2011)

I feel there are five main reasons as to why the show has stood the test of time – (a) a brilliantly simple, story-generative central concept; (b) consistently strong casting/performances; (c) excellent storylines; (d) high production values; and (e) an ability to re-invent itself and keep current while still honouring its past.

Home and Away, for three decades now, has been a staple on television – not just around Australia, but around the world. Through determination, hard work and brilliant storytelling, the show has been able to flourish, developing into many different eras – not one more or less important than another.

Happy 30th birthday, Home and Away.

Home and Away returns on Monday, 29th January at 7pm on Channel Seven.

Pantherboy
17-01-2018, 05:30
Kate Ritchie (Sally Fletcher) celebrates Home and Away's 30th birthday:

Kate Ritchie celebrates Home and Away's 30th birthday with cute throwback snap.

Kate was there from day one!

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/home-and-away-stars-celebrate-show-30th-birthday-44282

Back to the Bay! Kate Ritchie reveals her first EVER Home and Away script she received 30 years ago... and you won't believe the amazing condition it's in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5276765/Kate-Ritchie-reveals-Home-Awayscript.html

....and Ada Nicodemou shares a throwback snap:

They haven't aged a day! Home And Away's Ada Nicodemou shares a sweet throwback snap of herself and long-time pal Lynne McGranger taken 18 years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5276937/Home-Aways-Ada-Nicodemou-Lynne-McGranger-throwback.html

Pantherboy
17-01-2018, 22:14
Some more articles on H&'s 30th Anniversary, with plenty of old photos & looking back on memorable moments etc:

Home and Away turns 30!

Flamin’ hell.

It was 30 years ago today that Tom Fletcher (Roger Oakley) and Pippa (Vanessa Downing) were first running a caravan park with their foster children Frank (Alex Papps), Carly (Sharyn Hodgson), Steven (Adam Willits), Lynn (Helena Bozich) and Sally (Kate Ritchie).............

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/01/home-and-away-turns-30.html

from TV Week:

The biggest moments in Home And Away history.

The Aussie icon is hitting the big 3-0.

Strewth! Home And Away is three decades old! It is, in fact, the second-longest running drama series in Australia. The show has brought plenty of laughter and tears and has launched the careers of actors and actresses who have gone on to become huge stars in Hollywood.

To celebrate 30 drama-packed years on air, we look back at H&A's 30 most memorable moments.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/home-and-aways-biggest-moments-in-30-years-44342

From weddings and births, to a mystery stalker and a VERY raunchy pole dancing scene: Relive Home And Away’s most memorable moments as the TV soap turns 30.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5278991/Home-Aways-memorable-moments-past-30-years.html

Home and Away to mark 30th anniversary with huge story for Alf Stewart.

The show stalwart is about to take centre stage.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/home-and-away/news/a847688/home-and-away-30th-anniversary-alf-stewart-storyline/

...and The Daily Telegraph today:

Summer Bay to Hollywood: Aussie soap Home and Away awash in A-listers.

IN terms of producing Hollywood stars and homegrown talent, Summer Bay must surely be Australia’s most over-achieving suburb.

The fictional beachside town, which was brought to life by the Seven network 30 years ago in a little show called Home and Away, has gone on to produce some of our biggest
A-list stars.

Yesterday, actor and radio host Kate Ritchie, who spent 20 years of her life on Home and Away, paid homage to the show sharing a series of throwback photos from her first day on set on January 17, 1988.

“First official day of shooting on a show no one had yet heard of. 1987. Balmain backstreets,” she wrote next to a pic of herself, aged just eight.

The late Heath Ledger, Chris Hemsworth, Isla Fisher, Naomi Watts and an array of other big screen heavyweights, also started their careers on Home and Away and went on to make it to the big time.

Ray Meagher, who plays Alf, has been at the helm of Summer Bay ever since day one and let slip he nearly didn’t sign on to do the series.

“We filmed the pilot in a couple of weeks and then they said they were going to make it a series. I thought ‘that’s good, might be three months work’, but they wanted me to sign for
two years,” Meagher, 73, told Confidential.

“I said no, I’m not signing for two years, that’s a lifetime. I refused. That was 30 years ago. And I’m still here.”

As for how much longer he will stay in the Bay: “I probably won’t do another 30, I don’t think the good Lord would be that kind to me,” he said. “I might have an answer on that shortly. I’ve got to meet to discuss any future contracts, it might be all over then, or it might go a bit longer.”

British and Irish media outlets and fans also celebrated the show hitting the big 3-0, heralding their three decade “love affair” with the program that still airs twice a day on RTÉ, Ireland’s national public service broadcaster. International fans took to Twitter to describe the show’s impact on their lives. One Irish fan tweeted “we named two new calves Shane and Angel”. Another said “two girls in primary school took Angel and Finlay as their confirmation names”. While Hazel O’Toole recalled every pair of 16-year-olds in 1996 fighting over who got to be Shannon and who got to be Selina.

lizann
17-01-2018, 23:22
you know we belong together you and me forever and ever, no matter where you are, you're my guiding star

30 years i feel old

TaintedLove
25-04-2018, 22:07
We are nearly into our 5th month of H&A's 30th anniversary year, and I haven`t been all that impressed so far.
Comparing it to Neighbours 30th with returnees, storylines, etc - H&A is a washout so far.
I`m so disappointed
:(

Pantherboy
26-04-2018, 03:23
We are nearly into our 5th month of H&A's 30th anniversary year, and I haven`t been all that impressed so far.
Comparing it to Neighbours 30th with returnees, storylines, etc - H&A is a washout so far.
I`m so disappointed
:(

Yes, I have to agree TaintedLove, especially with the Martha 'returns from the dead' storyline. It remains to be seen if there will be any more to it, but it would appear that it is all over after only a few weeks - a big letdown if you ask me.

(PS. I have been trying to reply to/send you a pm, re some TV shows but it keeps telling me that your inbox is full)

TaintedLove
27-04-2018, 02:40
I`m so sorry P-Boy. I will rectify that right now.

Pantherboy
05-07-2018, 05:55
Channel 7 is going to air a special 30th Anniversary tribute to the show titled "Endless Summer – 30 Years of Home and Away", and it will premiere on Channel Seven on Tuesday July 17 at 7.30pm, in Australia. Not sure if/when it will air in the UK.

(Hopefully you can view the promo video in the link below. If not, I am sure it will appear on youtube at some stage)

Home and Away to celebrate 30th anniversary with ‘Endless Summer’ special
'It’s a huge honour'

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/home-and-away-30-years-anniversary-endless-summer-special-49689?utm_source=facebook

With the most TV WEEK Logie Awards of any television series under their belt - a record-breaking 46 - it's safe to say Home and Away is one of Australia's most popular drama series. Of course, it's one of the longest-running drama series, too.

The H&A team are celebrating their 30th anniversary this year, with the first-ever episode airing in January 1988.

In honour of the impressive milestone Channel Seven is set to air a special tribute to the show, Endless Summer – 30 Years of Home and Away.

Hosted by Sunday Night's Steve Pennells, the anniversary presentation will reminisce on the beloved soap with the help of some of its biggest stars.

H&A alums Melissa George, Dannii Minogue, Kate Ritchie, Steve Peacocke, Bec Hewitt, Nicolle Dickson, Alex Papps, Dieter Brummer and many more will dish on the on and off-screen dramas, romances, feuds and laughs for the very first time.

Not to mention, there's promise of a surprise reunion and astonishing revelations about the show.

The anniversary special comes off the back of H&A veteran Ray Meagher's win at the 2018 Logies.

As he accepted the award for Most Popular Actor on Sunday night, Ray thanked the show's loyal viewers for sticking with them for the past 30 years.

"It's a huge honour, the fact we've been going for 30 years and people are still watching us and still interested in the show is just wonderful," he tells TV WEEK. "It does mean a lot to us."

Ray continues, "Like everybody else we go to work every day and just do it, and you lose sight of the fact that if there weren't people out there who were watching, we don't go to work every day.

"We don't have a job if there aren't people watching us and we're incredibly grateful to all of those people who have watched us for all the years."

Endless Summer – 30 Years of Home and Away will premiere on Channel Seven on Tuesday July 17 at 7.30pm.

...and
https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/tv/home-and-away-celebrates-30-years-with-tv-special/ar-AAzAPoF?ocid=spartanntp

Pantherboy
06-07-2018, 00:01
Channel Five will be showing Endless Summer – 30 Years of Home and Away on the same day as Australia, at 7pm on 5Star in the UK.

Home and Away will air a special tribute show to celebrate 30th anniversary
Featuring Melissa George, Dannii Minogue... and many more!

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/home-and-away/news/a861000/home-and-away-special-tribute-show-anniversary/

Home and Away will air a special tribute show to mark its 30th anniversary later this month.

The Aussie soap will honour the milestone by airing a nostalgic programme for fans, looking back on some of the greatest Summer Bay moments – both on screen and off.

Hosted by Sunday Night's Steve Pennells, Endless Summer – 30 Years of Home and Away will see some of the show's biggest stars reminisce on the past 30 years.

Cast alumni such as Melissa George, Dannii Minogue, Kate Ritchie, Steve Peacocke, Bec Hewitt, Nicolle Dickson, Alex Papps, Dieter Brummer and many more will be dishing the dirt on the on and off-screen dramas, romances, feuds and laughs for the very first time.

There is also said to be a surprise reunion, along with a few shock secrets and revelations about the Summer Bay soap. We can't wait!

In even better news, the tribute show will be airing in both Australia and England on the same day – Tuesday, July 17.

Endless Summer – 30 Years of Home and Away will air on Channel Seven at 7.30pm in Australia and at 7pm on 5Star in the UK.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5.