PDA

View Full Version : London Explosions

squarelady
07-07-2005, 10:29
I know I shouldn't be posting but there have been a series of explosions in London.

Explosions on three buses.

Scotland Yard confirmed explosions at Russel Square, Aldgate East, London Liverpool Street, Tavistock Square, Edgeware Road, Moorgate and Kings Cross.

Talking about 100 people per carriage on the trains affected because it's rush hour. Local hotels are being evacuated as are ALL train stations.

It's on BBC1 and ITV3 breaking news now.

squarelady
07-07-2005, 10:32
Eye witnesses report explosions and people covered in blood.

Bus heading towards Russell Square, entire roof blown off. People injured. - Helicoptors are in the air around London.

Hasn't been confirmed it's terrorists yet but there are a series of explosions. Concerned there are other devices. People have been told to stay inside and close the windows near the incidents.

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 10:48
OMG i was just listening to that on the radio, its sad

Katy
07-07-2005, 10:57
yeh i have just seen that on breaking news. It could be anything. Lets hope theres no deaths.

Behemoth
07-07-2005, 11:04
I'm watching it on Sky News now, they think it could be terrorism.

Luna
07-07-2005, 11:05
I was expecting something like this to happen this weekend. With the G8 thing going on a good majority of the police force is up here in scotland!! No only in Edinburgh but in glasgow too stationed at almost every corner. I do hope that no one is hurt or killed but i was expecting it

Katy
07-07-2005, 11:09
i've got it on BBC 1

It says the emergengy services are responding well. The main thought is that its terrorism

Behemoth
07-07-2005, 11:26
I know I shouldn't be posting

Why shouldn't you be posting?

Katy
07-07-2005, 11:32
al queda has been mentioned

Behemoth
07-07-2005, 11:39
al queda has been mentioned Not surprising really. They probably have something to do with it, not that I'm an expert or anything.

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 11:50
more than likely they do

daisy38
07-07-2005, 11:50
Heart 106.2 have just said its a Co-ordinated Terrorist attack! Tony Blair is making a statement at 12.00!

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 11:51
Heart 106.2 have just said its a Co-ordinated Terrorist attack! Tony Blair is making a statement at 12.00!

what does that mean Co-ordinated Terrorist Attack?

What channel is the statement on?

Behemoth
07-07-2005, 11:53
It just means that it was planned and carried out by terrorists, not just someone deciding to plant a bomb

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 11:55
thats mad how can people do that to other people

daisy38
07-07-2005, 11:56
What channel is the statement on?

It will be live on all news channels and there will probably be a news special on ITV and BBC1

Katy
07-07-2005, 11:56
because they think they have the power to do it.

angelblue
07-07-2005, 12:13
Hi l live in london i am stuck at home cant go anywhere i hope everyone is safe take care :lol:

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 12:16
It will be live on all news channels and there will probably be a news special on ITV and BBC1

i seen it it was on our rte channel we only have 2 channels here in work

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 12:17
Hi l live in london i am stuck at home cant go anywhere i hope everyone is safe take care :lol:

are you near to were it happened

angelblue
07-07-2005, 12:18
I am not far i meant to be going on a trip today for 3 days but i cant go because i cant get to king cross

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 12:26
Yeah id stay at home in anyway, if i lived in london id be out the back garden making a bunker right now

Meh
07-07-2005, 12:52
Yeah id stay at home in anyway, if i lived in london id be out the back garden making a bunker right now

thats exactly what the terrorists want. Live in fear.

phils little sister
07-07-2005, 12:57
id rather live in fear than die

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:06
All those that died in WWI and WWII, they died so we could enjoy our freedom and not live in a state of perpetual fear.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:13
we shouldnt have to live in fear, thats what generations fought and died for- freedom, democracy and peace

Katy
07-07-2005, 13:18
we shouldnt have to live in fear but we should be able to live thinking we are safe.

Trinity
07-07-2005, 13:19
It is inhuman to wage war on innocent people who are just going about their daily business. What can the terrorists hope to achieve? All they are doing is distracting attention from the MPH campaign at the G8 - how is that going to help anyone.

I agree with GR and Rach - we cannot live in fear.

Luna
07-07-2005, 13:21
I am at work at the moment in glasgow - even though nothing has happened here half of the offices are now empty with people too teriffied to stay in the city centre

Trinity
07-07-2005, 13:25
You are joking? I am in Edinburgh. I am waiting to hear from my husband who flew down to london on the red eye this morning. I have emailed his blackberry several times but still haven't heard from him

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:26
It is inhuman to wage war on innocent people who are just going about their daily business.

That is so true and can be interpreted in so many different ways.

Emmak2005
07-07-2005, 13:29
My sister is living in north london at the moment. Thank goodness she wasn't catching the train back today. I do feel for the two people that have already died in this tragic incident. Which has now been confirmed as a terrorist attack, rather than just a fault as announced earlier on. Apparently it all kicked off around 8.30am this morning. It's just a shame this had to happen after yesterday's good news about the Olympics.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:30
its disgraceful, after jubilation at getting the olympics yesterday, we have been rocked by this, talk about second thoughts????!!!!!

its horrible how can you justify this??

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:31
The olympic celebrations have been cancelled.

Katy
07-07-2005, 13:32
president Bush is speaking live from gleneagles.

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:33
There is no justification at all. Tit for tat retaliation is not the way to go - and we're supposed to be the civilised world. Disgraceful.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:33
i cant get to a tv

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:35
president Bush is speaking live from gleneagles.

Not that I'm hearing him live, but let me guess the keywords he's gonna be using: terrorists, freedom, democaracy

He's part of the problem

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:36
definatley

Katy
07-07-2005, 13:36
yeh something like that. He feels for the people of London, right to be free. etc etc.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:38
everything has gone to pot (nothern speak) in the last 11 days we have had three people die as a result of hooded youths and now this

we need to work on internal policy as well as foreign

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:39
So the right to be free includes draconian measures such as ID cards, detention with no legal recourse or representation. Doesn't sound too free to me.

Trinity
07-07-2005, 13:39
It is like some mad cycle. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. We don't negotiate with terrorists, they only communicate through violence and the west retaliates. When is the human race going to realise that it is only through talking and compromise that any consensus is reached? I despair.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:43
So the right to be free includes draconian measures such as ID cards, detention with no legal recourse or representation. Doesn't sound too free to me.

i'm not saying that, but something needs to be done. people need to start talking to each other, i agree with trinity

Katy
07-07-2005, 13:44
Most of the injured are tourists apparently.

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:48
Bush has said "the war on terror must go on".

FFS, define the concrete enemy, not some abstract notion. McCarthy anyone?

.:SpIcYsPy:.
07-07-2005, 13:49
Im not in fear of being bombed since I dont live that near to central London! I will just be sad for all the people put there who suffer of knwoing they might be blasted, I give all my respect to them. But I will be worried, worried but not feared!! I hate them Al Quedies or whatever they are. Disgusting is them... they can't talk to they decide to bomb us... stupid.

Bad Wolf
Bush has said "the war on terror must go on".

FFS, define the concrete enemy, not some abstract notion. McCarthy anyone?

isnt iran next on the list????

Meh
i'm not saying that, but something needs to be done. people need to start talking to each other, i agree with trinity

They need to realise that they can't win by bombing the living daylights out of each other.

Trinity
07-07-2005, 13:50
One problem seems to be that solutions never seem to be equally fair to all. Think about Israel. Before 1945 most of the land less Israeles were considered terrorists or freedom fighters depending which side you were on. Post war, and in part resulting from the terrible hollocaust, Israel was set up. Thus righting one wrong, but causing another - what about the Palestinians? You would think that the Israeles would have empathy with the palestinians and that the 2 peoples could live in harmony side by side? No way, the seems to HAVE to be a winner, and the winner has to rule and gloat and deprive others of the freedoms that they themselves fought for. WHY????

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:50
thats been proven not to work- we wouldnt be in this mess if it did. the government needs to get a realistic grip tho

Meh
07-07-2005, 13:51
isnt iran next on the list????

iran, korea - will it never end?

Katy
07-07-2005, 13:52
bush should never have gone to war

07-07-2005, 13:55
I blame him.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 13:56
iran, korea - will it never end?

not likely as long as that gits in power. bombs dont work, they just annoy the "enemy"(mystic evil do-ers)- a generic term because no one can find them or pin point who has done what

its going to mean another war we can't afford- you can see it now, the olymic budget will get halfed as money goes on security

Meh
One problem seems to be that solutions never seem to be equally fair to all. Think about Israel. Before 1945 most of the land less Israeles were considered terrorists or freedom fighters depending which side you were on. Post war, and in part resulting from the terrible hollocaust, Israel was set up. Thus righting one wrong, but causing another - what about the Palestinians? You would think that the Israeles would have empathy with the palestinians and that the 2 peoples could live in harmony side by side? No way, the seems to HAVE to be a winner, and the winner has to rule and gloat and deprive others of the freedoms that they themselves fought for. WHY????

That actually is the reason that we are in this position. The west's support of Israel, the middle easts resentment, plus the fact the oil is controlled by the west though dictators. Eventually its all going to blow up in our faces.

Katy
its not completly his fault but i think he is partly to blame.

Luna
07-07-2005, 13:57
This was just posted on msnnbcnews

CAIRO, Egypt - A group calling itself “The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe” posted a claim of responsibility for Thursday’s blasts in London, saying they were in retaliation for Britain’s involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The authenticity of the message could not be immediately confirmed.

The statement, which also threatened attacks in Italy and Denmark, was published on a Web site popular with Islamic militants, according to Elaph, a secular Arabic-language news Web site, and Der Spiegel magazine in Berlin, which published the text on their Web sites.

“Rejoice, Islamic nation. Rejoice, Arab world. The time has come for vengeance against the Zionist crusader government of Britain in response to the massacres Britain committed in Iraq and Afghanistan,” said the statement, translated by The Associated Press in Cairo. The AP was unable to access the Web site where it was posted, which was closed quickly after the reports.

The group al-Qaida in Europe claimed responsibility for the last major terror attack in Europe: a string of bombs that hit commuter trains in Madrid, Spain in March 2004, killing 191 people. Two days after that attack, a video was found in a trash can outside a Madrid mosque with a statement purported to be from the group’s spokesman, called by the nickname “Abu Dujan al Afghani.”

In the new statement, the group said “the heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west.”

“We warned the British government and the British people repeatedly. We have carried out our promise and carried out a military attack in Britain after great efforts by the heroic mujahedeen over a long period to ensure its success.”

“We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan,” the statement went on.

It was signed “The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe.”

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 14:00
denmark??? why??? they are hardly hot on the political agenda

Meh
07-07-2005, 14:03
Denmark?
"The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe"?????

2+2 is making 5 all of a sudden

Katy
07-07-2005, 14:04
2 + 2 is making 5 all of a sudden.

Everyone is going to claim they did it though arent they. Orgonisations such as al quaida

Luna
07-07-2005, 14:05
No they have warned Denmark and Italy that the same will happen to them - they must have troops out there too

Katy
07-07-2005, 14:08
They must do i did nt realise that they had troops out there.

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 14:09
it doenst sound to realistic to be honest

Luna
07-07-2005, 14:10
Yeah i thought that too - it was a bit quick - just thought i would post it anyway

Katy
07-07-2005, 14:10
but london underground getting bombed doesnt sound realistic, and thats happened. I think people are looking into it too soon. Its chaos down there and i think it will be a while before anyone knows the truth if it ever comes out.

Meh
07-07-2005, 14:15
I just pray that everyone is rational and objective in these hard times. We don't want to pander to the xenophobic, racist or extreme right wing groups.

Katy
07-07-2005, 14:17
yes i know what you mean. We need to be really careful what we say now

Luna
07-07-2005, 14:18
I just pray that everyone is rational and objective in these hard times. We don't want to pander to the xenophobic, racist or extreme right wing groups.

I hope not we had enough of that after 9/11

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 14:22
London mobile networks jammed

Mobile phone networks in London have been overwhelmed following the blasts in London.

Networks were running at near capacity as those caught up in the chaos called family and friends.

The surge in the number of calls being made meant that many people had trouble getting through first time.

Vodafone said it had reserved some network capacity for the emergency service workers dealing with the disaster.

Domino effect

Scores of people have been hurt after explosions on the Underground network and a double-decker bus in London.

Prime minister Tony Blair, speaking from the G8 summit in Scotland, said it was clear it had been a terrorist attack timed to co-incide with the summit.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

"Because all our switches are at capacity, we need to ensure police and emergency services can communicate," said a Vodafone spokesperson.

"So we're having to free up a proportion of our network so normal customers won't be able to use a proportion of their local base station."

Orange, O2 and 3 said there was "congestion" on their networks making it hard to get through first try.

A spokeswoman for Virgin Mobile, which piggybacks on the T-Mobile network, said: "There are so many people making calls at the moment it is taking a while for people to get through. The volume of calls has really surged."

Many of those caught up in the disaster who found that the mobile networks were down reportedly went into shops to beg the use of a phone.

Terrorism expert Professor Michael Clarke from the International Policy Institute at King's College London, speculated that the problems might be a security measure.

"I've heard rumours that the mobile network is down, possibly shutdown," he said.

"This could be because the MO (modus operandi) in Madrid was by setting off devices with mobile phones."

Essential calls

The problems with the mobile networks has had a knock-on effect on fixed lines phones.

A spokesman for BT said that so many people were turning to fixed line phones once they found that the mobile network was down that it was running a near capacity too. "Due to the sheer volume of calls, the network is experiencing some congestion problems," he said. "We're asking that people only make essential calls to limit the congestion," said the spokesman.

Luna
07-07-2005, 14:23
Thats statement i posted has now been confirmed by bbc news

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 14:23
really??

Luna
07-07-2005, 14:24
Yeah it's on their website now http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm

Katy
07-07-2005, 14:26
i still cant believe its happened.

Behemoth
07-07-2005, 15:12
It's just unbelievable that something like this could happen. Al-Quaeda have issued a statement saying it was them.

willow
07-07-2005, 15:18
It's just unbelievable that something like this could happen. Al-Quaeda have issued a statement saying it was them.

its just awful,

i have heard that al quaeda have taken responsibility, on radio one news a little while ago

Behemoth
07-07-2005, 15:20
A group calling itself "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe" posted a claim of responsibility for Thursday's blasts in London, saying they were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The authenticity of the message could not be immediately confirmed.

The statement, which also threatened attacks in Italy and Denmark, was published on a Web site popular with Islamic militants, according to Elaph, a secular Arabic-language news Web site, and Der Spiegel magazine in Berlin, which published the text on their Web sites.

"Rejoice, Islamic nation. Rejoice, Arab world. The time has come for vengeance against the Zionist crusader government of Britain in response to the massacres Britain committed in Iraq and Afghanistan," said the statement, translated by The Associated Press in Cairo. The AP was unable to access the Web site where it was posted, which was closed quickly after the reports.

The group al-Qaida in Europe claimed responsibility for the last major terror attack in Europe: a string of bombs that hit commuter trains in Madrid, Spain in March 2004, killing 191 people. Two days after that attack, a video was found in a trash can outside a Madrid mosque with a statement purported to be from the group's spokesman, called by the nickname "Abu Dujan al Afghani."

In the new statement, the group said "the heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west."

"We warned the British government and the British people repeatedly. We have carried out our promise and carried out a military attack in Britain after great efforts by the heroic mujahedeen over a long period to ensure its success."

"We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan," the statement went on.

It was signed "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe."

Bad Wolf
07-07-2005, 15:40
More than 30 die in London blasts

A series of bomb attacks on London's transport network have killed more than 30 people and injured scores more.

There were three explosions on the Underground - which police said left 33 dead - and one on a double-decker bus in which an unknown number died.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, who has returned to London from the G8 summit, has described the attack as "barbaric". An Islamist website has posted a statement - purportedly from al-Qaeda - claiming it was behind the attacks.

US President George Bush told reporters at the G8 Summit in Gleneagles that "the war on terror goes on."

The Queen said she was "deeply shocked" and sent her sympathy to those affected.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the blasts occurred between Aldgate East and Liverpool Street tube stations; between Russell Square and King's Cross tube stations; at Edgware Road tube station; and on a bus at Tavistock Square.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659957.stm)

"We will not yield to these terrorists, we will find them, we will bring them to justice," he said.

Paul Woodrow, of the London Ambulance Service, is in Russell Square near the bus which exploded.

"At King's Cross station there is a rescue operation in the tunnel down on the line," he said.

"Although we cannot confirm casualties - it is too early - we are dealing with large numbers of casualties."

Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick confirmed 33 people had died in the blasts on the Underground. He said it was not yet known how many died in the bus blast.

In other developments:

The officer in charge of policing the G8 summit said many of the 1,500 Metropolitan Police officers in Scotland would be urgently redeployed to London

New Olympics minister Tessa Jowell said celebrations to mark the homecoming from Singapore of the successful London Olympic bid team have been cancelled

Pope Benedict said the blasts were "barbaric acts against humanity" in a message to the Archbishop of Westminster Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor

54 state schools were closed in Westminster

Mobile phone services across London were jammed with all major networks reporting problems as people tried to contact relatives and friends. A spokeswoman for Vodafone said the emergency services were being given priority.

Some 208 casualties were taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, with 26 people admitted - 13 are in theatre and another three are in intensive care.

The city's St Mary's Hospital said it was dealing with 26 injured people, including four with critical injuries and eight in a serious condition.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659243.stm)

Mr Paddick confirmed police were looking into whether the bus blast was the work of a suicide bomber.

But, he added: "It could as easily be an explosive device left on the bus as the work of a suicide bomber. We are not able to determine which it was yet."

London police chief Sir Ian Blair urged people to stay where they were and not to call emergency services unless it was a life-threatening situation.

He reassured the public that an emergency plan was in place and the situation was "steadily coming under control".

London Mayor Ken Livingstone, speaking from Singapore before flying back to the UK, said Londoners would not be divided by a "cowardly attack".

He said it was an "indiscriminate" attempt at slaughter with no consideration for age or religion.

All London Underground services have been suspended indefinitely and bus services in central London (Zone One) have been halted.

Early reports had suggested a power surge could be to blame for explosions on the Underground but this was later discounted.

Describing the bus blast in Tavistock Square, witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip through the vehicle.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double-decker bus was in the air," she said.

She said the bus had been travelling from Euston to Russell Square and was "packed" with people turned away from Tube stops. "It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air." she said. One caller to BBC Five Live said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines".

Luna
07-07-2005, 15:52
A girl i work beside's brother works in Hethrow and Terrminal 3 has just been evacuated

Katy
07-07-2005, 15:54
your joking. so they think it will hit the airport as well. Its never ending.

willow
this is awful!!!

Luna
yeah he just phoned to tell her - it could just be to be safe but then why only one terrminal

Katy
07-07-2005, 15:58
it could get even worse if the airports involved. Whats going on around the country is there any like warnings or anything.

07-07-2005, 16:01
The team behind London's successful bid to host the 2012 Olympics have said celebrations on their return have been cancelled after the terror attacks.
The team are in Singapore at the moment where the vote took place, and will get back to the UK on Friday.

Olympics minister Tessa Jowell said the plans for "farewell and arrival celebrations have been cancelled".

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said the blasts will not change the decision to award London the Games.

Olympic chiefs have offered sympathy to Prime Minister Tony Blair and Mayor Ken Livingstone over the explosions in London.

Mayor Livingston said in Singapore: "I said yesterday to the IOC that this city of London is the greatest in the world because everyone lives side by side in harmony.

Prime Minister Tony Blair and Lord Coe
"Londoners will stand together in solidarity around those who have been injured and those that have been bereaved, and that is why I'm proud to be the mayor of the city."

London 2012 spokesman Mike Lee expressed "horror and revulsion" at what had happened.

horseygal90
07-07-2005, 16:12
Stupid ****ing ********. I'd like to get my hands on them.

Hope everyone from here's ok (haven't read the rest of the thread)

hannah-mj
07-07-2005, 16:27
i have been watching this all day in school , its soo sad :(

willow
07-07-2005, 17:02
i had the radio on all day at work, my customers were comming in saying my husband/son/daughter is in london you could see the worry in thier faces!!
i just wanted to cry!!

Debs
07-07-2005, 17:11
what a horrid day! it really is awful.

my uncle works in london and i spent all the morning trying to get hold of my mum to see if he was ok.

luckily he decided to do a work from home day

true.moon
07-07-2005, 17:13
i know i heard i was shocked
thye think its alkieda
some others think it is france!!
you?

willow
07-07-2005, 17:15
france are not happy about the olympics but i don't think they would bomb us!!!

07-07-2005, 17:16
I thought it was France at first but if they haven't got families in London they may as well be backing them up!! Bu if they are that shellfish :p Shellfish lol... anyways erm yeah but if that happened to Paris I would be angry at them for winning but then I will change my manner towards the terroist and be angry at them!!

true.moon
07-07-2005, 17:16
who do you think it is now

07-07-2005, 17:17
I just found al qudie or alkieda is spelt like al-Qaeda which is the right way lol. But it is them they said so themselves!!

07-07-2005, 17:18
So I say its al-Qaueda since they said so themselves plus its belvieable since they always do attacks to get what they want... but never suceed.

true.moon
07-07-2005, 17:18
and me

angelblue
07-07-2005, 17:39
Is anyone else really finding a weird and depressing day after everything that has happened :lol:

squarelady
07-07-2005, 17:40
Why shouldn't you be posting?

I didn't want to step on the toes of the people that run the specific forum (News forum)

willow
07-07-2005, 17:44
Is anyone else really finding a weird and depressing day after everything that has happened :lol:

i am feeling really weird,

07-07-2005, 17:46
I didn't want to step on the toes of the people that run the specific forum (News forum)
Hunny they are robots!!

true.moon
me too i have a history report to finish by tommorow and if i dont hand it in tommorow i will get an afterschool!!!
im doping it now!!

Im feeling down too!!

true.moon
07-07-2005, 17:47
Hunny they are robots!!lol true :rotfl: :lol:

.:Kitz:.
07-07-2005, 19:18
omg this is awful. I just got back from a great athletics tournement and heard this news. its just horrible!!!

true.moon
07-07-2005, 19:57
i no tradgic

Jemma
07-07-2005, 20:17
I heard at school and we left the radio on in our lessons. People were crying because their parents work up in central london and we couldnt get through because the phone lines were so crowded, but thankfully I think they are all ok. I can't beleive it, the pictures of the bus with its top ripped off are horrible! It's such a contrast to yesterday when everyone was celebrating and so happy cos we'd won the bid. People are sick to do this deliberatly to kill innocent people

Treacle
08-07-2005, 14:49
This is absolutely disgusting. I am outraged. My heart only goes out to those suffering as a result of this vile attack.

Luna
08-07-2005, 14:52
This is absolutely disgusting. I am outraged. My heart only goes out to those suffering as a result of this vile attack.

I totally agree but were we all actually that suprised that something like this haapened the same week as the G8 and Live 8?

Treacle
08-07-2005, 14:55
I totally agree but were we all actually that suprised that something like this haapened the same week as the G8 and Live 8?
T'is very strange.

Luna
08-07-2005, 15:01
i also find it very funny that the american transport system got put up to orange alert and have post a policew officer on ever underground train. while this morning on GMTV the reporter said when he arrived at one of the stations the were only two stationed outside no other security was in place...

di marco
09-07-2005, 10:27
i feel so sorry for the victims and their families, i cant even begin to imagine what theyre going through. these people are horrid and disgusting, how could you do something for that. i would also like to say that i have a lot of respect for the emergency services and hospital staff

horseygal90
09-07-2005, 14:51
I heard at school and we left the radio on in our lessons. People were crying because their parents work up in central london and we couldnt get through because the phone lines were so crowded, but thankfully I think they are all ok.

We were in the middle of International Day - (for disabled teenagers to come and spend a day in 'France' as most won't live long enough to get there :( ) and it was on the radio, we were trying to prepare 150 plates of food at the time and there were only 15 of us. One of the girls couldn't get hold of her dad (she got him in the end, he'd stayed at home) and our Food tech teacher had to try and find her daughter. Some how we managed to get all the plates made up, dunno how though.

The emergency services have been brilliant, though I wish they hadn't been needed.

di marco
09-07-2005, 17:47
The emergency services have been brilliant, though I wish they hadn't been needed.

i wish they hadnt been needed too, but i agree theyve been excellent. i know its there job but i know i wouldnt be able to have done anything like that, i really admire their determination

squarelady
11-07-2005, 22:23
Just wanted to ask peoples honest opinion on something. Do you think it would be disrespectful to travel through one of the stations affected so soon after the bombings knowing they are still recovering bodies?

Just something one of my friends said has really bothered me and I wanted to know what people's individual opinions were.

Treacle
11-07-2005, 22:30
It depends where you want to go and for what reason. If it's important you must go. I honestly do not feel it would be so disrespectful but I've never really thought about it in great depth.

squarelady
11-07-2005, 22:40
Thanks for your opinion WQ! :D

alan45
12-07-2005, 01:14
Sometime some of us are going to have to pass through the affected stations. Always spare a thought for the innocent victims of world terrorism

Jojo
13-07-2005, 10:52
We have GOT to get on with our lives - if we stop trying to go about our daily lives as normally as possible, these terrorists have won!! Like Alan says, as long as we spare a thought for the poor people and their families who have lost their lives in these tragedies, it wouldn't be disrespectful to pass through the stations and areas where these atrocities have happened - the only way it would be disrespectful would be if you were going there just to "rubber neck" and I would hope that in times like this, that would not happen.

Keating's babe
13-07-2005, 10:58
I don't think it's disrespectful. I used to get the tube but stopped as I never really liked it and don't intend to get the tube again. For the people that don't mind getting the tube - then they shouldn't stop going about their normal business. The terrorists are just pure evil - and my heart goes out to the victims and their families.

di marco
13-07-2005, 20:14
i dont think its disrespectful either, as long as you remember all the victims then thats alright. in our assembly at school on tuesday we had a few minutes of silence for them and it was good to see that everyone was quiet and that never normally happens. i agree, if you dont get on with your life as normal then the terrorists have won as thats what they want. if you dont get the tube in london cos of fear of another attack then youre going to have to walk, and more people get run over and die so you getting run over while walking instead of getting on the tube in case it happens again is a much higher probability

alan45
13-07-2005, 22:42
Just remember ALL the victims of terrorism and we British as well as our cousins across the pond have had more than our fair share. - God bless them all

Trinity
13-07-2005, 22:55
I think that the people who continue their daily routine, and don't let the terror threat change their way of life, are really showing respect in the bravest way. They are honouring the dead by resisting the threats. To allow this obsenity to change our way of life is to allow the terrorists to win. I am an atheist, I find it difficult to find the words that mean the same as Alan's in a humanist way. Respect and empathy are key. How can we achieve a society where everyone has the right to freedon of expression, religeous or not? And how do we achieve our freedoms without curtailing those of others?