PDA

View Full Version : BBC Licence Fee To Be Abolished???

Perdita
16-11-2014, 18:02
The BBC has responded to fresh reports of plans by MPs to abolish the corporation's licence fee.

A new report published by the Sunday Express alleges that as many as 50 MPs are backing a plan to scrap the licence fee in favour of an opt-in subscription fee.

The BBC has now offered a response to insist that the continuation of the licence fee remains "vital" in keeping hit shows like Doctor Who and EastEnders on the air.

A comment published on the BBC's Media Centre website read: "At just £2.80 a week the BBC Licence Fee is excellent value for money - only this weekend newspapers have been reporting the rising costs of subscription services.

"It's vital that programmes like EastEnders, Strictly, Sherlock, Doctor Who and Match of the Day can been watched by everyone - not a select few; and support for the Licence Fee has actually risen by 22% since 2004 and remains the most popular way of funding the BBC."

Harriet Harman - deputy leader of the Labour Party - said in June that an extensive re-evaluation of the BBC's licence fee could be in store in the future.

maidmarian
16-11-2014, 18:31
Could have picked a better selection of
Programmes to support the case.
At least didnt mention Jeremy
Clarkson as a plus.

I dont object as such to the fee ;
there are some good programmes.
Its the waste of fee (high salaries&and
severance pay to cover up mistakes)
& not much accountablity tbat I dont like.

One of my relatives wont be happy
if its abolished soon. Shes 75 next
year-so wouldnt have to pay then
anyway.!!
Shes always been wrong age- so she says!

maidmarian
16-11-2014, 18:31
Could have picked a better selection of
Programmes to support the case.
Clarkson as a plus.

I dont object as such to the fee ;
there are some good programmes.
Its the waste of fee (high salaries&and
severance pay to cover up mistakes)
& not much accountablity tbat I dont like.

One of my relatives wont be happy
if its abolished soon. Shes 75 next
year-so wouldnt have to pay then
anyway.!!
Shes always been wrong age- so she says!

Dazzle
16-11-2014, 19:22
Clarkson as a plus.

:rotfl:

I also support the licence fee. There is a right-wing agenda to get rid of it, for which reason alone I'd back it! :D

I do think that people living in poverty (not just the elderly) should be exempt if they're struggling to pay it.

Perdita
16-11-2014, 19:28
That would make the licence fees means tested ... and where do you draw the line of where poverty is no longer?? If all the other channels can survive with adverts, maybe BBC should also fund their programmes with advertisements .. I know there are some that complain about too many advert breaks and too long ones ... I am usually grateful to be able to put kettle on for a cuppa or use the bathroom without missing the programme I was watching but I appreciate that not everyone will share this sentiment :)

Dazzle
16-11-2014, 19:51
That would make the licence fees means tested ... and where do you draw the line of where poverty is no longer?? If all the other channels can survive with adverts, maybe BBC should also fund their programmes with advertisements .. I know there are some that complain about too many advert breaks and too long ones ... I am usually grateful to be able to put kettle on for a cuppa or use the bathroom without missing the programme I was watching but I appreciate that not everyone will share this sentiment :)

Well, I'm not talking about means testing - the over-75s aren't means-tested.

What I definitely don't want is advertising on the BBC!!! Commercial channels are very different entities to the BBC, being driven by solely by profit and consumerism. :p