PDA

View Full Version : Warren Clarke has died

tammyy2j
12-11-2014, 15:58
Warren Clarke, the star of the long-running Dalziel and Pascoe detective series, has died aged 67.

He performed in numerous TV and film roles over a nearly 50-year career, notably including a performance as one of the droogs in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.

He also played two parts in Coronation Street in the 1960s.

Clarke's agent said the actor died peacefully in his sleep after a short illness.

"He will be greatly missed by his family and loved ones. At this time we ask that you respect their privacy in their time of grief," a statement said.

His most celebrated role was as Detective Superintendent Andy Dalziel in 12 series of the TV adaptation of Reginald Hill's stories about police colleagues with widely different personalities.

The show ran from 1996 until 2007.

Recent roles included a part in Call The Midwife and a stage portrayal of Winston Churchill in Three Days In May.

In an interview he once said of his career: "I got lucky with some of the things I did and happened to make bigger money. But I've never gone into anything thinking 'oh, I'm going to make a fortune here'.

"I want to see the script, the character. I've been offered stuff in Hollywood but it was stuff I didn't want to be involved with."

A message on the Twitter account of Manchester City - the team he supported - said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Warren Clarke following sad news of his passing."

Meanwhile League of Gentlemen star Reece Shearsmith called him a "very funny and lovely man".

RIP

Dazzle
12-11-2014, 16:14
Very sad. I've enjoyed watching him in numerous roles over the years. :(

Perdita
12-11-2014, 16:37
Very sad indeed, I too enjoyed watching him :( RIP Warren

lizann
12-11-2014, 21:42
rip down to earth is a fav of mine and my mam