PDA

View Full Version : Rik Mayall has died

tammyy2j
09-06-2014, 16:32
Comedian and actor Rik Mayall died this morning, a spokesman for Brunskill Management said today.

He was 56 years old.

He was left seriously ill after a quad bike accident in 1998 which left him in a coma for several days, but was working until recently.

Mayall was best known for his roles in Bottom, the Young Ones and The New Statesman.

He also starred in Drop Dead Fred and appeared in Blackadder several times.

Mayall also played Alistair Itchdaddy in RTÉ's Damo and Ivor.

Speaking about the accident, Mayall last year said doctors had kept him alive on a life-support machine for five days and were about to turn it off when he began to show signs of life.

He used to mark the occasion by exchanging presents with his wife and children and said the near-death experience changed his life.

He said: "The main difference between now and before my accident is I'm just very glad to be alive.

"Other people get moody in their 40s and 50s - men get the male menopause. I missed the whole thing. I was just really happy."

Mayall started on stage in a duo, The Dangerous Brothers, with long-time collaborator Adrian Edmondson after they met at Manchester University.

The pair, who appeared together in The Young Ones, reprised their original act in the anarchic comedy Bottom.

RIP

Dazzle
09-06-2014, 16:42
Comedian and actor Rik Mayall died this morning

Very, very sad :(

I grew up watching Rik in The Young Ones, Bottom, The New Statesmen and, of course, Blackadder.

Perdita
09-06-2014, 16:53
RIP Rik :(

Siobhan
09-06-2014, 19:57
Very saddened by this news. I have seen nearly everything Rik Mayall was in. Love Drop dead Fred and have seen 2 live stage shows of bottom.
RIP Rik, you gave me laughter which is an amazing gift to give anyone xxxxxx

Siobhan
09-06-2014, 19:57
Very saddened by this news. I have seen nearly everything Rik Mayall was in. Love Drop dead Fred and was at 2 live stage shows of bottom.
RIP Rik, you gave me laughter which is an amazing gift to give anyone xxxxxx

lizann
09-06-2014, 21:16
RIP Rik