PDA

View Full Version : Alya Nazir (Sair Khan)

Perdita
01-04-2014, 11:51
Coronation Street bosses have confirmed the casting of Kal Nazir's daughter Alya.

Actress Sair Khan has landed the part of Alya and will make her first appearance on the ITV soap in June.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/14/618x696/soaps-coronation-street-sair-khan-alya-nazir.png
Coronation Street actress Sair Khan
Sair Khan

21-year-old Alya arrives on the cobbles with an outspoken nature and bubbly personality. Show chiefs have teased that her wayward behaviour will make life difficult for her father in the summer.

Speaking of her new role, Khan told itv.com: "I'm absolutely thrilled to be joining the cast of Coronation Street. As a northerner I've grown up watching the show and so can't quite believe that I'll soon be walking on the famous cobbles."

Coronation Street's assistant producer Ella Kelly added: "We're delighted to introduce Sair as Alya, the new strong-minded member of the Nazir family, who puts temptation in the path of one male resident, causing a storm before her feet have even hit the cobbles."

The long-running show is also currently searching for actors to play Kal's son and mother. Viewers have already been introduced to Kal's father Sharif, played by Marc Anwar.

Coronation Street producer Stuart Blackburn first confirmed plans to introduce Kal's family in January.

Speaking at the time, he said: "We've established that Kal, his son and his daughter live with Kal's mum and dad. We're going to see his mum, dad and his children - we're probably going to bring them onto the street and they'll be the first Muslim family that Corrie has ever had."

Khan, 26, has previously appeared as a guest in BBC One's Doctors and has also been part of various theatre productions.

Perdita
19-06-2014, 05:23
Coronation Street newcomer Alya Nazir immediately causes trouble next week when she has a one-night stand with Gary Windass.

Fresh out of university, Alya has come to Weatherfield to stay with her dad Kal and has no idea about Gary's background when she meets him in a nightclub.

Alya's arrival is part of the on-going process to build up the Nazirs as the show's first Muslim family following the casting of Jimi Mistry as Kal last year.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Sair Khan, who plays Alya, about the shock fling with Gary and what's to come.

Now that you've been filming for a couple of months, how are you finding life at Coronation Street so far?
"I am loving it. I have been here about two months now and my first episode hasn't even aired yet. I feel like I am settling in and just getting used to it but I've got a big shock around the corner when the actual episode airs next week. I am really excited to see it and to watch those first few scenes. Everyone has been so lovely. They have all welcomed me in and been there whenever I have needed to chat. I've got to work with a few different people now so it's been really nice to move around because it is a big cast. I think I have just about met everyone now which is good."

How would you describe your character Alya?
"She has just finished university so she is quite independent. She is used to being away from home and she really knows her own mind. She is quite feisty as well I think, she knows what she wants and she's not afraid to speak her mind. That's the kind of girl she is."

How does it feel to be part of the show's first Muslim family?
"It's such an honour. I can't believe that I have got to be a part of it and the fact that it is the first Muslim family as well. I have grown up in a Muslim family in Leeds, so being in a Northern-based show with a family with this background is great. I'm so proud."

Alya comes to Weatherfield after finishing university to stay with her dad Kal. Has she just come to see him? Or is there another reason?
"Yes, well she has come to stay with her dad. Obviously the whole gym thing has been going on for a little while and because she has been busy, it is finally about time she rocked up just to see what everything is like. She comes to visit her dad and that coincides with her having just finished university, so she needs a summer job. Lucky for me, she gets a job straight away which means I can be on the cobbles a bit more!"
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/24/618x427/soaps-corrie-8412-1.jpg
Gary is desperate to give Izzy a wide birth and persuades Jason to go for a few drinks with him.
© ITV
Gary and Jason go out for drinks

One of her first storylines is the one-night stand with Gary. What attracts them to each other at first?
"I think it's just one of those things. She saw him across the crowded bar and something was there, some kind of spark. I think she just liked the look of him."

Could she develop feelings for him? Or was it just a one-off?
"I think she likes him. There was an instant attraction. Obviously at this point she doesn't know that he is in a relationship with a baby. So at first, I think she really likes him and doesn't necessarily see it as a one-night thing. She thinks: 'Oh yeah, this is a nice, cute guy that I get along with. Let's see what can happen'."

How does she feel when she discovers that Gary has a girlfriend and a baby?
"She's so shocked. She's initially told that he has a girlfriend which she can't believe but when she finds out that he has a baby, that's the point where it turns. I think maybe she could have let him off with the girlfriend thing, even though it is still awful, but I think the fact that he has a baby and those kinds of responsibilities really changes her opinion about him completely."

Will she be tempted to tell Izzy the truth?
"Yes definitely. You will see that she gives him countless opportunities from the moment she finds out for him to apologise properly, make amends and do the right thing and he just fails at every turn. That riles her up and by the end of it, she thinks: 'You know what? I don't owe you anything. Izzy deserves to know'."
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/24/618x439/soaps-corrie-8413-2.jpg
Alya corners Gary in the Rovers back yard
© ITV
Alya corners Gary in the Rovers back yard

Leanne and Kal decide to give their romance another go next week after Tina's funeral. Will her and Alya get along? Or could there be tension?
"They will get along. Alya is not a nasty girl and obviously her mum has died a couple of years ago and that was hard for her. It is difficult for her to get her head around seeing her dad with someone new but I think what she cares about most is that her dad is happy and that Leanne is the right person for him. She sees the way they interact and she knows it's genuine. Even though it is hard for her initially, she is quite accepting of the relationship. There are other people in the family that you might have to worry about but not Alya."

How will Leanne react when she discovers that Leanne used to be a prostitute?
"She is not going to judge her – she isn't judgmental like that. She understands that she has had a past. Obviously she is shocked but she doesn't hold it against her or anything."

Do you know much about what is coming up for Alya in the long-term?
"I don't really know. I guess just getting used to being on the street and interacting with the other characters outside of my family or outside of the Gary Windass relationship. It is just imbedding her in the street. I am not sure what that will bring but some funny moments hopefully with some of the established characters. She meets quite a few different people like Noris and Todd – that was an interesting little run-in that they had together – and other people here and there. But I am hoping she will get a best friend. I would really like one so I hope they establish a friendship with one of the girls on the street. That will be really cool."

Coronation Street bosses have cast two Nazir members - Yasmeen and Qasim. Do you know much about the family's stories?
"Well obviously I have come in and shortly after that Alya's grandma Yasmeen arrives . After that, they are introducing Alya's brother, Zeedan. I think the plan is to slowly drip-feed them all in. I can't wait until we are all together and doing our first scene – I am really looking forward to that. When Zeedan comes in and Qasim (Akhtar) joins the show, I won't be the newbie anymore so that will be quite nice as well!"

tammyy2j
20-06-2014, 01:02
She looks around Kal's age

lizann
21-06-2014, 21:58

:p

lizann
21-06-2014, 21:58

:p

swmc66
22-06-2014, 09:12
They are not a traditional muslim family from what i have seen. It was amazing that the father accepted leanne when he heard. It was nice that he did accept her when he saw his sons feelings.

owenlee4me
28-06-2014, 23:42
What i want to know is, why does the father have to hang around the gym? bit pervy I think, not as if he is in gym clothes, so why is he always there? NO gyms I've ever been to, have a middle aged father of the owner always standing round!!!

Dazzle
29-06-2014, 16:30
What i want to know is, why does the father have to hang around the gym? bit pervy I think, not as if he is in gym clothes, so why is he always there? NO gyms I've ever been to, have a middle aged father of the owner always standing round!!!

I think he's a bit of a control freak and wants to oversee the business, even though he's only supposed to be a sleeping partner. This frustrated Kal at first, but he seems fine with it now for some reason.

Perdita
30-09-2014, 20:30
Coronation Street star Sair Khan has explained why her character Alya Nazir gets cold feet over a potential relationship with Gary Windass.

Pictures released at the weekend showed Alya and Gary sharing a kiss after weeks of chemistry between the pair, but in the aftermath Alya tells him that they can't be together.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/40/618x618/soaps-coronation-street-sair-khan-alya-nazir.jpg
Sair Khan as Alya Nazir in Coronation Street
© ITV
Sair Khan as Alya Nazir

Sparks fly between the two characters when Gary helps the Nazir family as they try to turn the disused butcher shop into a community centre, but Alya can't help feeling that a romance with the builder would cause trouble.

Khan explained: "The lead-up to the kiss is amazing - they are both really excited with anticipation. Then the kiss is great, but then she snaps back to reality and realises they are kissing in public and she's so close to home, so she leaves him quite quickly.

"After that, she feels quite awkward and there are a few things that make her question how right the kiss was. The next day she's walking down the street and she sees Gary with Izzy and Jake, and it makes her question how right they would be together.

"Alya wonders what he can offer her and how it might be tricky, as he's a father and yet she's only just come out of university."
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/39/618x411/06_10_coro_alya_gary_01.jpg
Alya and Gary continue to flirt.
© ITV
Alya and Gary continue to flirt.

She continued: "There are so many awkward factors that come with it. Gary's supposed to be Alya's dad's best friend for one. He's not just some random man, he's a man that her dad knows very, very well.

"The fact that he's got a child and has just come out of a relationship would probably trouble some members of her family and it's probably not what they'd want for her, having come fresh from uni.

"Alya's family probably see her being with someone more well suited to her, someone with a similar background. There are so many things going against them."

When Alya tells a disappointed Gary that they are better off staying apart, viewers will be left to wonder whether he can convince her otherwise.

Asked whether they would make a good couple, Khan replied: "Ooh, I don't know. I'd like to think that they would! There's a lot going against them, but there's so much chemistry between them so maybe that would be enough."

swmc66
30-09-2014, 22:17
Kal's family are not a traditional Asian muslim family so I cannot understand how this is an issue or will be an issue with them

Perdita
26-11-2014, 11:30
Alya Nazir and Gary Windass could find their secret romance rumbled on Coronation Street next week after their plan to spend time alone together backfires.

Wanting to spend time with Gary (Mikey North), Alya (Sair Khan) asks Leanne if they can use her flat, but Leanne refuses to help and urges them to tell Kal the truth about their relationship.

Later, when Alya is left to lock up at the factory following her first day, she invites Gary in, having ignored Leanne's advice to come clean with Kal.
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/47/618x420/soaps-corrie-8524-1.jpg
Sally gives Alya a tour of the factory and shows her the ropes.
© ITV
Sally gives Alya a tour of the factory
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/47/618x458/soaps-corrie-8525-1.jpg
Alya invites Gary into the factory hoping for some time alone,
© ITV
Alya invites Gary into the factory

However, the pair are soon disturbed when they hear somebody enter the factory and it turns out to be Tracy.

In a panic, Alya bundles Gary into the loading bay in order to hide him, but are they about to be caught out?
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/47/618x411/soaps-corrie-8525-2.jpg
Alya and Gary are seen together
© ITV
Alya and Gary are seen together

owenlee4me
26-11-2014, 11:42
ohh Boring and dull, who cares but them, not exactyl Romeo and Juliet.
If she likes Gary then why does she not just get on with it, after all, she's English and not living in far "backward" lands, so bit stupid story

owenlee4me
26-11-2014, 11:42
ohh Boring and dull, who cares but them, not exactyl Romeo and Juliet.
If she likes Gary then why does she not just get on with it, after all, she's English and not living in far "backward" lands, so bit stupid story

swmc66
27-11-2014, 20:08
Like i keep saying this story does not match the modern muslim family they are. If they were traditional then rhis would be a big issue

Perdita
27-11-2014, 20:19
Just because they are a modern muslim family does not necessarily mean that they don't hold certain traditional values ...

swmc66
27-11-2014, 20:46
The same values they hold Kal to? They let him be with who he wants, have a relationship outside of marriage and also with someone who is not a muslim. So what is the problem for Alya?
. What rules are they applying here and what values are they upholding?

swmc66
27-11-2014, 20:46
The same values they hold Kal to? They let him be with who he wants, have a relationship outside of marriage and also with someone who is not a muslim. So what is the problem for Alya?
. What rules are they applying here and what values are they upholding?

Perdita
27-11-2014, 21:03
Kal had problems to start with too but being an older male, I can see why he is allowed to get away with more than his young daughter would be .. Not knowing whether Kal had previous serious non-muslim partners it might take some time before a mixed relationship is easily accepted by the family...

Dazzle
27-11-2014, 21:21
Well we know that in many traditional cultures (not just Asian) the females are hypocritically held to much higher standards than the males. You hear about women being stoned for being raped FFS! :angry:

Anyway, back to Corrie...I agree with Perdita that just because the Nazirs are modern, doesn't mean that they don't still hold some of their traditional values dear. I expect it'll all turn out fine in the end though as the writers won't want regular characters to be seen as racist or sexist. As Swmc pointed out, they've accepted Leanne (with her, er, colourful history) so they can't be THAT strict.

swmc66
27-11-2014, 22:08
Agree this is about different rules and standards. I know so many young asian women that have been sent away to get married, been beaten up or disowned for having a boyfriend.

Dazzle
27-11-2014, 22:23
Agree this is about different rules and standards. I know so many young asian women that have been sent away to get married, been beaten up or disowned for having a boyfriend.

Shocking stuff! :angry:

owenlee4me
28-11-2014, 16:57
I have to be honest,if this is a Christian Country? then surely different religions and cultures who choose to come to the British Isles, can"all" be bit more tolerant of mixed relationships? if we are all to live together in England is this not bound to be a situation that can happen? sorry not being racist, I am just being realistic that one day, this country will be much more populated by immigrants, so it may help if soaps show the nicer side of a mixed relationship.
If GAry and Alya want to get together, then maybe her family should accept this is what can happen when you live in a Christian country, the risk of different cultures is inevetible, maybe it would be an idea for the soaps to show that there are some Muslims who spend time trying to intergrate into English society instead of G&A looking as if it's wrong?

swmc66
28-11-2014, 17:28
When the British were in India they kept all their culture and traditions. A lot of the traditions and customs still stand. So different cultures and religions are fine its part of you. Its only when they break laws that I have a concern.

parkerman
28-11-2014, 17:51
Speaking as an atheist myself, I really couldn't care less whether people see themselves as Christian, Muslim, Hindu or whatever. As long as what they do doesn't interfere with other people or break the law I have no objection to them following their own religion.

owenlee4me
28-11-2014, 21:38
Yea but was Britain in charge of India so to speak, and that the Indians had to "cow tow" to the Brits?
So the Brits could technically speaking keep their cultures, I guess if the day ever comes we become a Muslim nation, we may have to start changing our ways!! can it happen, well considering how many muslims are now in England, it may bot be to far off!

Dazzle
29-11-2014, 00:40
I'm not even going to quote the above post as I find it so offensive.

You won't find much sympathy for those views here. Maybe you should try the Daily Fail's comment threads?

According the government's own statistics here (http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/business-transparency/freedom-of-information/previous-foi-requests/people--population-and-community/statistics-of-the-muslim-population-in-the-uk-for-2011--2012-and-2013/index.html) and here (http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pop-estimate/population-estimates-for-uk--england-and-wales--scotland-and-northern-ireland/2013/stb---mid-2013-uk-population-estimates.html), the percentage of Muslims in England and Wales in 2013 was 4.7% (although the recent propaganda in the right-wing media would have us believe it's many times that). The only thing the current frenzy being whipped up by those with an agenda is going to achieve is a reduction in integration between cultures.

I'm putting you on ignore now so I don't have to see any more of your posts.

swmc66
29-11-2014, 02:38
so you can rest well my lot won't be taking over the country tomorrow

parkerman
29-11-2014, 09:57
Well said, Dazzle. :)

owenlee4me
30-11-2014, 21:18
think you have made your point!

owenlee4me
30-11-2014, 21:26
Very sensitive subject I can see, but it's nice that England is still (for now) a free country and we are allowed free speech, and I like to enjoy my tv programmes and at times, feel we are being led into something a bit uncomfortable.
Do I want to watch a young couple sneaking about on Tv just because they may like each other, not really, not when the problem is a rather old fashioned one and they are scared to be seen.
It's not as if they have committed a crime and need to sneak.
This is why I felt compelled to have my "free speech"
Aplogies to those who felt I was offensive.

owenlee4me
30-11-2014, 21:26
Very sensitive subject I can see, but it's nice that England is still (for now) a free country and we are allowed free speech, and I like to enjoy my tv programmes and at times, feel we are being led into something a bit uncomfortable.
Do I want to watch a young couple sneaking about on Tv just because they may like each other, not really, not when the problem is a rather old fashioned one and they are scared to be seen.
It's not as if they have committed a crime and need to sneak.
This is why I felt compelled to have my "free speech"
Aplogies to those who felt I was offensive.

Dazzle
30-11-2014, 22:10

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 10:01
In case DAzzle "forgets" to put ignore, I hope it can be seen this was not meant as a racist rant, but quite simply, I was upset for the couple in the soap having to creep about in this day and age, and that the soaps should not show it that way.
I am just saying that England has become a huge multi cultural society and it's inevitable that mixed relationships will happen, so it would be nice if the soaps can show that. I'm upset at how Gary and Alya are not being allowed to just be happy.
It seems Dazzle has got a raw nerve on this, so I will now, not go into this any more, just to say, I am not racist and I am genuinely sorry to all the people i've offended, and those of you who applaud her comments, please try to see that I have not, said anything concrete other than, i'm aware our society is now getting mixed more and more, that is not being racist.
I will now hopefully enjoy reading the comments of the more insensitive readers.

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 10:01
In case DAzzle "forgets" to put ignore, I hope it can be seen this was not meant as a racist rant, but quite simply, I was upset for the couple in the soap having to creep about in this day and age, and that the soaps should not show it that way.
I am just saying that England has become a huge multi cultural society and it's inevitable that mixed relationships will happen, so it would be nice if the soaps can show that. I'm upset at how Gary and Alya are not being allowed to just be happy.
It seems Dazzle has got a raw nerve on this, so I will now, not go into this any more, just to say, I am not racist and I am genuinely sorry to all the people i've offended, and those of you who applaud her comments, please try to see that I have not, said anything concrete other than, i'm aware our society is now getting mixed more and more, that is not being racist.
I will now hopefully enjoy reading the comments of the more insensitive readers.

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 10:58
For the record and for those who believe Dazzle to be "thanked" I do not tolerate cyber bullying. Dazzle has implied that I do not complain about other topics soaps shown such as murder, rape, etc and only about a young couple meeting in secret, I do when I can and when I choose, I use my free speech as and where and when i want, no one has to read it, accept it, even understand it, but I will not be bullied by being sent private messages of what "free speech" is and to be threatened of being shown the door!
I come on here to maybe see a different view of the society we live in, see what other users think, I do not expect to enter into a unpleasant episode of harrassment.
I like to think that my comments sometimes show a different view, even put a suggestion there, I seem to recall i suggested EE needed a true loving family not a one that was in bits, and low and behold along came the CArters, so was this partly because of my suggestion? who knows, I like to think so, so some complaints can actually be good, HOpe Dazzle can at least try to step off the wonky soapbox that their on!!!

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 10:58
For the record and for those who believe Dazzle to be "thanked" I do not tolerate cyber bullying. Dazzle has implied that I do not complain about other topics soaps shown such as murder, rape, etc and only about a young couple meeting in secret, I do when I can and when I choose, I use my free speech as and where and when i want, no one has to read it, accept it, even understand it, but I will not be bullied by being sent private messages of what "free speech" is and to be threatened of being shown the door!
I come on here to maybe see a different view of the society we live in, see what other users think, I do not expect to enter into a unpleasant episode of harrassment.
I like to think that my comments sometimes show a different view, even put a suggestion there, I seem to recall i suggested EE needed a true loving family not a one that was in bits, and low and behold along came the CArters, so was this partly because of my suggestion? who knows, I like to think so, so some complaints can actually be good, HOpe Dazzle can at least try to step off the wonky soapbox that their on!!!

parkerman
01-12-2014, 11:25
There are plenty of examples of "mixed" relationships in Eastenders including Muslims with others, even a mixed gay relationship with a Muslim and a non-Muslim.

However, this particular storyline is a reflection of what still happens in real life as well. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. What was objectionable about your first statement was the idea that Muslims are about to take over the countryand destroy our way of life which is patently absurd and a typical racist BNP/EDL line; the other was the idea that it is all right for us British Christians to go to India and force our way of life on them.

Oh, but well done for single-handedly being responsible for Eastenders introducing the Carters.

parkerman
01-12-2014, 11:25

Dazzle
01-12-2014, 12:04
Nice post! :)

Oh, but well done for single-handedly being responsible for Eastenders introducing the Carters.

:rotfl:

A certain poster seems to be under the impression that I sent them a PM harassing and threatening them. I don't know where they got that idea! :searchme:

I did post an amusing graphic about the entitlement to free speech on this thread, but I subsequently deleted the post because I decided not to feed the troll any longer. I guess it was seen in the meantime, but I assure other readers that what I said was in no way harassing or threatening.

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 13:37
Think it's time to draw a line under this, I could go on and on about how I did not mean it, but it seems you lot are determined to judge me as a bad person, as for single handily bringing in the CArters, who knows eh, but at least you can say something nice, I think?

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 13:37
:moonie:

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 13:40
so we will not mention the bit where you threatened to take an action then, just let everyone think your a wonderful person!
and the graphic was unpleasant, insulting and probably your mentality, Good Bye

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 13:40
so we will not mention the bit where you threatened to take an action then, just let everyone think your a wonderful person!
and the graphic was unpleasant, insulting and probably your mentality, Good Bye

tammyy2j
01-12-2014, 14:25
I don't like Alya and Gary as a couple

Dazzle
01-12-2014, 16:40
The "threat" referred to was that I'd report any further racism to the moderators. I'll let the other readers decide whether that was an unfair thing to say.

As for the graphic, I posted it because I found it amusing and it summed up my thoughts on people who cry free speech when challenged regarding their bigotry. It was pretty scathing, I admit, so with hindsight I think it was probably misjudged.

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 16:41
Me neither, I can't see any chemistry?

swmc66
01-12-2014, 21:02
I think you will find that most of us do think Dazzle is a wonderful person.

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 21:11
Guess it's good that Dazzle had the good grace to recognise that something they thought was funny and amusing one minute, but realised that it was actually to quote "scathing"
all in all, this wonderful person thinks they have the right to bully and threaten and has "sheep" following!
Ah well what ever floats your boat!

owenlee4me
01-12-2014, 21:11
Guess it's good that Dazzle had the good grace to recognise that something they thought was funny and amusing one minute, but realised that it was actually to quote "scathing"
all in all, this wonderful person thinks they have the right to bully and threaten and has "sheep" following!
Ah well what ever floats your boat!

Dazzle
01-12-2014, 21:19
I think you will find that most of us do think Dazzle is a wonderful person.

What a lovely thing to say, Swmc! :o

Baa.... :D

lizann
01-12-2014, 21:33

awful

lizann
01-12-2014, 21:33

awful

Perdita
28-05-2015, 21:53
Life for the Nazir family changed forever in Thursday's Coronation Street episode (May 28) as Kal was killed in the devastating explosion at Victoria Court.

The next few weeks will see Kal's loved ones struggle to rebuild their lives following their terrible loss, with his daughter Alya finding it particularly difficult to cope.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Sair Khan, who plays Alya, for an exclusive insight into how Kal's death will affect the Nazirs.

After working with him so closely, is it strange not having Jimi Mistry on set now?
"It really is! You form such a close bond with the people that you work with a lot. Jimi has been there since the beginning for me and we hang out together too, so it's been really sad seeing him go.

"I watched a preview of Jimi's final episode with a few other workmates and I'm not going to lie, I had a bit of a tear in my eye! It was quite emotional saying goodbye to the character as well as a mate."

How have you coped with the secrecy surrounding the story?
"We had to keep everything under wraps with this storyline, so I just haven't told anyone about it! My sister is going to kill me when she sees Kal die, because I haven't even told her anything about it.

"She was asking me about Jimi and saying that it's a shame he's leaving because she really liked his character. I made up a complete bare-faced lie and told her that Jimi can come back if he wants to! (Laughs.) I said, 'It's not always forever, he can do some other things and then come back'. She believed me but little did she know, he can never come back!"

How is Alya going to cope with her father's death?
"In a nutshell, not very well! It's such a massive thing to lose a parent and she has lost both of them now, so you'll definitely see how that impacts Alya in every single aspect of her life. You'll see how it affects her relationships, her faith, her work, her friendships - everything that she's going to lose control of in a pretty bad way..."

Do the Nazir family stay united throughout this, or do they start to split apart?
"It's a difficult one, because everyone deals with grief in their own way. Grief is a process and there's no right or wrong answer with it. The Nazir family probably think that Alya is going to be the one who keeps them all together. They expect her to be that support network for everyone, but she can't do that at the moment.

"I think the grief is too much for Alya, so she doesn't deal with it in the way she expects to. She can't be there for her family in the way that she wants to be there."

Has the story been a challenge?
"It's definitely the biggest storyline I've had so far. It's great to have been given this opportunity a year after starting on the show, because it takes a while for you to live with your character and forge relationships with different people on the Street.

"I feel like Alya has now got quite strong bonds with certain people on the Street, so to be given the storyline at this point is an honour and also a massive challenge as well. You want to do it justice and tell the story as best you can."

Will Leanne stay close to the Nazir family?
"Definitely. They all know that Kal wanted to propose to Leanne and make her part of the family. As Kal wanted to spend the rest of his life with Leanne, it's important to the Nazirs to make her part of the family. If that was one of Kal's last wishes, then of course they want to honour that."

Zeedan was quite bitter towards Leanne in the immediate aftermath of Kal's death. Will he see sense?
"I think Zeedan just needed to take it out on someone at that moment. Once that has settled, Zeedan will see the pain that Leanne is going through. He also realises the reasons why Kal did what he did, by going into Victoria Court and saving Amy.

"Once that all becomes clear, Zeedan's attitude is less focused on his frictions with Leanne and it's more about concentrating on the fact that he needs to support his family and not be so bitter."

Have you filmed a funeral for Kal yet?
"Yeah, we've already filmed those scenes! It was so emotional. There's a lot of tears from everybody. With the flowers and everyone dressed for a funeral, it makes it feel so real when you film it. Obviously we're telling a story, but it amplifies it tenfold and it seems real. We really felt the tears and the emotions."

What was it like being part of the night shoots for the fire?
"It was really exciting and a fantastic experience to be part of. By the last day of the night shoots it had taken its toll a little bit, as the shoots had been going on for three weeks - it was 5.30am and freezing cold, so you kind of go to a different place in your head that's beyond tired! (Laughs.)

"Once we wrapped, I think everyone was so pleased to go home and get to their beds! But I really enjoyed the adrenaline of knowing that we were going to make this amazing story that would be kept under wraps. It added another element to it, so for us guys it was particularly exciting.

"There was a point where we did the explosion and whoever lives across the way at Media City called the fire brigade! That threw us a little bit, as we weren't sure how many people would know about the storyline because of that, but that's all part of making television like this - it keeps you on your toes!"

Will Gary be a strong source of support for Alya?
"Gary tries to be. Kal was his friend and Alya is his girlfriend so he's very much involved in what's happening. He absolutely wants to be there for Alya in any way he can. In his own past, Gary has found it difficult to deal with his emotions, but he's learned from that and he wants to help Alya.

"Unfortunately it's difficult because Alya is not really accepting of that help. It's too early in the grief process for her to even try to comprehend and absorb what's happened. As much as Gary is trying to help, it's kind of falling on deaf ears a little bit..."

We've seen that Alya has an ambitious nature and has some good ideas for the factory. Is that something you'd like to explore more?
"Absolutely! I didn't really know where the character was going to go when I first started, but I did know that she'd done a textiles and business degree course. With me being the detective that I think I am, my first reaction was, 'Oh my gosh, she's going to go into the factory!' (Laughs.)

"For me that was in the direction I always saw Alya going in, and sure enough a few months later, she did get a job at Underworld. It shows there are always clues there in the scripts! It's definitely a part of her character that I've enjoyed exploring. It's great, because there aren't that many other characters who are ambitious like that. Alya wants to start her own business one day and it's definitely an aspect of her that I'm enjoying playing."

Are you also enjoying Alya's on-screen rivalry with Sally Webster?!
"It's such a joy to work with Sally Dynevor. I always think that she's such a good actress that people probably think she's like that in real life! She's actually the nicest, loveliest woman you could ever meet. She's just hilarious, so natural and so modest - I'm in stitches when I do scenes with her. Sometimes I can't even get through them!

"It's so nice to do scenes with Sally and hopefully some of that comedy genius can rub off on me now that she's an award-winner!"

tammyy2j
09-06-2015, 00:14
Alya Nazir's grief for her father Kal has surprising consequences on Coronation Street next week as she jumps into bed with Jason Grimshaw.

The Underworld trainee pursues Jason (Ryan Thomas) following a very difficult week on the cobbles, which sees her grandfather Sharif suffer a health scare and her relationship with Gary Windass run into trouble.

Here, Sair Khan - who plays Alya - reveals why her character seeks comfort in the arms of another man.

How is Alya coping in the aftermath of Kal's death?
"Alya's not coping very well in light of her father's death. She tries to be strong for her family because grief is affecting each one of them in different ways, but I think it's building up inside of her like a pressure cooker. Alya's trying to keep it all inside of her, but inevitably she will get to a point where she will blow."

How does Alya feel next week when Craig Tinker presents a mural he has painted in memory of the tragedy?
"I think Alya is really touched by it. As caught up in her own grief as she is, she's also very aware of how affected other people have been by the fire - Sophie in particular, because of Maddie.

"The mural is really poignant and comes at a time of reflection for Alya and allows her to take stock of everything that's happened. It's also a nice way to keep Maddie's memory alive."

Alya also keeps busy when she starts trying to sell her own ideas to Underworld clients. Will her ambitions grow in the weeks ahead?
"I think Alya has always been very ambitious. When she first came to Weatherfield she'd just finished university and she was looking for a job in the fashion industry, so Underworld was a great launchpad for that. But it is just a launchpad, she doesn't want to be stuck in that office for the rest of her career - she wants her own business.

"For her this is about learning as much as she can from Carla, who is a very influential businesswoman and someone she looks up to. As she's gaining more confidence and a greater knowledge about how the industry works, her creative ideas begin to flow. I think this will be the first time the audience will see Alya gain confidence in herself and in her own abilities and we'll start to see a very different side to her."

How does Alya react when Sharif suffers a nasty asthma attack?
"Sharif's asthma attack is really traumatic for Alya because she's just lost her dad, she already doesn't have a mum and now one of her closest relatives Sharif - who has essentially raised her - is not in a good way. I think it instantly brings back the memories of the loss she's just experienced and she worries that it's going to happen again, so that's really unbearable for her."

Alya later goes to The Rovers and orders a glass of wine. Why does she storm out of the pub shortly afterwards?
"Alya goes to The Rovers with the intention of having a drink, but Gary comes after her after he gets a phone call from Yasmeen saying that she's worried about Alya. Alya is humiliated that he's come in trying to save her. All of her work friends are in the pub and she knows she's making the wrong decision, but she wants to be able to make her own choices. It doesn't go quite to plan and Gary embarrasses her, so she storms out of the pub.

"Before that, she sees Kal's jacket and she wants to keep his memory alive but she doesn't know how to communicate her emotions or express how she's feeling. Instead of trying to work through that, she goes on the defensive, shuts down her emotions and has a moment of madness.

"Everything she's done in her life so far - following the rules, staying on the straight and narrow - hasn't worked, so she does the complete opposite. She's trying to get some relief from the situation."

How does Alya end up at Jason's place?
"She storms out of the pub and ends up having an argument with Gary in the flat. She goes from wanting one thing she's never had to wanting another thing, asking Gary to take her to bed.

"In her grief Gary doesn't think this is a good thing to do. Making this defiant stance and getting knocked back pushes her even more into this spiral so she storms off. Alya sees Jason with a couple of cans of beer and she ends up going back with him."

What happens when they go back to Jason's?
"Earlier in the week, Jason came to Alya's rescue at the Bistro when she was having a meeting with a difficult client, so they've spoken very briefly about what she's going through and she's confided in him a little bit. When they're back in the flat after they've had a few drinks, I think she can see a lot of herself in Jason - he's a nice guy who makes the right choices and he is honorable. In that moment she just needs that comfort from someone who she thinks understands her and she goes to make a move.

"Jason does pull back initially because it's a shock for him and he's not expecting that from her. But he is going through his own heartache and troubles, which Alya isn't privy to because they're both quite selfish in this situation."

What's Alya's state of mind after going to bed with Jason?
"Alya's distraught after. I think she instantly regrets it. She sobers up quickly and the realisation of what she's just done and what that could potentially mean to her family and her relationship with Gary dawns on her. She's devastated."

How does Alya react when an oblivious Gary later proposes to her?
"The fact that Gary ends up proposing is a bit out of the blue for her and it really compounds her guilt. She realises the things that Gary has done - pulling her out of the pub, not letting her have a drink, not succumbing to her advances - is all because he loves her and cares about her and he's trying to do the right thing by her.

"She realises that Gary really truly loves her, but the fact that she's just done what she did is heartbreaking for her."

Is Alya tempted to tell Gary what happened?
"As much as Alya said that she's sick of being the good girl, she's got very strong morals and she knows that Gary needs to know the truth. She knows he doesn't deserve being lied to.

"I don't think that she'll be able to keep it to herself. I think she'll try, but it'll be very difficult because she respects Gary so much more than that. I don't think she could live with the burden of the lie."

lizann
10-06-2015, 23:37
will a little jase junior be arriving in 9 months alya

Perdita
11-06-2015, 04:52
Is the Pope Catholic? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? Do male dogs like lamp posts? Do bears do their business in the woods? :p

lizann
11-06-2015, 20:53
Is the Pope Catholic? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? Do male dogs like lamp posts? Do bears do their business in the woods? :p

ive never slept with dolly so don't know

lizann
11-06-2015, 20:53

Perdita
11-06-2015, 20:58

Point taken :D :thumbsup:

parkerman
11-06-2015, 21:58
Well it would be difficult for her to sleep on her front.:)

maidmarian
11-06-2015, 22:45
Point taken :D :thumbsup:

Should that be plural?

maidmarian
11-06-2015, 22:45
Dupl

tammyy2j
11-06-2015, 22:57
She will have to sleep with Gary too if she is pregnant by Jason to cover as she is suppose to be a virgin Muslim

lizann
11-06-2015, 23:38
Well it would be difficult for her to sleep on her front.:)

her girls may deflate at night

swmc66
13-06-2015, 16:20
Not sure i like this storyline. Gary has been good to Alya and accepted the conditions of the relationship. I hope it does not end in a pregnancy.

Perdita
13-06-2015, 17:13
Very few one night stands in soaps do not end up with an unexpected pregnancy ... the females obviously do not use contraception, even when they are in a relationship with a guy ... I can appreciate that there might not be condoms available

maidmarian
13-06-2015, 18:12
Very few one night stands in soaps do not end up with an unexpected pregnancy ... the females obviously do not use contraception, even when they are in a relationship with a guy ... I can appreciate that there might not be condoms available

Yes- and all this abounding fertility.
Theres very seldom a story about women
who have difficulty conceiving which
is an increasing problem as women
delay starting a family.
But that would probably be too "long- term"
for a soap storyline!

maidmarian
13-06-2015, 18:12
Dupl

swmc66
14-06-2015, 19:40
Fertility problems are also increasing in younger women so not that easy to get pregnant!

Perdita
14-06-2015, 19:51
Not if you watch Jeremy Kyles ....not that he or watching the programme makes you pregnant but the participants of his show sure don't seem to have fertility issues ...at any age ....

Dazzle
14-06-2015, 19:54
Not if you watch Jeremy Kyles ....not that he or watching the programme makes you pregnant but the participants of his show sure don't seem to have fertility issues ...at any age ....

OMG you watch Jeremy Kyle!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-rolleye-smileys-842.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sticking-tongue-out/smileys-sticking-tongue-out-486576.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

maidmarian
14-06-2015, 20:03
Fertility problems are also increasing in younger women so not that easy to get pregnant!

Yes thats so-but a younger woman generally
has more time for treatment and treatment
is more likely to work.

And considering that mens "fertllity" is
at an all time low( allegedly due to hormones
in drinking water) **Its wonder any pregancies
occur at all!!!!

**latest reports also cite highfat diets/ exposure
to chemicals in plastics manufacture/ too tight
clothing etc etc

Perdita
14-06-2015, 20:06
Wrong post, sorry .... :o

Perdita
14-06-2015, 20:06
told you even advanced option don't work !!

Perdita
14-06-2015, 20:11
OMG you watch Jeremy Kyle!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-rolleye-smileys-842.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sticking-tongue-out/smileys-sticking-tongue-out-486576.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Noooooooooooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo But what I have seen from trailers and adverts where they are always asking if you want paternity test to prove baby's father ..... sure some people don't seem to be having problems to reproduce ...

Perdita
14-06-2015, 20:11

Noooooooooooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo But what I have seen from trailers and adverts where they are always asking if you want paternity test to prove baby's father ..... sure some people don't seem to be having problems to reproduce ...

Dazzle
14-06-2015, 20:17
Noooooooooooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Phew!!! (I need to find a "wipes sweat off brow" emoticon!) http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/cool/smileys-cool-980918.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Perdita
14-06-2015, 20:29
Will this do until you find one:

Phew!!! (I need to find a \"wipes sweat off brow\" emoticon!) http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/cool/smileys-cool-980918.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/happy/smileys-happy-644658.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Dazzle
14-06-2015, 20:49
Will this do until you find one:

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/happy/smileys-happy-644658.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thanks/smileys-thanks-771216.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Thanks, that'll do nicely! :D

tammyy2j
14-06-2015, 21:19
I would like to see Alya admit this as soon as possible to Gary instead of the lies and cover ups

I would imagine as a Muslim virgin she would not be on a contraception but she and Jason would know of the morning after pill

lizann
14-06-2015, 23:35

always the ones who shouldn't have them can have them

lizann
14-06-2015, 23:35

always the ones who shouldn't have them can have them

alan45
21-07-2015, 00:51
Coronation Street's Alya Nazir is left in a panic next week when she starts to fear that she might be pregnant with Jason Grimshaw's baby.

The ambitious factory worker quickly realises that she needs to know for sure, but when she buys a pregnancy testing kit, it doesn't take long before her colleagues at Underworld get dangerously close to the truth.

Here, Sair Khan - who plays Alya - lifts the lid on a difficult week in store for her character.

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/40/618x554/soaps-coronation-street-sair-khan-alya-nazir.jpg
© ITV
Sair Khan as Alya Nazir

Does Alya regret what happened between her and Jason?
"Yes, massively. It all happened so quickly and before she knew it, she'd made this huge mistake. She instantly regretted it and it was never what she intended to happen. One thing led to another after she'd had too many drinks. In the moment, she felt they had a connection in terms of where they were in their lives, and it just happened. She has regretted it ever since."

Why did Alya let it happen?
"I absolutely think it happened because she was grieving for the loss of her dad. That week she was in such a mess with everything, her head wasn't in a good place and she'd been struggling to cope with what was going on with her family, as well as everything going on at work and with Carla.

"Jason was one outlet for her to forget about everything that was happening in her life. She was trying to get out of her own headspace and instead fell into his arms."

http://i2.cdnds.net/15/23/618x401/soaps-corrie-8664-1.jpg
© ITV
Jason and Alya

Is Alya still worried about her fiancé Gary finding out?
"Alya is terrified of Gary finding out because she's so scared about what the repercussions might be. She loves him so much and the last thing she wants to do is ruin the relationship that they've built together. But in the same breath, she can't live with the lie of what she's done so it's going to be so difficult for her to keep it buried forever."

Why did Alya recently accept Gary's proposal?
"Alya has seen Gary really step up to the plate - both in relation to his own family and to hers as well. With everything that has gone on with Faye and Miley, Gary has really been a pillar of strength for them and for his mum too. He's been a huge support to Faye and has shown his caring side.

"Alya realises that despite the troubles he's had in the past, he's still a really good man. He loves his family and loves her deeply as well. She knows he's the one for her and despite what she's done, she knows it's Gary who she wants to be with for the rest of her life."

Gary surprises Alya at Underworld by suggesting a picnic next week, but she gives him a frosty reception. Why?
"Alya feels like she's living with a lie and the stress of that is making her quite unwell. She also thinks that she might be pregnant. I think that suspicion manifests out of overthinking and making herself sick with worry - she's tying herself in knots.

"Alya is so guilt ridden that despite the fact that she has accepted Gary's proposal, she is still keeping him at arm's length. She hates herself for what she has done, so she's trying to keep some distance between them so she can get her head around what she's done.

"But Gary is reading this the other way. He's so in love with her that he wants to spend all his time with her and do everything he can to make her happy again. She is trying to balance everything out, but she is finding it difficult and she can't bring herself to join him when he turns up at her work."

http://i1.cdnds.net/15/24/618x387/soaps-corrie-8669-5.jpg
© ITV
Alya is struggling around Gary

How does Alya feel about the possibility that she is pregnant?
"She realises that if she is, then Gary would find out and everyone would know what she did. The repercussions of that make her sick with worry about how her family would react and the shame she would feel over what she has done to Gary and to her family, as well as to herself. She's also really struggling to keep it together at work because of these concerns."

Does Alya decide to do the pregnancy test?
"Yes she does - she needs to know because she's driving herself mad and she knows she has to find out. Initially she wants to do it at the pub but something gets in the way, so she ends up taking it at Underworld."

Does Alya think about what she's going to do if she really is pregnant?
"She can't bear to think about that. She can only think about actually taking the test - that's as far as she can go at the minute. Otherwise it would be too much to try and fathom what the outcome might be. She needs an answer one way or another."

http://i2.cdnds.net/15/29/618x422/soaps-corrie-8697-3.jpg
© ITV
Beth and Sean will find out about the test

Who finds the pregnancy test?
"Everyone at work can tell Alya has been on edge recently and they're all putting it down to the fact that she's just lost her father - which of course she's still trying to come to terms with. She's snapping at a lot of people and she's not her usual helpful self.

"Then when she does the pregnancy test, Beth later finds it in the bin and parades it about onto the factory floor, demanding to know whose it is. Alya is mortified because she thinks she's been rumbled!"

What happens next?
"Sinead is very perceptive and can see from Alya's reaction and face that the test is hers. Sinead covers for her and pretends it's hers and there's a slight look that the two girls share. Sinead can see in Alya's eyes that she is desperate to keep it a secret."

Why does Alya then tell Sinead about how she slept with Jason?
"Initially she doesn't reveal all. Alya admits to her that the test was hers but at first Sinead has no reason to suspect that Alya has slept with someone else - she knows Alya is with Gary so she's no reason really to assume that Alya must have slept with someone else.

"So at first Sinead just thinks that Alya doesn't want her business announced on the factory floor. But I think Alya feels she has to tell someone - she just can't keep it to herself much longer!"

Kim
21-07-2015, 08:44
zzzzzzzz, always the predictable route. She instantly regretted it but didn't get the morning after pill? Right. Obviously she wasn't thinking at the time but she seemed to have taken a hard, cold dose of reality afterwards.

swmc66
28-07-2015, 15:25
Is it me or is she getting on everyone's nerves. Not interested in this storyline at all. Hope test is negative.

tammyy2j
28-07-2015, 15:36
Is it me or is she getting on everyone's nerves. Not interested in this storyline at all. Hope test is negative.

I haven't taken to her since she arrived

parkerman
28-07-2015, 15:59
She's not getting on my nerves. Phwoarrrrrrrr!

Dazzle
29-07-2015, 03:05

I thought the storyline of her going on a destructive downward spiral after Kal's death started well and had potential to be very interesting. However, all that appears to have come of it is yet another accidental pregnancy (or hopefully just a scare). How original... :wall:

LizzyBizzy
31-07-2015, 21:08
I like her character.

tammyy2j
31-07-2015, 21:47
Is she pregnant or was the test negative?

Kim
31-07-2015, 21:54
Negative apparently. Praying there isn't a twist where it turns out it was positive.

lizann
11-09-2015, 20:44
Negative apparently. Praying there isn't a twist where it turns out it was positive.

she is supposedly up the duff finds out soon no more sickness signs or weight gain though

lizann
11-09-2015, 20:44

she is supposedly up the duff finds out soon no more sickness signs or weight gain though

Perdita
11-09-2015, 20:48
I thought she was saving herself for the wedding night apart from the one night stand with Jason .. guess if the test showed a wrong result for some reason she will have some explaining to do ..

swmc66
11-09-2015, 21:01
She has not been looking her glamourous self lately. Thought maybe there had been a change of make up girl. Definately looks a lot darker.maybe they have done that deliberately.

Cheetah
01-10-2015, 17:24
Is she still pregnant? Maybe it's something else I missed.

vcdg84
01-10-2015, 20:20
I was just thinking the same and about to post about this! Seems the writers have forgotten all about it......

Dazzle
01-10-2015, 23:38

She told Sinead the test was negative. Since it hasn't been referred to since, I'm assuming she was telling the truth.

It makes a nice change for a one night stand in a soap not to end in pregnancy...

lizann
02-10-2015, 00:24
she was discover on live episode week that she was, could be scrapped now

maidmarian
02-10-2015, 01:54
she was discover on live episode week that she was, could be scrapped now

Ive re- read spoilers for live week and actress
"teased " her role but wouldnt give details!
But no further mention in Spoilers- so PTB
changed minds about story you think? Again?

It seems a long time since first test and if
there was another scene in live week- I
missed it ??!

maidmarian
02-10-2015, 01:54
Dupl

swmc66
02-10-2015, 18:37
Some people can sail through a pregnancy and not know

maidmarian
03-10-2015, 14:21
Some people can sail through a pregnancy and not know

Thats true swmc - in real life- and a lot of
people will know of such a person. Usually
there is a factor in their health / age that
would at least partly explain why.

In this case a young woman has a one
night stand and does a pregnancy test
which is negative. Then has no.further
cause for concern for some time??
Then.seemingly will be pregnant!!

Sounds like the usual soap fallbacks
( to me) One night stand pregnancy/
problems over paternity/ chance to
spoil other relatiinships( any reunion
between Jason& Eva)
If storyline is to develop that way -
lets hope for bettef writing than
such stories usually receive.!!

maidmarian
03-10-2015, 14:21
Dupl

alan45
03-10-2015, 15:08
It could of course just be that ITV decided not to go through with a pregnancy storyline and Gary and Alya have a mixed marriage which despite alll the odds is a long and happy one.

Ok I can dream. It is a soap so it wont happen

parkerman
03-10-2015, 16:17
G
It could of course just be that ITV decided not to go through with a pregnancy storyline and Gary and Alya have a mixed marriage which despite alll the odds is a long and happy one.

Ok I can dream. It is a soap so it wont happen
Coronation Street - long and happy marriage? No, sorry, my computer can't process that and has just exploded.....

Ruffed_lemur
04-10-2015, 00:10

I think she still is.

maidmarian
04-10-2015, 00:54
I think she still is.

Do you think she was mistaken/lying when
when she said test negative. Usually have
2tests?
I wouldnt be surprised in a way if she was
-because
if shes not - they are missing opportunity
for several of the old faithful plotlines!

Have to make their minds up soon?
Hope it doesnt mean another squawkfest
from Anna!

maidmarian
04-10-2015, 00:54
Dupl

Ruffed_lemur
04-10-2015, 13:49
Do you think she was mistaken/lying when
when she said test negative. Usually have
2tests?
I wouldnt be surprised in a way if she was
-because
if shes not - they are missing opportunity
for several of the old faithful plotlines!

Have to make their minds up soon?
Hope it doesnt mean another squawkfest
from Anna!

I think she didn't want to admit the truth to anyone. Her face was saying it was positive as I remember it.

swmc66
04-10-2015, 22:36
From what i know of pregnancy tests positive means positive and negative is not necessarily negative.

maidmarian
04-10-2015, 23:00
Thats so- but there are 2 and most people
would want to be sure - if worried.
Also some time since then - so there would
be other signs /symptoms or lack of them.

I think its just badly written/ planned and
possible change of storyline later -so
cant really apply normal rules to it!!

It would be really unusual in soap if there
wasnt a pregnancy after one night stand
and if there werent paternity issues!

They will have to decide soon tho- which
way the story goes.

Its a pity the story wasnt written more
positively - as others have said it would
be good -if very unusual - if we had a
happy ending?!

tammyy2j
05-10-2015, 00:07
Eva finds out that Jason slept with Alya, Jason must be honest with her as this leads Eva to Aidan

Cheetah
06-10-2015, 12:48
I'm sure I remember Alya telling Sinead after the test when Sinead could see she was really worried. Maybe that's another script I've written .................

Dazzle
06-10-2015, 20:06
I'm sure I remember Alya telling Sinead after the test when Sinead could see she was really worried. Maybe that's another script I've written .................

That scene definitely happened. :D Alya told Sinead the test was negative.

tammyy2j
06-10-2015, 20:57
Did Sinead look at the test, I think Beth found it and had it in her hand, the test showed negative

swmc66
06-10-2015, 22:21
Why would anyone want to touch someone elses pregnancy test. It needs your urine sample to give a result

maidmarian
06-10-2015, 22:36
Why would anyone want to touch someone elses pregnancy test. It needs your urine sample to give a result

Usually in public toilet( inc workplaces)
they are sealed bins to put "personal"
items for disposal.
Not sure why the test would be disposed
of so carelessly ( hygiene & gossipy women)
Perhaps they always intended to revisit
the story -because it did seem at one
stage -it was settled.
Perhaps now Evas back - to get her
involved with Aiden - not Jason??

maidmarian
06-10-2015, 22:36
Dupl

Dazzle
07-10-2015, 00:19

I always wonder that when people pick up random used pregnancy tests on TV.

swmc66
07-10-2015, 20:04
She will confess or try and lose her virginity with gary before the wedding

parkerman
07-10-2015, 20:08
or try and lose her virginity with gary before the wedding

Too late!

Perdita
07-10-2015, 20:19
Too late!

Not as far as Gary is concerned ...

swmc66
07-10-2015, 20:26
Exactly from the spoilers the panic about the wedding day and what it means for Gary will get to much for her so she will put pressure on him before the wedding. So she will feel less bad on the day. Otherwise the whole wedding day will be ruined for her. She will try and pretendshe is still a virgin i think.

tammyy2j
08-10-2015, 12:49
Gary will expect to see some blood after the deed

I hope Alya isn't pregnant by Jason

Dazzle
08-10-2015, 17:50
Gary will expect to see some blood after the deed

There's not always blood.

tammyy2j
09-10-2015, 22:23
There's not always blood.

Very true I suppose

swmc66
01-11-2015, 17:19
Now its all over the top if you ask me. If they had really done their background research they would have first of all made a big thing about a female muslim marrying out of her faith. This will drive you mad but a man can marry out of his faith but a woman cannot. This assumes that the wife takes on the faith of the husbands. Not true in my families case as my brother married a christian and she remains Christian. However my friend has never married her partner and i think its because of the above and she has hidden her relationship for years as a result. Plus up until recently Gary only stopped drinking. There would have been a whole thing about him converting first before marriage. So this whole story confuses me. Very poor acting from Alya

Perdita
01-11-2015, 17:30
Now its all over the top if you ask me. If they had really done their background research they would have first of all made a big thing about a female muslim marrying out of her faith. This will drive you mad but a man can marry out of his faith but a woman cannot. This assumes that the wife takes on the faith of the husbands. Not true in my families case as my brother married a christian and she remains Christian. However my friend has never married her partner and i think its because of the above and she has hidden her relationship for years as a result. Plus up until recently Gary only stopped drinking. There would have been a whole thing about him converting first before marriage. So this whole story confuses me. Very poor acting from Alya

I know very little about muslim traditions ... are the Nazeers portrayed as more liberal thinking maybe? Or at least where marrying Christians are concerned but not with sex outside of marriage?

swmc66
01-11-2015, 17:43
I have'nt come across a family like this where they have accepted their daughter marrying out of the faith and date hime in the meantime. The ones i know have had to leave home to never return. For years my family even hid the fact that my brother married a white british Christian ( hes been married a few times). He was cut off from the family.. A very painful time. Took ages to get him back into my life because family were obstructing it.
The grandparents and Zeedan seem more traditional.
Times are changing and they are probably showing that

swmc66
01-11-2015, 17:43
I have'nt come across a family like this where they have accepted their daughter marrying out of the faith and date hime in the meantime. The ones i know have had to leave home to never return. For years my family even hid the fact that my brother married a white british Christian ( hes been married a few times). He was cut off from the family.. A very painful time. Took ages to get him back into my life because family were obstructing it.
The grandparents and Zeedan seem more traditional.
Times are changing and they are probably showing that

Perdita
02-11-2015, 11:20
Coronation Street star Sair Khan hopes that it isn't the end of the road for Alya Nazir's relationship with Gary Windass.

Alya's romance hit the rocks in dramatic scenes last week, as she finally confessed to Gary about her one-night stand with Jason Grimshaw.

Gary's furious reaction made it clear that he won't be forgiving Alya for her infidelity anytime soon, but Khan told Digital Spy that she is keen for them to have a future.

"The truth is that I don't know what happens," she admitted. "Normally you get an inkling if you speak to the producers in the canteen queue, but they wouldn't tell me!

"I'm just waiting with bated breath to find out, but I really hope that Alya's relationship with Gary does continue. They're such chalk and cheese. Alya is so haughty and you wouldn't expect her to be with a builder who, on paper, doesn't really seem to have much going for himself.

"I think they do bring out really good sides of each other and it's really interesting to see that. I don't think she'll move on to anyone else anytime soon because I don't think that's her.

"Other characters go from relationship to relationship, but I don't think Alya is like that. Gary is the one for her and I would like them to slowly build back up a relationship."

Khan also tipped the Nazir family to rally round Alya once they've recovered from the shock of her recent behaviour.

She said: "Alya is quite close to her family, so letting them down was quite an extreme for her. She'll try to piece herself back together and rebuild those relationships.

"As upset and disappointed as they are in her, there's a few things that will happen that will help them to reconnect."

digitalspy

sarah c
02-11-2015, 16:22
I do not know that much re Islam but none of the Nazirs seem that devout?

Neither Yasmeen nor Alya wear the hijab - apart from at Kal's funeral, inside the mosque

they both go out socially unaccompanied or chaperoned, and we have never heard of any of the family being at Mosque?

Dazzle
02-11-2015, 16:56
...and we have never heard of any of the family being at Mosque?

I remember at least one scene of them coming home from the mosque and I believe they're supposed to attend regularly. I think they're quite westernised but still hold on to some their traditional values. They were extremely judgemental when they first found out Alya was seeing Gary.

As I said in another post, I think the writing for them has become confused because the Corrie team have tried to make them more likeable recently.

tammyy2j
03-11-2015, 14:33
Why is Izzy mad at Alya, hello Gary dumped her for Alya

I don't think Gary and Alya work well as a couple

Kissinger
04-11-2015, 12:32
Alya's acting is as false as Sharif's (thou I do like him), and as for her brother, sorry he's so annoying, if my brother went on like that with me, I know what i would tell him to do, after all he's not the head of the family, who the hell does he think he is.
Alya should get out of the family home and live a life of her own, if they are to be Westernised, and she was to marry a White English person,then she is moving on, time to move out too!!!

Kissinger
04-11-2015, 12:32
Alya's acting is as false as Sharif's (thou I do like him), and as for her brother, sorry he's so annoying, if my brother went on like that with me, I know what i would tell him to do, after all he's not the head of the family, who the hell does he think he is.
Alya should get out of the family home and live a life of her own, if they are to be Westernised, and she was to marry a White English person,then she is moving on, time to move out too!!!

tammyy2j
04-11-2015, 13:42
Alya was living out of home when Gary first meet her, was she at college studying?

swmc66
04-11-2015, 20:47
I do not know that much re Islam but none of the Nazirs seem that devout?

Neither Yasmeen nor Alya wear the hijab - apart from at Kal's funeral, inside the mosque

they both go out socially unaccompanied or chaperoned, and we have never heard of any of the family being at Mosque?

They do not have to wear a hijab. Its a choice. Some have it imposed on them I just wear a scarf when i pray or go to a funeral. I do my 5 times prayers when people wearing hijabs often dont! But on the outside they look more religious than me. I rarely go into mosques.

parkerman
04-11-2015, 22:25
How dare Anna talk to my Alya like that!:angry:

lizann
05-11-2015, 00:33

as always for anna, her gary does no wrong not like he robbed roy or hit on pregnant tina

Dazzle
05-11-2015, 17:20

Anna's truly unbearable. I hope Kate Oates' very first act is to axe her. I feel guilty for hoping Debbie Rush loses her job, but I don't think the character works any longer (if she ever did).

At least Anna's outburst prompted Sharif to defend your Alya. That would have been a comfort to the poor girl. :D

maidmarian
05-11-2015, 17:43
Anna's truly unbearable. I hope Kate Oates' very first act is to axe her. I feel guilty for hoping Debbie Rush loses her job, but I don't think the character works any longer (if she ever did).

At least Anna's outburst prompted Sharif to defend your Alya. That would have been a comfort to the poor girl. :D

Evil is one thng - and can be interesting if
play well.
I think.Anna is one of the most spiteful
and nasty characters that I can remember
in a soap!?

Dazzle
05-11-2015, 17:49
Evil is one thng - and can be intetesting if
play well.
I think.Anna is one of the most spiteful
and nasty characters that I can remember
in a soap!?

Agreed, and she's not redeemed by being entertaining or interesting. As you say, evil characters can be very watchable, but there's nothing enjoyable about watching Anna Windass.

parkerman
05-11-2015, 18:15
I agree with both of you about Anna. She is a truly awful person. It is a shame for Debbie Rush, because, actually, I think she plays her well, given what she's given by the scriptwriters. In a way that makes it worse because she brings out the horrible and repulsive side of Anna well. But it is just too painful to watch.

Perdita
05-11-2015, 19:48
I agree with both of you about Anna. She is a truly awful person. It is a shame for Debbie Rush, because, actually, I think she plays her well, given what she's given by the scriptwriters. In a way that makes it worse because she brings out the horrible and repulsive side of Anna well. But it is just too painful to watch.

To think she was lovely when the Windass family first arrived :(

maidmarian
05-11-2015, 20:06

It was very short-lived!!

The thing that sticks in my mind-is when
Anna was at her worst with Faye - the actress
was saying that she as a real life mother
would be worse !

I know the actors stick to the party line
in these interviews and want to keep
their jobs-but she seemed OTT.
So.I.did wonder if actresses real personality
had seeped into her portrayal??

lizann
05-11-2015, 20:10
alya or her nana should have slapped anna, i would have

maidmarian
05-11-2015, 20:15
alya or her nana should have slapped anna, i would have

Well her face looks like a smacked bottom
most of the time -so your idea would fit in!

parkerman
05-11-2015, 22:10
Wasn't her introduction an argument with Joe McIntyre, David Platt and Tina when her and Eddie refused to pay the rent or something?

Dazzle
06-11-2015, 01:02
Wasn't her introduction an argument with Joe McIntyre, David Platt and Tina when her and Eddie refused to pay the rent or something?

The Windasses were introduced as a scumbag family who got Joe to build them a new kitchen and refused to pay for it (causing him to spiral into debt and accidentally kill himself). Of course, they were given character transplants when they moved to Coronation Street, and I must confess to quite liking Anna for a while. She's reverted back to type nowadays. :thumbsdow

LollyCarpenter
06-11-2015, 04:51
I quite enjoyed the Windass family when they first came to the street but can't stand Anna now. She's being vicious to Alya who I feel sorry for. Her nastiness is hard to watch, especially as Alya is already beating herself up over the fling with Jason. Anna's a hyupocrite anyway. She cheated on Owen with Phelan so she's got no room to judge Alya for one mistake.

Perdita
06-11-2015, 05:35
I quite enjoyed the Windass family when they first came to the street but can't stand Anna now. She's being vicious to Alya who I feel sorry for. Her nastiness is hard to watch, especially as Alya is already beating herself up over the fling with Jason. Anna's a hyupocrite anyway. She cheated on Owen with Phelan so she's got no room to judge Alya for one mistake.

Anna sleeping with Phelan was a bit different, he blackmailed her into it

swmc66
06-11-2015, 07:40
The actress came on loose women and she was really nice and not like her character at all.
the character is rough with no class whats so ever
Her Gary has robbed people, he has also caused all that problem with Phelan he is a liability so she should not be on her high horse.
She slept with Phelan has she forgotton that even if she was doing it for her family she was in a relationship with Owen.
Its not as if it sorted out their problems as they lost everything anyway.
The actress was OTT with a face like a bulldog when she was attacking Alya and her family. Now they are pairing her with Kevin its going to be worse

LollyCarpenter
06-11-2015, 09:25
The actress came on loose women and she was really nice and not like her character at all.
Her Gary has robbed people, he has also caused all that problem with Phelan he is a liability so she should not be on her high horse.
She slept with Phelan has she forgotton that even if she was doing it for her family she was in a relationship with Owen.
The actress was OTT with a face like a bulldog when she was attacking Alya and her family. Now they are pairing her with Kevin its going to be worse

She was horrible to Owen too, she couldnt understand why he was hurt about her sleeping with another man even if she felt she was doing it for the right reasons, and seemed upset that he wasn't more grateful to her for what she'd done. I felt bad for Owen at the time and had no sympathy at all for Anna. Anna and Kevin seem like an odd pairing, not sure theyre a fit.

maidmarian
06-11-2015, 09:41

She was horrible to Owen too, she couldnt understand why he was hurt about her sleeping with another man even if she felt she was doing it for the right reasons, and seemed upset that he wasn't more grateful to her for what she'd done. I felt bad for Owen at the time and had no sympathy at all for Anna. Anna and Kevin seem like an odd pairing, not sure theyre a fit.

Well Kevin.&Anna are both unattached - thats all
they need for a relationship -in Soaps.
I dont think compatabiliy comes into it.

But if Jenny Bradley comes back -she may
consider she has a prior claim - so we could
have the Battle of the Bulldogs??
Very similar personalities!
Very self - centred and short memories
over own behaviour

lizann
06-11-2015, 11:41

after gary beat him up plus wasn't it anna and gary who pushed owen into business with phelan

lizann
06-11-2015, 11:41

after gary beat him up plus wasn't it anna and gary who pushed owen into business with phelan

swmc66
06-11-2015, 15:58
If Jenny kills Anna I may warm to her character!

sarah c
06-11-2015, 19:37

I thought Anna was always a bit reluctant re the Phelan business deal?

but when she arrived on the street, she was the grounded to Eddie's lazy uselessness? and she worked and you felt for her

I understand mothers (parents) sticking up for their offspring, but her support of Gary throughout the Roy beating etc has been OTT - she has never been shown taking Gary to task off to one side?

sarah c
06-11-2015, 19:45
:clap::angel:

but when she arrived on the street, she was the grounded to Eddie's lazy uselessness? and she worked and you felt for her

I understand mothers (parents) sticking up for their offspring, but her support of Gary throughout the Roy beating etc has been OTT - she has never been shown taking Gary to task off to one side?

my Mum always stuck up for me throughout any 'slip up...' but I didnt half get an ear bashing off to the side:angel:

Dazzle
07-11-2015, 00:49
I have to do an about turn here and defend Anna for sleeping with Phelan. It made my skin crawl at the time and felt to me to be verging on rape. Yes, Anna technically consented, but only under extreme duress. Everything about her screamed "no" and Phelan knew that and took sadistic delight in it. :angry:

However stupid and misguided, she really believed it was the only way to save her family.

lizann
07-11-2015, 03:29

was owen reluctant with anna finally persuading him to join phelan in end

Dazzle
07-11-2015, 11:49
was owen reluctant with anna finally persuading him to join phelan in end

Yes, Owen was talked into doing the deal with Phelan by the rest of the family, although he has to bear some responsibility too. He could have stayed strong listened to his gut instinct.

tammyy2j
07-11-2015, 23:21
Alya and Gary never made a good couple to me, I think her and Aidan have potential

lizann
23-03-2016, 22:12
Alya and Gary never made a good couple to me, I think her and Aidan have potential

does she not work with aidan at the factory anymore, was she a pa or is that now kate or eva's job

lizann
23-03-2016, 22:12

does she not work with aidan at the factory anymore, was she a pa or is that now kate or eva's job

Dazzle
24-03-2016, 07:11

Alya is a Trainee Manager. She hasn't appeared much recently but I assume she's still supposed to be doing the same job until we're told otherwise.

Sally was the PA until she was demoted by Johnny because she got on his nerves. He said at the time there were plenty of them working in the office so there was no longer any need for a PA. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Aidan promotes Eva to the position after she appears to have saved the factory single-handedly lol.

tammyy2j
19-07-2016, 14:52

She was back working there again I think in the office

I still think her and Aidan would make a good couple

swmc66
31-07-2016, 19:19
Factory staff have strange JDs. One minute they are behind a machine then promoted then sent back to the sewing machines. I suppose they have placed Alya back in the main offices for the explosion storyline?

lizann
20-09-2016, 00:16
alya blackmails grand daddy over his affair for cash for a factory project

olivia1896
20-09-2016, 01:10
alya blackmails grand daddy over his affair for cash for a factory project

Yeah just read the interview on digital spy. Apparantly she just wants Sharif to suffer

Perdita
20-09-2016, 05:49
Coronation Street explores a whole new side to Alya Nazir next week as she ruthlessly blackmails her grandfather Sharif for cash.

When Alya uncovers part of Sharif's big secret by forcing him to admit that he's cheated on Yasmeen with Sonia, she decides to use the situation to her advantage by extorting money from him.

That's certainly not the Alya we all know! Sair Khan, who plays her, reveals all here...

How does Alya feel when she finds out about Sharif's affair?

"Alya feels completely dumbfounded. She had suspicions that something was going on between him and Sonia, but she never thought she was going to be proved right. She only ever thought it was flirting and in her head that was the worst case scenario - it wasn't on and she was going to tell him off.

"Alya never even contemplated the reality of what Sharif has been up to and she's so shocked. Alya's always looked up to her grandparents and held them in such high regard, so this causes her to lose all respect for Sharif.

"Initially she doesn't find out the duration of the affair. She thinks it was a one-time thing years ago, so for her to have such a strong reaction without knowing the full truth says something about how disturbed she is by it all."

Is Alya tempted to tell Yasmeen?

"The only thing that's stopping her from telling Yasmeen the truth is that Sharif plays it down so much and tells her it happened a long time ago and he has massive regrets.

"She wants to tell Yasmeen the truth but she doesn't know what good it's going to do. She's scared of breaking up the family and she doesn't want to be the one who has to tear the family apart."

But then she ends up blackmailing Sharif! What do you make of this ruthless side of Alya?

"I think there are a few aspects to the blackmail. One is that Alya is furious with Sharif. He's also got the cash at his disposal because he's about to buy Sonia a flat, but yet he won't invest in her. Also she wants to punish him. She doesn't want him to have his cake and eat it.

"Alya's trying to make the best of a bad situation for herself. Her main motivation isn't to get herself ahead, though, it's to punish Sharif. It's not as selfish as it seems."

Why does Alya need the money she asks Sharif for?

"Alya is trying to set up a new business with Aidan, running alongside Underworld. Last year she made some bespoke basques with Sinead and when Aidan finds the designs, he thinks he has clients who'd be interested.

"But they realise they're going to need some new machinery to recreate the embroidery on the designs, so she needs the money to buy this expensive machine. She wants to become 50/50 business partners with Aidan on this side strand of the factory - she wants a bit more power."
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/37/768x432/gallery-1473677505-soaps-coronation-street-sinead-alya-design-ideas-3.jpg
Sinead Tinker and Alya Nazir discuss their design ideas at the factory in Coronation Street
© ITV
Alya seems to be turning into a hard-nosed businesswoman - and even tells Sinead that she's no longer required! Would you say she's very ambitious?

"I think Alya is very ambitious. When she came onto the street having finished university, she had grand plans to start her own business and that's always been her goal. But over the last two years, she's had so many setbacks in her personal life that it's been really difficult for her to achieve her dream.

"When she blamed Carla for her dad Kal's death, that really set her back in the factory, so she's been doing her best to get back up the ladder ever since. When this opportunity arises, she's determined to make the most of it.

"Everything else is falling to pieces around her after the discovery of Sharif's affair and it's only her work, her drive and her ambition that are holding her together at the moment.

"In terms of Sinead, it's nothing personal. It's just that she knows to focus on the business and make any money out of it she can't have any spare parts and Sinead's collateral damage, sorry!"

Would you like to explore an even darker side to Alya's character?

"Yes I'd definitely like to see her go darker. Reflecting on everything that's happened to her over the last few years, I don't think you would just be bright and bubbly. She's been orphaned, lost what she thought was the love of her life through a stupid mistake which nearly ripped her family apart, and now she's realised she's on her own. She's got to look out for herself."

How did you all react as an on-screen family when you learned about Sharif's affair twist?

"We all reacted very positively, because as a family it gives us all so much to play out. It sticks us bang in the middle of all the conflict. It was set up so perfectly after seeing Sharif's strong reaction towards Alya when he found out about her fling with Jason. Now we find out he's had an affair, the hypocrisy of the situation is great to play."

What is your dream storyline for Alya? Underworld's new boss, perhaps?

"My dream for Alya wouldn't be to own Underworld, but to own her own business on the street that would rival Underworld and be better. And to see her become a bit of a business mogul - she's got dreams that are bigger than just knicker factories."

Is it about time Alya found a new man?

"It's absolutely time that Alya found a new man. Gary's moved on and she's genuinely happy for him. She's put to bed what happened even though she'll always love him and it's great to see him looking to the future and she wants the same for herself.

"She needs someone to test her, so we can see a different side to her. I think she needs an older man, who's strong, who's got their life sorted and who's got focus and drive like she has."

Digital Spy

tammyy2j
20-09-2016, 16:17
I don't like this side to Alya but glad she have more scenes with Aidan as they would work better as a couple

Perdita
20-09-2016, 17:05
I don't like this side to Alya but glad she have more scenes with Aidan as they would work better as a couple

Must admit, don´t like this storyline, hope it does not last long with repeated demands of money

tammyy2j
27-09-2016, 15:50
Must admit, don´t like this storyline, hope it does not last long with repeated demands of money

Her nana won't be so proud she knew and demanded money :angry:

swmc66
27-09-2016, 22:46
Do not like this change of character in Alya. What next will Zeedan become the local gangster? Their grandad has also shown us a completely different character. So does this mean no one can have a set personality and it changes with the wind on a weekly basis like Todd!

swmc66
28-09-2016, 07:30
Maybe they could have sharif raid company bank account and disappear after last night! That would be convincing.

Perdita
28-09-2016, 08:51
They could recast him . would save a lot of re-writing storylines, most of the time hastily re-written scripts are not very good

tammyy2j
28-09-2016, 11:22
Do not like this change of character in Alya. What next will Zeedan become the local gangster? Their grandad has also shown us a completely different character. So does this mean no one can have a set personality and it changes with the wind on a weekly basis like Todd!

I think Todd has always had a bad side :p

alan45
28-09-2016, 17:46
They could recast him . would save a lot of re-writing storylines, most of the time hastily re-written scripts are not very good

Corrie is famous for doing head transplants. It usually happens when a character goes upstairs and comes down with a new head and body. Its a tough call but on this occasion I think there is a good chance of a plausible exit storyline for the character. The seeds have already been sown.

Perdita
28-09-2016, 17:54
Marc Anwar allegedly was leaving at the end of this year anyway so that might already reflect in storylines involving him

Dazzle
28-09-2016, 18:17
The affair revelation does seem like a natural end for the character of Sharif. The revelation has apparently already been filmed so it'll be interesting to see how the Corrie team handle it (since I've heard that they're going to try to cut down the character's screen time as much as possible).

lizann
22-12-2016, 22:57
living with kate so will they get closer :p

lizann
19-06-2017, 21:29
if rana getting with kate, is it luke for alya

Perdita
12-12-2017, 04:39
Coronation Street will explore a racism storyline when Alya Nazir makes a disturbing discovery about Underworld's new clients.

The storyline begins over Christmas when Alya (Sair Khan) starts to grow suspicious over why she's being cut out of key business meetings.

Alya and Aidan Connor (Shayne Ward) have vowed to join forces to get Underworld back on top, but we've already seen Alya become annoyed with Aidan for arranging an important meeting behind her back.

During the Christmas fortnight, Alya gets upset when she realises that Aidan has now arranged another meeting with the new clients without her, realising there must be a hidden agenda behind this strange behaviour.

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/50/768x416/gallery-1513032344-soaps-coronation-street-alya-aidan-clients-2.JPG
Alya Nazir and Aidan Connor meet the new Underworld clients in Coronation Street
© ITV

Alya initially assumes that the two men – Justin and Dale Parker – are sexist and don't want to meet with her because she's a woman.

Determined to prove herself, no-nonsense Alya meets with the guys anyway, but is soon shocked to uncover the real reason she's being cut out.

As the discussions get under way, it becomes obvious that the Parkers are both racists as they make some appalling remarks about Alya and her religion.

Alya is stunned by what she's hearing, but knowing that the Underworld staff are all relying on the Parkers' support to get back in business, will she be forced to keep quiet rather than standing up for what's right?

And how will Aidan feel about the disgraceful way Alya is being treated?

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/50/768x417/gallery-1513032377-soaps-coronation-street-3-alya-aidan-clients-3.JPG
Alya Nazir and Aidan Connor meet the new Underworld clients in Coronation Street
© ITV

Coronation Street airs these scenes on Wednesday, December 27 at 7.30pm on ITV.

Digital Spy

lizann
11-01-2018, 18:03
her acting showing up bad in her teary scenes grieving for luke

lizann
04-04-2018, 23:59
she is a bad actress, crying scenes terrible

Perdita
05-04-2018, 04:37
she is a bad actress, crying scenes terrible

Also too many .. somebody please suggest to her to get counselling to help her cope with her grief

Perdita
30-05-2018, 04:37
Coronation Street star Sair Khan has backed her character Alya Nazir in the battle for Underworld.

Alya receives a huge shock next week when she's informed that Aidan Connor left the factory to her in his will.

Carla, Michelle and Jenny have already been aware of the will's contents for a couple of weeks now, but they've kept Alya out of the picture while they figure out a way to keep hold of the business.

Speaking about the storyline for the first time, Sair has now pointed out why it makes sense for Aidan to have left the factory to Alya – and why she'll put up a fight against Carla.

Sair explained: "When Carla left, Alya took an instrumental role in the factory and worked her way back up.

"The factory was robbed and everyone was out of a job, but Alya played a big part in rallying the troops, so she has put a lot of time, effort, blood, sweat and tears into it. She feels at home there, so it means a lot to Alya.

"Alya is trying to keep the vision alive that she and Aidan have created in Carla's absence, so she has a very strong and unique idea about where this factory is heading, but Carla keeps undermining her, which is really unfair."

She continued: "There is a lot of friction there, because Alya doesn't believe in what Carla is doing and she doesn't think it's what Aidan would have wanted either.

"Alya thinks the friction is because she's fresh and she has all the good, current ideas, whereas Carla left but is now trying to prove that she is still boss. As far as Alya is concerned, Carla doesn't like the fact that Alya has built herself back up and resents that."

Asked how Alya reacts to the revelation about Aidan's will, Sair replied: "It's complete disbelief and shock but actually, when she thinks about it, it does make sense because Aidan knew how much Alya believes in the factory.

"Money aside, talking about dreams, ambitions and hopes for the future, they shared the same vision, so in that respect it does make sense for Aidan to give Alya the factory to carry that legacy on for him.

"I absolutely, one hundred percent think that Alya can run the factory without Carla, but she needs help and support around her, people that believe in her like her family and the factory workers, because they are the cogs in the machine that keep everything running.

"I think Alya needs to stay strong, stay focused, believe in what she's doing, and as long as she has the support of her family, she can do this.

"It's really interesting to explore this new-found relationship between Alya and Carla because when Alya first started she was young, naive and didn't know the business world very well… but now Carla Connor has met her match!" :nono:

Digital Spy

swmc66
31-05-2018, 10:18
She is the worst character besides Sinead on the street.

Brucie
16-11-2018, 11:39
I'm guessing that Parkerman will be glued to I'm a Celebrity Get me out of Here this year - he won't be the only one!

parkerman
16-11-2018, 11:48
I'm guessing that Parkerman will be glued to I'm a Celebrity Get me out of Here this year - he won't be the only one!

Much as I am in love with Alya, I'm afraid I just cannot bring myself to watch I'm a Celebrity...You can have her all to yourself, Brucie!

Brucie
16-11-2018, 13:25
Cheers Parkerman. At least I've heard of a few of the contestants this year, so it's not it's usual "I'm a Non-entity get me out of here"! Maybe I'll seek highlights on catch up.

Perdita
18-11-2018, 06:54
Well, you should be able to get more than your fill next year going by this.....
http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/news/a870805/coronation-street-im-a-celebrity-sair-khan-hints-big-story-alya-nazir/

lizann
10-04-2019, 20:57
is she next for kate?

swmc66
11-04-2019, 13:08
I hear she is the mystery text person. She has always had a nasty side to her

parkerman
11-04-2019, 18:02
Yes, she was "outed" last night.

Perdita
11-04-2019, 18:07
Yes, she was "outed" last night.

Why though? Still upset with not getting her hands on Underworld ???

lizann
11-04-2019, 20:20
Why though? Still upset with not getting her hands on Underworld ???

carla blamed for kal and luke's deaths too

Perdita
12-04-2019, 04:11
carla blamed for kal and luke's deaths too

Pat Phelan killed Luke .. she cannot hold Carla responsible for that..?

lizann
12-04-2019, 11:19
Pat Phelan killed Luke .. she cannot hold Carla responsible for that..?

she made comment of again no justice, did alya ever do anything to tracy?

Perdita
14-05-2022, 10:02
https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/a39976492/coronation-street-alya-nazir-new-storyline/

Coronation Street star Sair Khan has teased a big new turn for her character Alya Nazir on the soap.

Alya has been at the centre of many notable storylines over the years, most recently brother Zeedan's money laundering plot.

Sair has now revealed that the soap is "taking things in a really different direction" for her character in an upcoming plotline *? though remained tight-lipped on specific details of what will occur.

"Well my dream storyline, actually, I think it might just be about to happen!" she told the Daily Star. "I had a chat with the producer last week and we're taking things in a really different direction.

"Something really unexpected happens and it changes Alya's perspective on everything, so it's a future that wasn't expected but I'm really excited about it."

Teasing things further, the actress noted that people have "demons", suggesting some secrets may be about to come to the fore for Alya.

What could we be about to learn?

"Everyone's got secrets, haven't they? Everyone's got a few demons in the closet," Sair continued.

"The great thing about our producer Iain [MacLeod] and his wife Verity [assistant producer at Coronation Street] is they love to speak to you about your character, they love hearing your ideas.

"I'm all for demons and darkness!"

Sair has played Alya on the ITV soap since 2014, and has also appeared on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!, appearing on the 2018 series of the show.

lizann
04-11-2022, 01:44
Dee-Dee has taken notice of Alya's aptitude for the legal system and, in upcoming scenes, will offer her a job as a legal secretary.

The lawyer offers to train up Alya in the process.

Perdita
13-12-2023, 16:09
https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/a46116078/coronation-street-sair-khan-announces-pregnancy/

Congratulations are in order for Coronation Street star Sair Khan, who has announced that she is expecting her first baby.

The Alya Nazir actress revealed the happy news on Instagram, saying that her pregnancy comes after a "challenging" year for herself and partner Nathan Chilton.

"Hello? It?s been a little while since posting on here which has been a real mix of emotions," the star explained on a reel of photos, which include Sair showing her growing baby bump.

"With all that is happening in the world, it didn?t feel like the right time to share, but we also know it?s okay to keep hope and pray for peace whilst acknowledging that we feel blessed and grateful.

"Last year was a challenging time for us both, with Nathan?s chondroblastoma surgery on his pelvis. It?s been a long road to recovery and still has many obstacles ahead as we deal with the spread of the tumour to his lungs."

The actress continued: "Life can be difficult and there?ll always be challenges to face but there are also important lessons to be learnt and gifts to be cherished.

"We?re so excited for the arrival of Baby Chilton in spring 2024."

Sair has since received many congratulations in the comments, with fellow Corrie actor Adam Hussain (Aadi Alahan) writing: "Congratulations, you beautiful couple!"

Former show star Catherine Tyldesley (Eva Price) added: "Oh my love!!!! This is the best news. Congratulations guys", while Kym Marsh (Michelle Connor) said: "Oh this is beautiful news. Sending you both lots of love xxx".

Back in 2020, Sair was hilariously forced to deny that she was pregnant after posting a photo of herself cradling her stomach.

"OMG I'M NOT PREGNANT!!" she clarified at the time. "That was a terrible choice of picture to post. It was just a food baby but I thought I looked cute."

Sair further quipped: "Genuinely not [pregnant]. I just really enjoyed my fish and chips at lunch."

So, a quick relationship going to be introduced or will we see lots of shots with big coats and handbags in front of her?? :hmm:

lizann
14-12-2023, 13:51
will alya get pregnant, the actress pregnancy written in, one night with adam or back with ryan?

Perdita
02-03-2024, 06:24
You can clearly see that she is fairly advanced in her pregnancy so will Ryan's return be part of her exit storyline to cover her maternity leave ???

lizann
11-05-2024, 01:06
Sair Khan has announced the birth of her child.

The actor, who has played Alya Nazir in Corrie since 2014, shared the wonderful news of her son's arrival on Instagram on Wednesday (May 9).