PDA

View Full Version : Poldark

tammyy2j
04-03-2014, 01:12
BBC One today announced that Aidan Turner will star as Ross Poldark in Debbie Horsfield’s adaptation of Winston Graham’s saga set in 18th century Cornwall.

Britain is in the grip of a chilling recession... falling wages, rising prices, civil unrest - only the bankers are smiling. It's 1783 and Ross Poldark returns from the American War of Independence to his beloved Cornwall to find his world in ruins: his father dead, the family mine long since closed, his house wrecked and his sweetheart pledged to marry his cousin. But Ross finds that hope and love can be found when you are least expecting it in the wild but beautiful Cornish landscape.

Aidan Turner said: "I'm very excited to play Ross Poldark for the BBC and it's obviously a huge challenge to honour the extraordinary character Winston Graham created and who Debbie Horsfield has brought new life to. But there's a terrific team coming together and the scripts are superb, so I can't wait to get started."

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, says: "We are really excited. He is a brilliant actor, he is part of the BBC family, we are incredibly thrilled he is coming back from Hollywood from The Hobbit in order to lead Poldark for BBC One."

Poldark will be in eight 60-minute episodes.

lizann
04-03-2014, 20:13
aiden is a great actor and is very easy on the eye

tammyy2j
01-04-2014, 00:26
Eleanor Tomlinson has joined the cast of BBC One's upcoming new adaptation of Winston Graham's Poldark.

The White Queen actress will star as "fiercely independent heroine" Demelza in the drama.

Aidan Turner will lead the cast as Ross Poldark in the retelling from Debbie Horsfield.

Set in 18th century Cornwall, Poldark is an eight-part hour-long series and will film in Cornwall and Bristol from April.

Poldark will follow the rebellious Ross as he returns from the American War of Independence to Cornwall, discovering that his home county has changed since he has been away.

The BBC previously produced a Poldark series in the 1970s, starring Robin Ellis as Ross Poldark.

The new series will air on BBC One in 2015.

Tomlinson is best known for her roles of Isabel Neville in The White Queen and Georgiana Darcy in Death Comes to Pemberley. She has also starred in episodes of Poirot and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

tammyy2j
01-04-2014, 00:26

tammyy2j
28-02-2015, 00:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A0U6kQNCN0&feature=player_embedded

It starts on Sunday 8th of March at 9pm

Perdita
05-03-2015, 21:24
Aidan Turner has described BBC One's new Poldark series as "sexy as hell".

The Being Human actor plays dashing Ross Poldark in a new 8-part serial, based on Winston Graham's novels.
http://i2.cdnds.net/15/10/618x428/8101117-low_res-poldark.jpg
Aidan Turner in Poldark
© BBC/Mammoth Screen/Mike Hogan

"It's sexy as hell," Turner told press including Digital Spy. "I have a nude swimming scene - I get naked a couple of times in it.

"I wasn't allowed any Cornish pasties, 'cos I'd get fat - and I have to take my top off so much!"

Poldark was previously adapted for television in the '70s, but Turner said he is not concerned about how fans of the original might react to the new version.

"I don't think about it like that," he insisted. "You tackle the scripts and it's just like anything else - you don't think about letting down the fans of the old series or appealing to new fans…

"You just don't think about those things, you've got so much else going on, that doesn't even come into it. I don't get stressed - maybe I should. Wait until the series comes out and I get panned!"
http://i2.cdnds.net/11/03/618x394/550w_cult_being_human_0301_6.jpg
Being Human S03E01 - Mitchell
© BBC
Aidan Turner as Mitchell in Being Human

Turner is best known for his role as vampire Mitchell in BBC Three's Being Human and for playing Kili in The Hobbit movies.

"In recent years, I've only played supernatural characters - if it wasn't a werewolf or a dwarf or a vampire or something, it wasn't for me!" he joked.

"This is a more grown-up role for me - it's not that adolescent fandom, small demographic, sci-fi or fantasy sort of thing - it just resounded more with me."
http://i1.cdnds.net/15/10/618x412/8101317-low_res-poldark.jpg
Aidan Turner in Poldark
© BBC/Mammoth Screen/Mike Hogan

Winston Graham penned 12 Poldark novels between 1945 and 2002, with Turner voicing his interest in bringing the entire canon to the screen.

"It's about six seasons' worth!" he said. "I'm up for six, if we make it that far - it's hard to know what an audience wants to see these days.

"We think we have a really good show but you can never tell - I don't think anybody expected Downton Abbey to be so popular… you just never know.

"Being Human… we never expected that to be popular and it just took off. You can never tell - there is no formula for success in television."

Aidan Turner stars in Poldark, beginning this Sunday (March 8) at 9pm on BBC One.

DaVeyWaVey
15-03-2015, 09:23
I really enjoyed the first episode of Poldark. I'm not really keen on period dramas, but thought I would give this one a chance. It was really easy to get into, i like the story so far and I think Aidan Turner is good as Poldark. Looking forward to tonight's episode!

Perdita
15-03-2015, 09:30
hi Dave, good to see you again, glad you like Poldark, I do too :)

DaVeyWaVey
15-03-2015, 09:33
Hi Perdita, nice to see you again too :) have you read any of the Poldark books? If the series carries on being as good as this, I might buy the first book on my Kindle.

Perdita
15-03-2015, 09:34
No, never read any of the books but I must admit to be very tempted now ... got to read parkerman's new book first though :D

Dazzle
15-03-2015, 12:08
I haven't watched it yet, though I've got it recorded. I'm a big fan of Aidan Turner though! :wub:

DaVeyWaVey
15-03-2015, 22:57
A brilliant episode tonight. Really liked the scenes at the dance, you could see the chemistry between Ross and Elizabeth - it was electric! And the bombshell at the end, how is Ross going to cope with that?!

When Demelza was admiring the view seeing Ross naked in the water, I couldn't blame her. Aidan Turner is gorgeous. Ross and Demelza will get together I think, and that will ruffle a few feathers. Poldark is his own person with his own identity, an independent lone wolf, and getting with Demelza will go against a lot of expectations.

Nice to see some other characters take centre stage in this episode too. I felt so sorry for Verity - Poldark was the only one with an open mind with regards to her relationship. That stand off between that guy and Francis was tense! And Ross showed what a hero he was by saving his cousin, despite the hurt he's feeling at him taking Elizabeth.

DaVeyWaVey
15-03-2015, 22:57
A brilliant episode tonight. Really liked the scenes at the dance, you could see the chemistry between Ross and Elizabeth - it was electric! And the bombshell at the end, how is Ross going to cope with that?!

When Demelza was admiring the view seeing Ross naked in the water, I couldn't blame her. Aidan Turner is gorgeous. Ross and Demelza will get together I think, and that will ruffle a few feathers. Poldark is his own person with his own identity, an independent lone wolf, and getting with Demelza will go against a lot of expectations.

Nice to see some other characters take centre stage in this episode too. I felt so sorry for Verity - Poldark was the only one with an open mind with regards to her relationship. That stand off between that guy and Francis was tense! And Ross showed what a hero he was by saving his cousin, despite the hurt he's feeling at him taking Elizabeth.

lizann
16-03-2015, 01:48
not keen on elizabeth or the actress who plays her she seems to overact constantly

hward
19-03-2015, 22:26
Brilliant series, wasn't sure during the first half of episode 1, but I'm hooked now. Thought episode 2 was really excellent and can't wait for Sunday now. Hopefully a few more shirtless Aiden Turner scenes too!

parkerman
19-03-2015, 23:30
And how about some shirtless Eleanor Tomlinson scenes as well?

parkerman
22-03-2015, 22:20
Crikey, nearly got my wish tonight!:)

alan45
23-03-2015, 11:13
And how about some shirtless Eleanor Tomlinson scenes as well?

Just so long as she hasnt a hairy chest too

tammyy2j
23-03-2015, 17:23
Poldark and Demelza got married is this too soon, was it this soon in the original series?

I thought she was pregnant in this book

tammyy2j
23-03-2015, 17:23

DaVeyWaVey
23-03-2015, 19:04
I am really enjoying this, but the story does seem to be moving on really quickly! I was surprised they got married at the end, I thought the romance between Ross and Demelza was going to be a slow burner.

lizann
23-03-2015, 21:22
i would marry aiden's ross poldark that fast too

hward
24-03-2015, 07:51
Poldark and Demelza got married is this too soon, was it this soon in the original series?

I thought she was pregnant in this book

I don't think she was pregnant straight away in the book when they got married, but she was in the original series, at least that's what I've read.

I think it's moved so quickly because the series covers book 1 and 2.

I'm loving the series though.

Dazzle
24-03-2015, 12:45
I should have resisted reading all of your comments as I've spoiled it for myself now. I seriously need to catch up on this series before I read any more spoilers! :wall:

I've liked Aiden Turner since he was in Being Human, so I saw him first!!! :wub: :p

tammyy2j
24-03-2015, 16:24
Irish Poldark star Aidan Turner engaged to actress girlfriend Sarah Greene http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/irish-poldark-star-aidan-turner-engaged-to-actress-girlfriend-sarah-greene-31087279.html

alan45
24-03-2015, 17:10
I should have resisted reading all of your comments as I've spoiled it for myself now.

Even Parkerman's and mine????

parkerman
24-03-2015, 17:37
Yes, now Dazzle knows that Demelza has a hairy chest.

Dazzle
24-03-2015, 17:46

No, I wouldn't call all that talk of bare chests spoilers. More like teasers... :D

Yes, now Dazzle knows that Demelza has a hairy chest.

That juicy bit of information has made me pretty excited to catch up with the series! :ninja:

lizann
24-03-2015, 18:06
Irish Poldark star Aidan Turner engaged to actress girlfriend Sarah Greene http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/irish-poldark-star-aidan-turner-engaged-to-actress-girlfriend-sarah-greene-31087279.html

im changing my name to sarah

lizann
24-03-2015, 18:06

im changing my name to sarah

Perdita
24-03-2015, 19:34
:crying::crying::crying:

Dazzle
25-03-2015, 16:16
I watched the first episode last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nice that there's lighthearted moments to balance all the brooding! I love Jud ("ted'n'right, ted'n'proper") and Prudie. :D

Sad to see Warren Clarke in his final role before his death. :(

Needless to say Aidan Turner got me quite hot and bothered and I haven't even seen that famous hairy chest yet! :heart: :ninja:

parkerman
25-03-2015, 23:48
I haven't even seen that famous hairy chest yet! :heart: :ninja:
Whose, Demelza's?

hward
08-04-2015, 16:52
Poldark has been commissioned for a second series. :)

Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson will return as Ross and Demelza in a new eight-part series written by Debbie Horsfield that will cover Winston Graham’s third and fourth books.

hward
08-04-2015, 16:52
Dupl

lizann
27-04-2015, 21:52
crying from that finale still

hward
28-04-2015, 16:16
I know! It was so emotional, and left a cliffhanger for series 2. Sunday nights are going to be dull without that chest though!

tammyy2j
20-09-2015, 23:17
The writer of BBC One’s Poldark has promised that the period drama’s second season will “really do justice” to Winston Graham’s novels.

Writer Debbie Horsfield commented: “It’s really exciting to be back in Cornwall for the start of filming on Series 2. Needless to say it will be another rollercoaster ride for the Poldarks and we’re thrilled that that the BBC have given us an extended run of 10 episodes so that we can really do justice to books three and four of Winston Graham’s saga.”

The Hobbit actor Aidan Turner, who plays Ross, added: “I love playing Ross Poldark and am proud to be a part of this production. The second series of 10 episodes presents a whole new set of challenges for both him and me and I can’t wait for it to kick off again.”
Poldark 2 Aidan Turner
Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning teased: “It’s exciting to be bringing this wonderful cast back together as we continue the story of Poldark. Debbie has done a magnificent job once again, bringing the next two books to screen – so much happens she needed a further two episodes! I know fans of the show will be once again gripped by what happens to all those much loved characters, as well as enjoying the new characters who have joined us.”

New additions to the Poldark cast will include Midsomer Murders star John Nettles as Ray Penvenen, one of the county’s wealthiest landowners.

lizann
06-07-2016, 22:25
it has got a season 3 now too

tammyy2j
06-08-2016, 00:25
10 brand new episodes start on 4th September 2016

https://youtu.be/ZFMUN-CIPUg

Perdita
02-09-2016, 10:26
4th September 2016, 9.00 - 10.00pm

George Warleggan (Jack Farthing) is building his case against Ross (Aidan Turner) so Pascoe forces Ross to prepare a will in case the worst happens - while Demelza (Eleanor Tomlinson) visits their neighbour Ray Penvenen (John Nettles) to gain an ally.

Francis (Kyle Soller) seeks reconciliation but Ross refuses, and Francis takes this badly. Elizabeth (Heida Reed) attempts to negotiate a ceasefire between Ross and George too, persuading George to offer Ross his help in influencing the court. However, Ross rejects this offer as well, seeing that the price of friendship with George is too high.

The court case takes place in Bodmin, which is overwhelmed with crowds who are there for the county election. George is funding a candidate, Unwin Trevaunance (Hugh Skinner), in the hope of extending the reach of his own influence; however, Unwin is more concerned with his pursuit of Ray Penvenen’s niece, Caroline (Gabriella Wilde), who herself has taken a liking to Dr Dwight Enys (Luke Norris).

Francis, consumed with guilt for betraying Ross, tells George what he really thinks of him before making his way into Dwight’s lodgings and attempting to kill himself. George offers to stand up for Ross in court if he will accept his friendship, but Ross refuses. Demelza tries to meet Justice Lister to tell him that George is perverting justice but George has the doormen prevent her from entering.

Ross begins to realise that he may well be hanged tomorrow...

Perdita
02-09-2016, 10:27
11th Sept 2016

The election results are announced and Unwin is tied for the second seat - but the mob has reached boiling point and Unwin Trevaunance (Hugh Skinner) is attacked.

Elizabeth (Heida Reed) travels to Bodmin, knowing if she does not she will not be able to stop worrying about Francis, or Ross. George (Jack Farthing) eavesdrops on Demelza’s (Eleanor Tomlinson) conversation with Justice Lister, intervening to reveal she is the wife of the trial’s defendant and attempting to influence the case.

Dwight discovers Francis very much alive in his room and persuades Francis not to try again. Meanwhile the prosecution ties the rioting of the previous night to Ross’s behaviour and presents a series of witnesses supposedly comprised of Ross’s friends. However, when Jud (Phil Davis) is on the stand, he comes out with an unexpected account of events.

Ross prepares to make his speech - one prepared by his Clymer - but goes decidedly off-script, sticking true to his principles. Despite Justice Lister wishing to make an example of Ross’s revolutionary ways, will the jury of Cornishmen rally to save Ross…

Perdita
02-09-2016, 10:28
18th Sep 2016

Ross (Aidan Turner) plans to expand Wheal Leisure and persuades the other shareholders to invest in a new tunnelling scheme.

Meanwhile, Unwin Trevaunance (Hugh Skinner) decides that he will plant his political flag by cracking down on lawlessness, particularly smuggling. Demelza (Eleanor Tomlinson) continues to hide her pregnancy from Ross, believing that he does not want the child.

With the interest now due on the promissory note Ross secured from Pascoe, Ross and Demelza have to find £400. Jud (Phil Davis) is attacked for recanting his testimony in court and left for dead. Ross accepts Francis’ (Kyle Soller) invitation to spend the Harvest festival at Trenwith, united now by a shared hatred of George Warleggan.

Francis reveals to Ross he has £600 set aside which he plans to invest in mining. Dr Dwight Enys (Luke Norris) is called to Killewarren and discovers that Caroline (Gabriella Wilde) has a fishbone lodged in her throat. He removes it, impressing her, but on his way home discovers that George (Jack Farthing) has acquired more shares in Wheal Leisure.

Later, Elizabeth reveals that George gave Francis the £600, making Ross suspicious as to George’s purpose. Demelza overhears the pair flirting before going to bed where Ross joins her. They argue and Demelza reveals that she is pregnant.

tammyy2j
08-11-2016, 15:39
Elizabeth's baby could be belong to Ross, if nemesis George finds out he could kill the poor child

How did George move into Poldark's ancestral home, surely the aunt again becomes the mistress of the manor :searchme: I would have liked to have Verity move back in there

parkerman
08-11-2016, 18:52
Elizabeth's baby could be belong to Ross, if nemesis George finds out he could kill the poor child

Shame they didn't have DNA tests back then!

kaz21
08-11-2016, 19:38
Surely she was not that stupid, not to think that there was a chance the baby be poldarks.

lizann
08-11-2016, 21:02
Surely she was not that stupid, not to think that there was a chance the baby be poldarks.

the old biddy aunt sussed it could be, she must have heard "the rape" that was not given the smile on her face after the deed

lizann
08-11-2016, 21:02

the old biddy aunt sussed it could be, she must have heard "the rape" that was not given the smile on her face after the deed

Perdita
09-04-2017, 11:14
Period drama Poldark is set to return for a fourth series.
The news of the Cornish captain's return was confirmed during a special Poldark panel at the BFI & Radio Times Television Festival in London - and will come as a welcome surprise for fans.
"We start filming series 4 in September," Turner revealed as the panel came to a close.
We won't have to wait too long to see Turner's Ross back on TV screens either, as series three is due to air on BBC1 in June.
The upcoming third series will draw on books 5 and 6 from Winston Graham’s 12-series Poldark opus, the Black Moon (set between 1794 and 1795) and The Four Swans (1795-1797).

Radio Times

mysangry
10-04-2017, 14:18
OH their is a God, cannot wait to see what Rev Osbourne will be like, he was such a pompous man, if my memory is right, it was Christopher Biggins who played him to perfection in the first series with Robin Ellis.

lizann
01-06-2017, 22:02
https://youtu.be/Pnft8KJe8CI

june 11th

https://youtu.be/QHxT_uKgzmU

kaz21
03-06-2017, 16:50
Yay!!!!

hward
03-06-2017, 22:12
I actually can't wait for this series as the Black Moon is one of my favourite Poldark books :)

Dennis tanner
16-08-2017, 20:08
I need to see more views of characters standing on cliff tops looking out to see.

parkerman
16-08-2017, 23:35
I need to see more views of characters standing on cliff tops looking out to see.to see the sea?

Dennis tanner
17-08-2017, 00:41
to see the sea?

Good point.

Splashy
17-08-2017, 07:38
The show probably is brilliant but Im scared from having to watch the original series when I was a kid... it was horrendous. It was almost as bad as the Onedin Line..at least with Dr Who you could hide behind the sofa pretending to be scared to avoid this kinda dross .. Yogi inventing TV ruined my childhood you swine :crying:

mysangry
17-08-2017, 11:37
scared of Poldark?? oh my my saw everyone of the first series with Robin Ellis and only effect it had on me wat more please

lizann
10-06-2018, 00:43
returns tonight