PDA

View Full Version : Jason Grimshaw's father Tony (Terence Maynard)

tammyy2j
15-11-2013, 23:34
Coronation Street has cast Terence Maynard to play the role of Jason Grimshaw's estranged father Tony.

Tony will arrive in Weatherfield next year, keen to make amends with his son, and could also be a new love interest for Liz McDonald after he catches her eye.

However, not everybody will be as pleased to see him and his arrival will shock both Eileen and Jason.

Coronation Street producer Stuart Blackburn told the official website: "Tony's arrival is going to cause massive ructions for the Grimshaws.

"He is a man who can be your best friend or your worst enemy, and with a long history of lies and betrayal, this is a guy who has an awful lot of making up to do."

Maynard's previous credits include his role in Guy Ritchie film Revolver and the BBC's Merlin.

Perdita
16-11-2013, 05:20
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/46/618x503/tv-city-lights-terence-maynard.jpg

Jason Grimshaw’s father Tony Stewart will arrive back in Weatherfield in early 2014 with a whole new face. The roguish character – previously played in 2003 by Boys from the Blackstuff and Scum actor Alan Igbon – will now be portrayed by Terence Maynard, best known for his roles in Guy Ritchie’s Revolver and the BBC’s Merlin.

Soap bosses are planning for Tony to catch the eye of Rovers landlady Liz McDonald (Beverley Callard), but will leave a question mark hanging over his intentions. Is he as sincere as he’d like her to believe? And how will Eileen (Sue Cleaver) react to the sudden arrival of the man who has been so absent in Jason’s (Ryan Thomas) life?

Corrie producer Stuart Blackburn said of Tony’s reappearance: “His arrival is going to cause massive ructions for the Grimshaws. He is a man who can be your best friend or your worst enemy – and with a long history of lies and betrayal, this is a guy who has an awful lot of making up to do.”

Maynard's casting comes amid an increased focus on the Grimshaw family following the return of Bruno Langley as Eileen's younger son Todd, who made his Weatherfield comeback during last week's episodes.

http://www.radiotimes.com/namedimage/Coronation_Street_recasts_Jason_Grimshaw_s_dad_Ton y.jpg?quality=85&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/41428.jpg

Radio Times

swmc66
17-11-2013, 11:00
Good that they have got the father back and this time some more time will be given to develop the relationship.

Perdita
04-12-2013, 18:26
Coronation Street producer Stuart Blackburn has revealed more details of Jason Grimshaw's upcoming storyline with his estranged father Tony.

Merlin actor Terence Maynard has been cast in the role of Tony, who was previously played by Alan Igbon in 2003.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Blackburn promised that Tony will have no ulterior motive as he arrives in Weatherfield to set things right with Jason (Ryan Thomas) in January.

Blackburn explained: "Terence is a fantastic actor and Tony is utterly genuine. Tony is a guy in his 50s who turns up on the street after suddenly realising that he can have anything he wants in the world apart from his son's respect.

"So Tony comes back genuinely wanting to earn his son's love and respect. That much is truthful. It's just the way he goes about things sometimes - he's a man who is not used to anyone saying no!"

The show's chief also promised more drama for the Windass family following the recent bullying story with Faye, Simon and Grace.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/45/618x427/soaps-corrie-8262-2.jpg
Grace and Faye won't let Simon leave.
© ITV
Faye, Simon and Grace

He said: "Those three young actors have been brilliant. Faye's got a way to go. We're going to play more stories with the Windasses where we start seeing them having some serious issues.

"I think we'll see Faye learning from what she's done and coming out of the experience a bit more mature. She realises for the first time that Anna does love her, and maybe starts paying that back a little bit."

Finally, Blackburn warned that Kylie Platt (Paula Lane) will continue to struggle in the continuing aftermath of her split from David.

"We're taking Kylie to a really dark place, where ultimately she isn't blaming anyone else but herself," he revealed. "There's a sense of, 'I'm Kylie - why do I deserve happiness?' Also, Nick has got a much longer and more heartbreaking journey to go on due to his brain injury."

lizann
04-12-2013, 20:23
will eileen and liz be fighting over him?

Perdita
11-01-2014, 05:18
Coronation Street couple Tracy Barlow and Rob Donovan may meet their match when show returnee Tony Stewart gets involved with their business.

Tony, who is now played by Terence Maynard, recently arrived back in Weatherfield hoping to build bridges with his estranged son Jason (Ryan Thomas).

Upcoming episodes will see Tony brought into Tracy and Rob's ongoing storylines as they try to take their Barlows' Buys store to the next level.

Show producer Stuart Blackburn explained: "There's a desire to make the shop work. It's taken its time as new businesses do and they get a little bit impatient. We've got Jason's dad Tony entering the scene, who is in Weatherfield for genuine reasons. He wants to renew his relationship with his son and somehow turn back the clock, but he's a man with an edge.

"He's the sort of guy where if you really need something, he can find you it. He's going to get involved with Rob and Tracy and they may have bitten off more than they can chew with him."

Viewers will also start to see just how much Tracy and Rob mean to each other as their plots progress.

Blackburn said: "There's good stuff coming up. They do love each other. We're pursuing that properly. Amidst all the madness that is their life, Rob does love Tracy. It's taken him by surprise. Rob loves Tracy and she loves him. They're going to be massively embroiled in the Peter/Carla/Tina story."

Coronation Street is planning a big year for the Barlows in general as members of the family are likely to be prime suspects for Tina's death later this year. Chris Gascoyne's intention to take a break from the role of Peter at the end of his current contract has also now been officially confirmed.

On Peter and Tina's affair story, Blackburn said: "I absolutely adore it. Some people are going, 'Oh, Peter's age!' but I just think it works on screen. We all know Michelle Keegan is leaving in the middle of the year. People say affairs are bad - well, Peter and Tina are going to regret this one for sure. The consequences of it will take us right through until Christmas."

lizann
14-02-2014, 21:48
i think he will take Jason's cash and business and girlfriend

swmc66
14-02-2014, 23:17
There is definately something shifty about him. But £80 per day for building work is taking advantage

lizann
18-02-2014, 23:16
There is definately something shifty about him. But £80 per day for building work is taking advantage

jason isn't the sharpest tool

lizann
18-02-2014, 23:16

jason isn't the sharpest tool

Perdita
04-07-2014, 22:19
Coronation Street's Tony Stewart will be one to watch in the summer as his nasty side starts to be revealed.

Tony, played by Terence Maynard, will begin to prove himself as a true Corrie villain following a shock accident on the cobbles.

Earlier this week, a tabloid newspaper reported that Tyrone Dobbs will be left with broken bones when a ceiling collapses while he is having renovations done at his home.

Jason Grimshaw feels guilty over the incident after being contracted to do the work, but it seems that disaster could have struck at the hands of his father Tony.

Speaking about the storyline for the first time, Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn commented: "Just when we think Fiz and Tyrone have finally got some happiness and they are looking to the future, disaster is going to strike and this is going to put Fiz and Tyrone up against the Grimshaws.

"Right at the heart of that is Tony and we are really going to see his true side or one of his sides."

Blackburn discussed the story in a new interview with the show's official website, which also sees him confirm details of Jim McDonald's return storyline and an upcoming ADHD plot which will rock the Platt household.

Blackburn added: "Obviously these are just a few of the storylines. We have got so much more coming up as we head towards Christmas. We have some great comedy with Beth, Kirk, Sinead and Chesney. Watch out for the Windasses - they are going to be back in action soon.

"We have just got that mix of great, great drama, romance with Gail and Michael, new characters and always at the heart great comedy."

tammyy2j
07-07-2014, 23:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4q2BfRYLcqg

I wonder does something happen with him and Tracey as suggested in the fantasy trailer video above

tammyy2j
07-07-2014, 23:40

Cheetah
17-07-2014, 00:00
Probably when Rob goes down for Tina's murder - please let it be soon - Christmas is too far away - and who care's who Tracy is with - time for her to be written out - she can't act (I know that ain't a requisite in Corrie) and everything with her is totally predictable - and she really annoys me - sadly I feel that this is more down to the actress than the character - don't like her.

sarah c
17-07-2014, 10:17
I feel Tracey needs a chance to show what she can do?

its often the same for the character - get with bloke - bloke proves unsuitable - break up with bloke......

how about revisiting the kidney transplant with a bit of renal failure.....? see if the actress can handle something different?

Perdita
17-07-2014, 10:54
She did not do well with that storyline either, in my opinion. But then I also think that serious illnesses in soaps are not written very well, every time somebody had a head injury, they come out of a coma and are able to speak clearly, never complain about a headache or even ask where they are and what happened ....

Perdita
17-07-2014, 13:42
Coronation Street bosses have tipped Jason Grimshaw's father Tony Stewart as one to watch in the coming weeks as he begins to show a more ruthless side to his personality.

Tony could be shaping up to be Corrie's next big bad boy as he gets heavily involved in an upcoming storyline which sees Tyrone Dobbs suffer a shock accident on the cobbles.

Full details of Tony's involvement in that story won't be revealed for another few weeks, but here, Terence Maynard - who plays Tony - offers his thoughts on his complex on-screen character and what's to come.

How did joining Corrie come about for you?
"I was working in Germany prior to doing this. When I got back from that job, my agent explained that they were looking for this character for Coronation Street. It turned out that he was slightly older than me in the character breakdown, but my agent thought I'd be perfect for the role if I was older! She asked if I'd be interested if the character could be made a bit younger, as I didn't want to be in my 50s!

"Weirdly enough, it turned out that Coronation Street still wanted to see me. It must have been getting quite close to them wanting to cast the character, because two weeks later, I started filming. There was no turnaround or time to think about it!"

How was that audition process?
"I came to Manchester and did the audition with Ryan Thomas, but I thought it had gone really badly! I'd never done a screen test before. It's so much faster than you realise and I just felt that I wasn't in control of it. I thought that I was terrible! I had a couple of friends who also auditioned for this role and they felt the same way. I think sometimes you're not the best judge of your own work!"

How did things progress from there?
"Within two weeks I was starting the job, and this is a blessing in disguise for me. I'm an only child and my parents are getting on a little bit! I've been away for 20 years living and working in London, so one of my thoughts prior to even contemplating this job was that I wanted to see my parents a bit more.

"Now it's perfect. Not only am I closer to my parents in Cheshire, but this is their show, so it's like, 'Yes, now you've done something!' (Laughs.) It's great for everybody."

When did you get recognised by a Corrie fan for the first time?
"I was in London and I was on the Tube and was recognised by a demographic that I didn't expect! There was a young guy who saw me and he said, 'Yeah, you're that guy off Coronation Street innit!' I said, 'I didn't expect you to say that to me!' It was really unexpected but great and quite nice!"

Tony has some interesting stories ahead, but how much did the producers tell you about the character to begin with?
"I received a breakdown of the character, but because I started so quickly afterwards, I didn't have much of an opportunity to go through it all. But I did know that Tony was going to be involved with a lot of stuff.

"The producers said that they wanted Tony to be someone who wasn't necessarily a villain, but was edgy. When I was auditioning, I think maybe I was too villainous because they were saying to me, 'Not that much!' (Laughs.)

"I was told to find the fun in it, and I think now I understand what they're looking for. Also, the writing slightly changes once they find the actor who's going to be playing the role."

Is Tony's interest in Jason definitely genuine?
"Yes, without a doubt. That is one of the things that is quite fundamental to the character. Tony would die for Jason and that's a fact. That's what I've got to cling on to, so however bad and manipulative it looks like Tony is being, his main priority is Jason."

How did you feel about Tony getting together with Liz? Could Liz be the one for Tony?
"It was always going to be the case that they'd get together, so I knew that from the start. What the writers weren't sure about was what would develop between Tony and Eileen and whether there'd be any tensions there. Liz and Tony are a bit of a double act and I think that could go further.

"I think at the moment Tony's really genuine with Liz - I don't think he's trying to deceive her in any way. I don't know who is 'the one' for Tony, but he's definitely happy with Liz!"

Why doesn't Tony want a quiet life rather than getting involved in dodgy activities?
"This is the only way he knows how to operate! Tony is a bit cowboyish. He hasn't got the qualifications, but he's got the skills and he uses those to get what he wants. He's been ducking and diving for all of his life. Shadiness will always follow him."

So is he a loveable rogue?
"I'd like to see Tony as that. The producers don't want Tony to be a gangster. He might know gangsters, but he's not one himself. He's a slippery geezer and a bit of a rogue. He might be a bit of a ladies' man as well!"

Could something develop between Tony and Tracy?
"I think they've been close anyway, because their business goes hand-in-hand. There could be a little something going on there, but I do like him with Liz. I think love is a really big thing. If two people can come together who do have genuine feelings for each other, you can throw anything at that story-wise and have a strong couple dealing with it. Whether that's going to materialise with Tony and Liz or not, you just don't know!"

Tony showed his tough side when he issued a warning to Steve in the Rovers back room a few weeks ago. Would you like to explore that Tony/Steve tension more?
"We talked a bit about that, as Simon Gregson called me prior to doing that scene. It could have been very, very heavy, but I thought that if it was too heavy, Steve would have really warned his mother off Tony.

"Rather than it being overtly heavy, this was just a man's man like Tony saying, 'If you've got a problem, just say something'. Me and Simon get along really well and I've wanted to integrate that into our characters. There's no reason why Tony shouldn't actually get along well with Steve.

"I think Steve was overstepping the mark by getting into his business, so Tony is one to confront that. He's not one to be shy about confronting people, but once it's out of the way, they can move on. We've tried to soften that a little bit now. I think Tony could even support Steve with his mid-life crisis as it gets a little bit more serious."

What was it like to join the show?
"I think it was terrifying at first. For me growing up in the north, the show is almost embedded in your code and DNA. When I came in and did my first scene in The Rovers, you could see my hands shaking! I've had a lot of experience after 20 years acting, but I was still nervous!

"I think what's great for me is that I'm with a really good family - the Grimshaws and Liz too. They helped me immediately. One thing I've become good at over the years is learning quickly, and I've got good people to learn from here. The speed of Corrie is quick, but I feel like I've caught up quickly too."

You've previously worked on Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise. Is Corrie really more nerve-wracking than that?
"I think so, personally! When you're in a film with Tom Cruise, he's the one who's got the pressure - I just had a role in it! I met Tom Cruise before we started filming and then had got over the fact that he's such a big artist once we'd started work. I think working here on the Street is different.

"Tom was great, though - fantastic. I don't think I've ever worked with someone who had so much input into everything going on."

Have you had scenes with many Corrie legends yet?
"I did a scene with Ken the other day! Bill Roache is a lovely guy and very generous. One of the first things he said to me was that he liked my character. We met on set and then the other day we had our first actual scene at the bar together."

How does Corrie compare to your previous work?
"In a single drama, you know where things are going and what's coming up, but this is so open-ended, so it's very difficult to make any concrete choices at first.

"I've always had an idea of who Tony was. My wife said, 'Just try and be charming and be yourself to a certain degree'. I think if you try and find too much in the character, you overburden him before you've even begun.

"If you just go in, try to be the character that's required in the moment with a certain amount of energy and charm, you see where it goes!"

Perdita
30-07-2014, 04:46
Coronation Street's Tony Stewart realises that he has a useful new ally next week as Todd Grimshaw begins to use unsavoury methods to boost business.

Having recently made the decision to hire Todd, upcoming episodes see Tony (Terence Maynard) put pressure on him to prove his worth by bringing in some new custom.

Tony is delighted when it quickly becomes apparent that Todd (Bruno Langley) doesn't have many morals when it comes to making money, which puts them firmly on the same page.

When they hear that Jason (Ryan Thomas) has agreed to do a loft conversion for Tyrone Dobbs at 'mates rates', Tony and Todd both urge him not to be a fool and to strike a better deal.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/30/618x330/soaps-corrie-8441-1.jpg
Tony and Todd are unimpressed when Jason offers to do a loft conversion for Tyrone at mates rates.
© ITV
Tony and Todd are unimpressed with Jason

On a roll, Todd later tries to trick Norris Cole into thinking that he needs a new roof, before then going a worrying step further by purchasing cheap building materials for Tyrone's loft conversion.

Jason has no idea that his father and his brother are teaming up to rip off customers, but with recent reports of a shock accident for Tyrone during the renovations, is it only a matter of time before their scheming comes back to haunt them?
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/30/618x412/soaps-corrie-8442-1.jpg
Jason is oblivious as Tony and Todd continue to formulate ways to rip off their customers
© ITV
Jason is oblivious as Tony and Todd plan

Perdita
16-01-2015, 13:00
Coronation Street's Tracy Barlow and Tony Stewart could be heading for trouble as they are pulled over by the police in an upcoming storyline.

Kate Ford and Terence Maynard, who play the ruthless characters, were spotted filming the scenes out on location in Manchester this week.
http://i2.cdnds.net/15/03/618x390/uktv-coronation-street-on-location-kate-ford-police-2.jpg
Terence Maynard as Tony Stewart & Kate Ford as Tracy Barlow filming on location for Coronation Street
© Rex Features / McPix Ltd
Tracy and Tony are pulled over
http://i1.cdnds.net/15/03/618x425/uktv-coronation-street-on-location-kate-ford-police-5.jpg
Terence Maynard as Tony Stewart & Kate Ford as Tracy Barlow filming on location for Coronation Street
Tracy tries to stay calm

Tracy and Tony have recently gone into partnership together at the second hand shop, which sparks even more dodgy dealings between them over the coming weeks.

Paparazzi pictures show the tense moment that the pair are pulled over by the police while driving a van which is packed full of stolen goods.

With the stakes high, it appears that Tracy will have to turn on the charm with the officers if she stands any chance of keeping out of hot water.
http://i2.cdnds.net/15/03/618x402/uktv-coronation-street-on-location-kate-ford-police-3.jpg
Kate Ford as Tracy Barlow filming on location for Coronation Street
Tracy takes matters into her own hands
http://i1.cdnds.net/15/03/618x420/uktv-coronation-street-on-location-kate-ford-police-1.jpg
Kate Ford as Tracy Barlow filming on location for Coronation Street
Tracy turns on the charm
http://i2.cdnds.net/15/03/618x403/uktv-coronation-street-on-location-kate-ford-police-4.jpg
Has Tracy got away with it?

Scenes airing last month saw Tony give into temptation when Tracy seduced him following the news that her ex-fiancé Rob Donovan had been sentenced to a long stretch behind bars for Tina McIntyre's murder.

They will continue their fling in future episodes, but Tony will live to regret cheating on his partner Liz McDonald in the long-run.

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn recently teased: "Tony really is going to wish he never got involved with Tracy - he thought he could control her but no chance!"

swmc66
16-01-2015, 22:00
Looks like her charms worked on the police

Perdita
17-10-2015, 20:43
Coronation Street's Terence Maynard is leaving the show in his role as Tony Stewart, Digital Spy can confirm.

The actor only joined Weatherfield as Jason's father Tony last year, and was reportedly seen filming final scenes this week.

It is not yet clear what Terence's exit story will be, though it may involve the fallout from Callum's death, who was killed by Kylie Platt in last month's live episode.

However, he may exit for another reason.

Maynard joined the cast as the second actor to play Stewart in January 2014, following Alan Igbon in 2003.

Meanwhile, Corrie topped TV soap ratings last night (October 16), bringing in 6.43m with Sarah Platt's ongoing struggles.

Shame, I have come to like him :(

Kim
17-10-2015, 21:06
Me too - and I couldn't stand him during the storyline with Tracy.

Luckily it means we should be spared him reuniting with Liz as was rumoured, but a shame. I wonder whether it was his decision or because they've known for a while that Ryan would be going.

Dazzle
18-10-2015, 21:07
I'm also sad that Tony's going. He's a breath of fresh air on the street. His storyline with Tracy was awful so thank goodness he hasn't been paired with her since he returned.

A quote from the Manchester Evening News says:

His exit will be seen on screen later this year in a storyline understood to be connected to his betrayal of ex-girlfriend Liz McDonald, played by Beverley Callard, who his final scenes were filmed with.

I hope Liz manages to play Tony and get Steve's half of the Rovers (and her dignity) back.

Maybe Kate Oates will tempt Terence back after she takes over?

Read more: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/coronation-streets-resident-rogue-tony-10278899

lizann
18-10-2015, 22:20
who would take over tony's share in the pub and bargain buys barlow if he and jason are leaving

swmc66
19-10-2015, 13:57
I will be sorry to see him go.

sarah c
22-10-2015, 11:54
who would take over tony's share in the pub and bargain buys barlow if he and jason are leaving

maybe Robert will invest in Barlow's Buys?

Perdita
22-10-2015, 12:18
maybe Robert will invest in Barlow's Buys?

He donated all his money to his wife to be with his ex-wife :p

swmc66
22-10-2015, 13:43
Where has all of Jason's anger gone all of a sudden. Seems he has forgotten about Callum. I think Tony will go down for murder

tammyy2j
19-11-2015, 11:19
Terence Maynard has said he felt "blessed" to be part of Coronation Street.

The actor, who played Tony Stewart, announced plans to leave in October and exited the soap during Wednesday night's (November 18) episode.

He said: "If you can imagine being a child watching a show that you've grown up with and then being in it, it's almost surreal and I feel blessed to have been in this show."

His character decided to leave following Monday's revelation that Liz McDonald didn't really want to get back together with him, and was just using him to get his share of the pub back the whole time.

"When I first read the exit I was a little sad, a little unhappy. But I think that's because you can't differentiate between Terence reading the character and Tony reading the character," Maynard explained.

"I felt hurt by it – but then, he's meant to!"

Maynard​ added he has especially enjoyed working with Beverly Callard and Ryan Thomas during his time on the show.

He added: "I'll miss it with all my heart, no doubt about that."

Perdita
14-03-2016, 13:46
​Coronation Street is planning to kill off a character - but it's happening off-screen.

According to The Sun, Tony Stewart - Jason's (Ryan Thomas) father - will be written out for good in an upcoming episode, but it'll be without actor Terence Maynard, who played the electrician in 2014 and 2015.

The character left humiliated by Liz (Beverley Callard), after signing his papers of the Rovers back to her. Tony had an affair with Tracy Barlow (Kate Ford).

He departed from the cobbles in November 2015.

It's unclear how Jason and Liz will react to the shocking news.

:crying: Why????

Dazzle
14-03-2016, 19:53
Stupid and short-sighted decision to kill off such a good character, especially off-screen. :wall:

:crying: Why????

It must have something to do with Jason leaving... :searchme:

Perdita
14-03-2016, 20:22
Stupid and short-sighted decision to kill off such a good character, especially off-screen. :wall:

It must have something to do with Jason leaving... :searchme:

I am thinking that too :(

Perdita
14-03-2016, 20:39
Can´t help feeling that if Tony´s death does have something to do with Jason leaving then this idea was thought up recently, way too contrived

lizann
14-03-2016, 21:02
phelan could arrange his death so jason sole owner of business easier for him to con

Dazzle
14-03-2016, 21:17
phelan could arrange his death so jason sole owner of business easier for him to con

I thought Jason was the sole owner but I might be remembering that incorrectly.

Whatever the situation with the builder's yard, it'll certainly be easier for Phelan to con Jason if the latter can't turn to his father for advice and protection. There's no way Tony would allow it to happen. Still, he could have been written as out of the country instead of dead!

swmc66
15-03-2016, 02:15
Tony was good this does not make sense

Perdita
06-01-2021, 17:57
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Igbon

He took a temporary role in ITV soap Coronation Street,[4] playing Tony Stewart the estranged father of regular character Jason Grimshaw[5]. The character returned in 2014, but was played by actor Terence Maynard until November 2015. It was announced on 14 March 2016 that Tony would be killed off.

RIP Alan x