PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Elegba

Perdita
26-06-2013, 06:26
http://i2.cdnds.net/13/26/618x817/soaps-hollyoaks-john-omole-vincent-elegba.jpg

Hollyoaks has brought newcomer Vincent Elegba to the forefront of the soap this week as viewers are discovering more about his past.

Last night's (June 25) Channel 4 episode saw Vincent share a kiss with sixth former George Smith (Steven Roberts), before revealing that he left his country because it is illegal to be gay in Nigeria.

Digital Spy recently caught up with John Omole, who plays Vincent, to hear where the storyline is heading next.

How are you finding your time at Hollyoaks so far?
"It's been great. Everyone is so welcoming and we all have quite a bit in common because it's such a young cast. Even the older cast members are young at heart! I've built up some really good friendships."

Did you know Vincent's secret all along, or was it a surprise for you when you read the scripts?
"I knew from the start. When my agent sent me the details of the role, I was told that Vincent would end up being gay, even though we weren't quite sure how he was going to get there at that point!"

Now that we know Vincent is gay, what can we expect next from the storyline?
"Now that the truth about Vincent has been revealed to the viewers, it's really going to kick the storyline into gear. At first there was a lot of mystery because I think people were wondering, 'Who is this Vincent character?'

"Now you're going to see the story pick up the pace. You'll find out more about Vincent and how he's going to affect the people around him. Hopefully it was a nice surprise for the viewers and they're looking forward to what's coming next."

As we've seen, Phoebe thought Vincent had a romantic interest in her. Do you think he gave her any mixed signals?
"No, I don't think Vincent gave Phoebe any mixed signals - he literally just thought that he'd found such a good friend and he was being as close as a best friend would be. People may accuse him of leading Phoebe on because he's been so friendly towards her, but I think that was completely innocent. He's a nice guy and he'd never go out to lead someone on like that."

© Lime Pictures
Phoebe and Vincent.

What are Vincent's feelings towards George?
"Vincent is very, very confused. He feels a very big attraction towards George, but he doesn't quite know what it is. George is definitely the first person Vincent has felt this way towards since he's come over to the UK. It's a mixed emotion of friendship, attraction and I think it later gets on its way to love.

"With Phoebe in the mix, Vincent also feels a sense of guilt because he could be coming between two very, very close friends. He feels every which way about George - he likes him but he's not sure if anything could ever happen between them, partly due to Phoebe and partly due to his own background."

Are you hoping Vincent and Phoebe can find a way to stay friends?
"I personally am, but we'll have to wait and see whether they can do! This situation isn't about two nasty people, it's about two people who have very, very warm hearts and are very loving. Hopefully Vincent will be sorry about the way things have panned out and hopefully there'll be a sense of forgiveness from Phoebe after that. Looking at it, it's nobody's fault as you can't control who you fall in love with."

How much danger would Vincent be in if he was deported?
"Very, very big danger! Where Vincent is from, he could be sent to prison for his sexuality, or people in his local village or town could even kill him. So Vincent isn't just running for his freedom, he's running for his life. It's very, very important that he finds a way to stay in the country."

What happens when evil Trevor is brought into the mix?
"Phoebe goes to Trevor to get a fake passport for Vincent, but he ends up holding her hostage. Vincent gets there to rescue her with support from George, but Trevor warns that Vincent is not going anywhere. He tells Vincent that he's his property.

"At this moment, Vincent is very scared but he also knows that if he doesn't stay with Trevor, then it's going to be Phoebe or George staying. He wouldn't be able to handle that, so he knows the best thing he can do is keep quiet and have Phoebe and George go away to hopefully get help. Vincent has a hero complex where he wants to help those closest to him."

© Lime Pictures
Steven Roberts as George.

© Lime Pictures
Mandip Gill as Phoebe.

What are Steven and Mandip (Phoebe) like to work with?
"Absolutely sensational! I feel like I've really established a big bond with those two. Because this is only my first big job on television, I'm learning a lot from the two of them, which is great. As Mandip worked so closely with Claire Cooper for such a long time, I feel like she's passing a lot down to me at the moment."

Being on Twitter, have you seen much reaction to your character yet?
"I have! I've been a bit nosy and had a little look to see what the reaction to Vincent is. With any character you get ups and downs, and I think at the moment it's 70% good! A lot of people seem keen to see more of Vincent and the sweetness of him is attractive to them. Others are just saying, 'Who is this guy?' and 'Why is he here?' It's all good and it's a healthy thing!"

After training as an actor, a lot of your work has been on the stage. How does the TV world compare?
"It's a very, very different kind of craft. When I got here, I was very lucky to have Claire with me on my second shoot for the lorry scenes. I also had Mandip with me for the first thing we shot, which was the bedroom scene between the two of us. I had help and advice from those two as well as the directors.

"There's quite a bit to learn, as in the theatre you have to really project your voice to a lot of people, but on television you often have to be more subtle. It's a very big learning curve for me but it's really exciting."

© Lime Pictures
Vincent's first scenes with Phoebe and Jacqui.

Was Hollyoaks one of your first auditions?
"I'd done a few auditions before Hollyoaks, but they were mainly for theatre. I've always done well in auditions but to get so far in the Hollyoaks process was fantastic. I'm usually the person who gets quite far but just misses out at the end!"

We know that in real life, you're from South London. Has it been difficult to take on Vincent's accent?
"It can be more difficult doing an accent like this on the screen, because there's a much bigger audience watching. If it was just in the theatre, it'd be easier to do because I could lay the accent on as thick as possible.

"I feel that I sometimes don't go as far as I can with the accent, because I know that it needs to be watched by such a broad audience. It can be hard to find the right level. But I have grown up with the accent because both of my parents are from Nigeria, so that bit isn't too difficult at all."

What are your hobbies and interests outside of acting?
"I love football, both playing and watching it. That's my biggest hobby and then just normal things like watching TV and going out with friends. Just being a normal 23-year-old lad, really!"

Perdita
03-07-2013, 05:38
Hollyoaks' John Omole has spoken about his tough introductory storyline on the Channel 4 soap.

Interviewed by fellow actor Kieron Richardson for the official Hollyoaks YouTube channel, Omole discussed how his character Vincent Elegba struggles to face up to his problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=77WWpcbPnnc

Vincent arrived in the Chester village as an illegal immigrant from Nigeria, who fled his home country because of his sexuality.

Omole said: "It's a massive problem for Vincent, because the laws of the country say he could be put to prison for 14 years.

"It's also that his family don't really accept the way of life of a homosexual person, so they've told him that he should probably get going to save them, to save him. He thinks of it as an illness, as a sickness."

Speaking about Vincent and George Smith's on-screen kiss, Omole added: "He's just about getting to the fact that he is gay and now he's finding that he actually has feelings for other men so it's really difficult for him.

"He really, really, really likes George. He's not quite sure how to take it in fact because this is the first person he's really felt like that about."

On Vincent's future, Omole said that he must now "face his fears".

"He's been running for a very long time," he added. "So he has to face the whole immigration problem and he has to face his feelings for George and also face this problem that he has with wanting Phoebe to be his best friend and not his partner."

Perdita
17-02-2014, 19:52
Hollyoaks actor John Omole has bowed out from his role as Vincent Elegba.

Vincent's final scenes aired on E4's first look screening this evening (February 17) as he moved to London for a new job in the conclusion to his storyline with George Smith (Steven Roberts).

Speaking to Digital Spy today, Omole commented: "I've had an amazing time at Hollyoaks and off screen at Lime Pictures. Everyone has treated me so well and the cast have been a dream to work with and be around.

"I have to say an extra special thank you to Steven Roberts and Mandip Gill [who plays Phoebe] for being the best on-screen partners and for teaching me bucket loads.

"Also thanks to James Sutton [John Paul], Sophie Austin [Lindsey Butterfield] and Ayden Callaghan [Joe Roscoe] for looking out for me."

Hollyoaks introduced the character of Vincent in April 2013 when he was found among a van full of illegal immigrants during Jacqui McQueen's dramatic exit storyline.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/34/618x441/soaps-hollyoaks-3683-3.jpg
George and Vincent are disturbed by Phoebe.
© Lime Pictures
George and Vincent

Vincent's main storyline saw him face the threat of being sent back to Nigeria, where he feared persecution for being gay.

He also caused drama between George and Phoebe as he found himself in a love triangle with the two best friends, although he was eventually honest by admitting that his heart belonged to George.

Omole added: "Vincent's story has been one that I will cherish because it's been an important issue that has not been shied away from. That is what happens at Hollyoaks - they take important issues and raise awareness in an amazing way.

"Thank you Hollyoaks and [executive producer] Bryan Kirkwood for making me a part of a special show and a special storyline. Keep watching! You never know what will happen next in the village!"

Hollyoaks fans who watch the show at Channel 4 pace will see Vincent depart at 6.30pm tomorrow (February 18).

lizann
17-02-2014, 21:12
good