PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Browning

alan45
18-01-2013, 01:08
Hollyoaks often brings in fresh faces, but scheming Doctor Browning has made a bigger impact than most in the past year with a series of memorable storylines.

Originally introduced a year ago to stir up trouble at the hospital, Browning went on to take centre stage in one of the show's biggest plotlines when his intense feelings for Mercedes McQueen led to him murdering Lynsey Nolan.

Viewers have recently seen Browning return to screens to cause more chaos, while in real life, actor Joseph Thompson has made the shortlist for 'Most Popular Newcomer' at the National Television Awards 2013 for his portrayal of the character.

We recently caught up with Joseph to hear his reaction to the nomination and Browning's recent antics!

How do you feel about being in the running for 'Most Popular Newcomer'?
"It's massive and I just feel really overwhelmed, to be honest. The support is great and it means so much to know that I'm on the shortlist because people have voted. I'm so grateful to the fans who have taken the time to vote, and I'm just excited and very flattered to be there.

"It's also really nice for the show to be up for an award, too. Hollyoaks is a really great place to work and an exciting place to be, so it's important that it's represented there in the 'Best Soap' category. Emmett Scanlan is also in the running for 'Serial Drama Performance' and I think he's so brilliant in the show. I hope to God that he gets the send-off that he deserves and gets that award.

"I'm also just really excited to be going to the ceremony, as well, as it should be a good night!"

How do you rate your chances of winning the prize?
"I genuinely have no idea what to expect! I don't know how the numbers and votes will add up, as there are three other really strong nominees there. I'm flattered to be in such good company. I was delighted to be shortlisted and I'm happy with that. I haven't really thought about winning, as I'm just happy to be going!"

You've had a lot of big scenes on Hollyoaks, but do any stand out as ones that you're particularly proud of?
"I feel really lucky as I think Browning is such a brilliantly written and devised character. He's so fun to play. I loved working with Rob Norbury and Karen Hassan, and of course, it's so great working with Jen Metcalfe too.

"I really enjoyed those scenes just before Browning was arrested, where he was trying to persuade Mercedes to run away with him. They were so fun to play. Since I've been back, the new material has been brilliant and it's a real treat to play such a complex character. I hope that people enjoy watching him and find Browning hard to work out."

You joined the show for quite a short story with Lynsey and Mercedes at the hospital last year. Did you ever imagine then that Browning would still be around a year later?
"Not at all! When I came in, it was just for seven or eight episodes and it was really good fun. Even when I got the pages to read at the audition, I could see that Browning was a fun character and something seemed to click straight away. I got on well with Karen and Jen from the start and had a really great time.

"I was really pleased to come back for three more months in the summer, and every time the opportunity came to go back, I jumped at it. I'm really happy to be involved, especially as there's big changes happening at Hollyoaks and a lot of exciting storylines about to drop."

Are you surprised that Browning has a fanbase after everything he's done?
"I am on one hand and I'm not on the other! It's very difficult for me to be objective about it, but I think often on TV and soaps, you get some bad guys who come into a show and are just 'bad'. I always thought Browning was written a bit differently to that. He's capable of absolutely anything, but the writing is so well-justified when it comes to what he does.

"Browning is a character who sees the world in a different way. He's got this psychotic logic, but then I hope people can see why he's doing what he's doing, even if it's still not right!

"To be honest, I thought there was going to be a massive backlash when Browning came back into the show after everything that happened with Lynsey. I just hope that people love to watch it. If they love to hate me, I'm okay with that - as long as they want to watch!"

Do you think Browning would ever kill again?
"He's capable of anything! It's an exciting and dangerous situation that he's already got away with murder. He's already got serious issues with the way that he's so egotistical and arrogant - he thinks he can get away with anything. You'll have to wait and see, as anything can happen!"

Has Browning felt any guilt about lying to Myra over her health?
"I just don't think he's wired the same way as other people! There were definitely moments when he realised what he'd unleashed and how upset Myra was. Overall, though, he'd say that he did that for the right reasons. He did it for Mercedes and to re-establish her relationship with Myra, so she gets her mum back.

"That plan has worked, so it's all justified in Browning's eyes. There might be a little bit of guilt, but he only did it for Mercedes and what's best for her."

Next week, Browning's boss Davies promises not to suspend him for what he's done - but only in return for one night with Mercedes… How does Browning react?
"This is a real crunch point for Browning. He'll do anything to get what he wants and it normally works. He's a high-flyer career-wise and I'm sure he's screwed a few people over on the way. But now suddenly he has Mercedes, who he's completely obsessed with. It's either Mercedes or his career, which he's worked hard for.

"It's a real sleaze-off between Browning and Davies! If you thought Browning was sleazy, wait until you see this guy. Davies thinks he's a master, so Browning is getting a taste of his own medicine and it's really interesting to see how that plays out.

"Mercedes offers to go along with Davies's offer, and I think this is why the relationship between her and Browning is so fun - neither of them can get a grip on what the other one is going to do. He can't control her and she does her own thing.

"It gets pretty desperate for Browning as Mercedes finds herself in danger, and it's interesting to see him out of his comfort zone. He's a real control freak, but what you're about to see is him losing that power."

Are Browning and Mercedes soul mates?
"That's certainly how Browning sees it! I think he's genuine with that. Because he's so manipulative, it's sometimes hard to tell whether he means what he says. But with Mercedes, he's completely in love with her and fascinated by her.

"In short, Browning has met his match and that's a really thrilling battle to have. He thinks he's found someone who can make life exciting, when usually he's used to wrapping people around his little finger."

Through the 'Who killed Lynsey?' storyline last year, did you know all along that Browning was the culprit?
"They wanted to keep it so secret, so very little information was released to any of the cast. I knew that I was an option all along and it was discussed in detail how and why that might happen. So I was prepared for that, but they kept it so close to their chests.

"It was an amazing success how they kept it a secret, and it wasn't long before I filmed the scenes that I knew for definite that Browning was the killer."

Are you used to playing the bad guy?
"I've been quite lucky, as I've played all types of character. I've played a couple of bad guys, and I've played a couple of sleazy and arrogant womanisers as well!

"But I hadn't played a bad guy for a while before this, so playing Browning is really fun. My history is mainly in theatre, so it's great to be getting a good chance to work on a character on screen. I'm enjoying playing the baddie!"

Perdita
03-04-2013, 08:41
Joseph Thompson has admitted that his character Doctor Browning will be "devastated" if he discovers Mercedes McQueen's betrayal.

Browning is currently concerned for his fiancé's safety after discovering that she has been 'kidnapped'. In reality, however, Mercedes (Jennifer Metcalfe) is fine and has cooked up the stunt with Clare Devine as a money-making scheme.

Although Browning becomes increasingly suspicious of Clare (Gemma Bissix) next week, he remains completely unaware that Mercedes has been plotting against him.

Speaking to Inside Soap about how Browning might react to the truth, Thompson replied: "He'd be devastated. Browning doesn't see the world the same as everyone else, so it'd be a dangerous situation if he felt he'd been wronged by the love of his life.

"It could end disastrously - or maybe his love for Mercedes is big enough that he'd forgive her for it."

Asked whether Browning would harm Mercedes, he replied: "That's the million dollar question! I think he's capable of anything. Mercedes is everything to him, so to be duped by her would be the biggest betrayal of all."

Thompson added that he doesn't mind seeing Browning on the receiving end of manipulation for once.

He laughed: "There's no shame in being outwitted by Mercedes and Clare. I think normally you'd back Browning to hold his own, but he's lost and vulnerable without Mercedes, which is a very strange state of affairs for him. He's just trying to deal with this bizarre situation as best he can."

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

Perdita
18-04-2013, 11:57
Schemer Doctor Browning is finally reunited with partner Mercedes Fisher next week, but their reconciliation could be short-lived as they both face terrible danger.

When evil Clare Devine (Gemma Bissix) locks Mercedes in a cage surrounded by vicious dogs, she leads Browning to his fiancée before trapping him too.

It's emotional for Browning and Mercedes (Jennifer Metcalfe) as they come face-to-face again, but can they get the better of a vengeful Clare?

Digital Spy recently caught up with Joseph Thompson, who plays Browning, to hear more about the dramatic storyline.

What has the Browning and Clare storyline been like to film?
"It's been great fun! Gemma is brilliant and we had a really good time with this storyline. We got on well and I think it's really nice for the audience to see her back.

"Clare was such a brilliant baddie when she was in Hollyoaks before, so it's great to have her back in the village - and great for me to have someone to clash with. Clare is another scheming, evil mind to go up against, so it makes for really fun scenes. It's the clash of the baddies!"

Do you enjoy it when someone gets the better of Browning, or do you prefer it when he's the one in control?
"It's a good question! I think you always have to empathise with the characters you're playing, so obviously I think very highly of Browning. He's very clever and he hasn't got to his current position by accident - he's very capable and he knows how to play people very well.

"It's great and a real challenge when someone new comes in and Browning meets his match. That's certainly happened with Clare Devine, but as for who'll come out on top in the end, you'll have to wait and see! It's a very close-run thing."

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/13/618x411/soaps-hollyoaks-3578-3.jpg
© Lime Pictures
Browning and Clare are in a battle of the baddies.

Has it been fun to explore a more vulnerable side to Browning too?
"Absolutely. I think the interesting thing about Browning is that he's really driven by his love for Mercedes - that's central to everything that he does. That obsession is hard for him, because he's never felt like this before, but it does make him vulnerable.

"Browning doesn't like that and he doesn't appreciate it, as it's new territory for him. He's having to come to terms with the fact that he now has an Achilles heel, and that's more important than anything else.

"It's tricky, as for the first time he's in a bit of a helpless situation, when a big thing for him is power and control. Browning likes to be the one in control, so when Mercedes is missing and he can't do anything about getting her back, it's a very difficult place for him to be."

Next week, Browning finally has the cash to pay the ransom money, but then it goes missing! How does he react?
"Well, again I think this shows that Browning is out of his comfort zone. He so desperately wants to get Mercedes back, so he takes his eye off the ball. Normally, he'd think things through a bit better, he'd stay in control, and he'd make sure the situation plays out exactly as he needs it to.

"Because Browning is so desperate to get Mercedes back, he jumps into things and he's just powerless, really. There's a mix-up between two different bags at the gym, and Leanne ends up with the cash. When it all goes wrong, it's an absolute disaster and Browning is beside himself."

Then Clare traps Mercedes in a cage and leads Browning to her, doesn't she?
"She does! Browning has previously suspected that Clare has something to do with Mercedes going missing, but she's kept convincing him otherwise. But all of the pieces fall into place for Browning and he realises that it's been her all along.

"Browning does make his way to see Mercedes, but when he sees the state that she's in, he takes his eye off the ball once again. It's only for a second, but it's long enough for Clare to gain the upper hand and hit him over the head. Browning and Mercedes are both trapped, and they're left in real trouble."

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/15/618x411/soaps-hollyoaks-clare-devine-mercedes-mcqueen-dogs-1.jpg
© Lime Pictures
Clare traps Mercedes in a cage.

What's it like for Browning and Mercedes to see each other again?
"They're reunited and reconciled, so they tell each other how much they mean to each other - but it could be too late!"

If Browning makes it out of this situation alive, will he hold a grudge against Clare?
"Oh, definitely! There'd be unfinished business, and you don't want to get on the wrong side of Browning. He's the last person you'd want as an enemy. If your card's marked by him, you're in trouble. She'd better watch her back!"

We can't imagine Browning letting go of the missing money lightly either!
"Absolutely - if you've been watching the show, you have to ask yourselves whether he'd be willing to let that amount of money get away, and whether Mercedes would either. The money is still out there, so we'll have to wait and see."

Would this experience make Browning and Mercedes appreciate each other more, or would they start clashing again?
"Certainly from Browning's perspective, it's got to the stage where they might lose each other, so if they can get through this, I think it's probably a lesson learned.

"At the same time, Browning and Mercedes are two complicated and passionate individuals. Browning just doesn't understand the world in the same way as you or I, so you just never know what could flip the switch! He's a pretty fiery character and even when things are settled and happy, that's dangerous too because he needs someone or something to push against."

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/29/618x512/soaps_hollyoaks_3400_6.jpg
© Lime Pictures
Mercedes and Browning.

Do you prefer playing Browning's dark side or the more comedic side to his character?
"I don't think I could say either way, because this is what people are like. The writing is great because it shows different facets and angles of all the characters. In Hollyoaks you're not just the heart-throb, the comedy guy or the bad guy - the characters are well-rounded people."

What kind of a reaction have you seen since Browning returned as a regular?
"It's been really positive, so I feel really lucky. The people who have reached out to me have all been really nice. That's great and I hope people are enjoying the storylines and different sides to him."

tammyy2j
04-06-2013, 00:28
Over on Hollyoaks, Doctor Browning's dark side re-emerges as he turns sinister with new work colleague Lindsey Butterfield.

Browning (Joseph Thompson) develops an attraction to Lindsey over the next fortnight, finding her company a welcome distraction from Mercy's bridezilla antics in the build-up to their wedding.

Wanting to get closer to Lindsey (Sophie Austin), Browning invites her to a lecture that he's giving at a hotel, promising that he can help to advance her career by introducing her to a clinical director.

Lindsey agrees to come along, but once the lecture is over, Browning corners Lindsey in a lift, pulls the emergency stop lever and tries to kiss her.

An appalled Lindsey is quick to stand up to Browning and brands his behaviour pathetic. However, the knock-back reminds Browning of his equally feisty murder victim Lynsey Nolan and he advances on his new target… Can Lindsey escape?

tammyy2j
04-06-2013, 00:28

Perdita
18-06-2013, 13:48
Hollyoaks' Doctor Browning will turn nasty with Myra McQueen as he continues to feel haunted by the late Lynsey Nolan.

Magazine reports have revealed that Browning (Joseph Thompson) will be shocked when he finds a wreath on his door step with a label 'RIP Lynsey'.

Later on, Browning goes for an interview for a consultant position but talk soon turns to Lynsey and he finds press cuttings from her murder in his files.

Convinced that Mercedes is behind these games, Browning confronts her but she assures him it has nothing to do with her.

However, Mercedes (Jennifer Metcalfe) does reveal that Myra is aware he murdered Lynsey as she eavesdropped on a conversation between the pair on the day of their wedding.

Now certain that Myra (Nicole Barber-Lane) is the culprit, Browning heads over to the McQueens' and forces her up against the wall to threaten her.

lizann
18-06-2013, 20:17
could be jim as he knows as well

Perdita
20-06-2013, 11:21
Hollyoaks bosses have added an online bonus element to the Browning stalker story, which viewers saw kick off last night.

A Twitter account for the stalker of Doctor Browning has been set up to allow fans to follow the story beyond the Channel 4 episodes.

Last night's episode of the soap saw Browning receive a cryptic note that simply read: "I know what you did."

However, the Twitter account saw the stalker post online after the episode, writing: "I hope you liked my little present, @DrPaulBrowning. There's plenty more to come. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID."

Some of the stalker's surprises will be seen in the 6.30pm showing of Hollyoaks on Channel 4 and some of them will be online never-seen-before exclusives.

Follow @BrowningsShadow on Twitter to read their cryptic posts to Browning and to find out what other surprises are in store. The tweets will be posted in real-time, helping viewers to work out who the stalker is.

Perdita
02-08-2013, 11:21
Hollyoaks star Joseph Thompson has revealed that there is a roller coaster ahead for his character Paul Browning and wife Mercedes.

Mercedes (Jennifer Metcalfe) will be left shocked next week after her mum Myra is attacked by a masked intruder.

However, she gets an even bigger shock after going through Paul's emails and realises that he was responsible for the brutal attack.

Thompson told All About Soap: "It's interesting what happens with Mercedes and Browning because there's a roller coaster of them being together and her being on his side, and then her turning against him, before realising Myra was stalking him.

"He has to fight harder than ever to keep Mercedes. He's not really in the right frame of mind and having to battle for her is the last thing he needs. Poor Browning!

Speaking about his character's ploy to have Myra killed and the impact it will have on his future with Mercedes, Thompson said: "The guilt thing is an interesting one with Browning.

"I think he's a bit of a sociopath and hadn't ever felt much emotion about anything at all until he met Mercedes. His love for her is totally genuine. He's completely obsessed with her and that's really shaken him up and changed who he is.

"Guilt or no guilt, Browning thinks his plan is highly justified - it's absolutely what has to be done.

"He thinks him and Mercedes are soul mates and that she can be his saviour if they have a life together. So it really is one and the same - to be with her, he has to save himself."

tammyy2j
09-08-2013, 00:12

tammyy2j
09-08-2013, 00:12
Hollyoaks star Joseph Thompson has left the soap, Digital Spy can exclusively confirm.

The actor, who plays twisted Doctor Browning, has already filmed his final scenes for the Channel 4 show and will bow out on screen in the autumn.

Show bosses are keeping tight-lipped over how Browning will depart the village, but many fans will be hoping that he gets his comeuppance as his list of crimes grows ever bigger.

Digital Spy understands that it was always the plan for Browning to bow out in the latter half of this year, as Thompson is keen to explore other acting opportunities.

The dangerous character was originally introduced in January 2012 for a brief storyline with Lynsey Nolan (Karen Hassan) and Mercedes McQueen (Jennifer Metcalfe) at the hospital. However, Browning's role in the show increased last summer as his growing feelings for Mercedes led to him killing Lynsey.

This year, Browning and Mercedes have been at the centre of many more dramatic storylines - including their outrageous wedding ceremony in June, and Browning's stalker ordeal leading to an explosive feud with his mother-in-law Myra (Nicole Barber-Lane).

Off-screen, Thompson won the 'Best Newcomer' prize at the British Soap Awards in May and was nominated for the same title at the National Television Awards at the beginning of the year.

tammyy2j
13-08-2013, 14:46

tammyy2j
13-08-2013, 14:46
Hollyoaks villain Doctor Browning lines up Cindy Cunningham as his next murder victim in dramatic scenes next week.

Browning (Joseph Thompson) turns against Cindy after they have a surprise one-night stand.

The pair's night together doesn't mean anything as Browning is still desperate to reunite with his estranged wife Mercedes (Jennifer Metcalfe).

Unfortunately for Browning, he realises that Cindy (Stephanie Waring) could jeopardise his chances of saving his marriage when she threatens to tell Mercedes about them sleeping together.

After a mischievous Cindy refuses to accept a financial bribe from Browning, his dark side emerges yet again as he decides that more extreme measures will be needed to silence her.

Browning tracks Cindy down to the school and when she pushes him too far by continuing to tease him, he shoves her in a stationary cupboard and grabs her throat.

Following the shocking attack, Cindy is left lying motionless in the cupboard.

lizann
05-09-2013, 21:56
how can he be charged with myra's murder without a body and also for lynsey's murder again after he was already found not guilty thanks to jim

tammyy2j
06-09-2013, 15:33
how can he be charged with myra's murder without a body and also for lynsey's murder again after he was already found not guilty thanks to jim

Well he admitted to both murders to the police

tammyy2j
06-09-2013, 15:33