PDA

View Full Version : Cheryl Brady (Bronagh Waugh)

Perdita
19-10-2012, 18:10
Hollyoaks favourite Cheryl Brady has more difficult times ahead next week as Lynsey Nolan's funeral takes place.

Cheryl is hoping for closure as she prepares to pay her last respects to her best friend, but with twisted Doctor Browning pleading not guilty to Lynsey's murder, it remains to be seen whether she can fully move on any time soon.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Bronagh Waugh, who plays Cheryl, to hear about the funeral scenes, her character's future and more.

It's definitely been a big year for you on the show! How have you found it so far?
"It's been fabulous. I feel like I've waited a long time to be able to get my moment. Cheryl is an amazing character who's always been supporting everyone else, but in this last year there's been a lot of focus on the Brady family and it's just been such an honour to be able to do the more serious material.

"The writing team is just fantastic - they keep coming up with more and more things. The last year feels like a real pinnacle for me in my career at Hollyoaks. It's great, as I always said that I wanted to come in and give the character as much depth as I could."

Is there a part of you that misses Cheryl's more comedic side?
"What I really miss is her identity. I think Cheryl can be serious while still looking the way she looked, and I'm hoping that we'll get that balance coming up. For example, just before Lynsey's funeral, Cheryl comes down the stairs dressed all in black with her hair straightened and not much make-up. But then she says to Brendan, 'I don't feel like me'.

"After that, she goes back upstairs and changes back into something colourful, which is more like the old Cheryl. I do really miss that, and I'm hoping that I'll get to bring some of Cheryl's old flavour back. I think that's what's so vulnerable and adorable about her - she just keeps getting it wrong when it comes to her dress sense, and that lends itself to some comedy.

"This year I've had a wonderful opportunity to do some serious drama, but I'm also hoping that we'll get some of Cheryl's fun side back."

What else can we expect from the week of Lynsey's funeral?
"Lynsey was a very important character for Hollyoaks and instrumental to the whole Silas plot, which I think is when the audience really warmed to her. She was a huge part of Cheryl's life and Brendan's too, because Brendan grew up with the two of them.

"There will be some really emotional scenes in the week of the funeral. But the coroner has had Lynsey's body for a few months doing tests, so I think Cheryl's now trying to be really strong and act as the matriarch for everyone. She's organised the funeral to take the pressure off the family, so you'll see a real maturity and strength in Cheryl - she's trying to do it right for Lynsey.

"There is a really heartbreaking scene at the funeral and also afterwards. There's some really unexpected stuff for the audience towards the end of the week. It's going to be a really, really strong week and I think the viewers will feel like they've got what they needed."

What is the mood like between Cheryl and Brendan?
"Well, obviously there's still the aftermath of Hollyoaks Later. Cheryl has shunned Brendan, because obviously seeing your brother chop up a dead body isn't ideal! That's quite hard to forgive, but Brendan is trying his hardest to seek forgiveness from Cheryl, and she's letting him in little by little. As much as she's angry with him, she knows it would be wrong to totally shut him out."

Lynsey's brother Eoghan is also in the episodes, isn't he?
"Yes, he's an old family friend, but also an ex-boyfriend of Cheryl's. It's nice to have that support there for her, and I think the audience will enjoy having that new character in.

"Alan who played the role is an absolute sweetheart. He's tall, gorgeous, very hunky and an absolute darling to work with. It was also really nice to expand the Irish clan once more. At one time, there were five of us here, and now it's just Emmett and I! I think the audience will like Eoghan and there's some unexpected turns with him. You'll have to watch the whole week to get the full picture."

Doctor Browning is also still causing trouble by pleading not guilty to Lynsey's murder…
"That's a huge shock for Cheryl! She goes to the court hearing, because she wants to be standing in front of this man when he says sorry for what he's done. She never even contemplates that he might plead not guilty. In a situation like this, where a killer doesn't admit fault, they kind of hold a piece of that person forever. It's hard to grieve for someone when their killer won't admit any fault."

Cheryl saw Brendan cutting up Mick's body, but she doesn't know that he killed Nana Flo. Would you like her to find out?
"Personally, I don't want Cheryl to ever find out the truth about how Nana died. I think that would be a nail in the coffin for Cheryl and Brendan. At the moment they're trying to rebuild their relationship, and it's important to me that they do. I think they're each other's only support network at the moment.

"The Bradys are such a tight-knit family, so I think it would be incredibly disturbing if Cheryl ever found out the truth. But then again, she doesn't know about the abuse that Brendan suffered or that Nana did nothing about it. Maybe if she knew why Brendan did it, it would change things - but I still think it'd be a hell of a lot for her to take on board. That's Brendan's ghost and sometimes it's best to leave some stones unturned."

Are you hoping we'll see Walker pop up again?
"I hope so, but that's on a selfish level because I love Neil Newbon, who's a wonderful, generous actor and also rather gorgeous, so that helps too! He is such a pleasure to work with. His whole story is based on Brendan and revenge, and I think there are some untold stories there. Whether or not we'll get a chance to tell them or not, I don't know.

"There are definitely questions unanswered, because Walker just disappeared. That will be a weight on Brendan's shoulder, and Cheryl will be dreading the possibility that he could come back!"

What did you make of Cheryl's little romance storyline with Nate in Hollyoaks Later?
"I think it was very sad that their relationship ended up fizzling to nothing! I don't think it would have if Cheryl hadn't walked in on Brendan cutting up a dead body! If that hadn't happened, I think they'd be married by now!

"Cheryl has definitely gone through a lot and she's lost a lot of people. She needs her brother back now. I hope that will happen, as I can't bear it otherwise. Emmett and I are such good friends and I don't like it when our characters don't get along."

Do you think Cheryl needs a new friendship in the show with Lynsey gone?
"Cheryl is still clearly missing her best friend, isn't she? Someone needs to replace that best friend, because at the moment it's like French without Saunders or Thelma without Louise! I'd very much like Ste to step in and take that position. They'd make a great team. Kieron is my best friend in real life and I think that pairing would lend itself to some funny, lighter moments.

"I also love Cheryl and Nancy together. When Steph was unwell, I think Cheryl and Nancy were hysterical together. I'm hoping that we get to explore the lighter stuff and I'd love us to do more book club stuff, too. Maybe we can get the gay characters to come into the book club. It'd be hilarious to have Ste, Doug and Brendan in on the girls' book club!"

Emmett has been hinting that he wants Brendan's story to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Do you feel the same way with Cheryl?
"Absolutely yes, I really do. As an actor on any job, you've got to find the journey and understand where that journey goes. Some actors can see it working for them in many different rehashed ways, but I wanted to come in and show that this wonderful, larger-than-life and big-hearted character could have lots of layers to her.

"There's a huge history with the Bradys, and I always said that I wanted to look into Cheryl's background, her family and what makes her tick. We're starting to look into that now. But for me, having a beginning, a middle and an end is the only way you can do justice to that character and be truthful to it. That's for the best for the fans too, because they don't get sick of you!"

Perdita
14-01-2013, 10:40
Cheryl Brady's most recent Hollyoaks love interest is making a return to the soap.

Actor Tom Turner is reprising his role as Nate, who took a shine to Cheryl when they met in Southport in last year's series of Hollyoaks Later.

While Hollyoaks haven't officially confirmed the rumours, the cat was let out of the bag on Friday (January 11) when Turner was pictured on a night out with the cast in Liverpool.

Cheryl has never had the easiest time with her love life, so viewers will have to wait and see how long Nate is around for and whether she'll finally get some happiness.

Bronagh Waugh, who plays Cheryl, spoke to Digital Spy about Nate in her last interview with us in October.

She said at the time: "I think it was very sad that their relationship ended up fizzling to nothing! I don't think it would have if Cheryl hadn't walked in on Brendan cutting up a dead body! If that hadn't happened, I think they'd be married by now!"

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

Perdita
01-02-2013, 17:33
Hollyoaks star Bronagh Waugh has decided to bow out from her role as Cheryl Brady.

The actress's final scenes as Cheryl will air in March in the same week as her on-screen brother Brendan's dramatic departure.

Cheryl's exit will be tied in with Brendan's, but show bosses are currently keeping tight-lipped about whether viewers can expect a death, an arrest or an escape from the village - with or without her sibling in tow.

Waugh told Digital Spy today (February 1): "Deciding to leave Hollyoaks was tough - I have had the most incredible four years on the show and the cast and crew really are like my family - but it just feels like the right time for me and for Cheryl.

"I am so proud to have had the opportunity to be a part of some of the most hard-hitting and heart-warming storylines. I would like to thank everyone at Lime Pictures, especially the crew, who are some of the most talented and creative individuals that I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

"I am indebted to the support that the Hollyoaks fans have given me, and to Cheryl and the Brady family."

Cheryl was first introduced to viewers in late-night spinoff Hollyoaks Later in 2008. She was then brought into the main show as a new regular in early 2009.

The fun-loving character's storylines have mixed both comedy and drama over the years, and viewers have seen tough times for her while dealing with the darkness surrounding her sibling Brendan.

Hollyoaks' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood added: "Bronagh has brought an irrepressible, unique and beautiful flavour to Hollyoaks for the last four years and the much loved character of Cheryl will be hugely missed by everyone here.

"From a guest role in Hollyoaks Later, Cheryl quickly made her mark on the main 6.30pm show and created one of Hollyoaks' greatest characters. We wish her the very best for the future."

Show insiders are promising that the final scenes for Brendan and Cheryl will be part of an "explosive" week of Hollyoaks, with a number of twists and turns leading up to their exits.

Away from Hollyoaks, Waugh is keen to explore new roles and opportunities both in Ireland and the UK.

In summer 2012, the 30-year-old filmed BBC thriller The Fall alongside Gillian Anderson, which gave her the taste to take on new parts.

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

lizann
03-02-2013, 22:36
another great character leaving

tammyy2j
05-02-2013, 00:03
Cheryl deserves a happy ending

alan45
15-03-2013, 01:21
After four years of laughter and tears, it's time for Hollyoaks fans to bid farewell to Cheryl Brady next week as actress Bronagh Waugh bows out from the role.

Exact details of how Cheryl leaves the village are still being kept under wraps, but her exit comes as part of an explosive week for Hollyoaks which sees the Brady family's storylines reach a shocking climax.

We recently caught up with Bronagh to hear about her soap departure and her future plans.

Why did you decide to leave Hollyoaks at this point?
"I made my decision a while ago. It was just after I started filming The Fall, but when I spoke to the producers about it, I told them that it was a really, really difficult decision to make. I knew where the storyline was heading, so I said that I'd stay for as long as it took to get this story told. I was very passionate about telling it and I really wanted to do Cheryl justice.

"It's tough because I've been in Hollyoaks for four years, so it is like my home. It's given me such incredible opportunities, and I've had the chance to tell some amazing stories. Cheryl is so dear to my heart and she's one of my favourite characters that I've played. I wouldn't have stayed with the show for so long if I wasn't having so much fun.

"But I just think the opportunity to do The Fall gave me the hunger to try out other things again. It's quite unusual as an actor to stay in one role for so long. I think some people are built to do soaps and stay there for 20 years, but I love taking on different roles, absorbing them and throwing myself into the research.

"I'm really grateful to Hollyoaks because I learned everything on the job, and that's the best way to be. It's an amazing training ground and I learned all of my television skills there. I'm immensely proud of Hollyoaks and a huge supporter of it - I always will be."

We've heard quite a bit about next week's episodes from Brendan's point of view, but what can the Cheryl fans expect?
"Everything seems to be coming together for Cheryl at the moment, and that's fantastic. I think anyone who's been a fan of Cheryl will know that she's always been so unlucky in love, but now it feels like everything is finally coming together for her. I've always wanted her to fall in love with the right guy and it's within grasp with Nate at the moment.

"But in typical Brady fashion, nothing ever goes to plan! It's going to be a massive week for Cheryl, because her happy ending is so close and in reach - but then it's thrown into jeopardy.

"The most important man in Cheryl's life, even beyond Nate, is Brendan. Those two characters are so inextricably linked and they have such a beautiful relationship. Their whole world is about to come crashing down, and nothing for Cheryl will ever be the same again. Everything that's about to happen will leave her with massive life questions. Everything that she knew and trusted in life is going to be turned upside down."

What was your final day on set like?
"There were lots of tears! Emmett [Scanlan] finished filming the week before me, so there were tears at that point. Then when I left the following week, I was a mess!

"All of these people at Hollyoaks are like my family, because I'm very far away from my home in Northern Ireland. It was very emotional moving away from my Hollyoaks family and leaving them. So there were tears, but they were happy tears because it's the start of a new era for me and that's exciting."

We've heard you had two leaving parties!
"Yes, it's a bit of an in-joke in Hollyoaks that only Bronagh could have two leaving parties! I did one for everyone when Emmett was still there. Because we'd made the decision to leave together, we wanted a joint leaving party, so we had it in the canteen at work.

"We wanted to do something really different and pay for it all, so lots of the cast and crew and their kids could attend. We very much wanted to make it a family affair, so the kids were allowed to come. The party the week after was more for the grown-ups, so we all went out together at that point."

Who will you be staying in touch with?
"Well, I've already been talking to Kieron [Richardson] and Jess Fox on the phone every day. They're two of my best friends, so I've been finding out what's going on from them!

"One thing that's really weird is that Carley Stenson has just moved back up to Liverpool because she's finished in Shrek, but now I've moved down south, so we can't believe that we're missing each other again! Carley came as a surprise to my second leaving party and so did Andy Moss, so that was lovely.

"I'm also really close to PJ [Brennan], and it's been weird not having Emmett in the country. I keep messaging Emmett to say that it feels like my right arm is missing and asking him to please come home from LA now! (Laughs.)

"Ashley Taylor Dawson is also amazing. He's so talented and he even wrote a song for me called 'Bronagh' and got all the cast to sing it at my leaving party. It was just amazing and I cried my eyes out. Ashley is such a thoughtful guy and I thought that was really special."

You had a real mix of comedic and dramatic storylines as Cheryl. Which were your favourites?
"One of the beauties of a character like Cheryl is that you get to do such a wide variety of material. I came in to Hollyoaks as a real comedy character, but then I was given the opportunity to do Malachy and Steph's deaths. That came unexpectedly and I don't think the writers or the producer at the time were really expecting me to be able to handle the more meatier stuff.

"Once I did those scenes, they gave me a lot more dramatic material, so since then I've had a lovely balance between comedy and drama. I was touched by that, because it was my first signal that they were trusting me to handle the meatier stuff.

"Also, when they told me they were bringing my brother in, I was so excited. It's always a good sign when they bring some of your family into the show. Emmett and I just became so close and we really are like brother and sister. We love each other unconditionally, so I've loved all of the storylines that I've done with him.

"We really enjoyed it when Cheryl discovered that Brendan was gay. It was starting to become a bit of a joke that Cheryl just wasn't seeing it, but when she found out, it signalled a change in Cheryl's character. She started to grow up and see that everything wasn't always as it seemed."

The Bradys were extended further after that…
"Yes, we always said that we wanted to mould the Bradys on The Sopranos! We wanted to be like the Irish Sopranos! We had this empire with Chez Chez and Brendan buying properties in the village. I felt like Cheryl was like the Mama Irish part of the clan, and we kept getting lots of waifs and strays in like Joel, who I could look after. I really enjoyed that, because it felt like our own little mafia family!

"Especially when Seamus came in - it was like having the Don of the family! We always thought that it'd be great to have a late-night Brady spinoff, just with our family and the gangster stuff!"

Do you think Hollyoaks will bounce back from so many popular cast members leaving?
"Of course - Hollyoaks is the king of bounce back! I think with the different characters that are leaving, it's signalling the end of a certain style of Hollyoaks. In the format of television, you have to be ever-changing and ahead of the times, otherwise people get bored.

"Our time has been quite dark throughout the last two years, so I think it's important for Hollyoaks to evolve and change. In times of recession, we all need something to cheer us up and give us hope. The Bradys killing and swindling people all the time doesn't always help with that!

"I've met some of the new cast they're bringing in and they're fantastic. I'm sure the show will go from strength to strength. It's ironic that we're leaving now, because it's a really exciting time for the show with some great things in the pipeline. Hopefully we can stop being the underdog and start coming out on top!"

What are your future career ambitions?
"Even before Downton Abbey came out, I always wanted to do a period drama. That would be my absolute goal, as I think it'd be such a change from Cheryl, and it'd also be different to the role I did in The Fall. I'd love to put a corset on because I think I've got the assets and the lungs for it! I'd love to do something like Downton Abbey, a Dickens adaptation, or an adaptation of one of the Brontes' books."

Would you ever go over to the US?
"At the moment I'm concentrating on the UK because I think that's where my strengths lie. Having said that, I went to an American high school and my father's Canadian, so I do hope there's the potential to work globally. As an actor, you have to be able to move around like that and be up for it.

"I'm applying for my Canadian citizenship at the moment, because there's a lot of stuff happening in Vancouver. I've also always wanted to live in New York, so it's there that appeals to me more so than LA. I think it must be the bright lights of Broadway!

"A lot of actors go over to America just to see if they can get meetings, but I'd prefer to line something up first. It must be scary! I don't know whether I'd be accepted there, because I'm not a size zero and I'm so different. I'm so confident in my own skin here, so I don't know whether LA would break me! I'd definitely consider it, though - we'll just have to see."

Would you like Hollyoaks to bring in more Irish characters?
"I don't know how I'd feel about that, as it'd be weird for me to watch, but it'll probably happen in the future! (Laughs.) I'm so proud that we've had such a massive Irish contingency in the village. No other soap or continuing drama has ever really had that before.

"I'm so glad that they took a chance on Gerard McCarthy's character Kris, who was just fantastic, and Glen Wallace's character Malachy. Then they brought Cheryl, Lynsey and Brendan in, too. That all stemmed from Kris and Malachy, and I know there'll be a big Irish-shaped hole in the village now.

"Britain is so diverse - there's so many different types of cultures that make up our world here, so I think other avenues could be explored. I'd like to see a new black or Asian family - I think that would be amazing. If they did another Irish clan, maybe they could do travellers because nobody's really explored that before."

How would you like Cheryl to be remembered?
"I hope the viewers remember her for being bubbly, big and vivacious with a heart of gold. She was like a 100-mile-an-hour Tasmanian devil, but she had an absolute bursting heart.

"Cheryl made lots of mistakes along the way but was ultimately a loveable character. I think she's daft and crazy, but you can't help but love her. She means well with everything that she did."

alan45
15-03-2013, 01:21
After four years of laughter and tears, it's time for Hollyoaks fans to bid farewell to Cheryl Brady next week as actress Bronagh Waugh bows out from the role.

Exact details of how Cheryl leaves the village are still being kept under wraps, but her exit comes as part of an explosive week for Hollyoaks which sees the Brady family's storylines reach a shocking climax.

We recently caught up with Bronagh to hear about her soap departure and her future plans.

Why did you decide to leave Hollyoaks at this point?
"I made my decision a while ago. It was just after I started filming The Fall, but when I spoke to the producers about it, I told them that it was a really, really difficult decision to make. I knew where the storyline was heading, so I said that I'd stay for as long as it took to get this story told. I was very passionate about telling it and I really wanted to do Cheryl justice.

"It's tough because I've been in Hollyoaks for four years, so it is like my home. It's given me such incredible opportunities, and I've had the chance to tell some amazing stories. Cheryl is so dear to my heart and she's one of my favourite characters that I've played. I wouldn't have stayed with the show for so long if I wasn't having so much fun.

"But I just think the opportunity to do The Fall gave me the hunger to try out other things again. It's quite unusual as an actor to stay in one role for so long. I think some people are built to do soaps and stay there for 20 years, but I love taking on different roles, absorbing them and throwing myself into the research.

"I'm really grateful to Hollyoaks because I learned everything on the job, and that's the best way to be. It's an amazing training ground and I learned all of my television skills there. I'm immensely proud of Hollyoaks and a huge supporter of it - I always will be."

We've heard quite a bit about next week's episodes from Brendan's point of view, but what can the Cheryl fans expect?
"Everything seems to be coming together for Cheryl at the moment, and that's fantastic. I think anyone who's been a fan of Cheryl will know that she's always been so unlucky in love, but now it feels like everything is finally coming together for her. I've always wanted her to fall in love with the right guy and it's within grasp with Nate at the moment.

"But in typical Brady fashion, nothing ever goes to plan! It's going to be a massive week for Cheryl, because her happy ending is so close and in reach - but then it's thrown into jeopardy.

"The most important man in Cheryl's life, even beyond Nate, is Brendan. Those two characters are so inextricably linked and they have such a beautiful relationship. Their whole world is about to come crashing down, and nothing for Cheryl will ever be the same again. Everything that's about to happen will leave her with massive life questions. Everything that she knew and trusted in life is going to be turned upside down."

What was your final day on set like?
"There were lots of tears! Emmett [Scanlan] finished filming the week before me, so there were tears at that point. Then when I left the following week, I was a mess!

"All of these people at Hollyoaks are like my family, because I'm very far away from my home in Northern Ireland. It was very emotional moving away from my Hollyoaks family and leaving them. So there were tears, but they were happy tears because it's the start of a new era for me and that's exciting."

We've heard you had two leaving parties!
"Yes, it's a bit of an in-joke in Hollyoaks that only Bronagh could have two leaving parties! I did one for everyone when Emmett was still there. Because we'd made the decision to leave together, we wanted a joint leaving party, so we had it in the canteen at work.

"We wanted to do something really different and pay for it all, so lots of the cast and crew and their kids could attend. We very much wanted to make it a family affair, so the kids were allowed to come. The party the week after was more for the grown-ups, so we all went out together at that point."

Who will you be staying in touch with?
"Well, I've already been talking to Kieron [Richardson] and Jess Fox on the phone every day. They're two of my best friends, so I've been finding out what's going on from them!

"One thing that's really weird is that Carley Stenson has just moved back up to Liverpool because she's finished in Shrek, but now I've moved down south, so we can't believe that we're missing each other again! Carley came as a surprise to my second leaving party and so did Andy Moss, so that was lovely.

"I'm also really close to PJ [Brennan], and it's been weird not having Emmett in the country. I keep messaging Emmett to say that it feels like my right arm is missing and asking him to please come home from LA now! (Laughs.)

"Ashley Taylor Dawson is also amazing. He's so talented and he even wrote a song for me called 'Bronagh' and got all the cast to sing it at my leaving party. It was just amazing and I cried my eyes out. Ashley is such a thoughtful guy and I thought that was really special."

You had a real mix of comedic and dramatic storylines as Cheryl. Which were your favourites?
"One of the beauties of a character like Cheryl is that you get to do such a wide variety of material. I came in to Hollyoaks as a real comedy character, but then I was given the opportunity to do Malachy and Steph's deaths. That came unexpectedly and I don't think the writers or the producer at the time were really expecting me to be able to handle the more meatier stuff.

"Once I did those scenes, they gave me a lot more dramatic material, so since then I've had a lovely balance between comedy and drama. I was touched by that, because it was my first signal that they were trusting me to handle the meatier stuff.

"Also, when they told me they were bringing my brother in, I was so excited. It's always a good sign when they bring some of your family into the show. Emmett and I just became so close and we really are like brother and sister. We love each other unconditionally, so I've loved all of the storylines that I've done with him.

"We really enjoyed it when Cheryl discovered that Brendan was gay. It was starting to become a bit of a joke that Cheryl just wasn't seeing it, but when she found out, it signalled a change in Cheryl's character. She started to grow up and see that everything wasn't always as it seemed."

The Bradys were extended further after that…
"Yes, we always said that we wanted to mould the Bradys on The Sopranos! We wanted to be like the Irish Sopranos! We had this empire with Chez Chez and Brendan buying properties in the village. I felt like Cheryl was like the Mama Irish part of the clan, and we kept getting lots of waifs and strays in like Joel, who I could look after. I really enjoyed that, because it felt like our own little mafia family!

"Especially when Seamus came in - it was like having the Don of the family! We always thought that it'd be great to have a late-night Brady spinoff, just with our family and the gangster stuff!"

Do you think Hollyoaks will bounce back from so many popular cast members leaving?
"Of course - Hollyoaks is the king of bounce back! I think with the different characters that are leaving, it's signalling the end of a certain style of Hollyoaks. In the format of television, you have to be ever-changing and ahead of the times, otherwise people get bored.

"Our time has been quite dark throughout the last two years, so I think it's important for Hollyoaks to evolve and change. In times of recession, we all need something to cheer us up and give us hope. The Bradys killing and swindling people all the time doesn't always help with that!

"I've met some of the new cast they're bringing in and they're fantastic. I'm sure the show will go from strength to strength. It's ironic that we're leaving now, because it's a really exciting time for the show with some great things in the pipeline. Hopefully we can stop being the underdog and start coming out on top!"

What are your future career ambitions?
"Even before Downton Abbey came out, I always wanted to do a period drama. That would be my absolute goal, as I think it'd be such a change from Cheryl, and it'd also be different to the role I did in The Fall. I'd love to put a corset on because I think I've got the assets and the lungs for it! I'd love to do something like Downton Abbey, a Dickens adaptation, or an adaptation of one of the Brontes' books."

Would you ever go over to the US?
"At the moment I'm concentrating on the UK because I think that's where my strengths lie. Having said that, I went to an American high school and my father's Canadian, so I do hope there's the potential to work globally. As an actor, you have to be able to move around like that and be up for it.

"I'm applying for my Canadian citizenship at the moment, because there's a lot of stuff happening in Vancouver. I've also always wanted to live in New York, so it's there that appeals to me more so than LA. I think it must be the bright lights of Broadway!

"A lot of actors go over to America just to see if they can get meetings, but I'd prefer to line something up first. It must be scary! I don't know whether I'd be accepted there, because I'm not a size zero and I'm so different. I'm so confident in my own skin here, so I don't know whether LA would break me! I'd definitely consider it, though - we'll just have to see."

Would you like Hollyoaks to bring in more Irish characters?
"I don't know how I'd feel about that, as it'd be weird for me to watch, but it'll probably happen in the future! (Laughs.) I'm so proud that we've had such a massive Irish contingency in the village. No other soap or continuing drama has ever really had that before.

"I'm so glad that they took a chance on Gerard McCarthy's character Kris, who was just fantastic, and Glen Wallace's character Malachy. Then they brought Cheryl, Lynsey and Brendan in, too. That all stemmed from Kris and Malachy, and I know there'll be a big Irish-shaped hole in the village now.

"Britain is so diverse - there's so many different types of cultures that make up our world here, so I think other avenues could be explored. I'd like to see a new black or Asian family - I think that would be amazing. If they did another Irish clan, maybe they could do travellers because nobody's really explored that before."

How would you like Cheryl to be remembered?
"I hope the viewers remember her for being bubbly, big and vivacious with a heart of gold. She was like a 100-mile-an-hour Tasmanian devil, but she had an absolute bursting heart.

"Cheryl made lots of mistakes along the way but was ultimately a loveable character. I think she's daft and crazy, but you can't help but love her. She means well with everything that she did."

Perdita
23-03-2013, 08:06
With the Bradys' final week on Hollyoaks now sadly at an end, Digital Spy can bring you some extra bonus snippets from our recent interview with Bronagh Waugh, who played Cheryl.

Here, Bronagh reveals that the dramatic twist of Cheryl killing her evil father Seamus was her idea, and explains why she pitched the suggestion to the show's bosses.

Now that we've seen your final scenes, can you tell us what you thought of the Bradys' exit?
"Well, what happened was myself and Emmett actually pitched the idea of this exit storyline together, so we knew how it was going to play out for a long time. Leaving was a decision we made together and we knew this storyline would be the end of the line for both of us. But the story was just so good.

"It was actually Emma Smithwick, the previous producer, who we pitched the idea to, and she thought it was fantastic. Bryan Kirkwood has been a huge part of it as well. Emma and Bryan worked on it together before Emma left, and they both agreed it would be a great way for us to go."

So Cheryl shooting Seamus was your idea?
"Yes, it was my idea. Everyone always sees Cheryl as so naïve and so vulnerable. But when you think about it, she was so ballsy and strong when she first came into the show. Cheryl's love for her brother is so strong, but she's missed this massive part of his life for so long.

"We needed to have a massive pay-off, so I wanted it to be the ultimate story of Cheryl protecting Brendan. I think it makes up for all the times that she buried her head in the sand and missed things, like the clues pointing to the abuse.

"I think the shooting was an example of the real biological love that is held together by blood. You have that animalistic instinct to protect your brother. Cheryl knew she had to protect him in that instant, but then her whole world fell apart and she didn't know what to do next.

"It was important for me to take Cheryl further, because I was tired of her always burying her head in the sand and not seeing things, because I think she's smarter than that."

Do you think Cheryl will come to regret her actions?
"I don't think she'll ever regret what she did, because ultimately she got rid of somebody who had so badly damaged her brother. It's a huge shock to discover that the father you loved so deeply and sought approval from this monster. I think if Cheryl could do it again, she would.

"However, Cheryl would feel incredibly guilty about Brendan going down. That's the hardest thing to cope with - that Brendan wants to make the ultimate sacrifice by protecting her, because she's got her whole life ahead of her. What eats her up the most is knowing that her brother is doing time."

Would you return to Hollyoaks?
"Bryan's been amazing and has left it open for me. I would never say never about going back to Hollyoaks."

Would you like another action-type role after this week's scenes?
"I'd love to wield a gun again! Doing it in my final week on Hollyoaks gave me a taste to do a bit of action. I'd love to play a really tough female cop. I think that'd be really fun."

Do you have any final thoughts?
"I've love to extend a great big thank you to Digital Spy and everyone on the forums, because everyone's always been so supportive over the years. I'm really grateful for that - everyone's just been fab!"

Katy
23-03-2013, 09:55
There was someone on twitter who posted that for the first time in seven years next week hollyoaks will have no Irish characters in it.

ElleHeart
23-03-2013, 14:40
I'll miss her, I've always loved a bit of Cheryl...