PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Lily - You Bring Me Joy

tammyy2j
10-08-2012, 15:53
Amelia Lily's "journey" on last year's X Factor was probably the most satisfying we've ever encountered.

After eventually finishing third place (despite being booted out in the first week), the 17-year-old signed to prestigious pop label and home to Girls Aloud Xenomania, who produced her entire debut album including new single 'You Bring Me Joy'.

Digital Spy met up with the singer to find out how she's coping with fame and what else we can expect from her LP.

How's your week been so far?
"Really good so far thanks, I've started doing loads of press and the single has gone to radio. It's exciting but very nerve-wracking! Getting Capital FM on board is a dream come true."

And to think you were booted out on the first week...
"The journey on that show was such a rollercoaster. I don't think I could explain to anyone how difficult it was to go out on week one, miss five weeks of shows and be brought back in. I actually think now it was the best thing that could have happened, because while I was out I could connect with a real audience."

What was life like post-X Factor, pre-record deal?
"I had a couple of weeks off at Christmas after the final - I sat on the sofa in my onesie and didn't move for two weeks! I spent a couple of days watching every X Factor episode back. By the sixth episode I paused it and just sat there in amazement at everything that's happened. I feel like the luckiest person in the world. I moved to London two weeks later with my brother and signed a record deal. The whole thing is hard to put into words."

When were you first approached by record labels?
"When I was out of the competition I was already in talks with labels. When I went back in I thought I had nothing to lose and could get myself out there more. I stuck with the same people who approached me when I first went out of the show. I trust them a lot."

Your first single 'You Bring Me Joy' and album is produced by Xenomania. Are they as hard-working as everyone says?
"They do work you hard but it takes that to get to the top! I can't thank that team enough for what they've done for me. I idolise Brian Higgins - he's a complete mad genius! I owe them all a lot and everything I've done with them I've been extremely happy with. Their studio is like a second home to me."

Did you catch anyone else hanging around the studio?
"I met Beth Ditto who was just an absolute legend. What you see is what you get with her. What better person to take advice from than someone who says exactly how they feel? I reckon we'd throw a few good parties together! I also met Sarah, Nadine and Nicola, who are still very down to earth even after ten years in the industry."

When is the album due out?
"The album is out in November and that's all I can say for now!"

A lot of people were expecting your music to sound like Kelly Clarkson or Pink. Did you purposefully steer away from that?
"Everyone was predicting that kind of sound and I think I've come out with a song that's the opposite of what people expect. That's what I love about it! I don't want to be the next Pink or Kelly Clarkson, I want to be Amelia Lily. 'You Bring Me Joy' represents all the different sounds that I love and my passion for it all."

What's the best song on your album?
"Every song is so different so it's hard to say at the moment. There's a ballad on there which I absolutely adore and it really shows the soul side to my voice. People think of me as a rock chick but people forget my first audition when I sung 'Piece Of My Heart'. There's a bit of dubstep on there as well which I think will surprise people! The sound is all over the place but I think the record works because we've only included songs that I really connected with."

Have you seen the Katy Perry movie?
"I haven't yet but I really want to! I really fancy Katy Perry - she's definitely my girl crush. She's so talented and I'd love to meet her one day."

Last year's X Factor has turned out a lot of artists; what do you make of Little Mix's new single?
"I knew Little Mix would bring out an amazing track; I didn't expect anything less from them. Misha's song is also brilliant and I'm so proud of her. She got a lot of stick on the show and she handled it so well and she's winning people over now. I think she's a complete inspiration."

Amelia Lily releases 'You Bring Me Joy' on September 2. Her debut album follows in November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvpeBPxyZAY&feature=player_embedded