PDA

View Full Version : E-readers

Abigail
11-03-2012, 17:39
Hi folks,

I'm going to buy an e-reader but I can't decide between the Kindle 3g and the Kobo Vox. They're both the same price so that's not a factor. I'll summarise the pros and cons from my position. I'd just like some advice on which people think is better and whether anybody has a Kobo.

Kindle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B002LVUWFE/ref=sa_menu_kdp32)
Pros
Has free 3g so I can download books anywhere in the world.
Has e-ink so can be read in direct sunlight
Cheapest e-books on the market

Cons
Is just an e-reader.
Black and grey screen
Can't read in the dark

Kobo Vox (http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox)
Pros
Colour touch screen
Built on open source android 2.2 with 15000 free apps
Has internet capabilities.
Bigger library than Amazon (2.2m compared to Amazon's 1.9m)

Cons
LCD screen - no e-ink but can do night and day mode.
Doesn't have 3G, only wi-fi
Doesn't have newspaper and magazine capabilities.
Some reviews note problems with touch sensitivity

Looking at the pros and cons, the Vox seems a no-brainer but I'd really like 3G capability in case I'm stuck up a mountain one day. I'm also concerned that the LCD screen is inferior to e-ink. I'm genuinely stumped on which to go for. I know it's a personal choice but I'd really like to know what other people think. The two people I've spoken to said what's your primary use (reading) and which suits that the best? They recommend the kindle because they have no experience of Kobo.

Somebody please tell me which to buy, I just can't decide :D

Chloe O'brien
11-03-2012, 17:51
I've got a kindle and I love it. You can buy a clip on torch for it too read in the dark if you want.

Abigail
11-03-2012, 17:55
Does the torch actually work or does it cast shadows on the screen? How much was the torch?

Chloe O'brien
11-03-2012, 17:59
my sister got a torch from Tesco's for a tenner. My only fault with the Kindle was with trying to register your details on it. You had to do it one letter or number at a time one the keyboard. It took about half an hour to register, but once it's done that's it

Abigail
11-03-2012, 18:04
Which kindle have you got? Would you upgrade if you could?

Chloe O'brien
11-03-2012, 18:12
It's an Amazon Kindle I only got it at Christmas I've got 20 books on it at the moment. I have no plans to upgrade it yet.

Dazzle
12-03-2012, 06:44
I've got a Kobo Touch and I love it. I didn't want to be tied into only buying books from Amazon - the Kobo uses the Epub format so you can buy books from it from practically anywhere, and borrow library books too. I can't comment on prices as I've only read free books so far.

I love the e-ink screen and use a clip-on torch I bough from Amazon to read at night. I didn't want a backlit LCD screen as I can get that on my netbook if I want.

The touch screen on the Kobo Touch is a little temperamental at times, but hasn't caused me any problems. I enjoy using it, and would much prefer it to pressing buttons.

I hope you find what's right for you, Abigail :)

Siobhan
12-03-2012, 07:29
I have a hexaglot e-reader... holds books, music and also has handwriting recognition.. you can read books in epub but you can also upload word, adobe files if you need to edit or correct them.. oh and it also stores pictures... I love mine

Dazzle
12-03-2012, 07:35
I suppose it depends if you just want a device that reads books, or want more from it.

Kim
16-03-2012, 00:46
I have the Kindle 3G. Do you have the Kindle 4 Kath? The only thing that takes a while on the 3G is if you want numbers/symbols, as you then have to use the on screen keyboard.

You can get the internet on the Kindle but it is limited as it's an experimental browser and only allows one window to be open. The zoom can get a bit annoying. The 3G can also read the books to you if the book is text-to-speech enabled.

I would say to consider whether you will want to highlight/make notes in the books. It's relatively easy to do on the 3G because of the keyboard. I'm not sure if the alternative allows notes/highlights though.

Oh, and the 3G comes with a mains charger.

Katy
07-04-2012, 16:06
i have just purchased a Kobo Ereader off EBay for 30 quid, im really impressed with it. Only got free books on it at the moment, but i find it much easier to read than a normal book dont know why. Its great for the bus on the way to and from work as its so light. Think i need to get a torch for it thoguh so i can read it at night.