PDA

View Full Version : Homeland

tammyy2j
14-02-2012, 12:35
One of the best and most talked-about US dramas of recent times debuts on Channel 4 this weekend - Homeland is a scintillating psychological thriller, following a US PoW who is rescued after eight years in captivity and the CIA operative (Claire Danes) who's convinced that he's been turned by a terrorist cell...

Digital Spy caught up with Damian Lewis, who stars as tortured marine Nicholas Brody, and David Harewood, who plays CIA deputy director David Estes, for an insightful and revealing chat about what to expect from the Golden Globe-winning show.

When you were first cast in Homeland, did you ever expect that the show would be such a massive success?
Damian: "You never know when you're taking a job, ever... but you try to take good scripts. That's all you can do as an actor - take the best thing available. Even then, it's not [really] in your control. Certainly not in film and TV, because there are so many other elements. You just have to take control of your own performance. But it was a good pilot.

"I'd lived in LA for two years and I said to my agent that I wouldn't do any more network TV, because my family and I had just made the decision to live in England. It would be a whole year in LA shooting network TV.

"But I said that if something really interesting in cable TV comes along and I'm lucky enough to be on a list, then send it to me. And lo and behold, this showed up.

"I jumped [at it] so it was definitely a cut above, when I read it. But still then, you don't know [if it will be a success]."

David: "It's extraordinary really, but I didn't actually read [the pilot] until after I got the job! It came through from my manager and I read the e-mail very quickly - I was doing a play at the time, at the National. It was 14 pages - 5 scenes. So I learnt the scenes, put them on tape and sent them off. They obviously saw it, and went 'That's the guy'.

"When I finally got the job, I thought I'd better sit down and read [the pilot]. As soon as I read it, I thought it was fantastic. When you're trying out for pilots, you read a lot of scripts, but this really stood out.

"It was different - it wasn't cops or lawyers. There was something very different about it and I was very happy to be attached to it."

Is it refreshing to be part of a show that has so many moral shades of grey?
Damian: "Yeah, it's what I was drawn to. In fact, I had a long conversation [with the writers] about this US marine - it's not immediately obvious [where his loyalties lie] but it's clear that he's become religious.

"I said that it is far more interesting and far more subversive if that great symbol - a US marine, who goes abroad to fight for our beliefs and our freedoms - finds it necessary to worship a different God, or God in a different name, and become Muslim [through choice].

"I thought that was subversive, challenging and thought-provoking. I didn't want him just to be a Manchurian Candidate - someone who was brainwashed. I thought that was letting him off lightly and letting the show off lightly. It's a far more dangerous and interesting choice to explore why he chose this.

"And it's possible to believe that ten years on from 9/11. None of us, remember, knew that 9/11 was gonna happen. We didn't live in a state of anxiety and fear about Osama Bin Laden. The CIA might have, and they failed to prevent it. But the general public didn't have any knowledge.

"Now we have knowledge of it, and it's a very clear and present danger in our lives. It's fostered an anxiety, a paranoia, which is why this show is, I think, working so well now. Add to that the fact that the way in which our own government perpetrated the war on terror hasn't been universally agreed with. So it's a greyer world, still, that we're in."

Were you ever worried that Homeland could prove controversial?
David: "I think controversy's great. That's been one of the great things about the show - it's really challenged people. It's challenged their notions of what a hero is, what the right thing to do is. We'd all like to think that our governments are doing good things, but actually when you look closely there's been a lot done, in our name, which has been highly controversial and highly dubious over the last ten years and most of us probably don't even know the half of it.

"I think this show is touching upon that - the fact that the CIA isn't the all-powerful, wonderful organisation that it pertains to be. Nor is the government. I think that's what's led to the success of the show, that it has been very, very challenging."

Brody and Estes both have very different dynamics with Carrie. What was it like building up that relationship with Claire Danes?
David: "We were supposed to have had an affair and it was difficult for me because the scenes that we had were confrontational and quite antagonistic, yet I was always trying to remember in the back of my mind that we were once lovers and really close.

"I found that quite difficult and tried not to make that my only point of reference for the [Estes] character. I didn't want him to come across as petty - a jilted lover kind of thing - so it was difficult for me at early doors. I was trying my hardest to make him more interesting and more colourful. I just relaxed into it and tried not to dwell too much upon it."

Damian: "Claire's lovely to work with. She's unbelievably focused, committed, whip-smart, talented and it's just a pleasure being on screen with her. Our relationship, I think, will have a Casablanca-esque to-ing and fro-ing. so we'll see how that resolves."

Damian, we see a badly tortured Brody in the show's early scenes. Is it difficult is it to reach that emotional state?
Damian: "It perhaps takes even greater levels of concentration, but no [it's not difficult] - behavioural extremes are easier for actors to play than something which is far more balanced and middle-of-the-road.

"Quiet people, people who aren't given to emotional outbursts, people who are economic with words - they're also fun to play, but you find yourself needing a laser precision in those roles. Otherwise you just sort of stand around, looking slightly brain-dead. You worry about being uninteresting.

"But if you're given these behavioural extremes, it's really time to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in. The one thing you have to guard against is enjoying it too much - you must control it and give it structure."

But there is that quiet aspect to Brody as well - keeping a lot contained...
Damian: "That's why it's a brilliant role and I am very lucky to have been asked to play it. There's a lot to get stuck into. He's a volatile man and he goes to both extremes emotionally, as you say - quiet and depressed, or anger and histrionic. You get a chance to play lots of different things. It's a great role."

David: "That's what was frustrating about playing Estes - he is that much quieter, much straighter person. It was somewhat frustrating watching [Damian] have all this fun - I think I'm the only character in the show who doesn't have sex with anybody! Everybody else is getting laid, but I never get my kit off in the whole show!"

Damian: "Nobody wants to see that!"

David: "Nobody wants Estes! So for me, it was very procedural, a very straight character. Every now and again, you see a little bit of emotion come out when he's dealing with Carrie, but most of time, it's very much job and country first."

Would you like to explore more of Estes's life away from the CIA, David?
David: "I'd certainly like to explore his darker side. We spoke to a real CIA operative during the [shooting of the] pilot and she was telling me that the guy who does Estes's job in real life is actually quite a dark character. He drinks coffee all time and he's always smoking - he's highly intelligent, but a very peculiar type of person.

"Homeland shows the collateral damage that the CIA has on your personal life... so I think it would be interesting to show the darker side of his personality."

Damian, you played an iconic American hero in Band of Brothers - do you think that lends more power to your portrayal of Brody, who's almost the dark flip-side of that?
Damian: "You're the first person who hasn't suggested that they're similar, and you're right. That's far more accurate. Major Winters was a war hero and Band of Brothers was really about soldiering and the camaraderie that comes about through that, and the extraordinary feats of Easy Company as they helped liberate Europe.

"Brody is a broken animal - he's psychologically and physically abused, and is also potentially carrying this devastating secret. So I think they are different sides of the same coin in that they're both soldiers, but there are very few similarities between them, really.

"They both have an economy with words - an emotional economy - and a soldier's stoicism. They're taught how to deal and how to cope with extreme situations, and everything is bottled up. But that's why I think it's particularly heartbreaking when you see these men broken.

"I saw a lot of it when I was researching Homeland - people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. There's this extraordinary [documentary] film Restrepo which won an Oscar - these boys with a thousand yard stare, trying to grapple in a sophisticated way with situations and having an emotional response. They're not used to [having] an emotional response and it's very moving. But [Brody and Winters] are very different parts."

The show was picked up for a second season very quickly. When did you first hear the news?
David: "It was [picked up] almost immediately. We were still shooting when [the news] came out."

Damian: "We knew by the wrap party that we were getting picked up again. It was very exciting. But cable [channels] are prepared to take more risks on the whole, pay cable especially. It'd be rare for Showtime not to run a show for a couple of seasons.

"But it's been really thrilling to hear the response to it. So as long as they can come up with storylines, it'll be on the air for a long time."

So you think the show has the potential to run and run?
David: "[It's got] four or five years. As long as we don't end up doing stuff that is way too far-fetched, I think that'd be great."

Homeland begins on Sunday, February 19 at 9.30pm on Channel 4

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/s188/homeland/interviews/a364187/homeland-damian-lewis-david-harewood-qa.html

Abigail
26-02-2012, 20:27
I've just watched the first episode on 4OD and now I'm downloading the entire series. It's a brilliant show, I highly recommend it :)

lizann
27-02-2012, 13:16
Ive been watching this on Irish tv and it is a great show Damian Lewis is excellent in his role

N.Fan
07-03-2012, 16:45
So far this show isn't too bad,wasn't expecting the prostitute to get killed in the last episode.

Brucie
07-03-2012, 16:48
Best show on terrestrial TV at the moment - bar none!

Abigail
11-03-2012, 17:20
I've seen the entire series. Keep watching folks, there's a huge twist coming! The seventh episode is definitely a show stopped and a turning point. The pace picks up and everything gets a bit more sinister. I especially love what happens with Carrie in later episodes.

This is one of the programs you DON'T want to read spoilers for. Trust me, you'll be shocked at some of the things that happen but you'll also kick yourself for not seeing it coming.

Chloe O'brien
11-03-2012, 17:55
Abigail is in it great to be in control to know something that no-one else know :D I used to love that with 24. I am watching Homeland but only 1 episode at a time great drama can't be rushed and it has Gideon from Criminal Minds in it how can it not be brilliant.

tammyy2j
11-03-2012, 22:07
Brody aka Damian Lewis was on Graham Norton show this week anyone see him

parkerman
12-03-2012, 08:48
Brody aka Damian Lewis was on Graham Norton show this week anyone see him

Yes.

N.Fan
12-03-2012, 15:43
Yes.
Me too :)

tammyy2j
12-03-2012, 16:42
I hope Brody is in Season 2

Chloe O'brien
06-04-2012, 01:20
Okay I'm still watching spoiler free, how good am I? Anyway I think Saul may turn out to be the traitor. I've just got a hunch. Don't tell me if I'm right I have 5 episodes left.

parkerman
08-05-2012, 18:03
So, what did we all think of the ending then? A bit anti-climatic or leaving you wanting to see the second series.

My main question is what was a devout Muslim doing sitting on the roof drinking BEER!?

lizann
08-05-2012, 21:56
So, what did we all think of the ending then? A bit anti-climatic or leaving you wanting to see the second series.

My main question is what was a devout Muslim doing sitting on the roof drinking BEER!?

I was thinking for ages that Saul was also a traitor

I think Carrie will forget about the son and Brody's connection because of the shock therapy

parkerman
09-05-2012, 06:01
I was thinking for ages that Saul was also a traitor

I think Carrie will forget about the son and Brody's connection because of the shock therapy

They said her memory would return after a few months. Presumably that's where the next series will start, somewhere around then.

Chloe O'brien
12-05-2012, 00:52
Can I just say for those who may not have realised but the writers and producers of this are the same Wacko's who produced 24, which probably means we're in for the long hall. My theory. Brody & Aziz. Small men in big men shoes. Part of my brain would like to believe that Saul is the traitor but if we are going to down the 24 road he's more likely to be a red-herring (Think he's a baddie but he's really a goody).As for the ending Carrie won't forget Brody she wasn't asleep when she was give the electric shock treatment. She felt all the pain because she thought she deserved to. I don't know how many series we will have of this but can I just give a couple of pieces of advice. 1 Trust no-one but Carrie. (She is Jack/Chloe rolled into one) 2 Under no circumstances become emotionally attached to anyone apart from Carrie. (It will only end in tears. Yours, trust me I know I bear the scars of 8 years of 24. I know the pain. When the new series is shown on CH4 just switch off the part of your brain that does the thinking as thinking is bad.

Perdita
25-09-2012, 06:20
Homeland season two is to premiere in the UK on October 7 on Channel 4.

The thriller - which stars Claire Danes and Damian Lewis - will reclaim its 9pm slot on Sunday nights from next month.

The first series of Homeland concluded in the UK on May 6, attracting an audience of over 4m.

The show's debut run will be repeated in full on More4 ahead of the season two premiere, with episodes airing on consecutive evenings from tomorrow night (Tuesday, September 25) at 11.05pm.

Homeland has been named as one of US President Barack Obama's favourite TV shows and triumphed at the recent 2012 Emmy Awards, winning in six categories.

The second season will premiere in the US on cable network Showtime this Sunday (September 30), just one week ahead of UK transmission

tammyy2j
05-10-2012, 23:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_TPjZJCRc&feature=player_detailpage

Back this Sunday on Channel 4

tammyy2j
05-10-2012, 23:28

deadlydave
14-10-2012, 14:19
Loving the 2nd series already. Loved the 1st episode. Im loving also the story line Brody's daughter is having, the mental struggle in her head between her dads religion and her own life. Think its gona be a great series. I dont know wether its a good thing or a bad thing but, could anyone see it going similar to 24??

alan45
23-10-2012, 10:42
Hit US TV series Homeland has been given a third season from the American cable network, Showtime.

Production on 12 new episodes of the Emmy award-winning drama will begin in spring 2013 for air later in the year.

"The evidence seems to be that more and more people are coming to the show, "Showtime's David Nevins told The Hollywood Reporter.

Homeland had its highest-rated episode so far in the US on Sunday with 1.75 million viewers at 22:00 local time.

The show, which stars Damian Lewis and Claire Danes, picked up six Emmys earlier this year, including for outstanding drama series and outstanding lead actress and actor in a drama series.

"The Emmy wins for Homeland have certainly set the stage for a great second season," added Mr Nevins.

"The writers, cast and crew of Homeland continue to create a remarkably entertaining and suspenseful roller coaster ride, growing audiences week after week.

Growing audience
"We can't wait for our viewers to experience what unfolds through the rest of season two," he said.

The US return of Homeland on 30 September was watched by 1.7 million, a 60 per cent rise on the audience for last year's first episode.

And viewership has been growing; 1.75 million tuned in for the fourth episode on Sunday night.

Homeland's UK ratings have proved much higher, with season two's return to Channel 4 on 7 October attracting 2.3 million.

It's unclear whether the story will continue to include the partially outed terrorist, Nicholas Brody played by Damian Lewis but Nevins said "change is inevitable in television".

"I think the core of the writing staff will return," he said, adding: "it would probably get boring if we kept it the same group year after year."

He also revealed that the direction of the plot was not a condition of the third season.

"There are daily, hourly creative conversations about the show, so we're all largely in sync. This pickup was not contingent on anything creative. This is just an opportune moment."

N.Fan
30-10-2012, 15:54
Looks like Brody has finally been revealed as working with the terrorists,and Carrie was enjoying telling him a bit too much.But more than likely he'll be able to talk his way out of being accused.

lizann
30-10-2012, 19:55
wow this show moves fast

parkerman
25-12-2012, 10:28
So, who's the mole? We still don't know...Is it Saul, Brody, Quinn maybe? Perhaps it was David. Could it even be Carrie? Or was there no mole and the car bomb was the posthumous work of Abu Nazir?

Guess what, we'll have to tune in to the third series to find out!

deadlydave
25-12-2012, 19:27
from what i hear also Damien Lewis has signed up for 5 series in total so the whole story may never be answered until the end of series 5, anyone see a 24ish feel coming along here?

lizann
25-12-2012, 22:06
how can brody or even carrie survive now everyone knows he was a terrorist surely she wont be able stay with the cia and what prayer was saul saying and why was he at nazir's funeral?

parkerman
26-12-2012, 08:38
how can brody or even carrie survive now everyone knows he was a terrorist surely she wont be able stay with the cia and what prayer was saul saying and why was he at nazir's funeral?
I don't know what Saul was saying but it was Hebrew. Presumably he was at Nazir's funeral as a CIA officer to make sure he went!

parkerman
26-12-2012, 08:38
I don't know what Saul was saying but it was Hebrew. Presumably he was at Nazir's funeral as a CIA officer to make sure he went!

deadlydave
26-12-2012, 18:34
do you think that Saul is a double agent? really would be a surprise if he is. After everything that has happened.

parkerman
26-12-2012, 19:25
do you think that Saul is a double agent? really would be a surprise if he is. After everything that has happened.

No, I don't think he is mainly because they are making it look like it is him, so it can't be!

parkerman
26-12-2012, 19:25

No, I don't think he is mainly because they are making it look like it is him, so it can't be!

deadlydave
26-12-2012, 19:31
Very true. The way he has been kept in the conference room and the lie detector test. It seems like he may be a collateral damage employee. Pin some blame on him and set him up for a major fall. Im loving the way the storyline is going. I just home Alan45 isnt going to spoil it on me by telling me what happens!!

alan45
26-12-2012, 19:43
Very true. The way he has been kept in the conference room and the lie detector test. It seems like he may be a collateral damage employee. Pin some blame on him and set him up for a major fall. Im loving the way the storyline is going. I just home Alan45 isnt going to spoil it on me by telling me what happens!!
Well it was .............................................

Seriously. I only ever watched a few episodes of Series 1

deadlydave
28-12-2012, 02:39

But could that be Sauls close call? maybe he was thinking "im about to be found out here" Im still pondering as to why he took the time to go to Nazir's watery grave. Why did he have to, did he want to? did he feel closer to him than what he publicly displayed?
Was it a sense of closure for him? If Carrie couldnt be there to make sure Nazir was dead and burried then Saul would make sure he really was dead and burried....many thoughts....no answers

parkerman
28-12-2012, 09:25
I just assumed that Saul had been assigned to go to his funeral. I have to say I didn't see anything "sinister" in it.

deadlydave
01-01-2013, 07:47
Maybe it was just closure for the whole Nazir process and thats why he went. But then who knows what Series 3 will bring...

Abigail
06-01-2013, 13:53
I think an even bigger question is who planted the bomb and tried to frame Brody? It had to be somebody with CIA clearance. Langley is one of the most secure places in the world, they wouldn't let anybody in.

It's pretty obvious to me that Estes is the mole but I'm still not convinced that Galvez has nothing to do with it. There's something about him that I just don't trust.

Perhaps Estes moved Brody's car; in order to make it look less suspicious to Carrie and Saul, Estes had to die in the explosion. Remember Estes wanted Brody dead and Quinn said no. What better way to ensure Brody dies in some way than to plant a bomb and kill dozens of intelligence officers? Also, that suicide video Brody made in the first season made it onto the news very quickly. Far too quickly for it to be an afterthought by Al Qa'eda. So whoever moved Brody's car is working with Nazir (or Nazir's people seeing as he's dead). Now Galvez would be my prime suspect; he blends into the background but is always there during important missions, he's always there when a mission has failed due to a leak.

Talking of Quinn, I'm not sure what his motives are. Is he working for Nazir? Is he working for a rival of Nazir's, or a private contractor? I don't think he's truly with the CIA, I think he's a double agent.

So my questions for discussion are:
1. Who did Brody give the suicide tape to after making it? How did it end up in Beirut and what was the Hezbollah commander doing with that tape? How did AQ get hold of it?

2. Why is Brody being set up, and by whom?

3. To what extent is the CIA compromised with rogue agents?

4. Was the bomb at the CIA a diversion? Was it planted to take out high ranking and experienced officers, so that another, bigger plot can pass under the radar?

5. Why didn't Quinn kill Brody when he had the chance? Why the change of mind, and why threaten Estes if he tries to put a kill on Brody? Is Quinn working for Nazir's group? If so, why didn't he reveal himself to Brody? He was so sure that he was going to kill Brody then he suddenly changes his mind. Why?

Abigail
06-01-2013, 13:53
I think an even bigger question is who planted the bomb and tried to frame Brody? It had to be somebody with CIA clearance. Langley is one of the most secure places in the world, they wouldn't let anybody in.

It's pretty obvious to me that Estes is the mole but I'm still not convinced that Galvez has nothing to do with it. There's something about him that I just don't trust.

Perhaps Estes moved Brody's car; in order to make it look less suspicious to Carrie and Saul, Estes had to die in the explosion. Remember Estes wanted Brody dead and Quinn said no. What better way to ensure Brody dies in some way than to plant a bomb and kill dozens of intelligence officers? Also, that suicide video Brody made in the first season made it onto the news very quickly. Far too quickly for it to be an afterthought by Al Qa'eda. So whoever moved Brody's car is working with Nazir (or Nazir's people seeing as he's dead). Now Galvez would be my prime suspect; he blends into the background but is always there during important missions, he's always there when a mission has failed due to a leak.

Talking of Quinn, I'm not sure what his motives are. Is he working for Nazir? Is he working for a rival of Nazir's, or a private contractor? I don't think he's truly with the CIA, I think he's a double agent.

1. Who did Brody give the suicide tape to after making it? How did it end up in Beirut and what was the Hezbollah commander doing with that tape? How did AQ get hold of it?

4. Was the bomb at the CIA a diversion? Was it planted to take out high ranking and experienced officers, so that another, bigger plot can pass under the radar?

5. Why didn't Quinn kill Brody when he had the chance? Why the change of mind, and why threaten Estes if he tries to put a kill on Brody? Is Quinn working for Nazir's group? If so, why didn't he reveal himself to Brody? He was so sure that he was going to kill Brody then he suddenly changes his mind. Why?

deadlydave
11-01-2013, 07:35

Some serious questions and thinking points there...

My opinion is that the suicide tape went to Nazir's people when it was made or at least a copy of it anyway.

As for who is setting up brody, there is alot of people who are in the frame for that. Could it of been Quinn setting him up for his own personal revenge and justice instead of being a puppet. Could it of been Saul setting him up? He has warned Carrie about getting so close, is she now collateral damage? After all the explosion now puts him as most senior rank in charge....

As to the rogue ageants within the CIA i think there could be a few of them, maybe 2 but they dont know who eachother are. I think Season 3 will find alot of people caught up as innoccent victims in the hunt for rogue ageants.

Quinns moment of clarity will arrive but my mind isnt fully made up on whaich team he is playing for wether he is rogue or not. i wait with anticipation....

Chloe O'brien
11-01-2013, 21:57
Personally I wouldn't trust anyone apart from Carrie. This show is made by the same disturbing looney's who made 24. That show was full of twisted characters that you didn't know who to trust.

lizann
11-01-2013, 22:12
Personally I wouldn't trust anyone apart from Carrie. This show is made by the same disturbing looney's who made 24. That show was full of twisted characters that you didn't know who to trust.

so carrie is the traitor :p

lizann
11-01-2013, 22:12

so carrie is the traitor :p

tammyy2j
20-03-2013, 14:38
Homeland star Damian Lewis reckons that his character Brody's relationship with Carrie (Claire Danes) will be "over" in season three of the drama.

Speaking as he received the Freedom of the City of London at the Guildhall, Lewis commented that the unlikely romance is not "a story that has got legs".

He also added that the volatile couple would make for a very unstable marriage. He said: "They'd be in the divorce courts very quickly."

Lewis also mentioned what can be expected from the upcoming third season, he said fans of the show should expect "ambiguity, death, sex, intrigue - you know, another day on Homeland".

deadlydave
27-03-2013, 12:04
Cannot wait for season 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abigail
29-03-2013, 04:57

Me neither!

I can't wait for the spoilers to come out about season 3. Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine about what may happen?

Abigail
29-03-2013, 04:57

Me neither!

I can't wait for the spoilers to come out about season 3. Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine about what may happen?

Perdita
29-03-2013, 06:23
Now that the opinions regarding the divisive conclusion to season 2 have begun to pour in, executive producers Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa have already begun discussing where the series may be headed in season 3, and posited some intriguing possibilities as to where the characters who were left standing might be headed come the fall of 2013.

The pair recently took part in a conference call, and according to TVLine, tackled not only inquiries regarding the season 3 storyline, but they also managed to cover some of the lingering questions left unanswered, or made unclear by the finale.

Since it’s likely you have already watched ‘The Choice,’ you know that an enormous explosion ripped through CIA headquarters, claiming the lives of David Estes (David Harewood), Finn Walden (Timothée Chalamet) and his mother Cynthia (Talia Balsam). Additionally, the domestic terrorist attack left Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) presumed dead, but on the run, and Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) seemingly returning to Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin) and the CIA, after aiding in Brody’s escape.

Naturally, with Brody on the run, and his marriage having ended (Brody even gave Mike (Diego Klattenhoff) the green light to take care of his wife and children), the question becomes: How integral will Brody be come season 3, and will the rest of the Brody clan make an appearance? According to Gansa, that’s a question the writers and producers are asking themselves at the moment.

Gansa stated:

“[Those] are all open questions for us right now. We had a much clearer picture of what the first two seasons would be than we do of what the third season would be…. Damian’s involvement and [the actors who fill out Brody's family] is very much up in the air.”

The thought of a season’s storyline not hinging on Nicholas Brody, and his connection to the Abu Nazir (Navid Negahban) terrorist network would undoubtedly take the series into new, possibly even more divisive territory. Some would see this as a positive; a sign the series has played out the Brody/Carrie dynamic as best it could, and is now ready to explore other storylines. Meanwhile, many others seem to feel the show was already on a downward slide when it lost Vice President Walden (Jamey Sheridan), and then Nazir, so less Brody may not necessarily be seen as a good thing for those fans.

Besides, how is Brody going to maintain a low profile with his face likely running in a near-endless loop on cable news channels, while unquestionably popping up in all other forms of global media as well?

Gansa says:

“The investigators are going to believe that Brody was actually in his car when it exploded. Plus, Brody does have a head start of a couple of days, and he is privy to Carrie’s best contacts. He has the benefit of that network.”

Still, there are some who feel it was Brody’s plan to blow up his car all along, using Carrie’s feelings for him as a ticket out of the United States. While Gansa admits people are welcome to believe that as a possible avenue for a future Brody storyline, Gordon is quick to warn that scenario is not really what the writers had in mind.

“If you look back on the season, your brain would start hurting to understand why he did certain things if he was partially responsible for what happened.”

At any rate, in a separate interview with Entertainment Weekly, Gansa stated that the writers are keen on approaching season 3 with less emphasis on another catastrophic terrorist strike that Carrie and Saul will try to prevent. If the inference in what he’s saying is correct, then the series could be looking at a storyline that is smaller and more intimate.

“We know roughly what season 3 is. There’s some big muscular moves that we know will happen but there’s a lot to be filled in still. I think all of us on the writing staff would rather not do an impending attack that Carrie stops for the third year in a row. Having said that, we haven’t found that narrative engine that’s going to take us through the third season so I have to reserve judgment. We’re looking for something that’s smaller, that is sort of a little more John LeCarré.”

When you take into consideration the fact that there is still a mole in the CIA, who, according to Gansa may “have been responsible for moving [Brody's] car to in front of the auditorium,” and the underlying history and possible lack of trust between Saul and the enigmatic Dar Adal (F. Murray Abraham), it doesn’t take much to see a little Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy-like inter-agency battle of wits taking place. As such, the assumption at the end of ‘The Choice’ was that Saul might be in line for a larger decision-making role in the CIA, which would conceivably put him in a position to better weed out said mole, and possibly do more good than his predecessor.

There are still several months between now and when production on season 3 would be scheduled to begin, so much of what Gansa and Gordon have discussed could be subject to change. Hopefully, though, some of the more intriguing aspects they’ve brought up will bear fruit, as they sound like an intriguing way to continue the Homeland story.

-

deadlydave
01-04-2013, 07:12
Hmmm why do i get the feeling that my hope for an awesome season 3 may not come to pass, i am hoping i am wrong!!

But from what i read above series 3 def has the potential to untie some knots, iron out some unanswered questions.
Raising on the point of Brody's family and what role they would take, i def think that there could be some distance in the family story especially involving Brody's daughter Morgan Saylor did an excellent job portraying Dana.

Hesitant but feeling good with anticipation about S3.

tammyy2j
15-04-2013, 15:26
David Marciano will not return as a series regular on Homeland, it has been revealed.

The 53-year-old plays surveillance expert Virgil in the Showtime drama, but will not return as a major player in season three, according to Deadline.

The report claims that he may yet return to the series in a guest starring capacity.

Marciano is currently developing a cable prison drama based on a real criminal enterprise that operates from jail.

He is working on the project with his writing partner Steven Pickman and producer Aaron Kaplan, but it is not being viewed as a starring vehicle for Marciano.

Earlier this year, it was announced that Diego Klattenhoff, who plays Nicholas Brody's long-time Marine friend and eventual love rival Mike Faber, would also not be returning to Homeland as a series regular.

However, it has been confirmed that Damian Lewis will return for the upcoming run as Brody, who was last seen crossing the US border into Canada.

Homeland is set to premiere its third season on Sunday, September 29 at 9pm on Showtime, and will air on Channel 4 in the UK.

tammyy2j
12-07-2013, 16:37

tammyy2j
12-07-2013, 16:37
Homeland has cast William Abadie in its upcoming third season.

The Gossip Girl actor will appear in multiple episodes of the Showtime drama's next run, according to Deadline.

Abadie will play an elusive but charming journalist named Alan Bernard. His past television work includes credits on Blue Bloods, 90210, Gossip Girl and Chuck.

Up in the Air actress Amy Morton, Boardwalk Empire's David Aaron Baker, Law and Order: SVU's Joanna Merlin and Prison Break's Tracy Letts are also among the new cast additions joining Homeland.

Exec producer Alex Gansa recently revealed that the new episodes will initially feature "perhaps not as much" of Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) as in previous seasons.

"He is the most wanted man on the planet," Gansa explained. "By definition, he's going to be hiding somewhere. And if he's hiding, that limits what he can do."

Perdita
30-07-2013, 13:39
The first teaser trailer for Homeland's third season has been released.

The 30-second clip, titled 'Signals', is the first preview ahead of the show's US return on September 29.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ArjvJeI8NgU

In the teaser, various phone conversations are overheard, featuring the voices of Saul (Mandy Patinkin) and Brody (Damian Lewis).

Show executive Alex Gansa has hinted that viewers may see less of Brody during the upcoming season, after the explosive events of the season two finale made him "the world's most wanted terrorist".

Lead actress Claire Danes recently confessed that she nearly quit acting before winning a role on the drama.

She told Vogue: "It was grim. I was very hurt. Two years of not working was brutal. And a point came where I thought, 'I really like interior design'. Someone suggested, 'Maybe your real success is in your personal life'."

The show has won a host of awards since its premiere in 2011, including an Emmy and two Golden Globes for Danes.

lizann
09-08-2013, 22:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOUIsu-E0Q&feature=player_embedded

yay quinn is back

lizann
09-08-2013, 22:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOUIsu-E0Q&feature=player_embedded

yay quinn is back

tammyy2j
23-09-2013, 16:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hbhBNJGC1A&feature=player_embedded

Channel 4 has debuted a new trailer for the upcoming season of Homeland.

The Showtime thriller's third season - starring Claire Danes and Damian Lewis - is billed as 'Coming Soon' in the new 60-second promo.

The trail is made up of a number of brief clips featuring Danes (Carrie), Mandy Patinkin (Saul) and a shaven-headed Lewis (Brody).

Fox 21's Bert Salke recently billed the new season as "Homeland 2.0" and claimed that viewers can expect a different, "more emotional" show.

Homeland will return to Showtime in the US on Sunday, September 29 and will get its UK premiere soon after.

tammyy2j
23-09-2013, 16:36

Perdita
20-07-2014, 17:06
The first teaser for season four of Homeland has premiered.

The show picks up its latest run by sending CIA case officer Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) to Pakistan and Afghanistan for a new assignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6vKiOM0Ws

Mathison uncovers a new terrorist plot and is determined to reveal the truth, but finds herself up against heavy opposition from the local forces.

The show's executive producer Alex Gansa recently described season four as a reboot following the departure of Damian Lewis.

Homeland's shift in direction also includes new cast members Corey Stoll, Suraj Sharma, Raza Jaffrey and Michael O'Keefe.

Homeland returns to Showtime on Sunday, October 5 at 9pm ET. Channel 4 airs the show in the UK.

parkerman
08-12-2014, 14:14
Is anyone here watching Homeland? Last night's episode was a real stunner with such a shock ending that I don't think anyone saw coming. The series is on absolute top form at the moment.

Dazzle
09-12-2014, 17:56
Is anyone here watching Homeland? Last night's episode was a real stunner with such a shock ending that I don't think anyone saw coming. The series is on absolute top form at the moment.

I'm not watching this series. I enjoyed the first one but didn't like the second, so I stopped watching after that.

I've been hearing very good things though so I'm tempted to watch again if channel 4 repeats it.

parkerman
09-12-2014, 18:17
If you enjoyed the first series, Dazzle, you'll love this new series. It started a bit slowly in episodes one and two but has picked up and is now on absolute top form. It is much better than series two & three and right back to its best. Claire Daines and Mandy Patinkin are outstanding. As I said above, the latest episode was an absolute stunner and its shock ending was just incredible and so incredibly well done. I can't rate it highly enough...as you can probably see.

Dazzle
09-12-2014, 19:07
That's quite a recommendation! You're making me desperate to see it now lol. :D

parkerman
17-12-2014, 14:25
Another really great episode this week. This series is by far the best. It's real nail biting stuff. If you get a chance to see it, I'd advise you all to do so....that means you, Dazzle! :)

Brucie
17-12-2014, 14:59
Best thing on telly, Parkerman - by a country mile!

Glen1
17-12-2014, 16:35
Heard about the series ,but unfortunately didn't follow it ,read your reviews ,ordered the 1-3 box set via Amazon ,very reasonably priced imo. So many 5 star ratings . Look forward to viewing, seems right up my street. Series 4 available soon on DVD.

Dazzle
17-12-2014, 18:00
Another really great episode this week. This series is by far the best. It's real nail biting stuff. If you get a chance to see it, I'd advise you all to do so....that means you, Dazzle! :)

I'm working on it... :ninja: :D

Glen1
26-12-2014, 11:39
Just finished the Homeland box set series 1-3. A lot of very late night viewing, totally absorbing, virtually impossible to stop watching the next and the next episodes. Very rare nowadays to see such sustained quality of acting and storyline imo. Deserved all the accolades it received. I'm hoping channel 4 will repeat series 4 , did they do this with the previous series ? Must avoid the final ep of series 4 on Sunday !

parkerman
26-12-2014, 13:46
If you liked the first three series, Glen, you'll love the fourth. It is the best so far.

Dazzle
26-12-2014, 15:38
I'm halfway through the fourth series now and thoroughly enjoying it, so thanks for the recommendation Parkerman.

You watched series 1-3 very quickly Glen! You must have been binge watching it! :D

Glen1
26-12-2014, 17:58
I'm halfway through the fourth series now and thoroughly enjoying it, so thanks for the recommendation Parkerman.

You watched series 1-3 very quickly Glen! You must have been binge watching it! :D
Hands up to that Dazzle, so engrossing and a natural inclination not to require much sleep ...:) Now need to decide whether to pick up series 4 at ep7 on More 4 TV and read the detailed accounts of ep's so far on wiki, or wait until Oct 2015 for the DVD. :hmm:

parkerman
26-12-2014, 19:31
No, Glen! Start at episode 1. No written resume could really convey properly what's happened and the shock value when you're watching it. Honestly, it will spoil it unless you see it from the beginning.

Glen1
26-12-2014, 21:04
No, Glen! Start at episode 1. No written resume could really convey properly what's happened and the shock value when you're watching it. Honestly, it will spoil it unless you see it from the beginning.
Many thanks Parkerman ,agree , lets say arrangements underway for a swift viewing resolution to the problem ..:)

parkerman
31-12-2014, 15:55
By the way, I don't want to put anyone off after all I've said about series 4, but I thought the last episode was very disappointing and a very poor finish to what had been a brilliant series.:(

Dazzle
31-12-2014, 16:20
By the way, I don't want to put anyone off after all I've said about series 4, but I thought the last episode was very disappointing and a very poor finish to what had been a brilliant series.:(

What a shame. :(

I'll be watching it tonight as it happens. I've watched 10 episodes so far. I have heard from other sources that the finale was disappointing though, so I was already forewarned.

Hopefully the ride will be entertaining, even if the destination's a bit blah.

parkerman
31-12-2014, 16:38
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the ending, Dazzle. Also what do you think of it so far?

Dazzle
31-12-2014, 16:45
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the ending, Dazzle. Also what do you think of it so far?

I've very much enjoyed the series so far. Lots of twists and turns and very few dull moments. I've preferred it without Brody too.

Glen1
31-12-2014, 16:46
All being well should be viewing series 4 shortly, so can't comment. Series 5 is being planned, so maybe the producers are trying to keep options open.

Dazzle
01-01-2015, 13:45
Well I've finished series 4 now. I'll put my comments in spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet (don't peek Glen!! :nono:):

That was a strange last episode! It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I thought they'd go all out to kill Haqqani, but he made a deal with the Americans and that's that it seems. :searchme:

The episode had a totally different vibe to the preceding ones. It felt more like the first episode of a new series rather than a finale (which should be exciting in my opinion). Didn't they have enough material to fill twelve episodes lol? :D

I find it difficult to believe that Saul's that cynical, especially after he wanted to kill himself rather than go through the prisoner exchange. I'm hoping that he accepted the Haqqani deal to get the video and his job back and that he'll go after the terrorist again next series.

I'm glad I watched the series though and I'll definitely be back for more next time. What did you make of it Parkerman?

parkerman
01-01-2015, 14:58
Well I've finished series 4 now. I'll put my comments in spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet (don't peek Glen!! :nono:):

That was a strange last episode! It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I thought they'd go all out to kill Haqqani, but he made a deal with the Americans and that's that it seems. :searchme:

The episode had a totally different vibe to the preceding ones. It felt more like the first episode of a new series rather than a finale (which should be exciting in my opinion). Didn't they have enough material to fill twelve episodes lol? :D

I find it difficult to believe that Saul's that cynical, especially after he wanted to kill himself rather than go through the prisoner exchange. I'm hoping that he accepted the Haqqani deal to get the video and his job back and that he'll go after the terrorist again next series.

I'm glad I watched the series though and I'll definitely be back for more next time. What did you make of it Parkerman?

I thought much the same as you, Dazzle.They seemed to be more interested in setting up a 5th series than in winding up the 4th series properly. A little action wouldn't have come amiss after everything that had gone on before. There were no shocks or surprises other than there were no shocks or surprises! It was a very tame ending.There seemed to be more investment in character development, which, again, is strange for the last episode of a series. I agree about Saul. It seemed completely out of character. Oh well, let's see what series five brings...

That's what I think! :)

Dazzle
01-01-2015, 15:09
I love this sentence you wrote: "There were no shocks or surprises other than there were no shocks or surprises!" Very, very true! :D

I kept expecting something big to happen and it was pretty disappointing that it never did. I'm all for character development, in fact I dislike shallow drama, but that episode just wasn't series finale material. We're supposed to be left panting for more! :D

Glen1
05-01-2015, 16:19
Finished viewing series 4, wow ...:clap: Just read yours Dazzle and Parkerman's hidden spoilers for ep.12. It does look like a lead into series 5. Apparently the relationship of Carrie and her mother to be taken further next time. Hope the writers don't spend too much time on it. Need to see Carrie operational. I think the Haqqani, Adal, Saul and Quinn plot will continue ,can't see the plot left up in the air, hope not...:)

Dazzle
05-01-2015, 16:28
Finished viewing series 4, wow ...:clap: Just read yours Dazzle and Parkerman's hidden spoilers for ep.12. It does look like a lead into series 5. Apparently the relationship of Carrie and her mother to be taken further next time. Hope the writers don't spend too much time on it. Need to see Carrie operational. I think the Haqqani, Adal, Saul and Quinn plot will continue ,can't see the plot left up in the air, hope not...:)

That was fast!! :D

Yes, I hope the Haqqani plot will continue too. How did you think the latest series compared to the first three? Did you enjoy it as much?

Glen1
05-01-2015, 16:43
That was fast!! :D

Yes, I hope the Haqqani plot will continue too. How did you think the latest series compared to the first three? Did you enjoy it as much?
I think the best yet, quite a few surprises. Would have liked to see a better conclusion , but if the plot continues it should be worth waiting for. Certainly watching it, was a good relief to the new medical condition Lucybealeitis. ( Love it really) ...:)

Dazzle
03-06-2015, 00:30
Some news about Homeland's fifth series for us fans:

http://images.radiotimes.com/namedimage/Homeland_series_5__Carrie_will_no_longer_be_a_CIA_ officer_as_drama_jumps_forward_in_time.jpg?quality =85&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/71620.jpg

When Homeland returns to our TV screens for its fifth season, it's set to look a little different.

For starters, the political thriller is jumping forward in time by two-and-a-half years. And it will be set during a moment when - brace yourselves, Homeland fans - Carrie Mathison isn't working for the CIA.

\"Carrie will no longer be an intelligence officer,\" executive producer Alex Gansa said, reports Variety.

Speaking at PaleyFest this weekend Gansa also revealed that the show's fifth season would be filmed in Germany, perhaps hinting at a new European job role for the troubled agent.

The show's executive producer called the news that Carrie won't be working for the CIA a \"tiny teaser\", going on to joke that series five will see her \"making beer.\"

Homeland series four, which saw the show reboot after the death of Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), was set in Islamabad. The finale was relatively low key for the fast-paced show, with Carrie and co pulling out of Pakistan and returning to the US.

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-08/homeland-series-5-carrie-will-no-longer-be-a-cia-officer-as-drama-jumps-forward-in-time

Also:

Former CIA officer Carrie Mathieson has a new city, new boss and even a new love interest in season five of Homeland, and now we know who she has fallen for.

German actor Alexander Fehling plays Jonas Happich, a lawyer dating the troubled CIA agent (Claire Danes) during her self-imposed exile in Berlin. Fehling is best known in the UK for his role in Quentin Tarantino's alternate history film Inglorious Basterds.

http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/Original/78123.jpg

Working for a private security firm two years after her tenure as Islamabad station chief came to a dramatic end, Carrie Mathieson is no longer answering to Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin) or the CIA. Instead, her new boss is Otto During, a German philanthropist played by Sebastian Koch, who starred in Oscar-winning German film The Lives of Others.

http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/78124.jpg

Also joining the cast for season five is Lord of The Rings actress Miranda Otto, who plays the CIA's current Berlin Chief of Station, working directly under Carrie's mentor Saul. Sarah Sokolovic appears as Laura Sutton, an American journalist working in the German capital.

US network Showtime also confirmed the return of British actor Rupert Friend as CIA agent Peter Quinn who was last seen embarking on a dangerous mission after his budding romance with Carrie faltered.

The new series is about to begin filming in Berlin, and will be the first US show to be made entirely in Germany.

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-02/meet-carries-new-boss-and-boyfriend-in-homeland

Sounds like it could be very interesting and I'm already wondering if Carrie's still secretly working for the CIA in some capacity. I'm glad Peter Quinn's back but will we see Saul again? I hope so. :)

Glen1
03-06-2015, 16:26
That's good news Dazzle, something to look forward to in October I guess. Doesn't seem time will be wasted on Carrie's relationship with her mother ,hope not. Agree with your other comments ,if so should be a cracking series.:cheer:

Dazzle
23-06-2015, 17:03
Good news fellow Homeland fans! Saul's definitely back for the next series. http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/dancing/smileys-dancing-176278.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

http://images.radiotimes.com/namedimage/_Berlin_is_a_character_in_itself__in_Homeland_seas on_five__says_Saul_Berenson_actor_Mandy_Patinkin.j pg?quality=85&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/79646.jpg

CIA thriller Homeland shows no signs of slowing down. The drama, starring Claire Danes, Rupert Friend and Mandy Patinkin, is currently filming its fifth season, which will see another change of scenery for the drama.

The series has jumped forward two years - and relocated to the capital of Germany.

“[Berlin] is a character in the season itself,” Patinkin tells us. “It was the epicentre of one of the most horrible events in human recorded history. The consequences of those events never go away. They hang in the air everywhere; you can never wipe away or erase; you can never forget them; they never should be forgot. And that is a clear cut metaphor for what our hero Carrie Mathison is experiencing and what Saul Bereson is experiencing - and what everyone experiences.”

The show will have a different feel when it returns, says the 62-year-old actor, much like it did during its last run, when the drama moved to Islamabad in the wake of Brody’s [Damien Lewis] demise.

“The literal light is different so you see it visually as well. The place is different and the people are different. It’s in every shot, it’s in the way the sets appear, it’s part of its fabric. You will feel it.”

For Patinkin, who plays former CIA head Saul Berenson, it’s a big shift, after a tough fourth season which saw Saul being kidnapped, held captive and then traded for “the freedom of some individuals who were going to create more harm.”

“I had no trouble imagining making a mistake – I make mistakes all the time in my own life – and then you end up in a place you didn’t expect to be and then you have to pay a price for it,” Patinkin says.

He wishes his character’s journey in season four was “a harder thing to imagine.”

“I think about those things all the time. We are drowning in it, everywhere we look… The world is bleeding.”

Season five will see Saul as a changed man. “I don’t know what the words are, whether it’s existing or recovering. That experience is part of him for the rest of his life.”

This permanency, Patinkin says, is something he has begun to understand during his time on the show: “He and I have learned that anything that’s broken or gone wrong, in this world or in our lives, can’t be fixed. You can’t fix it and make it go away. You can’t wave a magic wand. It’s broken, it’s there, it’s hurt forever. But what you can do is move forward from this moment and try to make the world a better place.”

Ultimately that's what Homeland is about: “It asks us to listen to what’s not being heard on either side, to acknowledge and recognise the terrible, terrible mistakes that both sides make and to see the reasons that those mistakes might be made.”

“The answer to the problems are not violence, war, bombs, terrorism, cutting off people’s heads, drones,” says Patinkin, “the answer is negotiation, the answer is finding what we all have in common.”

“Every breath Saul Berenson takes is filled with hope and optimism. And that is what guides his soul - and keeps him searching for a more peaceful world\", says Patinkin.

It’s clearly an important cause which is close to the actor's own heart. Five years ago when he was first handed a script, he says he knew who Saul was “instantly” and sees countless parallels between himself and the character.

“It’s a little tricky sometimes to know who’s who - whether I’m him or he’s me,” says Patinkin.

It sounds like Mandy Patinkin identifies just a little too much with Saul. :D

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-22/berlin-is-a-character-in-itself-in-homeland-season-five-says-saul-berenson-actor-mandy-patinkin

Dazzle
15-07-2015, 23:45
Carrie and Saul clash in first Homeland season five trailer

With blows to the head, kidnappings, shots and explosions, the first teaser trailer for Homeland's fifth season contains a lot of the stuff we've come to expect from the high-octane political thriller. But not everything is as it was.

Carrie Mathison has packed in the CIA – and packed up her old life – to move to the German capital of Berlin.

The 30-second clip catches up with her two years after her "ill-fated tenure as Islamabad station chief", seeing the troubled former agent working in Europe "as the head of security for a German philanthropist."

She seems at peace with her new life away from the CIA, but former mentor Saul Berenson clearly doesn't agree with Carrie's decision...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtF2gRfgVmc&feature=youtu.be

"You've turned your back on your entire life," Saul says. "What are you atoning for? Keeping America safe? You're being naive and stupid, something you never were before."

"I'm not atoning. I'm just trying to do good work," responds Carrie.

But, as ever in Homeland, there's more to it than that, with the teaser's caption reading that the new mum is "struggling to reconcile her guilt and disillusionment with years of working on the front lines in the 'war on terror.'"

Homeland season five returns later this year

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-10/carrie-and-saul-clash-in-first-homeland-season-five-trailer

Glen1
02-10-2015, 17:19
New series of Homeland returns Sunday 11th.October at 9pm on channel 4. Really looking forward to the start, hope it maintains previous standards....:thumbsup:

Dazzle
02-10-2015, 17:21
New series of Homeland returns Sunday 11th.October at 9pm on channel 4. Really looking forward to the start, hope it maintains previous standards....:thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm also looking forward to it. :)

Dazzle
06-10-2015, 20:14
Homeland creator Alex Gansa: we 'couldn't ignore' Isis
The US drama's executive producer on Carrie's relocation to Berlin and how Islamic State 'crept back into the story in a major way'

Homeland has hit the reboot button once again for series five – this time relocating to Berlin where we find Claire Danes's Carrie Mathison working in private security for a German philanthropist. The decision to place Europe at the epicentre of the show came after the Homeland team's annual research visit to Washington DC where they meet to hash out each upcoming season.

'If you'll recall what was happening at the start of the year, the whole Edward Snowden thing was really snowballing, the rise of Isis was happening, then there were the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris,' explains executive producer Alex Gansa. 'It all felt that now that part of Europe was the centre of the world.'

Hence the decision to put Carrie in Berlin – 'the great spy town' – with 'Russia banging next door.'

The relationship between the West and East and 'concern about Putin rattling the sabre' plays a major part in the next season, according to Gansa, who reveals the team initially considered restricting the story to Russian and American intelligence operating in Berlin. But how would Homeland treat Islamic State?

'It has been difficult even to do the research required to portray that jihadist movement and dramatise it,' explains Gansa. 'Should we even acknowledge their existence, make them part of the story, and humanise them at some level?'

After those initial discussions about an American-Russian narrative arc, the team decided the threat of Isis is 'just so part of the landscape right now that it felt like we were wilfully ignoring something that couldn't be ignored. So it has crept back into the story in a major way.'

Quite how that threat will materialise remains to be seen as episode one finds Carrie in the German capital following a two-year time jump – although its not long before a request from her billionaire boss forces her back towards Saul, Quinn and the world she left behind.

Homeland series five starts this Sunday at 9pm on Channel 4

Taken from: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-05/homeland-creator-alex-gansa-we-couldnt-ignore-isis

Dazzle
13-10-2015, 23:58
Did anyone watch? I enjoyed it and think the season is off to an exciting start. I'm impressed at how topical the story is too.

I had to laugh when Carrie was kidnapped! It's business as usual! :D

parkerman
14-10-2015, 10:08
Yes, I saw it. A good start, I agree. Certainly better than the last episode of the last series!

I have seen some criticism of this new series that it is just going to be American propaganda aimed at getting the US more involved in the war in Syria. I hope that's not true. We'll have to wait and see....

parkerman
14-10-2015, 10:08
Forgot to Go Advanced....

Glen1
14-10-2015, 14:59
Yes, I saw it. A good start, I agree. Certainly better than the last episode of the last series!

I have seen some criticism of this new series that it is just going to be American propaganda aimed at getting the US more involved in the war in Syria. I hope that's not true. We'll have to wait and see....
Agree with both your comments Parkerman and Dazzle's. Totally absorbing start. Interesting comment Parkerman re. American propaganda for U.S. involvement in Syria, because apparently as the series was being prepared, programme researchers spent 4 weeks in Washington DC being briefed on the U.S governments take on forthcoming developments in Syria. Also hope it's not used as a propaganda ploy.

parkerman
06-12-2015, 22:15
Well, pretty exciting gripping stuff tonight. Poor old Quinn, he does suffer!

Glen1
07-12-2015, 00:05
Could easily have watched another hour ,cracking episode. As you say Quinn always on the receiving end for the nasties .:(

Dazzle
08-12-2015, 20:14
Well, pretty exciting gripping stuff tonight. Poor old Quinn, he does suffer!

Yep, Quinn's been through more than his fair share of suffering... :(

I can't wait for the final few episodes!

Glen1
28-12-2015, 02:20
Just finished watching final episode of series 5, will not say too much at the moment re spoilers, but my initial reaction disappointing.

Dazzle
28-12-2015, 03:15
Just finished watching final episode of series 5, will not say too much at the moment re spoilers, but my initial reaction disappointing.

I mostly agree.

The sarin storyline ended early on in the episode, and the Alison storyline ended abruptly without a final confrontation (and therefore felt unsatisfying). I feel we needed to see her finally admit her guilt to Saul before she died.

I love the character of Quinn but I'm not particularly worried Carrie's going to kill him or she would have done it already. Also, the writers would be mad to kill off the character who, in my opinion, has become the most compelling of the three. However, it is possible Rupert Friend wanted to leave the show, so I'm not taking it for granted Quinn will return.

I enjoyed the season as a whole though (despite some jarring plot holes), and looked forward to it every week. It was a good idea to take it in a new direction and setting, however I think it suffered from keeping the power team of Carrie, Saul and Quinn apart most of the time.

I'll definitely be tuning in for the next season.

parkerman
28-12-2015, 10:01
I thought it was a much better ending than last year, though I do share Dazzle's criticisms. When can we start saying more about it and not have to worry about people who haven't seen it yet!?

Glen1
28-12-2015, 11:29
I was more concerned that you or Dazzle hadn't seen it as yet, but no longer an issue. I too agree with Dazzle's comments and have looked forward to every episode and hopefully series 6. I think there were a few 50% episodes which were being panned out to fill time , and then trying to cram so much into ep12, which resulted in the main storylines skated over.The sarin storyline could have concluded in ep11, then more time spent on tracking down Alison and as you say Dazzle being interrogated by Saul. She was central to the series, so I think viewers deserved more . From what I've read there are doubts about the return of Quinn and Carrie for series 6. But this might be more about contract negotiation . Either way would love to see Saul ,Carrie and Quinn working as a team next time. Roll on October 2016 ..:thumbsup:

parkerman
28-12-2015, 13:34
Yes, I agree with both of you. The series as a whole certainly had its moments and, though the final episode was better than last year's weak ending, it was still a bit of a let down. The biggest flaw in the last episode was the way Alison was dealt with. She should have been held responsible for her part in trying to gas half of Berlin. Also, like you both, I hope Quinn and Carrie are back. Quinn I could just about do without but I would find it difficult to watch without Carrie. She has been the centre and lynch pin of the whole series and besides, Claire Daines is such a brilliant actor. It would be really hard to follow her with someone else.

Dazzle
28-12-2015, 14:17
I really can't see Homeland continuing without Carrie, especially given Claire Danes is an executive producer. I too have read there's some doubt about Rupert Friend wanting to return since I wrote my post last night. I'll be disappointed if Quinn dies (although not enough to stop watching), but he'd be highly unlikely to make a full recovery after everything he's been through this season.

I'm glad you both agree Alison being killed off so abruptly was a strange decision. I'm extremely sceptical that Saul would order the team to open fire on the car and kill all its occupants - except as a last resort.

tammyy2j
13-01-2016, 15:14
Homeland will use New York as next season's setting, according to reports from TCA. Showtime execs made the announcement Tuesday without revealing much in the way of story lines, but definitely gushing about how "exciting [it is] to see how [the writers] bring it back to the U.S. and reinvent it again," and also noting that the series' end is not imminent. The closest thing to a teaser came in the form of a cryptic update on Quinn, who was not having a good time at the end of last season. "Quinn is very damaged, no question about that," the network's president of programming, Gary Levine, said, according to Deadline. "If he should live, he won’t be in the shape and form he was." Other quotes ("Homeland is a show that killed a lead," thank you very much) seemed to indicate that a living Quinn was not necessarily an idea set in stone, so the only things for sure are the new primary location and these.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/homeland-season-six-new-york.html

Dazzle
31-05-2016, 14:37
Rupert Friend Returning for Season 6

With Quinn's fate left up in the air at the end of last season, Friend and showrunner Alex Gansa confirmed at a panel on Wednesday (via a report from Entertainment Weekly) that the character will be back -- although he may not be the same Quinn we know and love.

"I hope he enjoys eating through a tube," Friend quipped.

Added Gansa: "How Peter Quinn's character is gonna be dramatized this year is going to surprise people, and it may not be what you think." (Ghost Quinn? Please no. Carrie's had enough zombie boyfriends.)

The love letter Quinn sent Carrie at the end of Season 5 will be addressed, Gansa promises. "Quinn really put his life in her hands at the end of last season and we will see what decision she made, but that's going to have repercussions moving forward for her and for that idea of Quinn as well," he says.

And Quinn won't be the only character who's returning somewhat unexpectedly. More characters from Carrie's past will be back, and may or may not include Brody's wife Jessica (Gotham's Morena Baccarin) and -- shudder -- daughter Dana (Morgan Saylor).

"There will definitely be some cameos from characters from past seasons. Whether they are the Brody family I'm not going to say, but we are back in the United States," Gansa teases. "It's going to be Carrie's first time back in the country for a long period of time in years and she's going to have old acquaintances to reconnect with and establish a new life for herself, so we're going to see some familiar faces."

Homeland is expected to return to Showtime in the fall.

http://www.tv.com/news/ltemgthomelandltemgt-rupert-friend-isnt-the-only-actor-returning-for-season-6-9312223694908124748/

Dazzle
31-05-2016, 14:39
Homeland Will Incorporate the Presidential Election in Season 6

Season 6 of Homeland will incorporate the 2016 presidential election—but not in the way you might imagine. Showrunner Alex Gansa told Entertainment Weekly that the new season of Showtime's hit drama will focus on the lame-duck presidency in the aftermath of the election.

"The whole season takes place between Election Day in November and the inauguration of a new president in January, during this strange and interregnum where a very fragile transfer of power takes place between the outgoing president and the incoming president-elect," Gansa says. "There is this strange period in America where there are 72 days when it's not exactly clear who's in charge, and there is a new president that needs to be educated on what it means to be president. ... It's a dangerous time in our democracy."

As previously reported, Season 6 will be set in New York.

Homeland is expected to return in the fall on Showtime.

http://www.tv.com/shows/homeland-2011/community/post/homeland-season-6-spoilers-presidential-election-6125278140273029731/

parkerman
31-05-2016, 14:47
Homeland Will Incorporate the Presidential Election in Season 6

and there is a new president that needs to be educated on what it means to be president. ... It's a dangerous time in our democracy."

You can say that again if you-know-who gets elected!

Glen1
13-06-2016, 22:11
Seems Homeland season 6 will premiere January 2017. Filming will start later this year. Wonder if this delay in screening is being influenced by the actual US election calendar ?

lizann
14-08-2016, 23:33
renewed for 7th and 8th seasons

tammyy2j
11-01-2017, 23:20
Channel 4 have announced the uk premiere date for Homeland Season 6, and it'll be just a few days after the US, on the 22nd January at 9pm

lizann
12-01-2017, 00:40

say it again

lizann
12-01-2017, 00:40

say it again

parkerman
28-01-2017, 22:48
I see from the first episode of the new series they were reckoning on Hillary Clinton getting elected!

Glen1
29-01-2017, 13:43
I see from the first episode of the new series they were reckoning on Hillary Clinton getting elected!
Would have been a very safe bet right up to polling day. Looks as though the series storyline theme is starting to develop judging by the first episode conclusion. Can't weigh up Otto During's motives? Whether the hospital Quinn was a patient is all it appears? Quinn's actual level of awareness ,more than is thought ? Good to see the series return.:)

Glen1
12-02-2017, 22:27
What is the problem with the programme schedulers ? NO Homeland ep. next week. just to enable some film to be shown ?
No reason given, totally bloody ridiculous and annoying . Finally to cap it all having to wait two weeks particularly after that ending from tonights episode. :angry::angry:

Dazzle
13-02-2017, 01:27
What is the problem with the programme schedulers ? NO Homeland ep. next week. just to enable some film to be shown ?
No reason given, totally bloody ridiculous and annoying . Finally to cap it all having to wait two weeks particularly after that ending from tonights episode. :angry::angry:

I take it you're hooked Glen. :D I've just watched the first two episodes of the new series and thoroughly enjoyed them so I can't wait to see more.

I think you can blame last Sunday's Super Bowl in the US for the break in the schedule.

Glen1
13-02-2017, 16:09
I take it you're hooked Glen. :D I've just watched the first two episodes of the new series and thoroughly enjoyed them so I can't wait to see more.

I think you can blame last Sunday's Super Bowl in the US for the break in the schedule.
Line and sinker, thanks to you Dazzle, parkerman and Brucie for speaking so highly of the series at the time. Well recall the binge viewing sessions till 3am to catch up. Must have been three years ago. From what you have said I suppose there must be a contractual agreement with the U.S. about U.K. televising episodes on or after the U.S.broadcast.

parkerman
26-02-2017, 22:05
Wow! Well that was worth waiting two weeks for!

Glen1
27-02-2017, 12:53
Wow! Well that was worth waiting two weeks for!
Brilliant episode ,so much happening, impossible to try and second guess what's next.:cheer:

parkerman
20-04-2017, 10:46
It's over! I think up until about half way through the last episode it was the best yet. Great action and tension throughout. I'm not sure about the ending though......

Glen1
20-04-2017, 13:38
Totally agree parkerman,thoroughly absorbing series. From about ep3 new twists every week. Poor old Quinn had his usual series beating and then gets fatally shot , inevitable I guess. I expected Keane to be assassinated but maybe a bit obvious. Wondering now how much the end game had been part of her plan for some time, certainly sucked Carrie into her scheme. Dar very suspicious of her end agenda for a while . Another episode would have been nice to tie up a few loose ends.
Next two series have been confirmed ,series seven confirmed for Jan 2018. Also stated that series eight will be a continuation of seven. Odds on we shall see Keane and co. again. Must make sure we stay fit and healthy until at least April 2019. :)

parkerman
20-04-2017, 18:40
I also couldn't understand why she didn't have Carrie arrested. Being so ruthless and all. She must know that Carrie is likely to be a big thorn in her side.

Glen1
20-04-2017, 21:40
I also couldn't understand why she didn't have Carrie arrested. Being so ruthless and all. She must know that Carrie is likely to be a big thorn in her side.
Mystery, the writers will have plenty of material for the next series for sure.

Glen1
19-02-2018, 15:11
Good to see the new series starting, hope it lives up to expectations. Already miss Quinn. Was about to post that it must be the first time someone hasn't been killed in the first episode of a series, and then , oh !!