PDA

View Full Version : EastEnders and Casualty off BBC1 in 15 hours of Olympic Games a day

Perdita
12-02-2012, 06:24
The BBC is to scrap nearly all routine programming on BBC1 so that it can show wall-to-wall coverage of the Olympic Games.
To the annoyance of many viewers, flagship programmes such as The One Show and Casualty will be dropped from the schedules altogether while other shows, including EastEnders, Panorama, Songs Of Praise and Holby, will be shunted to BBC2.
The overhaul means millions of viewers who are not interested in sport this summer could be left scrambling around to find their favourite programmes.

Although BBC Breakfast will remain on air, it will be Olympic-themed and the BBC Trust has warned Ofcom that its news bulletins could be reduced if the sporting action over-runs.
As part of its most extensive Olympic coverage ever, the BBC will broadcast 2,500 hours of live sporting action – the equivalent of 104 days – on TV and the internet.
That is double the amount shown from the Beijing Games in 2008.

The 17-day sporting clash will dominate BBC1 with up to 15 hours of live action a day.
BBC2 faces the prospect of having to ‘rest’ some of its own shows to accommodate programmes from BBC1.
The BBC rush’s to embrace the event, which kicks off on July 27, has infuriated some. One irate viewer posted this complaint online: ‘What about all us who have no interest in the Olympics and wish to watch the regular programmes rather than this rubbish?’
A BBC spokesman said: ‘The Games will bring the UK together and we’re proud to bring coverage of every event to BBC viewers.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099972/EastEnders-Casualty-BBC1-15-hours-Olympic-Games-day.html#ixzz1m9724BoZ

Olympics will no doubt also affect ITV transmissions :(

alan45
12-02-2012, 08:37
Already posted yesterday http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?100316-London-Olympics-2012&p=767521#post767521

Perdita
12-02-2012, 09:51
Already posted yesterday http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?100316-London-Olympics-2012&p=767521#post767521

People not interested in the Olympics would not read it, better to post it in a more appropriate thread

Abigail
12-02-2012, 17:32
I'm fed up of hearing about how we all have to make adjustments in our lives to accommodate a £10bn three week event in a time of austerity. We have to change our commuting pattern to avoid overloading the transport system, work from home for those in central London and give priority to ticket holders. Let's be honest, the only people that are going to see a return on the investment are developers, football clubs who are getting the stadia and huge multinational corporations sponsoring the event. Very little of the money will be going back into local communities to increase prosperity and help low income families through organisations such as Sure Start.

flappinfanny
12-02-2012, 18:59
its only for a fortnight and if aunty is putting ee on 2 then you only have to buy radio times and use your remote. when will we host a sporting event like this again? and aunty is the nations broadcaster and you will still have saturation of soaps on itv, with ed being on 72 times a wk. (not that i mind cause i cant get enough.)

Abigail
12-02-2012, 19:54
its only for a fortnight and if aunty is putting ee on 2 then you only have to buy radio times and use your remote. when will we host a sporting event like this again? and aunty is the nations broadcaster and you will still have saturation of soaps on itv, with ed being on 72 times a wk. (not that i mind cause i cant get enough.)

I'm not remotely bothered about the TV schedule changing as I don't watch soaps. I'm bothered about the wider political ramifications. The vast amount of money being poured into secret police, the way the government handed over another £1bn a month ago without batting an eyelid when teachers are having their pensions smashed and disabled people are being told they have to work. Joe Public will not see any of the revenue generated from tourism; the money spent in London will stay in London and the money from sponsors will go into Fat Cats' coffers. This event will not benefit the country and we will be paying the debt off for years to come, just like Canada is still doing. That is my issue with the Olympics.

flappinfanny
12-02-2012, 23:43
I'm not remotely bothered about the TV schedule changing as I don't watch soaps. I'm bothered about the wider political ramifications. The vast amount of money being poured into secret police, the way the government handed over another £1bn a month ago without batting an eyelid when teachers are having their pensions smashed and disabled people are being told they have to work. Joe Public will not see any of the revenue generated from tourism; the money spent in London will stay in London and the money from sponsors will go into Fat Cats' coffers. This event will not benefit the country and we will be paying the debt off for years to come, just like Canada is still doing. That is my issue with the Olympics.

i agree with a large proportion of what you have said and i believe london and the uk would have been better if we had not won the bid for the olympics and it had gone to paris. but we did win it and it is coming to london in july and that is that. yes the fat cats will get fatter and need a gastric band, but back in july 2005 the country was not on its last legs and debt ridden. i do not entirely agree that the country will not benefit as the olympics are being held in a rundown part of the east end that should benefit from regeneration, but yes we will be paying for this long after the event. but that isnt the only thing we will be paying for is it! and we will be showing london off to the world, providing we dont have a repeat of the events of last year.