PDA

View Full Version : The Kapoor family

Perdita
07-12-2011, 15:06
Neighbours bosses have announced that the Kapoor family are being added to the soap's regular cast.

Local councillor Ajay Kapoor (Sachin Joab) has been appearing as a guest on the show since the summer, while his wife Priya (Menik Gooneratne) has also featured on screen.

The couple will become regular fixtures in early 2012 along with their teenage daughter Rani, who will be played by newcomer Coco-Jacinta Cherian.

Neighbours' executive producer Susan Bower commented: "I'm delighted by how the Kapoors have been introduced. Viewers already know them because of their role in the community and link with other characters, and their cultural background is secondary.

"We have had many individual characters who have been representative of Australia's diverse cultural landscape, however to have a family of Indian and Sri Lankan heritage join the neighbourhood is very exciting."

Neighbours' Australian fans have already seen Priya appointed as the acting principal of Erinsborough High. UK viewers will see her in action at the school in upcoming episodes.

Bower first revealed plans to introduce a new family to Neighbours in an interview with Digital Spy earlier this year.

Speaking in the summer, Bower explained: "A new family will join the show but not for a while. We need to let our stories be told in a natural way.

"It has been shown in the past if a moving van pulls up in Ramsay Street and a new family comes in, it is a trigger for the audience not to like them so we are introducing a family in very small doses. We will meet one, then another so the characters are accepted."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

Perdita
07-12-2011, 16:27
The Kapoor family :)

alan45
09-12-2011, 01:41
Sachin Joab has responded to racist comments from people who have criticised his casting in Neighbours.

The actor plays the role of Ajay Kapoor, part of a new Indian family for Erinsborough. The family will become regular cast members in the New Year.

Joab has hit out at a minority of Neighbours fans who have said it is "un-Australian" to cast the new family.

Neighbours staff have since deleted several racist posts from their website, and have said "that racism and small-mindedness won't be tolerated".

The Australian-born actor told the Herald Sun: "There is various pockets that will say it is un-Australian to have an Indian or an Indian family on Ramsay St.

"Those Aussies who are saying it is un-Australian will be the same ones who pretty much supported the White Australia policy back in the day, you are never going to get away from that kind of stuff."

Joab added that he still occasionally faces racism in his life, saying: "I faced [racism] myself, from the early years in primary school all the way up to recent times.

"Sometimes it's just blatant. I think having a show that shows different families coming together can only be good for the community."

The soap's executive producer Susan Bower said that the casting of an Indian family was to help represent a "more modern society".

She said: "The ABC and SBS have always done it [cast multi-cultural Australians], and it was only 20 years ago you put Greeks and Italians on TV and people would question it.

"We have been criticised heavily for being too white and you are damned if you do and if you don't, and we would much rather be criticised for moving [in this direction]."

Sachin Joab's Ajay will be joined by wife Priya (Menik Gooneratne) and daughter Rani (Coco-Jacinta Cherian).

Dazzle
09-12-2011, 08:45
Sachin Joab has responded to racist comments from people who have criticised his casting in Neighbours.

I'm very disappointed to hear about racism from Australian Neighbours fans regarding the new Kapoor family. :thumbsdow

Perdita
12-12-2011, 11:11
Neighbours executive producer Susan Bower has lamented the racist abuse directed at the soap's new Indian family.

A vocal minority of fans expressed outrage at the announcement last week that the Kapoor family will become regular fixtures in Erinsborough in the New Year, claiming that their casting is "un-Australian".

Bower responded by taking out a column in the country's Herald Sun newspaper saying that although she "expected" the backlash, she was disappointed with the extent of negative feeling towards the Kapoors and believed that actors Sachin Joab, Menik Gooneratne and Coco-Jacinta Cherian had received "a rather sad introduction" to the show.

"I should say that for every negative comment about the Kapoor family there were 10 or 15 positive ones," she said. "These racists are certainly a vocal minority but Twitter and Facebook have made it easier for them to have their say and be heard.

"I believe Australia is mostly a very welcoming place. We are a multicultural society. When we cast characters it is because we believe they are the best person for the job, not because of the colour of their skin."

Bower went on to speculate that the controversy had been caused by fears that the Kapoor family would change the very fabric of Neighbours and noted that there was a similar reaction to the introduction of the soap's first gay character Chris Pappas (James Mason).

"Ramsay St has been a very white place for a long time, mostly because the new characters were usually a relative of someone already on the show. But that is not a true representation of Australian culture anymore," she said.

"When I started on Neighbours I made it a priority to see more of that cultural diversity on the show so that it better reflected modern Australian society. So I'm proud to say we have had an Asian character."

Bower added that she also wants to introduce a Lebanese family to the show, though plans had been put on hold following the Kapoor row.

"I still think that will happen. But it may be a few years away yet," she said.

"Times are changing. Neighbours is changing too. It is part of the fabric of Australia and I have no doubt the show will be around on our screens for at least another 26 years.

"I hate racism. I don't understand it. I am proud to live in a country that those people can freely say what they believe - even though I strongly disagree with those opinions."

Sachin Joab has also responded to the row, saying that he is "never going to get away from" racially-motivated criticism of his career.

Perdita
29-05-2012, 17:02
Neighbours bosses have today (May 29) confirmed that the Kapoor family are moving into Ramsay Street.

Show chiefs released a sneak peek of the trio in their new home of Number 24 ahead of their on-screen move later this year.

A Neighbours statement teased that "how, when and why they come to be the proud new owners will all be revealed in upcoming episodes".

Menik Gooneratne, who plays Priya Kapoor, revealed that she has attempted to create a homely feeling on the set by decorating it with some of her own family photos.

She told Channel 5: "Although I'm officially at work, having photos of my parents and grandparents taken when they lived in Sri Lanka makes it feel more like home."

The Kapoors were announced as new regulars for Neighbours late last year, but they have so far been living away from the street.

Gooneratne added: "I love the way the family have been introduced to Ramsay Street and there is a lot in store for them which I'm very excited about."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK, and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

Perdita
08-08-2012, 12:49
Neighbours stars Sachin Joab and Menik Gooneratne have revealed the extent of their characters' upcoming problems.

Ajay and Priya Kapoor's relationship starts to unravel as Ramsay Street's newest residents argue over buying a new house.

Their issues begin when Ajay buys number 24 without consulting Priya.

Gooneratne, who plays Priya, told the Channel 5 website: "Priya is the one that keeps it together, and when Ajay makes decisions without her involvement, she doesn't like it. I think it's been brewing for a while.

"They are both high achievers for all the right reasons, but they have unintentionally put their careers first."

Meanwhile, Joab commented: "They work too hard! I think they are so busy with life and Ajay wants to do everything for his family's future that they're actually forgetting about living in the moment.

"Everything Ajay does is for his family, but he is forgetting about what's important and that is being with them."

Perdita
08-08-2012, 12:49
Neighbours stars Sachin Joab and Menik Gooneratne have revealed the extent of their characters' upcoming problems.

Ajay and Priya Kapoor's relationship starts to unravel as Ramsay Street's newest residents argue over buying a new house.

Their issues begin when Ajay buys number 24 without consulting Priya.

Gooneratne, who plays Priya, told the Channel 5 website: "Priya is the one that keeps it together, and when Ajay makes decisions without her involvement, she doesn't like it. I think it's been brewing for a while.

"They are both high achievers for all the right reasons, but they have unintentionally put their careers first."

Meanwhile, Joab commented: "They work too hard! I think they are so busy with life and Ajay wants to do everything for his family's future that they're actually forgetting about living in the moment.

"Everything Ajay does is for his family, but he is forgetting about what's important and that is being with them."

N.Fan
08-08-2012, 16:30
That's probably the reason Paul shows an interest in Priya because she isn't getting on with Ajay.But I can't really see her showing much interest in Paul.

Perdita
05-09-2012, 10:36
Neighbours' UK fans see a surprising new friendship begin next week as Priya Kapoor starts bonding with Paul Robinson.

When Paul (Stefan Dennis) becomes a lone voice of support for Priya at a difficult school board meeting, she is stunned by his sudden change in attitude towards her given their previous clashes.

Later, as the pair enjoy drinks together at Charlie's, could this be the start of some romantic chemistry between Priya and Paul?

Digital Spy recently chatted to Menik Gooneratne, who plays Priya, to hear her thoughts on the storyline.

Up until now, there's always been a fair amount of tension between Priya and Paul. Why would you say they've struggled to get along?
"They are both very strong-willed people, but I think Priya does take the high moral ground which is not exactly Paul's style, so most of the time they are at odds with each other."

Things change between them at the school board meeting next week. What can you tell us about that?
"Priya needs to make an unpopular business decision for the good of the school programme, and she expects a lot of resistance. As Paul is usually against the way she runs the school, Priya is taken aback when he supports what she is trying to do."

We later see Priya and Paul enjoy drinks together at Charlie's. Is there some chemistry between them from Priya's point of view?
"Not at that stage, but I think they are both surprised by how they can speak to each other in a civil manner and it's actually quite pleasant. There is probably more common ground between them than they expected."

Later, Priya isn't entirely honest with Ajay about the afternoon that she's spent with Paul. Why is that?
"Priya is surprised by how much she enjoyed Paul's company, and while absolutely nothing happened, she is still sorting out in her own mind what all this means."

How does Priya react when Paul sends her some champagne as a gift the next day?
"For Priya, this is crossing the line, but she is confused by how she is feeling. I think she likes the attention and she has obviously discovered another side of Paul which she finds attractive.

"But she is married - she's the respectable school principal for heaven's sake, she shouldn't have any of these thoughts. It's just really weird for her."

Neighbours fans have been speculating that a Paul and Priya affair could be on the way for quite a while now! Would you be interested to see things go further between them?
"Definitely. They are both really interesting characters."

Do you think Priya is the type of character who would have an affair guilt-free, or would she struggle with her conscience?
"She'd definitely struggle. She knows no other way but be the good wife, the good mother, the good teacher etc. This goes against all her moral beliefs."

How have you found working with Stefan Dennis on the storyline?
"It's absolutely fantastic. Stefan is a seasoned pro, so it's been great to work with someone with so much experience and who just happens to be a huge amount of fun."

There seems to be some underlying problems in the Kapoors' marriage. Why would you say they're struggling?
"Ajay and Priya 'had' to get married when they were very young because they were expecting a baby, so it's been very full-on for them.

"They had to be a family at an age when their peers were out having fun, then they were establishing their careers, now it's buying a house. There hasn't been a lot of down time."

If things did take an even bigger turn for the worse, would you be sad to see the family's stability in jeopardy so soon after joining the show?
"Hey, this is Neighbours and fans love the heightened drama. I think it makes them more interesting rather than just living day to day with no ups and downs."

How well have you settled into Neighbours? When you first joined as a guest last year, did you always know there was a long-term plan for the Kapoors?
"The show just feels like home now, I love it. I understand the councillor role came first which Sachin [Jaob] was cast for, and then the rest of the family followed as the writers saw potential for these characters. Having the Kapoors living at Number 24 now really does make them part of the landscape."

How does Neighbours compare to your previous work? Does it feel like one of your biggest projects due to the show's big international following?
"For sure! This is my first ongoing role and I certainly now have an appreciation for how much the show is loved and respected around the world."

What are your hobbies and interests outside of acting?
"I'm actually a professional photographer so I'm still very interested in that."

Can you give us any final hints on what you're filming at the moment?
"Let's just say there are a lot of tears being shed and voices raised…"

lizann
06-09-2012, 10:40
Another affair for Paul

N.Fan
06-09-2012, 15:24
Typical of Paul now that he's finished with Zoe,looks like he's setting his sights on Priya now.

tammyy2j
02-10-2012, 15:58
I'm not liking any of this family

alan45
18-01-2013, 01:16
Neighbours star Menik Gooneratne has claimed that her character Priya Kapoor's affair could make her marriage "stronger".

The school principal recently called off her fling with Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis), although their affair has since been exposed on Australian screens.

Gooneratne gave her thoughts to MSN on why Priya cheated on husband Ajay (Sachin Joab) in the first place.

"I think she was struggling in her marriage because she married quite young, she married because she fell pregnant," she said.

"She was questioning, 'Is my husband married to me because he's doing the right thing or does he actually love me?' and all that she's seeing in the past is him choosing work over her and she thinks he's only in it to be the good father and the good husband.

"And with Paul, he is the first time that someone looks at her as a woman, and that's where the temptation lies, and she's struggling to be the perfect wife and mother and principal and not allowing herself to get emotionally involved with her daughter and her husband."

However, Gooneratne suggested that there is a future for Priya and Ajay, arguing: "What makes her call off her affair with Paul is she sees in her husband what she hadn't seen before and was reminded of why she fell in love with him in the first place."

"I think once you get through the initial hurt and betrayal and let that go and move forward, I think it will be a much stronger relationship than it was before."

alan45
18-01-2013, 01:16
Neighbours star Menik Gooneratne has claimed that her character Priya Kapoor's affair could make her marriage "stronger".

The school principal recently called off her fling with Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis), although their affair has since been exposed on Australian screens.

Gooneratne gave her thoughts to MSN on why Priya cheated on husband Ajay (Sachin Joab) in the first place.

"I think she was struggling in her marriage because she married quite young, she married because she fell pregnant," she said.

"She was questioning, 'Is my husband married to me because he's doing the right thing or does he actually love me?' and all that she's seeing in the past is him choosing work over her and she thinks he's only in it to be the good father and the good husband.

"And with Paul, he is the first time that someone looks at her as a woman, and that's where the temptation lies, and she's struggling to be the perfect wife and mother and principal and not allowing herself to get emotionally involved with her daughter and her husband."

However, Gooneratne suggested that there is a future for Priya and Ajay, arguing: "What makes her call off her affair with Paul is she sees in her husband what she hadn't seen before and was reminded of why she fell in love with him in the first place."

"I think once you get through the initial hurt and betrayal and let that go and move forward, I think it will be a much stronger relationship than it was before."

Perdita
20-01-2013, 08:29
Neighbours' Ajay Kapoor shows another side to his personality later this month as he punches Paul Robinson.

Ajay's temper boils over after his daughter Rani informs him that Priya has been cheating on him with Paul, bringing the affair storyline to a dramatic conclusion.

Although Ajay (Sachin Joab) initially thinks that a rebellious Rani is lying, Priya can't stand by and watch her daughter's credibility be called into question - so she tells her devastated husband the truth.

A furious Ajay kicks Priya (Menik Gooneratne) out of their family home following her shock confession, and when he spots Paul out on the street the next day, he can't resist lashing out at his love rival.

Ajay may feel slightly better after punishing Paul (Stefan Dennis), but is there any way that he and Priya can come back from this?

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/03/618x419/soaps-neighbours-6547-2.jpg
© Channel 5

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/03/618x379/soaps-neighbours-6547-5.jpg
© Channel 5

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/03/618x411/soaps-neighbours-6547-6.jpg
© Channel 5

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/03/618x410/soaps-neighbours-6547-1.jpg
© Channel 5

Neighbours airs these scenes on Tuesday, January 29 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Perdita
28-01-2013, 14:24
The actor's alter ego Ajay Kapoor is left devastated on UK screens this evening (January 28) as he discovers that his wife Priya has been cheating on him with bad boy Paul Robinson.

Priya (Menik Gooneratne) recently ended her fling with Paul, but the truth comes out when the Kapoors' teenage daughter Rani (Coco-Jacinta Cherian) exposes her mother's betrayal.

Joab told Digital Spy: "At first Ajay thinks his daughter is lying to hurt her mother. Priya and Rani haven't been getting along, so he puts it down initially to teenage angst.

"But when Priya has to choose between calling her daughter a liar and admitting the truth, she realises she has to come clean. Ajay is obviously devastated."

Viewers see another side to Ajay as he kicks Priya out of their family home, before getting his revenge against Paul with an unexpected punch.

Later episodes see Ajay invite Priya back to the house for Rani's sake, but it's clear that forgiveness may be a long way off. He also quits his job at the law firm, deciding that he needs to start putting himself first.

Asked whether the Kapoors can get through their rocky patch, Joab replied: "Ajay invites Priya back home for Rani initially - but he doesn't hate Priya, he just doesn't know her anymore.

"Priya wanted to end the affair with Paul because she realised she still loved Ajay and she had too much to lose. Ajay was always in love with her, so yes, I think there is a chance they can come through this - but it will take a lot of work on both sides.

"I think they have both been driven, particularly my character, to achieve everything - basically not taking enough time to smell the roses. They need to keep remembering how much they had before all this, how much they were in love at one time, and harness those feelings.

"When it comes to his job, he needs a change of scenery for the moment - but he loved being a lawyer, so I think he'll go back to it at some stage."

However, the actor also confirmed that viewers haven't seen the last of the drama for the Kapoor clan.

Asked about the scenes he is currently shooting, Joab replied: "There is a massive turning point in the Kapoors' lives coming up, which we're filming the aftermath of at the moment."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK, and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

Perdita
31-01-2013, 13:22
Neighbours star Menik Gooneratne has claimed that the cast are forced to chew ice cubes before scenes.

The actress, who plays school principal Priya Kapoor, disclosed details of the show's unusual filming methods involving summer scenes being shot in the winter.

"With the way that filming works, because of how far ahead we are, usually in summer we're filming winter scenes, so even though you've got these glorious 40 degree days, we're in heavy jackets, sweating our asses off," she told MSN.

"And then when we're filming summer scenes it's winter, so we're in our skimpy outifts with heatpacks stuck to our skin, underneath our clothes, so that we can be toasty warm.

"Or they put heatpacks in your shoes so your toes don't get frostbite."

Gooneratne added: "And one time you could see the actors' breath, that's how cold it was, so they were having us chew ice in between takes, to lower our mouth temperature!"

Perdita
12-03-2013, 19:34
Neighbours star Sachin Joab will be leaving the soap at the end of his current contract.

The actor, who plays Ajay Kapoor, is to bow out on screen later this year but further details have yet to be disclosed.

Ajay's exit was revealed in Australian publication The Reporter, which states that Joab is heading to Los Angeles to look for other career opportunities.

Menik Gooneratne, who plays Ajay's wife Priya, has also left Neighbours and is thought to have already filmed her exit scenes.

Ajay and Priya were introduced to Neighbours as guest characters in 2011, before later being promoted to regulars and moving into Ramsay Street with their teenage daughter Rani.

In recent months, the couple's marriage has come under severe strain after Priya had an affair with bad boy Paul Robinson.

Neighbours is currently undergoing a period of change as show bosses have recently introduced the Turner family to the Street, while the Willises will also be joining in the middle of the year.

lizann
12-03-2013, 21:19
^ no loss

maybe priya dies from toadie and sonya's wedding explosion

Mirjam
13-03-2013, 11:50
Too bad they are going, I really liked the Kapoor family. Am curious whether Rani will leave now too or that she will stay at the Kennedy's now that Tash and Summer will leave and have left.

LostVoodoo
13-03-2013, 15:47
I've found Priya to be a really annoying character, so glad that she's leaving, can't her whinging on and on and also her excessive eyeshadow! Rani is the best out of all of them, so yes, hoping she stays in the great Kennedy foster home ;)

alan45
01-05-2013, 09:08
The actress, who appeared on screen as schoolgirl Rani Kapoor from early 2012, had her final day on set yesterday (April 30).

After saying goodbye to cast and crew, Cherian tweeted: "Just got so spoilt by the most incredible bunch of people in the world! I love you all so very much and miss you already."

Neighbours' executive producer Richard Jasek told Digital Spy: "It's very special when someone joins the Neighbours family as a youngster and then to have the privilege of watching them grow into an extraordinary young adult.

"We have all adored working with Coco and like all our characters, we hope there will be an opportunity with our stories for Rani to make a return visit to Ramsay Street.

"In the meantime, we wish her all the best in the future."

Menik Gooneratne, who played Rani's mother Priya, also left Neighbours earlier this year as her character was killed off in Toadie and Sonya's wedding day explosion.

Additionally, the departure of Sachin Joab - who played Rani's father Ajay - was confirmed in March.

alan45
01-05-2013, 09:08
The actress, who appeared on screen as schoolgirl Rani Kapoor from early 2012, had her final day on set yesterday (April 30).

After saying goodbye to cast and crew, Cherian tweeted: "Just got so spoilt by the most incredible bunch of people in the world! I love you all so very much and miss you already."

Neighbours' executive producer Richard Jasek told Digital Spy: "It's very special when someone joins the Neighbours family as a youngster and then to have the privilege of watching them grow into an extraordinary young adult.

"We have all adored working with Coco and like all our characters, we hope there will be an opportunity with our stories for Rani to make a return visit to Ramsay Street.

"In the meantime, we wish her all the best in the future."

Menik Gooneratne, who played Rani's mother Priya, also left Neighbours earlier this year as her character was killed off in Toadie and Sonya's wedding day explosion.

Additionally, the departure of Sachin Joab - who played Rani's father Ajay - was confirmed in March.

Perdita
27-07-2013, 06:53
This is the moment that Ajay and Rani Kapoor bow out from Neighbours as they depart Ramsay Street for an emergency trip to India.

The father and daughter duo are already organising a holiday there when some devastating news forces them to bring their plans forward.

Phoning his relatives in India to arrange the break, Ajay (Sachin Joab) is shocked when his grandmother admits that she's dying. It turns out that she has been keeping the news from him for quite a while, feeling that he'd already suffered enough by losing his wife Priya.

A concerned Ajay immediately makes plans to fly out to India to be with his gran, arranging for Rani (Coco-Jacinta Cherian) to stay with the Kennedys in his absence.

However, when Rani strongly protests that they should deal with this crisis together as a family, Ajay agrees that Rani can come with him after all.

With little time to waste, Rani says a bittersweet goodbye to boyfriend Bailey Turner (Calen Mackenzie) before leaving the Street with her father in a taxi. After everything they've been through together, how will Bailey cope without Rani?
http://i2.cdnds.net/13/30/618x415/soaps-neighbours-bailey-rani.jpg
Bailey and Rani say goodbye
© Channel 5

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/30/618x412/soaps-neighbours-bailey-rani-2.jpg
Bailey and Rani say goodbye
© Channel 5

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/30/618x412/soaps-neighbours-ajay-rani-kapoor-leave-ramsay-street.jpg
Ajay and Rani leave in a taxi
© Channel 5

Neighbours airs these scenes on Friday, August 9 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Perdita
28-07-2013, 17:39
Former Neighbours star Menik Gooneratne has given birth to a baby boy.

The married actress, who played Priya Kapoor in the Australian soap, welcomed her first child last week.

She shared the news with fans on Twitter earlier today after confirming her pregnancy in March.

Priya was killed off in Toadie and Sonya Rebecchi's wedding day explosion earlier this year.

The character has since made a handful of appearances as a vision.

Perdita
04-10-2013, 13:44
Neighbours star Menik Gooneratne has spoken out about some of the racist comments she received during her time on the show.

The actress played Ramsay Street's Priya Kapoor from 2011 to 2013 when her character was killed off.

Gooneratne told The Equity Magazine: "Two years ago, I had the immense pleasure of joining the main cast of Neighbours.

"But instead of being a time to celebrate this progressive step, the announcement of my casting and the subsequent months led to a barrage of racial abuse and outrage that brown people were 'invading' Ramsay Street and 'stealing jobs' from hard-working Australians.

"Unfortunately, no amount of telling myself this was just a vocal minority made their comments any less hurtful."

Gooneratne continued: "For me the push for diversity on our screens goes a lot further than just opening doors for a host of exceptionally talented Australian actors.

"Our industry has a social and moral responsibility to help break the stereotypes and fear-mongering that are contributing to the community's increased hostility towards anyone who appears 'different'."

Gooneratne has joined Equity's Casting Diversity Committee and was speaking out in their magazine. The committee promotes more equality and aims to bring the issues associated with casting diversity to the forefront.

Sachin Joab, who played Priya's on-screen husband Ajay, has previously spoken to Digital Spy about diversity on screen. He is also a member of the committee.