PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest 2012

Perdita
16-10-2011, 17:52
Jedward are reportedly being lined up to represent Ireland again in next year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The Celebrity Big Brother twins, who rose to fame on The X Factor, finished eighth in this year's Eurovision Song Contest with their track 'Lipstick' - beating UK entry Blue.

They dominated European music charts following their appearance, selling 120,000 copies of 'Lipstick' in Sweden alone.

Their popularity has resulted in Irish broadcaster RTÉ asking the twins to perform for a second year in a row at the 2012 contest in Azerbaijan.

"Jedward proved to be one of the most talked-about and popular acts," an RTÉ source told the Daily Star Sunday.

"They were such a *massive hit with the media and fans that even the *Eurovision organisers requested them back. Provided the song is right, then yes, Jedward will *accept the offer."

Jedward, who release new single 'WoW Oh WoW' on November 18, finished third in this year's Celebrity Big Brother.

Perdita
30-10-2011, 07:34
Jedward have confirmed rumours that they will represent Ireland again in next year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The twins, who rose to fame on The X Factor, finished eighth in this year's international competition with their track 'Lipstick'.

Speaking to MTV, the pair said that their second song would be "bigger and better".

John declared: "Guess what? We're gonna be doing Eurovision 2012. It's totally awesome. We did Eurovision 2011 and since we did that we're known all across Europe and all across the world.

"And next year it's gonna be even bigger and better because we're in all these teen magazines, and we go all over Europe.

"Our song and album and everything is doing really well in all these countries, and we're really excited about doing Eurovision 2012."

He added: "Louis Walsh has all these songs lined up and we're just listening to them right now and picking a good song."

Meanwhile, Edward teased: "We're getting a better song than 'Lipstick' so the UK better watch out, because Jedward's coming to get them again next year!"

Perdita
17-02-2012, 06:15
WAR has broken out between the BBC and Azerbaijan over Eurovision.

The Asian country, which hosts the contest in May, has an appalling human rights record.

And Azerbaijani officials were furious when the Beeb ran a news report claiming that pensioners were being kicked out of homes in the capital, Baku, to make way for a new concert hall.

They promptly denied the story and accused the BBC of trying to damage the nation’s image.

One Azerbaijani posted a message saying: “We hate you BBC. Please don’t come to Baku.”

The European Broadcasting Union, which organises the annual song contest, contacted the BBC and told them that demolition of a tower block for the hall was planned before Azerbaijan won the chance to host Eurovision.

Last night an EBU spokes- man said: “Based on our call, the BBC amended the report.”

Asked about the reaction from Azerbaijan, he added: “I imagine they weren’t happy. They want to focus on the positive aspects of hosting a great contest.”

The BBC declined to com- ment. Meanwhile, Beeb bosses will reveal shortly who will represent the UK this year, with Will Young, 33, and Geri Halliwell, 39, among the contenders.

Perdita
02-03-2012, 03:54
Engelbert Humperdinck has been announced as the UK's entrant for this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The 75-year-old crooner will perform a track produced by Martin Terefe, who has previously worked with Mary J Blige and James Morrison.

It is co-written by the Ivor Novello award-winning Sacha Skarbek (Adele, Lana Del Rey) and Terefe. It is currently being recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville.

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/09/618x343/uktv_engelbert_humperdink.JPG

"We are proud to announce that Engelbert Humperdinck is the UK entry for Eurovision 2012!" the BBC confirmed on Twitter.

"It's an absolute honour to be representing my country for this year's Eurovision Song Contest," Humperdinck said.

"When the BBC approached me, it just felt right for me to be a part of an institution like Eurovision. I'm excited and raring to go and want the nation to get behind me!"

Humperdinck - real name Gerry Dorsey - was one of the most popular singers in the 1960s and 1970s, with hits including 'Release Me', 'The Last Waltz' and 'Quando Quando Quando'.

Katie Taylor, BBC Head of Entertainment and Events said: "Not since the '70s have we had such an established international musical legend represent the nation. We couldn't be more delighted.

"Engelbert's experience leaves us in no doubt that he will be able to deliver a standout performance in front of 120 million viewers worldwide."

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/09/618x827/music_engelbert_humperdinck.jpg

Atomic Kitten were among the artists rumoured for a Eurovision spot this year, along with The X Factor's Johnny Robinson and Steps.

Blue represented the UK last year, finishing in 11th place.

tammyy2j
02-03-2012, 15:58
^ My mother loves him Quando Quando Quando (god even I know his songs) :o

Perdita
02-03-2012, 16:09
this is it for those that don't know hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQPBHj6exk0

parkerman
02-03-2012, 23:20
WAR has broken out between the BBC and Azerbaijan over Eurovision.

Engelbert Humperdinck has been announced as the UK's entrant for this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

That'll learn them to mess with us!

Perdita
09-03-2012, 10:15
If Britain was hoping to sew up the elderly vote by selecting Englebert Humperdinck for Eurovision, the plan has been well and truly scuppered.
Russia will be represented by a group of grandmothers with a combined age of more than 400.
At least one of the group, called the Buranovo Grannies, is in her 80s. Humperdinck is a sprightly 75 by comparison.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-0-1214E68F000005DC-570_634x364.jpg
The Buranovo Grannies have an average age of 75 but they're not letting that get in their way as they go for Eurovision glory

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-0-1214E84B000005DC-339_634x387.jpg
Their song, Party for Everybody, is in mixes English with Udmurt, a distant relation of Finnish

The girl group beat 24 other bands and singers, including a double act featuring 2008 Eurovision winner Dima Bilan, in a televised competition to decide the Russian entrant.

The chorus of their song Party For Everybody is in English, but the rest is in Udmurt, a distant relation of Finnish spoken by just 325,000 people.

Battle for the grey vote: The Buranovo Grannies will be up against British entry Engelbert Humperdinck, who is 75
The 57th Eurovision Song Contest will be held in May in Baku, Azerbaijan. While some countries compete for the Eurovision title in earnest, the contest has for many become an object of mockery.
But the Buranovo Grannies, who performed in customary peasant garb, say they want to be taken seriously.
One group member, who identified herself in an interview to Russian television station Rossiya-1 as granny Olya, said their goal in performing is to raise money to build a church in their village of Buranovo, which is home to around 650 people.
'Grandmothers don't need glory and wealth. We have family, we have a home, we have enough to live,' grandmother Olya said.
At an average age of 75, the Buranovo Grannies will be competing with UK entry Engelbert Humperdinck for the grey vote.
Humperdinck, a sideburned, square-jawed, 75-year-old crooner who famously beat the Beatles to the number one spot in the UK charts in 1967, was selected by the BBC as Britain's entry in the Eurovision.
Humperdinck - whose former name is Arnold Dorsey - was a 1960s sex symbol whose Release Me topped the British charts in 1967, keeping The Beatles at number two. He also had a top 10 U.S. hit in 1976 with "After the Lovin."
Previous winners of the contest include '60s chanteuse Lulu, Sweden's ABBA - victors in 1974 with Waterloo - and Canada's Celine Dion, who triumphed for Switzerland in 1988.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112173/Eurovision-2012-Girl-band-Buranovo-Grannies-average-age-75-represent-Russia.html#ixzz1oc4uhwDX

alan45
19-03-2012, 10:13
Engelbert calls for the UK to get behind him as he flies the flag for the nation this May at the 57th Eurovision Song Contest in Baku, Azerbaijan in front of an estimated 120 million viewers worldwide.

“Love Will Set You Free” has been recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville and is co-written and produced by Grammy Award-winning Martin Terefe (James Morrison, KT Tunstall, Mary J Blige), and Ivor Novello Award-winning Sacha Skarbek (Adele, James Blunt co-writer ‘You’re Beautiful’, Lana Del Rey). Engelbert will be accompanied on stage by guitarist James Bryan, well-known for his appearances with Nelly Furtado. Also, Arlene Phillips will be staging Engelbert’s performance in Baku.

Derek McLean, BBC Creative Director Entertainment, says “As Eurovision draws ever closer, we are delighted to announce that Engelbert will perform ‘Love Will Set You Free’ to a worldwide audience of millions at the Eurovision Song Contest. It is a soaring ballad that has been crafted by some of the best people in music. With credentials like these, and our very own music legend on vocals, this year our Eurovision entry is second to none.”

Engelbert Humperdinck added: “I have my eyes on the prize with my song ‘Love Will Set You Free’. I’m very proud of the song and with the nation behind me, I feel ready and look forward to the rollercoaster ride that is Eurovision!"

Forty-two countries will compete this year and 20 of the countries represented in the final will be decided by two semi-finals, broadcast live on BBC Three at 8pm on Tuesday 22 and Thursday 24 May. Ten countries from each semi-final will go through to the grand final along with the big five – the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, plus host country Azerbaijan.

UK viewers will once again be part of the Eurovision Song Contest experience via the red button. Red button users will be able to sing along to the lyrics of all 26 finalists songs, both in English and the original language. Viewers will also be able to share their comments and thoughts on this year’s grand final. The BBC’s Facebook and Twitter feed @bbceurovision will also give viewers the chance to voice their opinions on all things Eurovision right up until the grand final.

The Eurovision Song Contest grand final on BBC One and BBC One HD and semi-finals on BBC Three are executive produced by Andrew Cartmell. The grand final on BBC One will be produced by Russell Minton and the semi-finals on BBC Three will be produced by Ali Marlow.

IV

Perdita
19-03-2012, 20:01
Love Will Set You Free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um2OVXAO1dk

Chloe O'brien
23-03-2012, 22:25
Oh god another Nil Points for the UK. The Russian Grannies are going to win. :D

Perdita
13-05-2012, 12:54
Saturday 26 May
8.00-11.15pm
BBC ONE

Graham Norton commentates for BBC One and BBC One HD and Ken Bruce commentates for BBC Radio 2 as 26 countries (out of the original 42) compete for the coveted title of the Eurovision Song Contest winner 2012.
From each of the two semi-finals, ten countries have qualified. Meanwhile, the big five - France, Germany, Spain, the United Kingdom and Italy - and host country Azerbaijan have automatically qualified to take part in the Grand Final.

Engelbert Humperdinck will be flying the flag for the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest tonight as he opens this year's spectacular event with his soaring ballad Love Will Set You Free'.

Viewers will once again be part of the Eurovision Song Contest experience via the red button. Red button users will be able to sing along to the lyrics of all 26 finalists songs, both in English and the original language. Viewers will also be able to share their comments and thoughts on this year's grand final.

tammyy2j
23-05-2012, 15:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=O_9QaVC-NKw

Jedward are in the final

lizann
24-05-2012, 10:19
^ They look like they should be in Wizard of Oz :p

Perdita
27-05-2012, 01:20
Sweden has emerged victorious in the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 final.

The country's entrant Loreen triumphed with dance track 'Euphoria', which claimed 372 points to top the board during tonight's event in Baku, Azerbaijan.

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/21/618x377/music_eurovision_2012_loreen.jpg
© PA Images / Sergey Ponomarev/AP

Buranovskiye Babushki came second with 'Party For Everybody', which earned the Russian grandmothers 259 points, while Serbian Željko Joksimović was third with his track 'Nije Ljubav Stvar', ending up with 214 points.

Irish entry Jedward failed to replicate 2011's top ten placing for their song 'Lipstick', with this year's 'Waterline' ending up in 19th place with 46 points.

The UK's Engelbert Humperdinck, however, had to settle for only 12 points for his performance of 'Love Will Set You Free', leaving him in second to last place, in front of Norway.

Humperdinck's position saw him fall short of Blue's 11th place success at last year's Eurovision Song Contest in Düsseldorf, Germany.

However, the crooner managed to top 'That Sounds Good To Me' by Josh Dubovie, which finished in last place at the 2010 competition in Oslo, Norway.

lizann
27-05-2012, 12:40
I wanted the grannies to win

Siobhan
27-05-2012, 15:15
me too lizann... I am wonder how Albania got so many points.. worst song ever in the history of Eurovision

tammyy2j
27-05-2012, 21:16
I liked Germany's song it would be nice if all the songs were in English :o surprised Ireland did so bad this year with Jedward again

Siobhan
27-05-2012, 21:52
I liked Germany's song it would be nice if all the songs were in English :o surprised Ireland did so bad this year with Jedward again

Yeah.. Jonny logan wins twice for Ireland, Jedward loses twice

JustJodi
29-05-2012, 02:04
Jedward was TERRIBLE