PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Dancing Remake

tammyy2j
09-08-2011, 10:54
Kenny Ortega has signed on to direct a big-screen remake of the 1987 hit Dirty Dancing. Ortega served as the choreographer on the original film, which starred Jennifer Grey as a wealthy 1960s teen who falls in love with a dance instructor (Patrick Swayze) while spending the summer at a Catskills resort.

Ortega — who most recently directed the documentary Michael Jackson’s This Is It – said in a statement, “The opportunity to direct Dirty Dancing is like returning home for me…. Patrick Swayze set the bar for men dancing in the movies as Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire did before him. I believe everywhere you look there is evidence that the talent is out there and I can’t wait to begin the process of discovering the next breakout triple-threats.”

One of the most profitable films of its time, the original Dirty Dancing was made for $6 million and went on to gross $214 million worldwide, spawning a stage adaptation, a TV series, and an unsuccessful 2004 quasi-remake, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, which told a similar story but set the action in Havana on the eve of the Cuban Revolution.

Ortega’s remake will utilize classic songs from the ’60s and the hits from the original movie, as well as new songs.

Siobhan
09-08-2011, 10:59
Love the original.. and by all account this is going to be the same storyline, same music but different actors.. not sure if I will like it as much as the original... there is only one Baby

JustJodi
09-08-2011, 11:56
Why ??????????? :wall: :nono:why do they feel the need to remake movies,, there are thousands and thousands of scripts sitting around waiting to be read and discovered as awesome new movies, we are constantly seeing classics remade and destroyed !!!!!!!!!! :readtheru Ok thats my vent for the day:moonie:

JustJodi
09-08-2011, 11:57
Love the original.. and by all account this is going to be the same storyline, same music but different actors.. not sure if I will like it as much as the original... there is only one Baby

it also said there will be NEW SONGS too,,,

tammyy2j
09-08-2011, 12:08
Kenny Ortega is known for directing the High School Musical trilogy - enough said!

No one can replace Patrick Swayze as Johnny for me

JustJodi
09-08-2011, 12:41
Kenny Ortega is known for directing the High School Musical trilogy - enough said!

No one can replace Patrick Swayze as Johnny for me

they can not replace BABY either............

lizann
09-08-2011, 21:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

This is a classic no need for a remake

"No one puts baby in the corner" :p

tammyy2j
11-08-2011, 14:29
Justin Timberlake and Emma Stone have been named as favourites to appear in the upcoming Dirty Dancing remake.

Bookmaker Paddy Power has put together a list of potential stars to take on the roles originally played by Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey.

Timberlake leads the pack on the male lead side with odds of 3/1. He is closely followed by Thor actor Chris Hemsworth at 6/1 and dancer Derek Hough at 8/1.

Zac Efron, Channing Tatum and Justin Bieber are among other male stars in the list, with Harry Potter stars Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint at the bottom with 33/1 each.

Emma Stone tops the female lead list with odds of 5/1. Glee star Lea Michele and Scream 4's Emma Roberts follow with 8/1, while Ellen Page, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez are among the other options.

Jennifer Grey, who played Baby in the original movie, revealed that she is "so excited" about the remake.

Abbie
12-08-2011, 23:20
Theres just no need for it

Chloe O'brien
14-08-2011, 01:24
They can't do a remake. There can only be one dirty dancing. I remember working in a hotel when this movie was first out. We used to go to this pub near the hotel every Friday cause it was cheap booze and they had a disco. Everytime "The time of my life" came on we all had special partners who we danced with. My partner was Wayne the porter. He was quite like Bradley from EE but with blonde hair. He was such a sweetie we had a right laugh on the dance floor.

Perdita
04-11-2011, 07:06
Dirty Dancing will be released in cinemas in 2013, studio Lionsgate Films has confirmed.

A remake of the original movie directed by choreographer Kenny Ortega was announced in August this year. The studio used its official Twitter account to confirm the news.

The movie will receive its theatrical release on July 26, 2013.

The remake - which has not been cast yet - has received the blessing of its original star Jennifer Grey, who said that she was "so excited" about the new movie.

Patrick Swayze's widow Lisa Niemi is also supportive of the project, according to Ortega.

High School Musical director Ortega - who choreographed the original movie - admitted that deciding whether to accept the director's chair for Dirty Dancing was "really tough". However, he has said that he is ready for the challenges that remaking a classic film generates.

JustJodi
04-11-2011, 08:28
Ok who is playing BABY and who is playing JOHNNY ?????

Perdita
04-11-2011, 08:33
Ok who is playing BABY and who is playing JOHNNY ?????

The have not been cast yet