PDA

View Full Version : Phone Hacking Scandal

pipette
05-07-2011, 22:17
Could someone please send a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary to the news of the world so they can look up the meaning of the word privacy

alan45
06-07-2011, 00:36
Could someone please send a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary to the news of the world so they can look up the meaning of the word privacyand sleaze as well as gutter journalism.

People should boycott the News of the World and The Sun in protest. It is absolutely disgusting that these papers paid a scummy gumshoe money to listen into peoples calls just to get some dirt to sell their rags. The buck must stop with the formed Mrs Ross Kemp. Her position is untenable. She should do the only decent thing and resign

moonstorm
06-07-2011, 08:35
The whole thing makes me sick! I, for one, will not be buying these papers any more, that is the only way I can protest.

pipette
06-07-2011, 16:41
The S*n is already boycotted by Liverpool fans after what they said a few days after Hillsborough but it does look as though the general opinion of the public is for both to be boycotted especially after what came out this morning about them hacking the phones of the victim's family of the 7/7 bombings
There is a line in this world that you do not cross and the news of the world are so far past that line that they can't even see it any more, it was shocking enough when it was celebrities but they were also targeting the puplic at the most upsetting and destressing times of their lives. Unbelievable. They've gone too far

LFC FOR LIFE YNWA JFT96

Chloe O'brien
07-07-2011, 10:26
mS Brooks and Mr Coulslan must be held accountable for this disgusting act to sell newspapers. No body really cared when it was celebs but targetting families who have lost loved ones through such horror is unforgivable. Cameron won't bring them to justice because they are in Murdoch's back pocket, but they can't get away with this.

Perdita
07-07-2011, 11:50
The Royal British Legion has dropped the News of the World as its campaigning partner after allegations that the newspaper may have hacked into the phones of bereaved relatives of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. :thumbsup:

The Daily Telegraph yesterday claimed that the phone numbers of dead service personnel's relatives were found in the files of private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who worked on behalf of the News of the World before being jailed for phone hacking.

This followed claims that the paper also hacked the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, as well as families of people who died in the 7/7 London bombings, among others.

Military charity the Royal British Legion expressed its "revulsion" at the latest phone hacking allegations against the embattled Sunday tabloid, and said that it has "suspended all relations with the newspaper pending a resolution of the allegations".

The Legion said that its advertising budget with News International, parent company to the News of the World, is also "under review". The charity currently takes advertising space in The Sun and The Sun's Forces Channel online to promote its welfare services for Armed Forces personnel and their families.

A spokesman said: "We can't with any conscience campaign alongside News of the World on behalf of Armed Forces families while it stands accused of preying on these same families in the lowest depths of their misery. The hacking allegations have shocked us to the core."

Previously, the legion has teamed up with the News of the World to campaign on Military Covenant issues, and it was preparing to launch another campaign with the paper to save the chief coroner's office from being abolished.

"Clearly, it would make a mockery of that campaign to go hand-in-hand with News of the World," the spokesman added. "We think we'll do better without them."

Kevin Hart, one of the Legion's lawyers who has worked closely with bereaved military families, said that he was "appalled that their private lives could have been invaded".

"The Royal British Legion does its utmost to provide assistance and comfort to these bereaved families, who deserve the nation's utmost gratitude and respect," he added. "To think anyone would exploit their grief is frankly sick-making."

Michele Price, another of the Legion's lawyers, said: "The Legion acts as their voice and their champion. I feel that my families would expect inhuman behaviour on a remote battlefield but not at the hands of Fleet Street."

The Legion added its voice to calls for a full judicial review into the phone hacking scandal, including "powers to call evidence and examine witnesses under oath".

Ford has already announced plans to pulls its advertising from News International due to the scandal, with a range of other companies also currently reviewing their options. :cheer:

alan45
07-07-2011, 12:15
Lets all boycott The Sun and the News of the World. Only a small gesture but if lots of people get involved then it would hit them where it hurts. We could even decide not to post any stories or spoilers that appear in these two rags on this forum.

Perdita
07-07-2011, 12:52
Would that include the posts copied from Digital Spy?

alan45
07-07-2011, 14:25

Im game if you are. I know its only a small gesture but the more I think about this scum the angrier I become. When I think about how the parents of Milly Dowler must feel and now the relatives of dead servicemen there is only one course of action left open to Rebekkah and that is to accept responsibility for what happened and seek alternative employment

pipette
07-07-2011, 16:56
The news of the world has announced it will cease publication after this weekend's edition

more to follow....

LFC FOR LIFE YNWA JFT96

Perdita
07-07-2011, 16:58
NEWS OF THE WORLD TO CEASE PUBLICATION THIS SUNDAY
Damage limitation by James Murdoch. Mea culpa – and with one bound he was free. Murdoch values Rebekah Brooks so much he is prepared to scacrifice the NOTW in order to keep her.Daring move to wrong foot opponents. He’ll hope that’s it……..it won’t be …..see you outside Wapping tomorrow. Printers celebration party!

wordpress

parkerman
07-07-2011, 17:42
Call me an old cynic, but I can't help thinking that this move by Murdoch is not solely one of contrition.

He'll now be in a better position to get his hands on 100% of BSkyB and then, later this year or early next year, we will see the launch of the Sun on Sunday....

Perdita
07-07-2011, 17:43
I am absolutely certain that the NOTW will be replaced in no time, probably been working on that for a while now

Perdita
07-07-2011, 18:32
I am just sad for the innocent people who had nothing to do with this, who are now losing their jobs :(

alan45
07-07-2011, 22:46
Call me an old cynic, but I can't help thinking that this move by Murdoch is not solely one of contrition.

He'll now be in a better position to get his hands on 100% of BSkyB and then, later this year or early next year, we will see the launch of the Sun on Sunday....
You are not an old cynic. As you predicted the NOTW will survive as The Sun on Sunday although that's what I thought it already was.

200 people lose their jobs and the Chief Executive keeps hers. The situation is disgusting. People really should boycott all Murdochs rags now. I have no doubt lots of the information obtained from these illegal activities was used in stories in the Sun

alan45
07-07-2011, 22:48

Im game if you are. I know its only a small gesture but the more I think about this scum the angrier I become. When I think about how the parents of Milly Dowler must feel and now the relatives of dead servicemen there is only one course of action left open to Rebekkah and that is to accept responsibility for what happened and seek alternative employment

What do you say??

Perdita
08-07-2011, 07:03
Rumours are circulating that News International intends to launch The Sun on Sunday to replace the outgoing News of the World.

James Murdoch announced today that News of the World will close on Sunday following the ongoing phone hacking scandal.

On July 5, the domain name www.sunonsunday.com was registered by an unknown company. Several politicians and media commentators have speculated that News International are the owners of the domain name and are intending to re-brand their profitable newspaper.

Lord Prescott described the closure as "a management stunt" and said that the paper will "no doubt it will become the Sunday Sun".

Justice Minister Kenneth Clarke agreed, saying: "All they're going to do is rebrand it."

Former Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Ben Bradshaw said: "The News of the World closure announcement is a smokescreen. News International were planning a seven-day operation anyway. It doesn't address alleged crimes under the editorship of [Rebekah] Brooks."

> Ex-News of the World editor Andy Coulson to be arrested, says report
> James Murdoch backs Rebekah Brooks after News of the World closure

Meanwhile, former Independent on Sunday editor Peter Wilby said: "I'd wager, [not] a single Sunday will pass without a Murdoch tabloid appearing on the streets. After the News of the World's final issue this weekend, which will contain no commercial advertising and which will, we are told, devote its circulation revenues solely to good causes, expect a Sun on Sunday to appear the following week."

News International had previously announced plans to extend its main papers to a seven-day output.

However, The Sunday Sun is already a newspaper in Newscastle, owned by Trinity Mirror, which Rupert Murdoch tried to buy in the 1970s, although the title Sun on Sunday is available.

Speculation of a Sun on Sunday has also reached Twitter, with TV presenter Richard Madeley saying: "I don't think a Sunday Sun would succeed as things stand - people aren't stupid. But I'm sure this is all about protecting the BSkyB buyout."

Channel 4 News presenter Jon Snow said: "Watch for the Sunday Sun the Sunday after the News of the World dies this weekend?...at the rising of The Sun a going down of the scandal?"

Surely this is going to be the same paper under a different name, probably using the same tactics to get their headlines?

alan45
08-07-2011, 09:00
The News of the World really was just a Sunday version of the SUN

Chloe O'brien
08-07-2011, 17:19
I am absolutely certain that the NOTW will be replaced in no time, probably been working on that for a while now

Yeah give it a couple of months and NOTW will be back under a new name with the same trashy gutter press news, with Ms Brooks still at the helm. How can people like Murdoch believe she had nothing to do with the hacking is a joke. She was the editor for ffs she had to have known what her staff were up to.

alan45
09-07-2011, 09:56
It has just been revealed that when ET phoned home the NOTW hacked the

alan45
11-07-2011, 06:56
Lets all boycott The Sun and the News of the World. Only a small gesture but if lots of people get involved then it would hit them where it hurts. We could even decide not to post any stories or spoilers that appear in these two rags on this forum.

What do you say??

I guess that's a NO then http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?112121-Corrie-Carla-to-battle-drink-problem&p=751897#post751897

Perdita
11-07-2011, 07:08
Was a snippet I heard on my local radio show where they talk about upcoming soap storylines and other showbusiness news.

alan45
11-07-2011, 07:22
Was a snippet I heard on my local radio show where they talk about upcoming soap storylines and other showbusiness news.

LOL Its still from the SUn. Not much different from reposting it from DS. :)

The more I see and hear of Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks the angrier I become.

Perdita
11-07-2011, 08:04
What about you?:

http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?107519-Zoe-Lucker-swaps-the-glamour-of-Footballers-Wifes-for-depressing-Walford&p=751911#post751911

alan45
11-07-2011, 11:27
What about you?:

http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?107519-Zoe-Lucker-swaps-the-glamour-of-Footballers-Wifes-for-depressing-Walford&p=751911#post751911

I could have deleted the reference to the NOTW and just left the bit from the Sport in it but then iy would have been out of context. However I see the full article from the Sun has been published pratically verbatim http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?112121-Corrie-Carla-to-battle-drink-problem&p=751922#post751922 so I may as well continue posting from The Sun

Perdita
11-07-2011, 12:07
1. The way I see it, you chose not to follow your own suggestion by posting about an article in the NOTW, if you really felt that strong about it, you should not have posted it at all.

2. Nobody actually openly agreed with your suggestion about the boycott and I personally doubt that Rupert Murdoch will go broke if nobody mentions their articles on an internet forum. Not buying his newspapers could make a difference but I would be interested to see whether the sales of The Sun have been affected and if the replacement for the NOTW is cheaper than the other Sunday papers and/or has plenty of money off coupones/fancy competitions, I can see that selling well too, regardless.

3. I also do not believe that only NOTW and The Sun journalists use sleeze and illegal ways to get their headlines, every editor of a Fleet Street newspaper wants front page headlines and exclusive reports, so I will not be surprised if later this year more journalists working for different newspapers will be revealed to have used dirty tricks to get their stories.

alan45
11-07-2011, 14:04
1. The way I see it, you chose not to follow your own suggestion by posting about an article in the NOTW, if you really felt that strong about it, you should not have posted it at all. I explained why I left the reference to the NOTW in my post

2. Nobody actually openly agreed with your suggestion about the boycott and I personally doubt that Rupert Murdoch will go broke if nobody mentions their articles on an internet forum. Not buying his newspapers could make a difference but I would be interested to see whether the sales of The Sun have been affected and if the replacement for the NOTW is cheaper than the other Sunday papers and/or has plenty of money off coupones/fancy competitions, I can see that selling well too, regardless.It was just a suggestion on my part as a form of protest. I asked you if you agreed but you never answered. I never thought for one minute that merely not posting on this forum would bring The Dirty Digger to his knees. Indeed I doubt whether he even knows or cares about soapboards bearing in mind the contempt he has shown for the relatives of Milly Dowler and the hundreds of servicemen murdered in Afghanistan and Iraq. It was just a token protest which obviously you disagree with. As you are one of the most prolific posters I suppose I should not have expected it. You are of course entitled to your views and I do respect them believe it or not.

3. I also do not believe that only NOTW and The Sun journalists use sleeze and illegal ways to get their headlines, every editor of a Fleet Street newspaper wants front page headlines and exclusive reports, so I will not be surprised if later this year more journalists working for different newspapers will be revealed to have used dirty tricks to get their stories. I agree with you 100%

Thank you for your post. I know my protest was small but it reminded me of the words of Martin Niemöller a German Pastor during WWII

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

tammyy2j
11-07-2011, 14:23
We will have the Sunday Sun soon enough more money for Murdoch

alan45
11-07-2011, 15:14
We will have the Sunday Sun soon enough more money for Murdoch
I wish I was as sure of winning the lottery as I am about this. IMHO the NOTW was just the Sun on Sunday anyway.

We can only hope this Scuppers his plans to gain the remaining 61% of BSkyB.

parkerman
11-07-2011, 16:24
I see the latest news is that both the Sunday Times and The Sun (Under the fragrant Rebecca's editorship) targetted Gordon Brown using some rather dubious practices.

Perhaps the Dirty Digger will have to close down both of them now as well.

alan45
11-07-2011, 16:36
I see the latest news is that both the Sunday Times and The Sun (Under the fragrant Rebecca's editorship) targetted Gordon Brown using some rather dubious practices.

Perhaps the Dirty Digger will have to close down both of them now as well.

I think he would close down anything in his quest to gain overall control of BSkyB. The man must think he is going to live for ever. This present government and its predecessors have only themselves to blame for the rise of this Meglomaniac and his flame haired manipulator

Perdita
13-07-2011, 15:02
News Corporation has withdrawn its bid for BSkyB, Sky News City editor Mark Kleinman has exclusively revealed.

More follows ...

Perdita
13-07-2011, 15:07
Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation has announced that it is dropping its planned bid to take full ownership of satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

The announcement came as the House of Commons was preparing to vote for a motion calling on Mr Murdoch to do so.

All three major party leaders had said they supported the motion, which would not be legally binding on News Corp.

The decision follows days of allegations about phone hacking by News Corp subsidiary News International.

'Huge humiliation'

"We believed that the proposed acquisition of BSkyB by News Corporation would benefit both companies, but it has become clear that it is too difficult to progress in this climate," said News Corp deputy chairman and president Chase Carey in a statement.

"News Corporation remains a committed long-term shareholder in BSkyB. We are proud of the success it has achieved and our contribution to it."

BSkyB's share price briefly dropped following the announcement to about 4% down for the day, before recovering.

The company has fallen some 20% since peaking a week ago, and is trading at a level not seen since News Corp first announced its bid plans in June last year.

A spokesman for the prime minister David Cameron welcomed the news: "As the prime minister has said, the business should focus on clearing up the mess and getting its own house in order."

The Labour leader, Ed Miliband, called it "a victory for people up and down this country who have been appalled by the revelations of the phone hacking scandal and the failure of News International to take responsibility".

The BBC's business editor Robert Peston said: "It's a huge humiliation. This was [News Corp's] biggest investment plan of the moment. It was one of the biggest investments they've ever wanted to make.

"It is an extraordinary reversal of corporate fortune... And questions will now be asked whether this is the full extent of the damage to the empire."

Robert Peston added there had been "a lot of speculation" that Mr Murdoch might now want to sell his UK newspapers, but the current state of the industry made them less attractive to potential buyers.

"The question is, who is going to pay him the price that they are worth? He will not want to sell those papers at a loss."

Public inquiry

Mr Cameron has asked Lord Justice Leveson to oversee a public inquiry into the News of the World scandal and media regulation.

In a statement to the Commons, he said the inquiry would begin as "quickly as possible" and would be in two parts - an investigation of wrongdoing in the press and the police, and a review of regulation in the press.

The judge will have powers to call media proprietors, editors and politicians to give evidence under oath, the PM said.

Mr Cameron said those who sanctioned wrongdoing should have no further role in running a media company in the UK.

He said Lord Justice Leveson, assisted by a panel of senior independent figures, would make recommendations for a better way of regulating the press which "supports their freedom, plurality and independence from government but which also demands the highest ethical and professional standards".

He will also make recommendations about the future conduct of relations between politicians and the press.

Mr Cameron told MPs he will require all ministers and civil servants to record meetings with senior editors and media executives to help make the UK government "one of the most open in the world".

Mr Miliband welcomed the proposal, arguing it must be imposed retrospectively, so that he and Mr Cameron publish all details of meetings with media executives dating back to the last general election.

The prime minister was previously criticised for meeting Rupert Murdoch, head of News Corporation, in Downing Street soon after the election, because Mr Murdoch did not walk through the front door.

Newspapers which did not support the government ran stories of "secret meetings".

Earlier at prime minister's questions, Mr Cameron said a "firestorm" was engulfing parts of the media and police, and those who had committed offences must be prosecuted.

Mr Miliband said it was an insult to the family of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, whose phone was allegedly hacked, that Rebekah Brooks was still News International's chief executive.

Mr Cameron responded: "She was right to resign, that resignation should have been accepted. There needs to be root and branch change at this entire organisation.

"What has happened at this company is disgraceful - it's got to be addressed at every level."

On Tuesday, Mr Cameron met Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Labour leader Ed Miliband at Downing Street to discuss the hacking scandal.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson is believed to have updated the three men on the current state of the police inquiry into hacking claims when he visited Number 10

BBC News

alan45
13-07-2011, 15:35
I don't think this will be a end to this bid. The man is a megalomaniac and will try some other method of gaining control of BSkyB. Mark my words

Perdita
15-07-2011, 10:56
Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International, has resigned, the company has confirmed.

Her departure follows days of growing pressure for her to step down as the phone hacking crisis grew.

In a statement, she said she felt a "deep responsibility for the people we have hurt".

Tom Mockridge has been unveiled as Ms Brooks' replacement. He was in charge of News Corporation's Italian broadcasting arm.

Rebekah Brooks was editor of the News of the World when murder victim Milly Dowler's phone was hacked.

She said she wanted to "reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place".

Her statement went on: "I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate.

"This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past."

Ms Brooks, who had been with News International for 22 years, bowed to the international pressure piling up on the company.

Recent developments:

The FBI is investigating reports that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation sought to hack the phones of victims of the 9/11 attacks
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Mr Murdoch defended the company's handling of the crisis
Mr Murdoch and his son James have agreed to stand in front of the Commons media select committee next Tuesday to answer MPs questions on the hacking scandal
Former News of the World executive editor Neil Wallis, who went on to work for the police, was arrested on Thursday
In a message to News International staff, News Corporation's chief executive in Europe James Murdoch hailed Ms Brooks as "one of the outstanding editors of her generation" who "can be proud of many accomplishments as an executive".

"We support her as she takes this step to clear her name," he said.

National apology

Mr Murdoch revealed that News Corp was planning to use national press adverts this weekend to apologise to the nation for wrongdoing at the News of the World.

"We are also sending letters to our commercial partners with an update on the actions we are taking.

"The company has made mistakes. It is not only receiving appropriate scrutiny, but is also responding to unfair attacks by setting the record straight."

Mr Murdoch praised new chief executive Tom Mockridge as "a highly respected and accomplished media executive", who had shown "leadership and integrity" in creating the Sky Italia 24-hour TV news channel in Italy.

Leader of the Labour Party, Ed Miliband, said: "It is right that Rebekah Brooks has resigned. No-one should exercise power without responsibility."

BBC News

Perdita
15-07-2011, 11:04
No doubt a golden handshake was involved :angry:

parkerman
15-07-2011, 16:39
I love the story that has now come out that Mrs Brooks turned down the story of the year last year, M.P.s expenses, because it "wasn't sexy enough". Obviously a great editor!

Katy
16-07-2011, 20:16
could this be the downfall of Mr Cameron! Lots of secrets seem to be coming out, like his meetings with the Murdochs and Coulsen stayin at his house

Dazzle
16-07-2011, 20:45
could this be the downfall of Mr Cameron

We can only hope...

alan45
16-07-2011, 22:49
could this be the downfall of Mr Cameron! Lots of secrets seem to be coming out, like his meetings with the Murdochs and Coulsen stayin at his house

No doubt a golden handshake was involved :angry:

The former Mrs Ross Kemp is rumoured to have received £ 3.5 million qud

Katy
16-07-2011, 22:58
that doesnt surprise me

Perdita
17-07-2011, 20:44
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson has resigned following the phone hacking scandal.

Britain's most senior police officer has faced criticism for hiring former News of the World executive Neil Wallis - who was questioned by police investigating hacking - as an adviser.

Sir Paul said his links to the journalist could hamper investigations.

He said there were lessons to be learned from the affair, but he was leaving with his integrity intact.

He also said he had no knowledge of the extent of the phone hacking.

Home Secretary Theresa May said she was "sorry" he had resigned and thanked him for his work.

Earlier, she said she would address MPs on Monday about her "concerns" over the closeness of the relationship between News International and police.

'Great sadness'
Sir Paul said in a statement: "I have taken this decision as a consequence of the ongoing speculation and accusations relating to the Met's links with News International at a senior level and in particular in relation to Mr Neil Wallis."

He added: "Let me state clearly, I and the people who know me know that my integrity is completely intact.

"I may wish we had done some things differently, but I will not lose sleep over my personal integrity."

Sir Paul has also faced questions over his stay with his wife at a luxury health spa which employed Mr Wallis.

The journalist was working as a public relations consultant for Champneys spa when Sir Paul recuperated from surgery there earlier this year.

The Met acknowledged Sir Paul had stayed there for free while he recovered from a fractured leg caused by an operation to remove a pre-cancerous tumour.

Sir Paul said he had informed Buckingham Palace, Ms May and London Mayor Boris Johnson about his decision.

Mr Johnson said he accepted the resignation with "great sadness and reluctance" and he had no reason to doubt his "complete integrity".

"I believe him to be a fine, passionate and committed public servant who has done a huge amount of good for our city," he said.

'Brave decision'
The chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee - Keith Vaz - said he was "genuinely shocked" by the announcement.

"He was very keen that people realised that his integrity was intact, and I think what he basically said was, he was concerned about the leadership of the Met at this time," he said.

"It is a very brave decision, and I'm shocked by it, actually, because I don't think there's anything in the statement in particular that points to any wrongdoing or inappropriateness on the part of the commissioner."

Earlier on Sunday the former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks was arrested by police investigating phone hacking and corruption.

BBC News

Katy
17-07-2011, 21:15
so another one bites the dust

Perdita
18-07-2011, 05:47
No doubt he will not suffer any financial penalties, such as keeping his pension entitlement etc and possible pay-off.The same as Rebeka Brooks. If I resign because of misconduct, I lose all eligibility for bonuses, gratuities etc. :angry:

Perdita
18-07-2011, 18:35
One of Britain's top police officers insisted his "conscience was clear" after quitting Scotland Yard over the phone-hacking scandal.
John Yates said his decision to resign as assistant commissioner was a matter of great personal frustration. He said he had acted "completely" with integrity.
Mr Yates is understood to have been told he would be suspended by police regulators within half an hour before taking the decision to resign.
Scotland Yard's top counter-terror officer said it was with "great regret that I make this decision after nearly 30 years as a police officer".
He blamed his departure on a "huge amount of inaccurate, ill-informed and on occasion downright malicious gossip".
"This has the potential to be a significant distraction in my current role as the national lead for counter terrorism," he said.
"I see no prospect of this improving in the coming weeks and months as we approach one of the most important events in the history of the Metropolitan Police Service, the 2012 Olympic Games."
He said he would "never forgive myself" if he was unable to give total commitment to protecting London and the country.
Mr Yates added: "It is a matter of great personal frustration that despite my efforts, on a number of occasions, to explain the true facts surrounding my role in these matters since 2009, there remains confusion about what exactly took place."

PA

parkerman
18-07-2011, 18:35
Latest news: No-one has resigned for ten minutes over the affair.

alan45
18-07-2011, 19:48
If he full truth of this sordid affair does ever come out there will be quite a few MPs on both sides of the house will be crapping themselves

alan45
18-07-2011, 21:02
A former News of the World journalist who made phone-hacking allegations against the paper has been found dead.

Sean Hoare had told the New York Times the practice was far more extensive than the paper acknowledged when police first investigated hacking claims.

Hertfordshire Police said the body of a man was found at a property in Langley Road, Watford, on Monday morning.

A police spokesman said the death was currently being treated as unexplained, but was not thought to be suspicious.

Cases referred
The spokesman said: "At 10.40am today [Monday] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street.

"Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

Mr Hoare had told the BBC's Panorama that phone hacking was "endemic" at the News of the World (NoW).

He also said the then NoW editor Andy Coulson had asked him to hack phones - something Mr Coulson has denied.

Chloe O'brien
18-07-2011, 21:20
This whole story gets more disturbing each day.

thestud2k7
19-07-2011, 02:53
Computer hackers have targeted The Sun website, with visitors being redirected to a hoax story about Rupert Murdoch's suicide.

The group LulzSec, which has previously targeted companies including Sony, claimed it carried out the hijack, via messages on Twitter.

Internet users trying to access thesun.co.uk were redirected to new-times.co.uk and a story entitled "Media mogul's body discovered".

It suggested that Mr Murdoch had been found after he had "ingested a large quantity of palladium".

After that site stopped working, The Sun address was re-directing to LulzSec's Twitter account, which claimed to be displaying "hacked internal Sun staff data" in one entry.

A News International spokeswoman confirmed the company was "aware" of what was happening, but made no further comment.

LulzSec is a group of hackers that has claimed responsibility for various high-profile computer attacks on bodies including FBI partner organisations, the CIA, the US Senate and a pornography website.

In the UK it also carried out a distributed denial of service attack - where large numbers of computers overload a target with web requests - on the Serious and Organised Crime Agency website.

The group's name comes from the word lulz, which is online slang for laughter at someone else's expense. Their logo is a cartoon man in a top hat and monocle, holding a glass of wine.

source: yahoo news uk

alan45
22-07-2011, 00:41
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NEEvGKb2COc/Tibo2iehOxI/AAAAAAAANDg/H18Ptg4NHSY/s1600/cats.jpg

Now we know why Fiz hasnt been on the cobbles. Its just a pity that Rebekkah isnt behind bars

thestud2k7
22-07-2011, 00:55
thats freaky i havent noticed that before

parkerman
22-07-2011, 10:35
Now we know why Fiz hasnt been on the cobbles. Its just a pity that Rebekkah isnt behind bars

Yes, one of them is currently protesting about being suspected of a crime she didn't commit and of perverting the course of justice. Oh, and so is the other one.

But only one of them has ever been arrested for assaulting a soap star.

layla
22-07-2011, 20:58
I am sick to the back teeth with this phone hacking
. The only thing to come out of this is, everyone making money out of the tax payers.
Everyone knows the truth, why do we have to pay these toffs to listen to lies.

alan45
23-07-2011, 11:39
James Hipwell, 45, alleged the illegal practice was "endemic" at the Daily Mirror while he worked under the editorship of Piers Morgan between 1998 and 2000.

The 45-year-old claimed he saw show business reporters regularly intercept voicemail messages while he worked next to them on the paper's business section.

He told the Independent newspaper: "You know what people around you are doing.

"They would call a celebrity with one phone and when it was answered they would then hang up.

"By that stage the other phone would be into their [the celebrity's] voicemail and they would key in the code, 9999 or 0000. I saw that a lot."

Mr Hipwell said he would be willing to give evidence to the public inquiry into hacking ordered by David Cameron and headed by Lord Justice Brian Leveson.

He said the death of former News Of The World showbiz journalist Sean Hoare had been a "game-changer" in his decision to speak out.*

Mr Hoare, who was found dead at his Hertfordshire home on Monday, blew the whistle on hacking at the now defunct News Of The World.

Mr Hipwell said: "He was a good bloke and I thought he was treated disgracefully. He is the only one who has had the balls to say that this was going on.*

"I take the view he was right. I know he was flawed, but he was treated very badly and now he's dead. I'm sick of all the lies."

Trinity Mirror, the publisher of the Mirror, hit back at Mr Hipwell's claims saying in a statement: "Our journalists work within the criminal law and the Press Complaints Commission code of conduct."

Mr Hipwell was sacked from the Mirror in 2000 over the "City Slickers" scandal in which he was accused of buying shares before tipping them in the paper.

He was convicted of market manipulation and served 59 days in jail.*

Meanwhile, witnesses who gave evidence about phone hacking in the trial of Tommy Sheridan are to be investigated over allegations that they may have committed perjury.

Strathclyde Police is looking at whether certain witnesses lied to the courts in the former MSPs own perjury trial last year as part of a "full" investigation into phone hacking in Scotland.

Among the people who gave evidence were Andy Coulson, the former NOTW editor; Bob Bird, the then editor of the Scottish edition of the newspaper; and reporter Douglas Wight.

News International has confirmed it had been contacted by police in connection with the investigation.

alan45
26-07-2011, 14:52
Trinity Mirror has announced a review of editorial "controls and procedures" following the phone-hacking scandal.

The company said it was being conducted in the light of the current environment rather than a specific allegation.

The BBC has found evidence of possible hacking at the Sunday Mirror, and there are separate claims Daily Mirror journalists hacked voicemails.

The group said its journalists work within the criminal law and Press Complaints Commission code of conduct.

BBC's Newsnight programme has spoken to a journalist who worked on the Sunday Mirror in the past decade who claimed to have witnessed routine phone hacking in the newsroom.

The source said celebrities including actress Liz Hurley and footballer Rio Ferdinand were targeted and the technique was used on a daily basis.

'Clear position'
This weekend, former Daily Mirror journalist James Hipwell told an Australian newspaper he is willing to testify that in the late 1990s Mirror journalists were told to go through the voicemails of celebrities to look for stories.

Hipwell has served time in prison for writing about companies whose shares he owned.

A Trinity Mirror spokesman said: "These are totally unsubstantiated allegations and our position is clear: all our journalists work within the criminal law and the Press Complaints Commission Code of Conduct."

The spokesman confirmed the review of editorial controls and procedures was announced on Monday, and said it would apply to all titles across the group which also include the People, Daily Record and more than 160 regional newspapers.

The company's director of corporate communications, Nick Fullagar, added: "In light of recent events, we thought it was timely to look at our controls and procedures. Clearly, after any significant event, it's just good corporate governance."

Trinity Mirror last carried out a review of editorial procedures in 2004 following the Hutton Report, the findings of Lord Hutton's inquiry into the death of David Kelly, a biological warfare expert and former UN weapons inspector in Iraq.

Meanwhile, the company confirmed it had taken on law firm Herbert Smith to help with preparations ahead of the Leveson inquiry - the wide-ranging judge-led investigation into wrongdoing in the media and police.

alan45
26-07-2011, 22:17
On a lighter note

Rupert Murdoch has released a statement saying that he is touched by some of the messages left on Amy Winehouses phone

alan45
29-07-2011, 18:26
The private investigator at the centre of the News of the World phone-hacking row said he "acted on the instructions of others", his lawyers have said.

In a statement Glenn Mulcaire's legal team said any suggestion he acted unilaterally was "untrue".

It comes after the mother of murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne was told she may have been phone hacked by Mulcaire.

The investigator was jailed in 2007 after admitting to phone hacking while he was working for the paper.

The statement said: "As an employee he [Mulcaire] acted on the instructions of others.

"There were also occasions when he understood his instructions were from those who genuinely wished to assist in solving crimes.

"Any suggestion that he acted in such matters unilaterally is untrue. In the light of the ongoing police investigation, he cannot say any more."

parkerman
29-07-2011, 19:20
"There were also occasions when he understood his instructions were from those who genuinely wished to assist in solving crimes."

Silly me, I thought that was the police's job, not the News of the World's.

alan45
04-08-2011, 21:03
The publishers of the Daily Mail are to carry out a review of their editorial controls and procedures, amid the ongoing phone-hacking scandal.

In a statement, Associated Newspapers said its head of legal services was handling the review.

A Guardian article quotes sources saying the review is not linked to the phone-hacking scandal, but Associated Newspapers will not confirm that.

Daily Mail editor-in-chief Paul Dacre says he has never countenanced hacking.

In a statement, Associated Newspapers said: "Liz Hartley, head of editorial legal services, who has responsibility for overseeing compliance with the company's policy on journalistic standards, has asked Eddie Young ...to join her to assist in a review of our editorial controls and procedures."

Perdita
09-08-2011, 07:08
Rebekah Brooks is apparently still being paid by News International, it has emerged.

More than three weeks after she handed in her resignation on July 15 it has transpired that she has not yet fully left Rupert Murdoch's empire.
The former News of the World editor may have stood down as CEO of the company, but her resignation as director is still 'underway', a spokesman for the business said.
And questions put to Mr Murdoch's company and Mrs Brooks' representatives about whether the 43-year-old is still on the business's payroll have been met with a wall of silence.
Rebekah Brooks has allegedly been told by Rupert Murdoch to travel until the scandal quietens down and then he will find her another role
A NI spokeswoman said: 'News International declines to comment on the financial arrangements of any individual.'
Her representative said he would not comment on financial affairs.

The latest Companies House report about positions in Rupert Murdoch's sprawling News International empire shows that Mrs Brooks is still listed as the director.
Companies must inform Companies House, the official government register of UK companies, about any changes made to directors within 14 days of the change.
A spokesman for Companies House said: 'Up to this moment in time Companies House has not received the required documentation which would allow us to formally alter the public record to show that Ms Rebekah Brooks has indeed resigned from News International Newspapers Limited.

Rupert Murdoch's daughter Elisabeth declines 'inappropriate' nomination to News Corp board

'When and if we do, it may take us a few days to complete the approved paper process checks before this is formally recorded.

'We advise all interested parties to be vigilant regarding any such changes to the register.'

But a News International spokeswoman insisted it was only a matter of time before her resignation as director was accepted and appropriate records would be updated. 'Rebekah Brooks resigned as CEO of the Company on 15 July 2011,' she said.

'The process for her to resign as a director of the Company is currently underway and will be filed at Companies House shortly.'

Rumours have also appeared on the internet suggesting the media tycoon has advised Mrs Brooks to 'travel the world' until the hacking and bribery scandal quietens down and then he'll find her another role.

The Daily Telegraph reported that a source claimed to the newspaper: 'My understanding is that Rupert has told her to travel the world on him for a year and then he will find a job for her when the scandal has died down.'
Both news International and Mrs Brooks' representative refused to comment on these allegations, or deny them.

The comments will stoke the fury of the public, hacking victims and MPs who have been outraged at the litany of allegations that have surfaced about News International.
Allegations have been made that while Mrs Brooks was editor of the NoW journalists at the Sunday tabloid hacked into murdered teenager Milly Dowler's voicemail.
Mrs Brooks has firmly denied any knowledge and branded the actions of the journalists, who allegedly hacked into thousands of people's phones, as 'unthinkable'.
After repeated calls for her resignation, Mrs Brooks finally handed in her notice.

On July 15 Mrs Brooks announced in an internal email to staff that she was standing down, saying: 'I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt.
'I now need to concentrate on correcting the distortions and rebutting the allegations about my record as a journalist.'
She indicated that earlier attempts to resign had not been accepted but on this occasion Mr Murdoch and his son James, chairman and chief executive of News International, finally accepted it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023741/Phone-hacking-scandal-Is-Rebekah-Brooks-News-International-payroll.html#ixzz1UVcvz5XB

Perdita
23-11-2011, 15:33
James Murdoch has resigned from the boards of the publishing units within News Corp's British newspaper arm, which used to include the now-defunct News of the World tabloid at the centre of the phone hacking scandal, regulatory filings show.

Murdoch, son of media mogul Rupert and deputy chief operating officer of News Corp, remains chairman of News International, the News Corp unit that houses its British newspapers, and a member of the Times editorial board.

The News International unit has been damaged this year by the revelation that people working for the popular Sunday tabloid hacked into the phones of thousands to generate news.

Slow-burning investigations into the matter became front-page national news when it was revealed in July that one of the victims was missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler, who appeared to have been picking up voicemails but was later found murdered.

Ex-News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks resigned as chief executive of News International the following week, and was replaced by Tom Mockridge, the former head of News Corp-owned Sky Italia, on July 15.

"Following the appointment of Tom Mockridge as CEO of News International, in September James Murdoch stepped down from the boards of a number of News International subsidiary companies including News Group Newspapers (NGN) and Times Newspapers Ltd (TNL)," News International said in a statement.

Mockridge replaced Murdoch on the two company boards.

The filings show that Murdoch resigned on September 13 from Times Newspapers Ltd and on September 19 from NGN. September 13 was the date on which he discovered he would be recalled by a British parliamentary committee to answer more questions.

NGN is the company that has been sued by many of the phone-hacking victims, including Hollywood star Jude Law and his ex-girlfriend, actress Sienna Miller.

Media lawyer Mark Stephens said he did not believe the move had any legal implications for the phone-hacking cases. "He's either liable for what happened under his watch, or he's not," he told Reuters.

James Murdoch survived a vote to remain on the News Corp board last month only thanks to support from his family and another loyal shareholder.

Next week, he faces shareholders of British satellite broadcaster BSkyB, who will have to decide whether he should remain as non-executive chairman.

Some News Corp investors would like to see the company sell its newspapers, in which media interest is disproportionate to the small contribution they make in revenues and profits.

Ivor Gaber, professor of political journalism at London's City University, said the move could indicate that Murdoch was still worried over his own exposure to the phone hacking scandal or that News Corp was preparing to sell its UK newspaper holdings.

"The Sun is now the only thing keeping the ship afloat, in commercial terms," he told Reuters.

Reuters

parkerman
22-02-2012, 23:02

Later this year or early next year, we will see the launch of the Sun on Sunday....

You read it here first!

alan45
27-02-2012, 19:21
£600,000 to Charlotte Church just because the NOTW allegedly hacked her phone. Lose two legs in Afghanistan and get peanuts. FN scandalous

evole
27-02-2012, 20:16
£600,000 to Charlotte Church just because the NOTW allegedly hacked her phone. Lose two legs in Afghanistan and get peanuts. FN scandalous

OMFG!! So true, so true. The priorities are way f%$ked up!!