PDA

View Full Version : The Corrie Years

Perdita
05-07-2011, 16:58
The Corrie Years
Episode: 1 of 3
Wednesday, 20 July 2011, 7:30PM - 8:00PM

New three part series, The Corrie Years, focuses on 50 years of storylines which have been national talking points throughout its history. It touches on the plots and characters that have made headlines and courted controversy, broken new ground in television drama, challenged taboos and reflected the seismic changes in society which have occurred since the very beginning of the soap in 1960. Narrated by David Morrissey, the programmes will exclusively feature previously unseen footage, cast interviews both past and present and classic highlights from the show. This series celebrates Britain’s longest running TV soap and provides a closer look at how the show has continually produced some of the most talked-about storylines ever seen.

Ep 1: The Corrie Years: The Headline Makers

The first episode concentrates on stories that over the past five decades have made the headlines, including one that made its way from fictional Weatherfield to the House of Commons.

1963 Sheila’s Suicide: After the story was leaked and reported by the papers that factory worker Sheila Birtles was to take her own life in 1963, Coronation Street hit the front pages of the tabloids. Margaret Morris, the [soap’s] first female producer, went out on a limb for this story but was not prepared for the backlash in the press. With the controversial scenes already filmed - and the episode due to go out the day the news broke - Granada cut the programme short as it aired. The following episode was hastily re-written and Sheila’s life was saved. Eileen Mayers who played Sheila Birtles shares her memories of filming that final scene and her shock at leaving the studios to be met by a mass of journalists, as well as her disappointment that the original storyline was never aired.

1983 Deirdre’s Affair: When Deirdre Barlow embarked on an affair with Mike Baldwin in 1983, Coronation Street found itself receiving more column inches than it had done for years, with the papers’ phone polls and agony aunts asking their readers if she should leave husband Ken, or stay for the sake of youngster Tracy. The climactic scene in which Ken comes face to face with his nemesis Baldwin on his own doorstep prompted a front page splash, and changed the way in which tabloids reported on soaps. Anne Kirkbride, who plays Deirdre, tells the programme: “Ken and Deirdre had a nice and pleasant marriage, but of course it’s Coronation Street and people don’t want to watch pleasant things, they want to watch things go wrong.”

1998 The Weatherfield One: This story was based on a friend of Carolyn Reynolds, the executive producer of the show at the time. Viewers witnessed a cruel injustice when innocent Deirdre Rashid was jailed for crimes she didn’t commit after falling for conman Jon Lindsay. The impact of the storyline caused a rare occurrence of soap life impacting on real life when Deirdre’s custodial sentence sparked a media frenzy, and people all over the country jumped on board the campaign to free Deirdre. The storyline even got as far as Downing Street, with MPs also discussing the miscarriage of justice. Ultimately, Deirdre was released after serving three weeks in prison when the real culprit was caged, and received a warm welcome back in Weatherfield. One newspaper even took the credit for freeing Deidre - even though her release had already been written months beforehand!

2000 Sarah Lou’s Baby: Sarah Louise Platt shocked the nation when a trip to the doctors with mum Gail revealed that the 13 year old was actually five months pregnant. After being praised by government ministers for raising the issue of teenage pregnancy and for showing the hardships that young mothers face, Coronation Street was then applauded by its peers when the plot won Best Storyline at the British Soap Awards.

2009 Sally’s Cancer Battle: After bracing himself to tell his wife Sally that he was leaving her for Molly Dobbs on Christmas Day 2009, Kevin Webster was stunned into silence when Sally broke her devastating news first that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Actress Sally Dynevor, who plays Sally Webster, researched the storyline herself, but found the scripts drew a parallel with her own life - when she too found a lump.

The Corrie Years is series produced and directed by Kerry Allison and executive produced by Mark Robinson.

TaintedLove
07-07-2011, 06:10
Looks brilliant - can`t wait to watch it.
Thanks for the heads up.

Perdita
13-07-2011, 13:51
The Corrie YearsEpisode: 2 of 3
Wednesday, 27 July 2011, 7:30PM - 8:00PM ITV1

Ep 2: The Corrie Years: The Firsts

New three part series, The Corrie Years, focuses on 50 years of storylines which have been national talking points throughout its history. It touches on the plots and characters that have made headlines and courted controversy, broken new ground in television drama, challenged taboos and reflected the seismic changes in society which have occurred since the very beginning of the soap in 1960. Narrated by David Morrissey, the programmes will exclusively feature previously unseen footage, cast interviews both past and present and classic highlights from the show. This series celebrates Britain’s longest running TV soap and provides a closer look at how the show has continually produced some of the most talked-about storylines ever seen.

Ep 2: The Corrie Years: The Firsts

The second episode focuses on the storylines and episodes that were the first of their kind to hit TV screens, leading the way in the soap genre and reflecting, and on occasion even sometimes helping to develop, changes in society’s views on moral issues.

2000 – The First Live Special: The cast and crew of Coronation Street were on tenterhooks as they prepared to celebrate their Ruby anniversary by staging the first live episode in almost 40 years. Chris Gascoyne who plays Peter Barlow was the newest member of the cast and recalls: ”I was absolutely terrified, I thought I might be that man who comes into Coronation Street and after 40 years pushes the pub walls down and says, ‘Sorry, it’s all gone wrong.’”

1998 – The First Transsexual Character: The introduction of soap’s first ever transsexual character, Hayley Patterson, led not only to the forming of one of Coronation Street’s most favourite couples, but is also said to have had a positive impact on the rights and public opinion of transgender people in this country.

1995 – The First Hour Long Special: To mark Corrie’s 35th anniversary, writers scripted the first ever hour long episode in which viewers saw Raquel embark on an emotional rollercoaster which ended with her finally saying “I do” to Curly Watts.

2000 – The First Two Hander: Five years later to mark the dawning of a new millennium (and four years after Raquel left him) Curly opened the door to his estranged wife, and the first ever two hander, giving viewers 45 minutes of uninterrupted performances from Kevin Kennedy and Sarah Lancashire. Talking about the episode, Kevin Kennedy who played Norman ‘Curly’ Watts, says: ”It was difficult to do and it needs a lot of concentration to be totally focused on each other. To bring Coronation Street into a new millennium was an honour, a very humbling experience and one I’m very proud of.”

2001 – The First Corrie Gay Character: Todd Grimshaw moved into Coronation Street in 2001 and was an immediate hit with the girls, but he would later find himself confused about his sexuality. After Corrie saw its first gay kiss in 2003, Todd finally plucked up the courage to come out in 2004, breaking fiancée Sarah Platt’s heart in the process.

The Corrie Years is series produced and directed by Kerry Allison and executive produced by Mark Robinson.

Perdita
19-07-2011, 12:18
The Corrie YearsEpisode: 3 of 3
Wednesday, 3 August 2011, 7:30PM - 8:00PM

Ep 3: The Corrie Years: The Changing Face Of Britain

In the final episode we see how events in the outside world played a part in creating some key moments in Weatherfield’s history, and tell the stories about the impact they had.

1981 – Ken and Deirdre Get Married: Britain was preparing itself for two weddings of the year in 1981 – both falling within the same week in July. Two days after Ken Barlow and Deirdre Langton became man and wife in Weatherfield, Prince Charles and Lady Diana tied the knot in a slightly more lavish ceremony at St Paul’s Cathedral in London. Anne Kirkbride who plays Deirdre says “There were an awful lot of viewers for that episode and it was amazing to think that we were actually attracting as much attention as the royal wedding.”

1978 – Strike on Coronation Street: When Mike Baldwin sacked cleaner Hilda Ogden over the small matter of a new brush, Ivy Tilsley led the workers of his factory out to the picket line in protest. Just one year later however, a real-life strike by technicians at ITV meant that Corrie was off the air for two and a half months until matters were resolved.

1960 – Revolution at the Barlows: Ken Barlow represented the typical 1960s student movement seen growing on the streets of Britain – much to the annoyance of his father, Frank. When Ken followed his fellow campaigners on a Ban the Bomb march in 1961, he echoed the feelings of many protesters in this country at that time, who fought against the introduction of nuclear weapons. William Roache who plays Ken Barlow says “Coronation Street is not a documentary, it’s a drama, however we need to be as truthful as possible and it reflected the worries and concerns of the day… Ken doing that was very much representing the feeling of the time.”

1995 – Tracy’s Drug Shame: Britain’s drug crisis worsened in the mid-nineties thanks to a huge rise in the use of Ecstasy – and in Weatherfield, Tracey Barlow also found herself in grave danger as a consequence of this, when her wild child days took a darker turn.

1997 – Emily’s Eco Protest: Emily Bishop’s nephew Spider turned up on her doorstep in as an archetypal eco warrior, straight from the Swampy school of environmentalism – but it was his Aunty Emily’s tree top protest during the battle to save Weatherfield’s Red Rec that really gave the campaign the publicity it needed.

Perdita
20-07-2011, 11:26
Helen Worth has said that she was excited by the Coronation Street stunt where her character Gail was driven into a canal.

The long-serving Corrie actress was appearing on ITV1 breakfast show Daybreak to promote a new three-part retrospective The Corrie Years.

Worth said: "It was a great stunt that, wasn't it? Yeah, Jack [P Shepherd] and I stood and watched it as it was being done, it was very exciting.

"It kind of rocketed off - I think they did it in one [take], I think they had to do it in one. I think they only had one rocket!"

Katy
20-07-2011, 21:07
i enjoyed it, was interesting seeing some of the old storylines, i cant believe that free the weaterhfield one was in 1998, i really remember that like it was yesterday!

thestud2k7
21-07-2011, 02:47
i enjoyed it but it should been on for longer

i love programmes like these

Perdita
21-07-2011, 05:53
I enjoyed it too and it did bring back lots of memories :)