PDA

View Full Version : Aidan Foster

Perdita
18-06-2011, 13:54
Neighbours could be in line for its first ever gay couple after casting a love interest for gay character Chris Pappas (James Mason).

Bob Morley has been cast as male nurse Aidan Foster in the soap, a love interest for Pappas.

The former Home and Away actor said that it made no difference whether or not his character was gay when he signed on to Neighbours.

He told the Herald Sun: "I don't see it as a big deal that the character is gay.

"It certainly doesn't define him and what the writers have planned is really interesting and authentic."

Morley's contract is currently for six months, but it may be extended in the future.

Neighbours' executive producer Susan Bower said that it was only a matter of time before Mason's character had a love interest.

She explained: "To be true to the Chris character, now he is a regular in storylines, we knew at some stage he needed to meet someone.

"How it unfolds, all will be revealed. However, I think viewers will find the story compelling."

Perdita
18-06-2011, 13:59
This is him :)

LostVoodoo
19-06-2011, 14:45
aw, how cute is he! i hope neighbours do this well, they don't have much of a track record with gay characters...

Dazzle
20-06-2011, 13:48
I used to love Bob Morley when he was in Home and Away - I can't remember his character's name, but he played Peter's son and Belle's boyfriend.

I'm looking forward to how Neighbours treats a gay couple, especially after the fuss in Australia when H&A's Charlie turned gay.

Perdita
20-06-2011, 14:13
He played Drew Curtis :)

tammyy2j
22-06-2011, 15:42
Yes he does look familiar

Perdita
13-10-2011, 18:57
Neighbours star James Mason has revealed details of his character Chris Pappas's forthcoming romance storyline, confirming that fans can expect "a slow build-up" as the mechanic starts getting to know Aidan Foster.

Chris is the first gay male regular to appear on Neighbours and, as announced by show bosses in the summer, Erinsborough Hospital nurse Aidan will become a love interest for him in a future plot.

Aidan, played by former Home and Away actor Bob Morley, has already appeared on screens in both Australia and the UK. It has now emerged that fans will see Aidan and Chris meet as a result of an incident which takes place in Australia's season finale in December.

Speaking about the plotline for the first time, Mason told Digital Spy: "Let's just say that Chris is involved in a potentially life-threatening experience which will also have a major impact on some of the other characters. And through this incident, he meets Aidan."

He continued: "Their relationship will be treated just like any other heterosexual relationship. It's a very slow build-up for these two because Chris isn't someone who shows his feelings openly, this is all new to him. So in terms of seeing them as a couple as such, that will happen early next year."

Asked whether the pair will have a relationship or just a close friendship, he replied: "It's definitely a romance; however, whether it's long term, that's up to the writers. You'll have to wait and see."

Mason also said that he is enjoying working with Morley on the storyline.

"[He's] fantastic. As actors, it is very challenging and exciting at the same time, and because of this, we have developed a connection," he explained.

"We're rapt that the characters are going down this path and based on the feedback I've had to Chris coming out, I think viewers are going to like why the relationship unfolds - well, I hope they do."

Neighbours bosses first introduced Chris to Erinsborough in early 2010.

Perdita
22-02-2012, 06:48
Neighbours newcomer Aidan Foster comes to the forefront of the soap on UK screens in the coming days as his romance storyline with Chris Pappas begins.

Aidan is clearly interested in Chris (James Mason) after meeting him at the hospital, but when he tries to score a date, he's rejected by the mechanic - who doesn't want to upset his father by embarking on a gay relationship.

Despite protestations from those close to him, Chris is determined that he's done the right thing - but when Aidan starts to take an interest in another guy, a jealous Chris wonders whether he's missed his chance...

Former Home and Away star Bob Morley, who plays Aidan, recently chatted to Digital Spy about the storyline.

What can we expect from the character of Aidan?
"Aidan is confident and comfortable with his sexuality, who he is, and where he's going. He is a bit older than Chris and has been openly gay for quite a while, and unlike Chris, his family were very accepting. He's had a lot of romances, so he is definitely more experienced than Chris."

We first met Aidan a while ago, but it's taken a few months for his storyline to begin. Did you like the way they eased you in?
"Yeah, the slow introduction worked really well for the character and also for me. Aidan comes into the street incrementally and he isn't defined by his sexuality."

We're about to see Aidan start taking an interest in Chris. How does Aidan feel about him?
"I think that Aidan is endeared by Chris because of the time he spent in hospital caring for him. He saw a side of Chris that he is really fond of, and he thinks Chris is sweet and also naïve to the world in terms of being gay."

Lucas starts trying to play matchmaker between Aidan and Chris, doesn't he?
"Yeah, there are some funny scenes where Lucas is trying find out whether Aidan is gay or straight. It was a lot of fun playing around in those scenes and Scott Major is a funny guy naturally. The three of us bounced around ideas and it's nice to see the lighter side of what is considered a pretty intense subject."

How does Aidan feel when he's turned down by Chris?
"For Aidan it's a knock back, but it doesn't hurt too much. He takes it in his stride and like he says, 'You don't know if you don't ask'. Aidan is the kind of person who's very much like that - he'll seize the day, and if it works, great. If not, move on and don't dwell on it."

The two of them end up meeting again and play some volleyball. What's the atmosphere like?
"In that instance coming from Aidan's perspective it could be awkward since Chris has already rejected him, but Aidan is a little bit older and wiser. He is just having fun, while for Chris, it means something else."

Does Aidan realise how hurt Chris is when he starts taking an interest in another guy?
"I think Aidan is slightly aware, but he has already been rejected by Chris, so has no real reason to think he would be hurt by him doing this."

We know this is leading up to a relationship story for Chris and Aidan. How long does it take for them to get to that point?
"It certainly picks up pace from now, until a major turning point in the relationship…"

How have you found working with James Mason?
"James is a great guy - he's lots of fun to work with. He is really enthusiastic and cares a lot about his character, and in turn makes me care about our characters' relationship."

Are there any restrictions when it comes to portraying a gay romance on Neighbours?
"The writers and producers are treating Aidan and Chris's relationship as they would any other relationship in the boundaries of the G-rating."

We know that you're on a six-month guest contract. Would you be interested in sticking around for longer?
"Yeah, I would be quite happy to stay around, but the storyline would have to move beyond their sexuality for viewers to invest in them. There has to be more to Aidan and Chris than just being the gay couple."

How are you finding your time at Neighbours in general?
"It's been great. Everyone is very accommodating and I found it very easy to fit into the rhythm of the show."

Many fans will know you from Home and Away. How do the two shows compare?
"The filming pace is very similar, so having done Home and Away has certainly helped. The other thing is they are filmed in different cities - Home and Away in Sydney and Neighbours in Melbourne. As a Melbourne boy, I feel a lot more at home and relaxed. I can finish work and go home to my girlfriend, and catch up with my family."

Dazzle
22-02-2012, 16:20
I'm liking seeing more of Bob Morley on-screen :wub:

Perdita
03-04-2012, 15:07
Bob Morley has praised Neighbours' producers for their portrayal of his character Aidan Foster's first on-screen kiss with Chris Pappas.

The pair have been dating for a few weeks, but are finally seen sharing a romantic moment as they attend a house party together in an upcoming episode.

Morley told TV Week: "The boys are there at the party and just share this intimate moment, as couples do.

"I take my hat off to the producers of Neighbours for going with it and not sensationalising it. There is still a taboo around the subject, but there shouldn't be at all."

The former Home and Away actor said that he and co-star James Mason, who plays Chris, wanted the kiss to look natural.

He explained: "James and I put a lot of time and effort into getting the physicality between our characters right. We didn't want to come across as two straight guys pretending to be gay."

Neighbours airs these scenes next week on Eleven in Australia and in May on Channel 5 in the UK.

alan45
10-04-2012, 04:59
Neighbours executive producer Susan Bower has revealed that she is "proud" of the way the show handled its first ever male gay kiss.

This week, the long-running soap aired scenes in Australia where Chris Pappas (James Mason) passionately embraced on-screen boyfriend Adan Foster (Bob Morley).

Bower said that she wanted to treat the kiss like any other on the show, telling the Herald Sun: "It's not sensationalist or token - we are very proud of the way we have done this."

In 2004, Neighbours faced a backlash when they televised a lesbian kiss between schoolgirls Sky Mangel and Lana Crawford, but last night's episode only invoked praise on social networking sites.

One fan wrote on Twitter: "Well done to @james_mason15 for showing its ok to be gay. Be proud."

Morley has previously said of the kissing scenes: "The boys are there at the party and just share this intimate moment, as couples do. I take my hat off to the producers of Neighbours for going with it and not sensationalising it. There is still a taboo around the subject, but there shouldn't be at all."

He also said that he and Mason "put a lot of time and effort into getting the physicality" between their characters right, saying that they didn't want to "come across as two straight guys pretending to be gay".

Neighbours airs these scenes in the UK in May.

alan45
12-06-2012, 02:14
Neighbours star Bob Morley has returned to the soap as Aidan Foster.

The actor has been away on a ten-week break, but has returned to Ramsay Street with a new hairstyle.

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/24/618x542/bob-morley-new-look.jpg
© Channel 5

Morley's usual shoulder length hair has been swapped for a shorter cut, due to the actor's role in the film Blinder, according to Channel 5.

The actor's return sees gay nurse Aidan re-encounter love interest Chris Pappas (James Mason).

However, the pair have recently broken up, which Morley feels gives a good reason for his dramatic new haircut.

"I think it works that the character comes back looking a little different after a break-up, it's what you do," said Morley.

On the couple's break-up, he added: "That's Ramsay Street for you, one minute it's on, then it's off. However, I don't think the producers have me back for my nursing skills.

"Lots more to come with those two."

The break-up scenes between the pair are due to air in the UK this week.

Mason and Morley became the actors to film the first ever gay kiss on Neighbours earlier this year.