PDA

View Full Version : Popstar to Operastar 2011

Perdita
08-05-2011, 06:15
He was promised the bright lights of Hollywood and hailed as the next Justin Bieber.

But X Factor winner Joe McElderry is more likely to end up following in the footsteps of Darius Campbell after agreeing to be a contestant on ITV1’s Popstar to Operastar.

In what will be considered a poignant end to his short-lived career, Joe will appear alongside other former pop vocalists hoping to become opera singers.

Joe’s the first big signing for the show, hosted by Myleene Klass and Alan *Titchmarsh, which I hear will also feature A-ha legend Morten Harket when it returns to our screens this summer.

But Joe, 19, is truly excited about the *opportunity to appear on the show won by Pop Idol reject Darius last year.

My perfectly placed source reveals: “Joe loves to sing – he’s not bothered about what people will say. He will prosper from doing a show like this.

“He’s incredibly talented and thinks appearing on the show could open up a whole new *chapter.

“He’s always loved the West End and thrill of performing live – it’s when he’s at his best.”

But it’s not just his professional life *Geordie Joe is getting sorted – he’s investing some of his X Factor cash in property.

I’m told Joe, whose deal with Simon *Cowell’s Syco record company will not be renewed, has just completed on a plush flat in Newcastle.

He’s also hunting for a London bolthole.

My source adds: “*Considering the deal with Syco has just fizzled out, Joe’s in a great place right now.

“He’s investing his money wisely and making sure he has something to show for all of his hard work.”

Joe can sing live and is talented – so he’ll do well on *Popstar to *Operastar.

Good luck to him.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/05/08/joe-mcelderry-enters-another-talent-show-this-time-popstar-to-operstar-115875-23114539/#ixzz1Ljd7bvUy

tammyy2j
12-05-2011, 17:28
Former X Factor champion Joe McElderry, Cheryl Baker and Midge Ure are among the Popstar to Operastar lineup.

Joining them on the reality show will be ex-Pussycat Doll Melody Thornton, Toploader's Joe Washbourn and Erasure's Andy Bell.

Completing the lineup are Steps star Claire Richards and US soul singer Jocelyn Brown.

The ITV series pits pop singers against each other in a competition to learn opera singing. Darius Campbell triumphed in the final of the first series last year.

Myleene Klass will return to host the show, but the judging lineup - which last year included Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, Meat Loaf, Katherine Jenkins and Rolando Villazon - has not been revealed yet.

McElderry was reportedly dropped from Simon Cowell's Syco record label last month.

Popstar to Operastar returns to ITV1 in the summer.

Perdita
06-06-2011, 05:39
Midge Ure has become the first celebrity to leave Popstar to Operastar.

The Ultravox frontman and Live Aid mastermind exited the competition after being voted into a sing-off with Pussycat Doll Melody Thornton by viewers.

After performing 'Questa O Quella' from Verdi's Rigoletto again for the competition's judges, Ure initially appeared to have kept his spot on the ITV show, as panelists Rolando Villazon and Vanessa-Mae gave him their backing.

In their comments, Villazon branded Ure as the "performer that felt more comfortable", while Vanessa Mae stated that the 57-year-old "took a risk and really had fun and made me believe".

However, their co-judge Simon Callow sided with Thornton after declaring that she "embraced the extra possibilities" of her performance of 'Habanera' from Carmen, leaving head panellist Katherine Jenkins to cast the deciding vote.

"I feel lilke they definitely both improved," she said. "But the biggest improvement for me and I feel like [the person] if we were to give them another song, they d come out with even more, was Melody."

His fate sealed, Ure joked to host Myleene Klass that he would "have to go back to [his] day job" of "saving the world."

He added: "I've probably done my little bit for opera... no-one wants to go out in the first round, but I think I did a reasonable job."

Bucks Fizz singer Cheryl Baker and X Factor winner Joe McElderry were earlier voted through to the next stage of the contest by viewers.

Erasure lead singer Andy Bell, Steps favourite Claire Richards, Toploader's Joe Washbourn and vocalist Jocelyn Brown will perform for the first time next week.

Popstar To Operastar returns Sunday at 8pm on ITV1.

Perdita
20-06-2011, 11:42
has become the third celebrity to leave Popstar to Operastar.

The ex-Pussycat Doll faced off against Joseph Washbourn in a showdown for judges' votes after both stars finished bottom of the public vote for the second time in three weeks.

After the pair repeated their performances, host Myleene Klass turned to panelist Rolando Villazón and asked for him to vote for his favourite competitor.

"Both improved tonight," he stated, before clarifying that "the performer that put together more things and went a step further is Joseph".

Next was Simon Callow, who also voted for the Toploader frontman for achieving "an even better engagement with the words [and] the whole meaning".

Thornton, however did receive the backing of judge Vanessa-Mae for having "actually delivered" with her performance, but the night's head judge Katherine Jenkins sealed the 26-year-old's fate by choosing to spare Washbourn.

"Honestly, I just tried to relax as much as possible and I'm not here for me," Thornton told Klass after her elimination. "I want people to be inspired and do something that they wouldnt ordinarily do."

Admitting that she was somewhat out of her comfort zone on the show, Thornton added: "I think I'm not in my home, and I think that I could have used some more support... I'm so grateful for everyone who did support me.

"But once again I really want people in the world to step outside themselves... and if you're a real artist, you will make an example of yourself."

Popstar to Operastar continues next Sunday at 8pm on ITV1.

Perdita
27-06-2011, 06:07
Andy Bell has become the fourth celebrity to leave Popstar To Operastar.

The Erasure lead failed to win over the judges after landing bottom of the public vote alongside Toploader's Joseph Washbourn.

Bell's fate was seemingly sealed after he forgot his words and appeared to lose confidence in his performance during a final sing-off against Washbourn.

As host Myleene Klass threw voting over to the panel, judge Katherine Jenkins stated that she had "hoped [the decision] wouldn't be as clear cut", before accepting that eliminating Bell was the "totally fair thing to do".

Jenkins's sentiment was echoed by Vanessa-Mae, who argued that "nerves got the better of" Bell and opted to vote him out.

Simon Callow also decided to spare Washbourn - who has finished in the bottom of the public vote for the previous two weeks - for injecting a "wonderful extra surge of emotion and passion" into his performance.

With the decision made, the night's head judge Rolando Villazón confirmed that he would have also saved Washbourn, but left with Bell some parting words of encouragement.

"Andy, it's very hard what you attempted, you should be very proud of what you did," he said, as the studio audience applauded in agreement. "You were brave... you go back with a big smile and be proud of what you did."

Speaking to Klass after his exit, Bell insisted that his struggles on the show had not dissuaded him from practicing opera in the future.

"I'd like to have a go [at opera singing] but I'd like to have more time, because there's just not enough time," he said. "It's a huge amount of pressure [on the show] but I've really loved it, its been fantastic."

Popstar To Operastar continues next Sunday at 8pm on ITV1.

Perdita
04-07-2011, 05:55
Joe McElderry and Cheryl Baker will go head-to-head in next week's Popstar to Operastar live final.

The X Factor winner and Bucks Fizz star were both saved by the British public in tonight's semi-final, after performing a duet together of Andrea Bocelli's 'Canto Della Terra'.

Former Steps singer Claire Richards and Toploader frontman Joseph Washbourn were both voted out of the competition after failing to impress viewers with their own duet of Francesco Sartori and Lucio Quarantotto's classic 'Con te partirò/'Time To Say Goodbye'.

"I am going to miss it, I've had a lovely time," Richards told host Myleene Klass, following the announcement. "It's so nice to be singing again. I am [going to keep it up], I love it!"

"I don't think my heart was going to stand anymore," Washbourn joked, when Klass asked how he was feeling about the decision. "I've had an amazing time. Thanks to all the mentors, all the coaches."

"I'm happy to go back to my day job," he added. "For the next few weeks at least."

Next weekend, Joe McElderry and Cheryl Baker will each perform solo, as well as with their mentors, in an effort to win the second series of Popstar to Operastar.

The Popstar to Operastar final will air next Sunday at 8pm on ITV1

kevspence
10-07-2011, 20:59
I just tuned in to Pop star to Opera star for the first time tonight and apart from Andre Bocelli who is an obvious talent, I think that Rowland Atkinson wearing a curly wig in the Character name of Rowlando Beergarden (or something like that) is the best contestant.

goofus
10-07-2011, 23:01
Popstar to Operstar
I have just watched Popstar to Operastar and for the life in me cannot understand how that wimpy boy won it, I think the tall man named Andrea should have won it, and second place should have gone to the man with the curly wig, I am not sure, but think it may have been Mr Bean acting a part, not too sure, but if it was he has quite a good voice. Anyway how come the voters didn't vote for these two singers instead of the winner is beyond my comprehension.

kevspence
10-07-2011, 23:21
Thats what I thought, the voting in the final was a fix as you could only vote for Cheryl Baker or Joe Mcelderberry, Rowlando Beergarden was better than either of these two but he was denied any chance of votes due to there being no phone line to call for him. I dont think it was actually mr. Bean but on closer inspection of a repeat of the final it sure was his Doppelganger.
Rowan Atkinson is clearly a very talented Opera singer as well as a comedian, Good for him.

goofus
10-07-2011, 23:30
Hi kevspence, I am glad you noticed this "fix" of the votes, I tried hard several times to ring the number and add 03 and 04 to the end, but just got some bozo talking to me on one of the numbers and on the other one I think I may have set up a date with a maniac! I wanted the tall guy to win, as I think he was trying the hardest - he wasnt trying to impress he just stood still with his eyes closed and sang for his supper, and he reached really high notes with no warbling or wavering either, he could be a professional! The curly wigged man I think was Rowan Atkinson as I think he is the brother of Mr Bean, and you are right he is talented and could go on to be an opera singer and get famous like his brother! The girl Cheryl seemed a bit different tonight, she usually judges on Pop Idol I think and was married to a footballer, but as I recall she couldnt sing as a popsinger, and the wimpy boy that won well what can I say, he should have been pushed back as a baby - a reject.

Perdita
11-07-2011, 05:32
Joe McElderry has been crowned the winner of Popstar to Operastar.

The X Factor star topped the public vote ahead of rival finalist Cheryl Baker to emerge victorious from the second series of the ITV singing contest.

The 20-year-old won viewer support after performing alongside Popstar to Operastar mentor Rolando Villazón and belting out a final solo piece earlier tonight.

He later took to the stage with Baker, Villazón and show judge Katherine Jenkins just before phonelines closed.

With the result revealed, McElderry enthusiastically hugged Baker and appeared to be more concerned with the Bucks Fizz star's reaction to her loss rather than his big win.

"I've had an absolute blast with Cheryl," he told show host Myleene Klass. "I love her to bits."

However, Baker insisted that she was happy for McElderry and admitted that she had always tipped him to take the title.

"I didnt expect to get this far and he's fantastic," she said. "I had my money on Joe from the beginning."

McElderry later took to Twitter to celebrate his victory, writing: "Wooop!!!! We did it!!!!! Thankyou soo much to everyone that voted!!!!! Soo exited and happy!!!!!!! (sic)".

McElderry found fame by winning the sixth series of The X Factor in December 2009.

He was dropped from Simon Cowell's record company Syco in April, but hinted this weekend that he may soon be releasing a second studio album.

goofus
11-07-2011, 09:38
Thanks Perdita for your insight. I thought Andrea looked familiar, now I realise who he is - it was the fact he had shaved his beard which foxed me. Seriously, I was just joking around and love Andrea Bocelli, he is brilliance itself and I really do own all his cd's and a dvd or two of performances. However, I do think Cheryl Baker was very good and Joe did do well. I have to admit I don't know Rowlando but he has an excellent voice, but if you do look closely he does have a likeness to Rowan Atkinson as kevspence above said, I just went along with him for a laugh.

Perdita
15-07-2011, 06:38
Joe McElderry has landed a new record deal - just days after winning his latest TV talent contest.

The singer was dropped by Simon Cowell's label, despite scoring a number one single following his 2009 X Factor win.

But after making a comeback to triumph in ITV1's Popstar To Operastar at the weekend, he has now been signed by rival company Universal.

The company said the 20-year-old's next album would be made up of "classic songs". These are expected to include the likes of Time To Say Goodbye, Over The Rainbow and Nessun Dorma, as well I Dreamed A Dream, which gave Cowell's act Susan Boyle international success.

Joe - who was mentored by Cheryl Cole during his run on X Factor - will record the album over the coming weeks.

He said: "Since winning The X Factor in 2009, I have been on an incredible journey.

"My new album is a snapshot of where I am today and I am excited about the opportunity to record and perform some of this amazing repertoire. I hope people join me on my musical journey."

Universal said: "Joe is ready for the next stage in his musical career. His consistently captivating performances on Popstar to Operastar have attracted a whole new audience to the classical crossover genre, as well as taking his loyal fans on a musical journey."

Joe, from South Shields, will release his new album on August 22.

I think this kind of music is better suited to him, I enjoyed his singing on this show, definitely will have a listen to this album

Katy
15-07-2011, 13:16
I think that he'll end up on the west end, hes got the voicce and the acting. I tink he deserved to win and the final 2 were both fantastic

Perdita
15-07-2011, 13:29
I think that he'll end up on the west end, hes got the voicce and the acting. I tink he deserved to win and the final 2 were both fantastic

You are right, Cheryl was very good too, would have been a difficult decision for me to decide who is winner

tammyy2j
15-07-2011, 13:39
Sometimes winning X Factor can be more of hinderance to a career than help

I think Joe will be better suited to this style and genre

kevspence
15-07-2011, 14:50
I do not agree,lets not twist the facts, this Genre is very tough if you judge the contestants against actual Opera class singers instead of themselves attempting to be Opera singers competing against one another. None of the loosley so called Popstars could compete with the Opera trained voice of Rolando Villazon or the Opera trained voice of Katherine Jenkins, nor should we expect them to. If they practice every day for the next 3 to 5 years then it is possible for them to be able to compete at a similar if not quite as high a level.
And Andrea Bocelli is light years ahead of any of these competitors or even Villazon or Jenkins.

I find this an insult to the actual up and coming (yet still unknown Opera singers) who are working so hard to break through in this competetive area of singing, being hi-jacked by over the top media comments similar to the Emperors new clothes about average pop singers singing the equivalent of Opera Karaoke. Once again the lesser qualified are getting all of the mainstream airtime. Joe Mcelderry is at least so far a failed popstar looking for a new angle and if Cheryl Baker was best of the rest (and she was finished 15 years or more ago, then the rest of the oposition must have been laughable.
We must take a step backward and show some respect to the actual singers who work hard day after day year after year to hone their already naturally talented vocals to become Opera stars, not someboday already in the public eye whos manager decides for them that it may be a good career move to try a bit of Opera. With all due respect, I find the whole thing Laughable

goofus
15-07-2011, 15:26
I agree with kevspence. A talented opera singer spends years training to be just that and has more talent in their little finger than any of these competitors, let alone the winner who by rights wasn't that great. As kevspence said in his post - they are winners amongst others of the pop genre, not winners amongst opera singers which would be unheard of. They did well, but let us not overplay their card ... at the best they are pop singers. Joe, whom I hadn't heard of until seeing this show, is obviously famous as a pop singer (I don't think!) and Cheryl who was great in her time and still good up to a point was reasonable in the contest, but certainly no Keri Te Kanawa. There are many young trainee opera singers who have wonderful voices and never given this chance to put themselves forward and have to wait for a big break to kick off their careers, yet we waste good money and time trying to kick-start an already waning career of ex pop-stars. From what I understand Joe only won a talent contest in the first place which projected him into the limelight and obviously even this didn't make him a superstar, as many don't even know who he is. I think he had his chance it is time they gave real talent in opera a chance - where is the "Opera Idol" contest I ask myself?

kevspence
15-07-2011, 15:57
There is no defence to trying to pass off Karaoke as Opera.Pavorotti would turn in his grave, it is all about viewing figures and unfortunately Jo public are ignorant and misinformed. Please give real talent a chance! If you like Opera support it by actually listening to real practitioners not fakes.

Katy
16-07-2011, 20:15
I thought that the concept is a good idea as it introduces opera to people that would not normally watch it.

At the end of the final when Rolando and Katherine were sinigng woth Joe and Cheryl they sounded very good, ten times better than how they sounded aty the begining of the show.

Shows what some training can do. At the end of the day it is a TV sunday night entertainment show its not to find the next glyndebourne star. Its light entertainment.

kevspence
16-07-2011, 20:21
Hi Katy, I agree that is all it is , light entertainment so we ought not to get carried away by Joe and his musical journey, some people are already talking about him being more suited to this genre and even taking over on the west end, lol . I think it would be a good idea though to give some struggling Opera students their own show and see if we can find a rough diamond.