PDA

View Full Version : Keith Duffy's son Jay lands role in Hollyoaks

tammyy2j
07-05-2011, 23:46
Keith Duffy's son Jay has landed a guest role on Hollyoaks, it has been confirmed.

The 15-year-old was recently cast by bosses at the Channel 4 soap and will begin filming at the show's base in Liverpool later this month.

Coronation Street star Keith announced the news during an appearance on RTÉ's The Late Late Show last night, explaining: "Nobody knows yet, but Jay has been auditioning in the UK for the past few weeks and he found out yesterday that he's going to be one of the new stars in Hollyoaks!"

Keith added that Jay secured the role after an acting agent watched him lead the cast of Peter Pan in a school play.

"I have to say, this is nothing to do with me being in the business at all - an agent came to see him when he was doing Peter Pan," he said. "They were looking for an Irish guy in Hollyoaks. They rang Jay up, he went to London, did an audition, did a screen test, they called him back and they gave him the job."

Writing on Twitter after the chatshow appearance, he added: "Jay Duffy starts in Hollyoaks in a couple of weeks! Very proud of him!"

A Hollyoaks spokesperson confirmed Jay's casting to DS this afternoon but said it was too early to reveal the role he will be playing.

However, fans are already speculating that he will appear as a son of Brendan Brady, played by fellow Dubliner Emmett Scanlan. Viewers have already been introduced to Brendan's estranged wife Eileen but haven't yet seen his children.

Jay's role is a guest part but he will appear on screen for a substantial number of episodes later this year.

moonstorm
21-06-2011, 08:30
Keith Duffy's son Jay has landed a role in Hollyoaks.

The 15-year-old actor - who will first appear in the Channel 4 soap in early August - will play newcomer Declan Brady, the son of bad boy gangster Brendan (Emmett J. Scanlan) and Eileen Brady (Rachel Doherty).

While the youngster will first feature in the soap in a guest role, his alter-ego will become a central character in 'Hollyoaks' by the end of the year.

Keith Duffy - who plays barman Ciaran McCarthy in Coronation Street - explained the casting had nothing to do with him, as Jay was first spotted playing the lead role in a school production of 'Peter Pan'.

He said: "I have to say, this is nothing to do with me being in the business at all - an agent came to see him when he was doing 'Peter Pan'. They were looking for an Irish guy in Hollyoaks. They rang Jay up, he went to London, did an audition, did a screen test, they called him back and they gave him the job."

Meanwhile, show bosses are hoping Jay will be a huge hit with female viewers.

A spokesperson added: "He's a little Justin Bieber lookalike and will no doubt be a sure hit with Hollyoaks' female fans."

Perdita
18-07-2011, 16:18
Hollyoaks' new recruit Jay Duffy has revealed the first details of his role as Declan Brady, confirming that he does not share many similarities with his dad Brendan.

The 15-year-old - who is the son of Coronation Street star Keith Duffy - landed his guest part on the soap earlier this year after casting bosses watched him perform in a school production of Peter Pan.

Declan makes his first appearance in the village at the start of next month, allowing viewers to learn more about Brendan's (Emmett Scanlan) background.

Speaking to All About Soap about Declan, Duffy commented: "He's your typical Dublin schoolboy. His parents split up when he was very young, so he doesn't know a lot about Brendan. Declan comes to Chester to have a bit of bonding time with his dad while his mum Eileen goes on a two-week cruise."

He continued: "Declan isn't like Brendan and doesn't realise his dad is the village villain. Declan's a charmer, though - he's going to get to know some of the bad people in Hollyoaks. There's lots of exciting stuff coming up for him, trust me."

Next week's Hollyoaks episodes see the Brendan, Ste and Noah love triangle reach its climax.

Perdita
18-07-2011, 17:35
Hollyoaks star Emmett Scanlan has confirmed that his character Brendan Brady will show his softer side when son Declan arrives in the village next month.

Jay Duffy, son of Coronation Street star Keith Duffy, has been cast in the role of Declan, who turns up to stay with Brendan while his mum Eileen enjoys a two-week holiday.

Speaking to Soaplife about whether Brendan is close to Declan, Scanlan commented: "He wants to be, but he hasn't been around for a lot of the time. He's determined to make the most of this fortnight and use it to get closer to his son."

Asked whether fans will see a different side to Brendan's personality following Declan's arrival, the actor replied: "Yes, a much softer side. My own daughter is in Ireland and I don't see as much of her as I'd like. It hasn't been hard to put myself in Brendan's shoes."

Scanlan also praised 15-year-old Duffy, whose Hollyoaks casting first emerged in early May.

He said: "He's a great kid. I know Keith. He just looked at me and said, 'Emmett, do your best'. I'm really enjoying working with Jay - I think I'm mentally the same age!"

Declan makes his first Hollyoaks appearance in a fortnight's time.

UnionJack
18-07-2011, 18:53
What about Brendans other son Paddy? :/

tammyy2j
19-07-2011, 14:12
http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/JayDuffy_415.jpg

Hollyoaks' new recruit Jay Duffy has revealed the first details of his role as Declan Brady, confirming that he does not share many similarities with his dad Brendan.

The 15-year-old - who is the son of Coronation Street star Keith Duffy - landed his guest part on the soap earlier this year after casting bosses watched him perform in a school production of Peter Pan.

Declan makes his first appearance in the village at the start of next month, allowing viewers to learn more about Brendan's (Emmett Scanlan) background.

Speaking to All About Soap about Declan, Duffy commented: "He's your typical Dublin schoolboy. His parents split up when he was very young, so he doesn't know a lot about Brendan. Declan comes to Chester to have a bit of bonding time with his dad while his mum Eileen goes on a two-week cruise."

He continued: "Declan isn't like Brendan and doesn't realise his dad is the village villain. Declan's a charmer, though - he's going to get to know some of the bad people in Hollyoaks. There's lots of exciting stuff coming up for him, trust me."

Next week's Hollyoaks episodes see the Brendan, Ste and Noah love triangle reach its climax.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a330414/hollyoaks-declan-brady-wont-be-like-brendan.html

lizann
20-07-2011, 16:25
^ Looks like Justin Bieber

Perdita
22-07-2011, 14:52
Coronation Street star Keith Duffy has praised his son Jay's performance on Hollyoaks, promising that he is a "very natural" actor.

Jay was cast in the Channel 4 soap earlier this year and viewers will see him appear in the role of Brendan Brady's (Emmett Scanlan) son Declan from the beginning of next month.

Speaking on today's edition of Lorraine about the 15-year-old's success, Keith commented: "I know he's very eager to do well. I'd love to be able to show him any areas that he might be going wrong in. I've been looking for those areas, and to be honest I haven't been able to find any!

"Anything he's done, he's done very, very well. He's very natural and he doesn't need my help at all."

Jay, who also appeared on the morning programme, confirmed that he has been seeking advice from his father during the filming process.

"If there was ever a scene that I wasn't so sure about - the emotions going on or whatever, I'd always ask him - because obviously he'd be a lot more educated on it than me," he said. "It's always great to have him there. He lets me do my own thing, though, so it's great."

Meanwhile, Keith also discussed his forthcoming return to Coronation Street as Ciaran McCarthy - explaining that his latest Weatherfield stint will be shorter than expected.

"This return to Corrie is not going to be as long as I would have hoped, because I'm kind of needed in Dublin this year," he said.

"Jay has a big exam year, and my little girl Mia, who has autism, it's her last year in [primary] school and the transition to secondary school is going to be a lot of work for everybody. I'm kind of needed there to try and help make that happen."

Keith returns to filming at Coronation Street in September.

alan45
26-07-2011, 12:46
Hollyoaks newcomer Jay Duffy has admitted that he did not expect to land his role on the soap when he auditioned for the part.

The 15-year-old was cast in the Channel 4 show earlier this year and viewers will soon see him introduced as Declan Brady, whose father is village villain Brendan (Emmett Scanlan).

In real life, meanwhile, Jay is the son of Coronation Street and Boyzone star Keith Duffy, who has portrayed the role of Weatherfield's Ciaran McCarthy on and off since 2002.

"I came to London for my Hollyoaks audition. I didn't expect to get it because it was a proper audition," Jay told the Liverpool Echo. "I didn't have a lot of experience of being on camera and I'd only done small things before.

"I thought they would be looking for someone with more experience. But I got the script and had a screen test and I got the part."

Declan's arrival paves the way for viewers to learn more about the background of Brendan, who has now been on screen for almost a year.

Jay added: "I've got lots of good stuff with Brendan… It's brilliant to be working with Emmett, I'm very lucky. We have great fun every day. I've been filming a lot so it's meant long days and early starts, but I'm loving every minute."

Hollyoaks airs Declan's first episode on Tuesday, August 2 at 6.30pm on Channel 4.

Perdita
27-07-2011, 21:06
Jay Duffy has spoken about his upcoming role in Hollyoaks and admitted that he misses his home.

The son of Boyzone's Keith Duffy will first appear in the soap next month as Declan Brady, son of Brendan Brady (Emmett Scanlan).

"I've missed home comforts," he told What's On TV. "My own bed, I miss that a lot. I miss my mum's cooking. That's always a big thing - I miss the roast every night. I've had to have hotel dinner while I'm here so I miss that a lot, but it's good fun."

Duffy also revealed details of his character Declan's storyline, in which he visits soap villain Brendan for the summer.

"Declan is just an ordinary lad from Dublin, a school kid who's coming over to visit his dad for a couple of weeks while his mum goes away, so it's just all about him getting to know his dad," he explained.

"He doesn't know his dad very well at all because his mum and dad split up when he was at a very young age, so he has to really find out what his dad is like.

"He is pretty happy to see his dad to be honest. He's always wanted to chill out with him for a while, but it is pretty awkward at the same time because they know nothing about each other.

"Will Brendan tell his son all about his stuff and what's going on with him? It's all about that sort of thing."

Jay Duffy has previously hinted that Declan will not be like his father Brendan in the soap. Keith Duffy has also praised his son on landing the role, describing him as a "natural actor".

I wish him well :)

Perdita
28-09-2011, 11:37
Hollyoaks star Bronagh Waugh has revealed that she is keen for Jay Duffy to film another stint on the soap.

Duffy appeared on the Channel 4 show in the summer, taking on the role of Declan Brady - nephew of Waugh's character Cheryl and son of bad boy Brendan (Emmett Scanlan).

Waugh told PA at the Inside Soap Awards: "[Jay] tweeted us both and said 'I really miss my auntie and my dad'.

"I really hope he comes back to visit us soon. He was really popular, so hopefully he'll come back. Lovely kid, really nice guy, and a little heartbreaker. Our very own Justin Bieber - got all the teenage girls hearts a flutter."

Discussing the future of her screen family, Waugh continued: "It's a tough time for the Brady bunch but we're working hard and we're going to get back on top. It's going to hot up. So I think next year we've got something really exciting for the family."

Hollyoaks viewers saw Declan leave the village earlier this month following his break staying with his father. Brendan has since been sent to prison after being wrongly accused of evil Silas Blissett's murders.

Perdita
27-10-2011, 14:08
Hollyoaks star Jay Duffy is to reprise his role as Brendan Brady's son Declan, it has been revealed.

The 15-year-old is about to begin filming a short stint with the Channel 4 soap which will see Declan arrive back in the village.

Declan appeared on Hollyoaks for six weeks earlier this year, staying with Brendan while his mum Eileen was away.

Although Brendan (Emmett Scanlan) tried to hide his sexuality from his son, Declan later discovered that his dad is gay and accepted the news following an emotional heart-to-heart.

News of Declan's upcoming return was revealed by Jay's Coronation Street star dad Keith Duffy in an interview with the Galway Advertiser.

Keith told the newspaper: "He's doing the same thing I did and jumping straight in at the deep end. He's doing very well and he's very natural, he has a great instinct. I watched the stuff he did and I was blown away.

"And they're very happy with him - they tried to convince me to let him leave school and they'd pay for a private tutor for him and make him a full-time cast member. I said no because I believe a child should be allowed to be a child, he doesn't need to be working 12 hours a day with adults when he's only 15.

"But I compromised by saying that when he has a mid-term break or holiday he can go to Liverpool and shoot a few episodes, and so he's going over there on Saturday for ten days. He's enjoying it and it's going well."

As Brendan is currently in jail after being wrongly accused of Silas Blissett's evil murders, Hollyoaks bosses are keeping tight-lipped over why Declan returns and when the scenes will air on screen.

However, a Hollyoaks insider told Digital Spy: "Jay Duffy will be returning to Hollyoaks as Brendan's son and Cheryl's nephew. Brendan is having a rough time of it in prison, so perhaps further danger lies ahead for the Irishman."